• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

Are they just delaying this to soften the blow of the cancellation later, like with Colonial Marines?

I don't think Ubisoft has thought that far ahead yet.

Their priority is getting five unique SKUs of Watch_Dogs (PS3, PS4, 360, XB1, PC) to release simultaneously by the end of June. All of their resources go towards that common goal.

Putting the Wii U version on the backburner is indicative of a future cancellation, but it doesn't necessarily imply that Ubisoft has already cancelled the Wii U version. Once Watch_Dogs goes gold, that's when they'll decide whether the opportunity cost is greater to have those guys return to release the Wii U SKU (despite knowing full well that a delayed version will hamper the already low sales the Wii U version would have accrued), or whether they'll go and work on other projects instead.

Because they have not taken action to have the release of Wii U WatchDogs coincide with the other SKUs.

There are actions Nintendo could take to get the game to release at the same time as the other SKUs. Either Nintendo believes it not worth the effort or they believe that WatchDogs will benefit more from a delay. Either way, this means they are okay with the delay.

The delay was just announced today, and I'm not sure what actions Nintendo could take at this point in the Wii U's life that would convince Ubisoft.

If you're talking about Nintendo failing to get solid third party support in the early stages of the Wii U because of incompetence, sure, that's totally correct. But you seem to have a very poor grasp on how third party relations work and just how bad the Wii U is selling if you think that Ubisoft delaying/stealth canceling an SKU is due to Nintendo deliberately interfering.

jmizzal

You have to understand that Ubisoft is delaying Watch_Dogs Wii U to an undetermined future date because they literally don't think it's worth it to have staff dedicated to getting it out.

That's where it's similar to Aliens: Colonial Marines...we saw the same kind of situation there.

Once a publisher has deemed a version not worthy to prioritize release, it's very easy for that same publisher to not even end up bothering to release the final product.

Sega never came out and said ACM will be delayed on WiiU, they just refused to comment on it and let it die. Ubisoft has said its coming at a later date, you were saying before that if the game was canceled they wouldnt say so during the rumors so they can say it now during the quarterly meeting. Now that they said its not canceled during the QM your saying they are still going to cancel it, that makes no sense. I think if they were going to cancel the game, now is the time and not waste time and money on the game, just like they did with delaying Rayman and just like they did with delaying Watch Dogs the first time.

You're not the only one. Whenever there is a third party game I'm interested in, I always buy the Wii U version if there is one. I bought black Ops 2,ghosts,nfs most wanted, Deus Ex director's cut, darksiders 2, splinter cell blacklist, fotns: Ken's rage 2,just dance 4 and just dance 2014 on Wii U, despite having also a ps3,a 360 and a gaming PC.

I hate those so-called nintendo fans that use nintendo platforms as first-party machines. They are part of the problem

Rather than blaming Nintendo's fans, it might be wiser to blame Nintendo for failing to give Wii U owners a reason to make the system their primary platform for core third-party software.

Sega never came out and said ACM will be delayed on WiiU, they just refused to comment on it and let it die. Ubisoft has said its coming at a later date, you were saying before that if the game was canceled they wouldnt say so during the rumors so they can say it now during the quarterly meeting. Now that they said its not canceled during the QM your saying they are still going to cancel it, that makes no sense. I think if they were going to cancel the game, now is the time and not waste time and money on the game.

Actually, yes they did.

Aliens: Colonial Marines launches on February 12, 2013, Sega announced this morning. The Gearbox Software-developed game was previously given a "fall 2012" launch window, and was planned as a Wii U hardware launch title (the game is also planned for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC), though no hard date was ever given before. In fact, despite the February 12 date announcement, the game's Wii U version still doesn't have a date. "A release date for the announced Wii U version will be revealed at a later time," the press release reads.

Press release:

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be available in stores across the globe on February 12, 2013 on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. A release date for the announced Wii U™ version will be revealed at a later time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/aliens-colonial-marines-delayed-to-february-2013/

Zalman

They should delay the other versions too so it can come out simultaneously on every platform.

rayman01.jpg

Mlatador

Banned
Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

This could be true and would actually make sense, but I don't think Nintendo told them. I think it's rather Ubisoft themselves decided it would be a better idea to launch after Mario Kart 8, because that is without a doubt a huuuuge title that will not only sell a ton of Wii U consoles but also start a whole new "momentum".

