• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PC specs (x64 only, Quad Core minimum, recommended 8-core and 2GB VRAM)

Ty4on

Or a cheap, otherwise vastly inferior AMD CPU. Like noted they'd probably have to do something that really depends on those 8 threads to cancel out how much faster and more effective Intel CPUs have been, and I can't help but wonder if they could've better optimized for 4 cores without sacrificing anything.

Though I imagine if it IS doing something like that going with 8 threads will shut it up.

Or they are lying? :p

The 8350 does have the theoretical performance of something between the K-series i5 and i7 (quad core sans or with HT) and in certain tasks beats the i7, but an overclocked 2600k/3770k/4770k should be more powerful than even the 5Ghz eight core. You also have the simple fact that the AMD cores are really weak so if a thread is suddenly heavy to run (explosion/physics/whatever) the game will chug down more. Crysis 3 seemed to do that though I sadly have no better proof than this.

That's a very silly thing to say.

I probably should have said on a single card. Obviously you can brute force anything with enough money given SLI and Crossfire.

The fact that you can't expect to lock games on ultra at 60 with 600 dollar + cards is worrisome to say the least imo

kiguel182

We pc gamers have been living the good life for a while, running console current gen games at higher res and framerates with affordable rigs. I think things are going to change :/

"There’s a storm coming, Mr. Wayne. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you’re all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us."

Reminded me of this, sorry lol

Korezo

Has ubisoft shown a video of pc exclusive graphical features? Because with these specs the pc version must look way better than the rest.

No, each Piledriver module has 2 128 bit FPUs. And they are clocked at more than twice the frequency of Jaguar.

You still have only 4FPUs versus 8 FPUs, so with FP intensive code Jaguar has an advantage.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1668525&postcount=69

Bulldozer module (2 int cores + FP coprocessor) can only execute two 128 bit floating point vector operations per cycle. These can be FMAs, muls, adds or simple float ops. But if your x86 code doesn't have FMAs, BD can only execute two 128 bit floating point adds OR muls per cycle (and simple float operations also use the same FMA pipelines, reducing the cycles available for FMAs/muls/adds). This results in a 4*2 = 8 flops sustained throughput (for a two core module).

In comparison, each Jaguar core can execute two 128 bit floating point vector operations per cycle. Both vector pipelines support most of the simple vector operations. Addition and multiplication are split along the two pipes, so it can co-issue an add and mul (even separate ones) per cycle. This results in 4*2*2 = 16 flops sustained throughput (for two cores).

So Jaguar should be faster in float/vector math heavy legacy programs/games that do not support and extensively utilize FMA3/FMA4 (AVX support isn't enough, since it's a separate instruction set).

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1668532&postcount=70

If the algorithm can be represented by series of multiplies followed by dependent additions, the FMA will help BD a lot. But no algorithm is pure FMA, and all float instructions (even the simplest ones) are using the same FMA pipelines. These pipelines can be a bottleneck in many algorithms. Sometimes it's better to have four small pipelines (2 x Jaguar cores) than two heavy hitters (one BD module).

I am excited for our 64bit future.

I thought we would be here when ubisoft announced a 64bit patch for Far Cry.

I'm still waiting for that one. :'(

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Watch Dogs is an open world game so one would expect beefier CPU requirements than a tight corridor shooter. I can't wait to see GTA5's PC requirements, lol.

I do understand why so many people are surprised by the 8 core cpu recommendation, especially here on GAF . We have known for almost two years that the next gen consoles were going to run 8 core cpu's, you didn't think this would translate to PC? I just wonder if the rumors are true that AMD is stopping the FX series? Maybe they will make a 8 core desktop APU?

LCGeek

formerly sane
I get this criticism when it comes to DX9 and 10. But 11? Really?

Greatest thing I've seen all day lmao

Cause 11 be it 11.1 or 11.2 none of them are what glide or mantle is period no dicussion and until your crowd sees it as such oh well. This would reduce such need and benefit hardware of all levels no reason not to have it besides bullshit industry politics.

