• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs PR stunt sees bomb squad called to evacuate building

adj_noun

I always wonder what the brainstorming sessions are like when this was the best idea they had. I mean, what did they reject?

"We could stand in the street, firing a shotgun into the air and screaming WATCHDAAAAWGS!"

"Damn it, Danny! Use your head! We don't have the budget for a shotgun!"

jxvGjBqmVGlCi.jpg

Thanks man, I needed that :)

down 2 orth

Does this mean ubisoft gets stuck with the bill for deploying the bomb squad? Its a funny story but it would have been funnier if there was a fancy new phone inside the safe.

Fucking despicable. Literally a big company inducing fear and terror in innocent people for profits. Someone really ought to be arrested/sued to kingdom come.

stufte

Fucking despicable. Literally a big company inducing fear and terror in innocent people for profits. Someone really ought to be arrested/sued to kingdom come.

The terrorists have won.

Seriously though, this is the world we live in and it's sad that something like this can't go down without someone thinking it's a bomb.

It's not criminal, just naive.

They couldn't even put the Ubisoft logo on the box. Did they think making it look like a bomb was really worth it. Sure it got them publicity but somebody should know that someone will lose their jobs over this.

Mooninites.png

AkuMifune

Banned
Didn't something like this happen years ago with another video game?

I found this gem...

Patrons outside the Degree bar in Auckland, New Zealand got a bit of a shock when a man with bandaged hands showed up, pulled a gun and started threatening people with it. People were shouting, diving behind tables and were "pretty terrified," according to manager Steph Kurtovich.

But he was only kidding! The whole thing was just a stunt to promote Ubisoft's new Splinter Cell: Conviction. Unfortunately, the gun apparently looked pretty real, according to Senior Sergeant Ben Offner, who said the police couldn't tell it was a fake until they'd taken it from the guy. As you might guess, he was not amused.

"We consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy," he said.

Something like this would have been considered incredibly fucking stupid and dangerous pre-9/11.

I'm guessing you never had to deal with a bomb threat at school when you were a kid.

Is that actually common? Never heard about one around here. Though there was one at the post office a few weeks ago.

VariantX

There are just things you don't do in this climate. Sending strange, unidentified, black boxes to office buildings is one of them. Whoever signed off on this needs to be fired, and the company fined to hell and back. This kind of marketing is not OK for any reason.

Kinsei

Banned
Is that actually common? Never heard about one around here. Though there was one at the post office a few weeks ago.

No clue if it's common or not, but it did happen at my middle school. It annoys me whenever people say it's all in good fun when "pranks" and PR stunts like this pop up. You don't joke about that shit.

MCN

Banned
I love it when PR stunts backfire. They should have sent the safe to IGN instead, I'm sure they'd appreciate the freebie. Might have added a point or two to the score.

Something like this would have been considered incredibly fucking stupid and dangerous pre-9/11.

I'm guessing you never had to deal with a bomb threat at school when you were a kid.

You are right, I do not recall any bomb threats at my school.

I don't feel that old, but it sure does feel like times have changed.

Siegcram

Man Ubi's PR squad is totally going nuts with this whole hacking thing, aren't they?
Who thought this would be a good idea?

Top Bottom