Was probably cancelled during the decision to delay the game first time around. Now it's letting people down softly until confirmation.

Or

It will see a September release and will be Ubi's last major title on the platform

Jrs3000

This is getting Aliens CM treatment. Id be surprised if it releases now

I was thinking the same thing. If it actually does come out later, it will not sale no where nearly as good as it would releasing with the other consoles because I'm sure the Ubisoft marketing blitz for the game would be over and Nintendo is not going to advertise for this game.

boo

Gold Member
So Watch Dogs is coming to Wii U, only delayed. Annoyed that it is delayed, happy that I get to play Watch Dogs on my Wii U.

Breemin

Makes sense, would be nice for Wii U owners if they used the GamePad as a cell phone with those in game features.

I have a Wii U, but will get it only for PS4 anyway.

The delay was just announced today, and I'm not sure what actions Nintendo could take at this point in the Wii U's life that would convince Ubisoft.

If you're talking about Nintendo failing to get solid third party support in the early stages of the Wii U because of incompetence, sure, that's totally correct. But you seem to have a very poor grasp on how third party relations work and just how bad the Wii U is selling if you think that Ubisoft delaying/stealth canceling an SKU is due to Nintendo deliberately interfering.

I'm under the impression that plaftorm makers know the situation of their licensed projects prior to the press, either mandatory or as a courtesy.

Given the pedigree of WatchDogs, the actions I'm referring to are more direct. As in Nintendo helping development through manpower or funds.

jmizzal

Actually, yes they did.

Aliens: Colonial Marines launches on February 12, 2013, Sega announced this morning. The Gearbox Software-developed game was previously given a "fall 2012" launch window, and was planned as a Wii U hardware launch title (the game is also planned for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC), though no hard date was ever given before. In fact, despite the February 12 date announcement, the game's Wii U version still doesn't have a date. "A release date for the announced Wii U version will be revealed at a later time," the press release reads.

Press release:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/aliens-colonial-marines-delayed-to-february-2013/

But Watch Dogs doesnt have a release date on any system right now, and Ubisoft didnt just put it in a press release the CEO said it himself said it.

maxcriden

Because they have not taken action to have the release of Wii U WatchDogs coincide with the other SKUs.

There are actions Nintendo could take to get the game to release at the same time as the other SKUs. Either Nintendo believes it not worth the effort or they believe that WatchDogs will benefit more from a delay. Either way, this means they are okay with the delay.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think they're okay with it so much as it is probably very low on their list of priorities. They must know that before they worry about a third party, M-rated action shooter selling well on Wii U, they have to worry about making games themselves that are going to be system sellers.

I'm under the impression that plaftorm makers know the situation of their licensed projects prior to the press, either mandatory or as a courtesy.

Given the pedigree of WatchDogs, the actions I'm referring to are more direct. As in Nintendo helping development through manpower or funds.

There's no evidence Nintendo is really eager to do that kind of moneyhatting right now. They seem more interested in farming out development of spin-off products related to their franchises, to third parties, than in specifically trying to get multiplatform games on Wii U.

Jagsrock

Banned
I wonder what exactly is giving them so much trouble that they need so many people and so much time to finish the damn game.

And maybe whatever compensation Nintendo hypothetically offered weren't enough for Ubisoft. Or maybe both sides crunched the numbers and realized that dumping a bunch of funds and manpower into a version that will barely sell and not make back its costs is a waste of money and resources for both.

There are far more explanations that boil down to "The Wii U isn't selling well and releasing a hardcore new IP in 2014 for it is a bad idea, and those resources might be better used elsewhere" (ie, what Guillemot actually says) or, "Iwata delayed third party games for his own system because of an investor meeting where he said that he wanted to attract third parties by selling more Wii Us."

edit: as Aquamarine says, if the game even comes out then I will be surprised and would think very much that Nintendo's intervention was a deciding factor

If Watch_Dogs Wii U actually does end up releasing, I agree that its release will have been incentivized by Nintendo.

LoveCake

You're not the only one. Whenever there is a third party game I'm interested in, I always buy the Wii U version if there is one. I bought black Ops 2,ghosts,nfs most wanted, Deus Ex director's cut, darksiders 2, Rayman legends, splinter cell blacklist, fotns: Ken's rage 2,just dance 4 and just dance 2014 on Wii U, despite having also a ps3,a 360 and a gaming PC.

