• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs - Character trailer

dex3108

I actually love main character. He is ordinary, grumpy street guy. I am ok if he is not loveable, why should we love every main character?

Proxy

That was a pretty good trailer. Much better than pretty much everything else they've put out about this game the last couple of months.

SJRB

Gold Member
That was awesome, but god I hate T-Bone so much.

Jordi on the other hand is fucking awesome, so I guess that balances it out. Clara is cool as hell too.

The more they show of the story and characters the less interested I am in the game. Can't quite put my finger on it, it just seems bland and boring.

Marcel

That was awesome, but god I hate T-Bone so much.

Jordi on the other hand is fucking awesome, so I guess that balances it out. Clara is cool as hell too.

Ubisoft HQ, a few months ago:

"Hey, we have this easily detestable character. T-Bone?"

"Yeah. Let's make the DLC all about him."

"Okay. Let's get to work."

Dead

well not really...yet

srsly

T-Bone DLC instead of Jordi or Clara is some total bullshit

R_Deckard

I actually love main character. He is ordinary, grumpy street guy. I am ok if he is not loveable, why should we love every main character?

I think Aiden is a superb character as is jordi and Clara...T-Bone..yeah as others have said like a Trevor kind of guy but just comes across as a bit of a d~ck!!

Looks awesome, great trailer!

Kade

1399566012-watch-dogs.jpg

deadst0rk

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah that blows my mind, really. Ubi had the PERFECT oppertunity for a female protagonist by making Clara the DLC character and they chose this fucking hillbilly who apparently had a stroke and now only knows foreign versions of the word "friend".

I hope he betrays Aiden at some point in the story so I can shoot him in the fucking face with a shotgun.

True. I hated the guts of every GTA 5 main character. Same with Joel in TLOU. While in pure gameplay, I think it doesn't matter how much of an asshole/cool guy the character is. And when getting immersed in the story I think is more important that the main character is interesting, believable, fascinating or has something to say (see GTA5 and TLOU examples above) rather than being a cool/likeable guy.

EDIT: I must add that I still don't have enough information to know if Aiden has those elements, though. So far he looks/acts a bit more plain that I'd like him to be.

sjay1994

Yeah that blows my mind, really. Ubi had the PERFECT oppertunity for a female protagonist by making Clara the DLC character and they chose this fucking hillbilly who apparently had a stroke and now only knows foreign versions of the word "friend".

I hope he betrays Aiden at some point in the story so I can shoot him in the fucking face with a shotgun.

Ubi is no stranger to multiple playable characters in their game. I really don't know more about the story besides the fact Aiden wants vengeance for his dead niece.

But then again, ubi keeps story details very close to the chest for most of their games.

sjay1994

True. I hated the guts of every GTA 5 main character. Same with Joel in TLOU. While in pure gameplay, I think it doesn't matter how much of an asshole/cool guy the character is. And when getting immersed in the story I think is more important that the main character is interesting, believable, fascinating or has something to say (see GTA5 and TLOU examples above) rather than being a cool/likeable guy.

EDIT: I must add that I still don't have enough information to know if Aiden has those elements, though. So far he looks/acts a bit more plain that I'd like him to be.

In terms of the last of us, it was acceptable because the world is shit and everyone is an asshole because of it.

Where as GTA does it because hur hur... its funny.

God, GTA V was the first time a games story felt like a complete waste of time, and probably the first time a games story ever infuriated me because of how point less it was.

Other than some rough dialog/characterization (seems Rockstar has still got this locked down tight), it looks okay I suppose.
Would have preffered a Eugene type character from inFamous:SS, rather than the cliched as hell Tatoo'ed hacker... and I love tatoo'ed women :(
Also, white dreads is always a dangerous thing to attempt. It pretty much almost ruined Nathan Spencer's design. I dont know if this is supposed to a european thing, but even when I lived in europe for 4 years, I never saw this sillyness.

SonicTHP

Neo Member
The more they show of the story and characters the less interested I am in the game. Can't quite put my finger on it, it just seems bland and boring.

I am with you on this.