Gamers pc gamers should be boycotting ms and nvidia until they offer real solutions of their own or join forces to let our pcs do what we know they can not tolerating certain status quo thinking. Only reason they don't is cause they are content to play us against each other for profit and see no reason to change the status quo. This harms gamers and it's odd how people fight against actual progress instead of welcoming it.

I'm out for now on the subject want my response just pm me.

demolitio

Sounds like an Ubisoft game. Their recent PC history has been horrible and I can't really trust them on this one either.

All Ubisoft games are classified as "Wait and see" for me on on PC. They just burned me too many times before with Splinter Cell Blacklist being the only real gem that made me question that line of thinking. Not to mention, this is a start of a new generation which will probably go just as well as previous transitions where developers just play up to the console's strengths and then just use brute force on the PC version which didn't always work out. A year or two from now, we'll get past that bullshit cycle and everything will be right in the world.

I do think I'll go all AMD for my next upgrade though which I've done before (spider platform as they called it) but moved away from. With them owning the console space and now pimping out Mantle, I think they're in good shape for a change.

Durante

You still have only 4FPUs versus 8 FPUs, so with FP intensive code Jaguar has an advantage.
That's just completely wrong. Each Bulldozer (and later) module has 2 128 bit FMAC engines. Each Jaguar core has 1.

And, as I said before, the Bulldozer units are generally clocked at >twice the frequency. For generally >4 times the total FP performance.

Check your sources.

Deepo

Will be interesting to see how much the performance improves with Intel's hyperthreading as some games actually run worse with it activated. Like AC3, where a 2600K is behind the 2500K: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/prozessoren/2013/intel-core-i7-4960x-im-test/25/

No, that one was a already a bottleneck when I sold mine four years ago.

Not even the newest 6 core from Intel can stay above 60 fps in AC3 I see. Such a bad port. And thanks for stopping me from buying 3770k to replacementdocs my 3570k :)

Eusis

Or they are lying? :p

The 8350 does have the theoretical performance of something between the K-series i5 and i7 (quad core sans or with HT) and in certain tasks beats the i7, but an overclocked 2600k/3770k/4770k should be more powerful than even the 5Ghz eight core. You also have the simple fact that the AMD cores are really weak so if a thread is suddenly heavy to run (explosion/physics/whatever) the game will chug down more. Crysis 3 seemed to do that though I sadly have no better proof than this.
Yeah, I'm not too worried, and my worries are more that it's a poorly optimized PC port and not that we have something that actually truly needs 8 cores. Though I'm suspecting it's less lying and more working off of PS4/XB1 which DO have 8 core CPUs... that are pretty damn weak compared to a lot of PC CPUs and is more a specialized laptop CPU anyway.

Though I can't rule out cutting a deal with AMD, but given their nVidia promo thing... well, I guess Intel's not really doing enough on the CPU side aside from offering FFXIV with new CPUs on Newegg.

Ty4on

^^^^^^^ Regarding the consoles I think both only have like six cores dedicated to the games on top of being weak. I'm no game developer, but I don't see this game struggling under an i5. I think there are some deals in place, but they could also just write that to A: make the game seem more impressive and B: save their skin when someones Intel dual core (C2D or even worse a dual core Pentium 4) doesn't run the game :p

4 working at 4Ghz still beat 8 working at 1.6/1.75...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
x64 only? Finally, time to wave goodbye to x32.

Starting to happen. Battlefield 4 is the gunshot with x64 requirement out of the gate.

It seems CPU and GPU upgrades are going to happen faster than expected which is just downright insane since I figured only the GPU was going to be needed to be upgraded over the next two years. But if things are going 8-core recommended... geez...

Isn't Jaguar like a dual core i7 clocked at 1.8 GHz or something like that as far as performance goes? I think I remember Durante or somebody saying that in a thread once.

Eusis

Starting to happen. Battlefield 4 is the gunshot with x64 requirement out of the gate.

