• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Media Coverage [Starts April 23]

This.

If you still have doubts, I drove a pretty huge boat through the water and didn't see anything like that at all.

giphy.gif

did you mean the dots or the wave physics?

Are you the guy that posted the comparison pic in one of the other threads? Something with the antennae, right? Seemed to me that from one angle the antennae is silhouetted by the other making it look like only 1. You can almost see it happening here:

No, I was the guy who posted the comparison pictures. Here's the post you're thinking of.

And when one antenna covers the other, the top floor shouldn't have two "squares" visible. That was my point in that other thread: they turned the top floors of the Sears Tower into an L shape in some of those videos, when it should be a 1×2 rectangle.

Here's a picture of what you refer to, and as you can see, when there is only one antenna visible, there is also only square of the building's original 3×3 visible from that side:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

By contrast, here it is happening in Watch_Dogs where only one antenna is visible, but two of those squares are visible:

58b7fd7cb6a2e01b831c2b5abf288be2.png

No, I was the guy who posted the comparison pictures. Here's the post you're thinking of.

And when one antenna covers the other, the top floor shouldn't have two "squares" visible. That was my point in that other thread: they turned the top floors of the Sears Tower into an L shape in some of those videos, when it should be a 1×2 rectangle.

This is what I'm seeing it. But it's not like that in all of the videos, which is what I'm not getting. Maybe they've gone back and forth on it.

This is what I'm seeing it. But it's not like that in all of the videos, which is what I'm not getting. Maybe they've gone back and forth on it.

No, I think I know what's happening. It's a 2×2 L-shape, hugging a blue column as shown in the image below (that is, they added a red portion up and to the left in this image):

512px-Willis_Tower_tube_structure.svg.png

This means that you can see the L-shape when viewing one of these blue portions, such as here:

23dc0d7012f24c4b8338168df8d0e465.png

But you can't see it if you look at a very specific green column, such as here:
Willis_Tower.png

This means that Ubisoft messed up the tower, but they did it in such a way where you can't see it if you look at it from a very specific 90 degree range.

Nzyme32

I have yet to see the explosions in Watch Dogs achieve the same quality of the original e3 2012 version. I get the impression it is not going to be that quality since we have yet to see it

GavinUK86

I think she looks like a someone named Cary Lousie. I hope she has an accent. Dat 'Stralian accent defecates on any accent in the world except for New Zealand.

If you rewatch the trailers she has a French accent. Probably French-Canadian because Ubisoft.

DrBo42

*Googles Christy Mack*

Her tattoos are horrible. I disagree with your assertion. I think she looks like a someone named Cary Lousie. I hope she has an accent. Dat 'Stralian accent defecates on any accent in the world except for New Zealand. I'm not trying to start a Giant Bomb international flame war so y'all keep me out of your squabbles.
I would argue hacker chick's are equally bad.

No, I think I know what's happening. It's a 2×2 L-shape, hugging a blue column as shown in the image below (that is, they added a red portion up and to the left in this image):

512px-Willis_Tower_tube_structure.svg.png

This means that you can see the L-shape when viewing one of these blue portions, such as here:

23dc0d7012f24c4b8338168df8d0e465.png

But you can't see it if you look at a very specific green column, such as here:
Willis_Tower.png

This means that Ubisoft messed up the tower, but they did it in such a way where you can't see it if you look at it from a very specific 90 degree range.

Yeah you're right that L-shape is incorrect. Maybe they couldn't make it exact due to licensing issues. Kinda like how you can't jump off the Space Needle in inFamous Second Son.

I would argue hacker chick's are equally bad.

Yeah you're right that L-shape is incorrect. Maybe they couldn't make it exact due to licensing issues. Kinda like how you can't jump off the Space Needle in inFamous Second Son.

If that were the case, they probably wouldn't be calling it the Willis Tower in-game. Then again, these wikis might be using tentative information, but if they indeed call it the Sears/Willis tower in-game, then there wouldn't be an issue with using the likeness of the building itself.

Edit: The first wiki I link mentions that it might be the "Barnes Building," but that still doesn't necessarily excuse the following:

Heck, Rockstar's "Rotterdam Tower" looks more like the Empire State Building than this thing does the Willis Tower (I might be the only person in the Chicago Land area who calls it that), and they most likely didn't have the licensing, either (hence the altered name)!

DrBo42

If that were the case, they probably wouldn't be calling it the Willis Tower in-game. Then again, these wikis might be using tentative information, but if they indeed call it the Sears/Willis tower in-game, then there wouldn't be an issue with using the likeness of the building itself.

Heck, Rockstar's "Rotterdam Tower" looks more like the Empire State Building than this thing does the Willis Tower (I might be the only person in the Chicago Land area who calls it that), and they most likely didn't have the licensing, either (hence the altered name)!
Yeah the wiki means pretty much nothing at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah the wiki means pretty much nothing at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

From this thread on a Watch_Dogs-specific forum:

HzMFf0tl.jpg

Yep, it's the Barnes Building in-game. I still think they could have modified the tower in a more subtle way, though: what they ended up doing effectively compromised the tower's look from 75% of its horizontal viewing angles, and virtually every angle when seeing the building from above.

But hey, at least they're not claiming that they recreated the Willis/Sears Tower. That's good, because that tends to tick me off in a lot of fictional media.

Edit: The first wiki I link mentions that it might be the "Barnes Building," but that still doesn't necessarily excuse the following:

Licensing issues make no sense. It'd be like forcing every street artist on Michigan Avenue to pay a fee to paint the Sears Tower.

The extra protrusion in the top floors might actually be for story reasons: on the real thing, the closest that the 110th floor's sides come to having a straight vertical shot to street level is obscured by the entrance foyer. The game designers might have a sequence planned to have a person get knocked out of one of the uppermost floors and hit the sidewalk below, which would require either rotating the side of the building that the entrance is on, rotating the building itself, or adding this extra portion to the upper floors. If my hypothesis here is true, then they would be killing two birds with one stone with the last option also noticeably changing the aesthetics of the building.

The name and visual likeness alterations were probably primarily done for the same reason that they apparently changed all of the district names in the city, whatever that might be.

Pandemic

The screenshots on page 3 look pretty sick, cheers for sharing.

Playstation Access started the coverage terribly... Has little relevance to Watch Dogs.

Top Bottom