However, the gameplay concepts are still interesting enough to me that I want to play it. It seems like every trailer shows more story with what feels like a generic character surrounded by other trope characters all shooting at each other and blowing stuff up like a generic action movie.

What started as a game that looked like it could join a timely discussion on personal privacy, surveillance, and security is looking more and more like GTA with a jailbroken smartphone.

Marcel

I am with you on this.

However, the gameplay concepts are still interesting enough to me that I want to play it. It seems like every trailer shows more story with what feels like a generic character surrounded by other trope characters all shooting at each other and blowing stuff up like a generic action movie.

What started as a game that looked like it could join a timely discussion on personal privacy, surveillance, and security is looking more and more like GTA with a jailbroken smartphone.

You'll have to watch the CBS show Person of Interest for that. POI shits on Watch_Dogs from a great height.

sjay1994

Other than some rough dialog/characterization (seems Rockstar has still got this locked down tight), it looks okay I suppose.
Would have preffered a Eugene type character from inFamous:SS, rather than the cliched as hell Tatoo'ed hacker... and I love tatoo'ed women :(
Also, white dreads is always a dangerous thing to attempt. It pretty much almost ruined Nathan Spencer's design. I dont know if this is supposed to a european thing, but even when I lived in europe for 4 years, I never saw this sillyness.

The tattooed chick is a cliche? Really?

If anything, I couldn't help but roll my eyes when they revealed Eugene in Second Son. I am so disappointed that after the great characterization of infamous 2, that second son opted for less fleshed out stereotypes.

Also Rockstar only seems capable of writing assholes and idiots. After playing Max Payne 3 and GTA V, I am convinced red dead was a fluke now.

Ubi can be all over the place when it comes to writing and characters. We will see how it turns out, but Jordi seems great.

sjay1994

You'll have to watch the CBS show Person of Interest for that. POI shits on Watch_Dogs from a great height.

So you've played all of Watch Dogs and know how the story plays out?

Come on. At least let the game come out first and give it a fair chance, rather than simply judging it from trailers.

Marketing TV shows and video games are very different.

Breakage

Characters look incredibly cliched.
Why does a hacktivist have an eye of providence tattoo when the symbol is commonly associated with the Illuminati?
The asian character looks like a Ubisoft remix of Yakuza's Kazuma Kiryu.
The game doesn't seem to have its own identity and just looks like a mashup of overused hacker/surveillance themes.

Marcel

So you've played all of Watch Dogs and know how the story plays out?

Come on. At least let the game come out first and give it a fair chance, rather than simply judging it from trailers.

Marketing TV shows and video games are very different.

Person of Interest has no T-Bone so it automatically wins on characters. We'll see how the game is received and revisit this conversation. Have your damage control ready. :)

mario_O

Does nothing for me, those characters are soo bland..with every new reveal this game looks worse and worse.

Person of Interest has no T-Bone so it automatically wins on characters. We'll see how the game is received and revisit this conversation. Have your damage control ready. :)

Person of Interest has some of the most well-realized characters on television, it isn't even a contest.

sjay1994

I'm just saying give it a chance. I am. We barely know anything about the story. And its been my biggest worry about this game.

And if it ends up sucking, I'll admit it. Hell, I was hyped for second son, and I though they would kill it on a story aspect since they had Troy Baker, Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey, as well as infamous 2.

Nope... was dead wrong. Story and characters were the weakest thing about second son.

Cess007

Okey, first trailer that i actually liked from this game. None so far has hyped me even a bit about WD, but this has done it. Now, i'm actually looking forward to read impression and reviews about the game.

That line from the trailer about 3 million people? From the looks of it, I'd say it's a city of 30000 people, streets are as populated as your regular resort town somewhere in the countryside.

Hoodbury

Looks good but not really a fan of an older white dude being called "T-bone". Seems kinda lame. T-bone is a joke name suburb people use for their dumb friends, not a real nickname an old thug would actually use.

Newlove

Great trailer. I feel like I've been watching promos for this game for an eternity. Just three more weeks and it will finally be out.

Top Bottom