• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

I'd argue that Last Light and Sleeping Dogs are basically next gen on ultra

Maybe even BF3

The former two burn up videocards

Honestly, games are outperforming hardware at a frightening rate right now imo
True and true. I'm kind of scared there's going to be a rude awakening as far as prices on cards go since people have been getting great graphic performance on older cheap cards for so long thanks to games being held back by 8 year old hardware. Once that floor gets bumped up, it's going to be way more expensive to max your games and even if "normal" settings are still superior to the console versions, people will always be chasing that max setting. Interesting times ahead.

I have an i5-3750K, but I'm sure that would kill most other octo-cores out there. Hell, the only company with physical 8 cores is AMD, and they aren't even that good.

Time to throw this bitch into ultra and own it!

Also, I fucking hate how you can only get the digital version via UPlay...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I meet the ULTRA specs to a tee. I don't see why you would even need a CPU like a 3930k for that. I feel like even good 2500/2600k CPU's should still be good but the GPU will play a part more when you have a good CPU.

slapnuts

I'd argue that Last Light and Sleeping Dogs are basically next gen on ultra

Maybe even BF3

The former two burn up videocards

Honestly, games are outperforming hardware at a frightening rate right now imo

ehhh...i would say "cross-gen" at best bro. Still to this day a lot of people are underestimating what the bar will be set from the PS4 graphically..especially 1st party games. It is sad indeed that we PC gamers must wait on new consoles to raise the bar but that is just the nature of the beast i guess..its not like the early 2000's anymore..things are much different.

Gumbie

This 8 core thing sounds like an AMD partnership, to be honest... But I do have a GTX 670, so the VRAM should be fine...

I would have laughed if they said the recommended was 8GB GDDR5.

I was thinking the same thing, which is weird because they already have one with nvidia for the GPU stuff.

inherendo

I have an i5-3750K, but I'm sure that would kill most other octo-cores out there. Hell, the only company with physical 8 cores is AMD, and they aren't even that good.

Time to throw this bitch into ultra and own it!

Also, I fucking hate how you can only get the digital version via UPlay...

Kinda hate this comment. All EA games after Origin's release were origin only. All Ubisoft games after Uplay's release requires Uplay. even when bought from steam store

The Cowboy

Dam, my CPU will melt - at least I got just over 3 years out of it.
---
Time to start saving for a new MoBo and CPU.

Xdrive05

So glad I sprung for the i7 3770k for my next-gen-port PC. Looks like it will be getting a workout. Just like I figured.

So I have a i7 2600k at OC at 4.5ghz, Crossfire 7970's, 32gb ram ddr3. I should be fine? I just don't know about that cpu. I thought we only have so far up to Quad Cores? and 2600k has hyperthreading or something?

I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.

Kinda hate this comment. All EA games after Origin's release were origin only. All Ubisoft games after Uplay's release requires Uplay. even when bought from steam store

Honestly, I have Trackmania 2 and FC3 on Steam, and they don't even go through UPlay anymore, even if it runs in the background. Also, Origin is set up better than UPlay.

slapnuts

Sleeping Dogs and BF3 are maybes, but Last Light looks fucking amazing on PC.

Yeah it does..i agree as i played it but i just think part of that is from the "clean" look of it with everything turned up..i am talking more graphical effects that we simply are not seeing yet that we will start seeing soon...better use of shaders, new graphic effects,etc..hyper realistic lighting,etc..

Edit: I edited my post you quoted..i probably didnt make myself clear at first when you quoted me

inherendo

Dam, my CPU will melt - at least I got just over 3 years out of it.
---
Time to start saving for a new MoBo and CPU.

Careful with the platform you choose. A lot of sockets are nearing EOL for both companies. I believe z87 is only going to support one more after haswell.

inky

Well, I'm on the recommended so i guess my PC is not yet super ancient. But this game is going to be online, right? I'll probably never play it then.

Probably worth noting that Watch_Dogs PC will have nVidia exclusive effects, at the very least tessellation. Same with Assassin's Creed IV.

NVIDIA-Game-Technology-Leadership.png

weird no, physx? I guess they are using their own proprietary thing.

Is watch_dog running on anvil?

mephixto

Banned
Did anyone else not catch this lol

You will be just fine. It's weird that they list a 3930k UNLESS this is one of the first games to benefit from the new consoles being those have 8 core CPU's.

If I'm not wrong the 3930k and the others proc from series E only have 6 cores.

They've been stuck at seven cores with the i7. Don't think we'll need more.

The processor nomenclature is deceiving, i7s do not, in fact, have 7 cores, but rather four physical cores with two virtual threads for each, which makes Windows see it as eight cores.

The hyperthreading technology does deliver more performance when using applications optimized for more processing threads, but it isn't quite the same as having more physical cores.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think anyone with a 2600k or up should be fine with this game. I feel like a 3930k is overkill but welcome when it comes to this but can anyone else chime in on the potential of the new console development impacting PC's? If they are shooting for a recommended (I know this is just the recommended and not min) then they must have some optimizations in place which would run the game better (duh) at the recommended spec. I'm a happy camper since I have a 3930k and feel like it's actually going to come in handy for once instead of churning through everything I throw at it.

It's the GPU and VRAM that seem to be the issue with most of us since even with my rig I have a 2GB VRAM ceiling. I can't do anything about that until around February so I'm going for at least 2 GPU's with a minimum of 4GB.

If I'm not wrong the 3930k and the others proc from series E only have 6 cores.

6c/12t, yes. The more the merrier and if the discussion is there, it would be interesting to see if the impact of the new 8 core consoles has some bearing on maybe seeing better optimizations and utilization's when it comes to PC HW.

CLARITY EDIT - 3820's are 4c/8t. Still gangster though.

anyhow, ps4 version cancelled. PC is much more exciting.

Guess ps4 is just gonna be a ressogun machine for the time being... o yeah, #driveclub

VillageBC

Sounds like a lazy port if it needs that as minimum, oh, ubisoft you say?

That's how I read it, but I hope not so i'm hopeful. I don't find their recommended to be at all unreasonable.

x64 required, about time.
DX11 required, finally.
8gb ram, finally use some of my ram.
7850, not exactly budget breaking.

Eusis

Seems like we're hearing the first death knells of playing modern games on dualcores.
Witcher 2 was bad enough on an E8400 that I kind of consider that the start, but I guess that really isn't the same as explicitely barring dual cores.

... I wonder if the 8 core AMDs really offer that much of a benefit over 4 core Intels, Witcher 2 ran better on the 4 cores than the 6 cores despite being designed to be able to take advantage of them, but maybe Ubisoft does something different (or dumb) enough to actually merit it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Am I screwed then...

• Core i5-2500
  • 16GB Ram
  • x64 Windows 8.1

What's your gpu. Also hell no at the very least you should have better IQ than the consoles. If your gpu is slouching upgrade it accordingly when the time comes and you see benchmarks.

That's how I read it, but I hope not so i'm hopeful. I don't find their recommended to be at all unreasonable.

x64 required, about time.
DX11 required, finally.
8gb ram, finally use some of my ram.
7850, not exactly budget breaking.

Those all seem reasonable but the recommended IvyBridge i7 kind of comes out of no where.

Top Bottom