It seems CPU and GPU upgrades are going to happen faster than expected which is just downright insane since I figured only the GPU was going to be needed to be upgraded over the next two years. But if things are going 8-core recommended... geez...
BF4's only doing that for the beta, though even that's saying something.

And the more I think about it, it really IS smartest to hold off on upgrading or at least building PCs until this generation's settled in some. Perhaps many video cards from when the last generation started were able to hold you through most of the generation, but the Core 2 line didn't come out until early 2006, post 360 launch, and that was THE CPU line that readily handled 99% of console ports.

Durante

I have no idea how to compare CPUs. I have a i7 2700k @ 4.6, will that be enough for WD at 1440p?
First of all, resolution is independent of your CPU, completely. Secondly, an i7 (regardless of which revision) at 4.6 GHz will run circles around this game.

Wag

Hard to believe they're saying a i7-3770k isn't "Ultra". Mine is clocked @ 4.4GHz and I can't get it stable any higher than that.

I think I'll be fine with my 3 Titans.:p

That's just completely wrong. Each Bulldozer (and later) module has 2 128 bit FMAC engines. Each Jaguar core has 1.

And, as I said before, the Bulldozer units are generally clocked at >twice the frequency. For generally >4 times the total FP performance.

Check your sources.

You are comparing different pipelines.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1668532&postcount=70

BD vector pipelines (one module = two cores):
2 x FMA/FADD/FMUL/OtherFloat
2 x MMX

Bobcat/Jaguar vector pipelines (two cores):
2 x FMUL/OtherFloat/MMX
2 x FADD/OtherFloat/MMX

MMX = integer / ALU / comparisons / logic ops / permute / insert / etc (not floating point processing)

If you do pure floating point vector crunching, two Bobcat/Jaguar cores can issue four instructions per clock, while BD module can only issue two (as the MMX pipelines are unused). Both architectures can decode/retire four. Of course in most algorithms you do some MMX ops: logic ops (*-1 = xor highest bit, abs = mask highest bit, etc), permute/insert (to combine/separate lanes and to SOA pack/unpack, etc). However it requires you to have exact 1:1 mix of MMX/FP operations for Bulldozer to catch up (reach 4 uops per cycle), or alternatively some other integer/ALU code to use the remaining of the four fetch/retire slots (loop body, counters, address calculation, etc).

derExperte

Not even the newest 6 core from Intel can stay above 60 fps in AC3 I see. Such a bad port. And thanks for stopping me from buying 3770k to replacementdocs my 3570k :)

I hope nobody buys anything new just based on recommended specs. Some people tend to immediately panic when they read that stuff, was the same in the BF4 thread. But before we have actual benchmarks it's impossible to know what has what influence. My 2500K could still run this better than a newer AMD 8core, who knows.

Tenck

Did anyone else not catch this lol

I was joking.

The processor nomenclature is deceiving, i7s do not, in fact, have 7 cores, but rather four physical cores with two virtual threads for each, which makes Windows see it as eight cores.

The hyperthreading technology does deliver more performance when using applications optimized for more processing threads, but it isn't quite the same as having more physical cores.

I was joking.

I think that not many people in this thrrad know i7 id 4 cores.
Intel i7 six core costs like the xbone xD

I was joking.

LOL

Yeah, I a saw it and was like.........errrrrrrrrr.....wut??

I blew it off as either a REALLY BAD typo or someone completely ignorant of PC Hardware...LOL

I was joking.

Didn't think people would have taken me seriously.

riflen

Come to papa:

Haswell-E-platform-600x394.jpg

Zornack

First of all, resolution is independent of your CPU, completely. Secondly, an i7 (regardless of which revision) at 4.6 GHz will run circles around this game.

A higher res really won't put anymore strain on CPU, that's all GPU dependent? What's CPU dependent in these sorts of games?

-PXG-

I'm getting it on PS4 since I need another game at launch anyway, but I was thinking about getting it on double dipping on PC. I should definitively easily run this game without any issues. I just wish more devs made some kind benchmark tools/ apps before launch.

Top Bottom