I hate those so-called nintendo fans that use nintendo platforms as first-party machines. They are part of the problem

I am the same, i have Black Opps 2, Ghosts, NFS-MWU, Splinter Cell Blacklist & Injustice Gods Amongst Us for my WiiU, i have WatchDogs on order for my WiiU but i cannot really justify paying more for inferior games with poor online & i hate to say it but no DLC either.

Surely this won't affect sales on the Wii-U platform.

Well i will be switching my order from WiiU to PS4 so there is one lost sale on the WiiU right there.

jeffers

Is there any special foods to get to your plane of existence? Nintendo has zero leverage over ubisoft - even if they did both parties are fully aware a delay in comparison to the other platforms would destroy sales. Plus we already know ubi has moved its resources off the project to the others.

rhoq

Unless it's your only console, chances are you won't wait for the eventual Wii U release. I won't. When it fails, Ubisoft will use it as an excuse to drop all support for the system.

Effect

it will probably end up being cancelled in the end. UbiSoft is just really bad at removing band-aids.

At this point I'm considering it canceled. If it actually releases that will be a nice surprise but no longer going to spend time thinking or worrying about it. Thanks for nothing Nintendo.

Edit:

Yes I blame this on Nintendo and not Ubisoft. I blame Nintendo for not doing enough to make the Wii U sell. To make it appealing. For not advertising the system for an entire year. For not helping nurture buying habits that would give the third party support they do have more confidence. I put the blame completely on Nintendo. If this game is to come out it will be up to Nintendo to give Ubisoft a reason to release it. Be it additional money and developer support or going all out to make the Wii U as a piece of hardware sell. Since I don't see either of those realistically happening then I'm considering the Wii U version canceled until shown otherwise.

Donnie

Release the game late, sales bomb because nearly everyone already bought it on first release, blame Nintendo audience for poor sales, and repeat, been happening since the GameCube..

Gonna launch after MK8 and E3 pricedrop

Not sure why people keep saying this (MK8). No game needs a full month or more of space from another game.

Even if we were going by that argument, wouldn't going later be worse because people are busy playing a ton of MK8?

Unless it's your only console, chances are you won't wait for the eventual Wii U release. I won't. When it fails, Ubisoft will use it as an excuse to drop all support for the system.

Theoretically they could have used Assassin's Creed IV or Splinter Cell: Blacklist as an excuse to drop core support of the system...Ubisoft doesn't need any more indicators of how their hardcore, mature games fail on Wii U both absolutely and relative to marketshare.

Mlatador

Banned
This delay has no connection to Aliens Colonial Marines. ACM was almost a scam job, a game that even on their primary platforms was an unfinished, buggy mess of a videogame. A development hell par excellence.
The Wii U port got canceled because they probably just couldn't finish develping it.

This just confirms to me that they never even started development of the WiiU version.

At this point it's cancellation is all but certain, and thus Ubisofts stint on the WiiU is over.

Theoretically they could have used Assassin's Creed IV or Splinter Cell: Blacklist as an excuse to drop core support of the system...Ubisoft doesn't need any more indicators of how their hardcore, mature games fail on Wii U both absolutely and relative to marketshare.

How many copies did ACIV and Blacklist sell on WiiU, do you know ?.

Thanks.

Albo

Is it possible they're waiting to see if mario kart moves enough systems before they decide whether it's worth releasing or is that too late? By that point the game will probably be finished on wii u anyway.

Rather than blaming Nintendo's fans, it might be wiser to blame Nintendo for failing to give Wii U owners a reason to make the system their primary platform for core third-party software.

I'm not denying nintendo's responsibilities for the third party situation, but I'm also saying that the attitude of most hardcore nintendo fans is not helping. The whole "we don't need EA/Acti/Ubi games they are crap anyways" attitude is damaging the console as much as nintendo's mistakes. Right know the Wii U user base is as big as the ps4 or the xb1 ones. If software houses keep delaying or cancelling Wiiu games and not ps4/xb1 ones is because they know the biggest part of the Wii U user base won't buy their games anyway.

That's something that makes me really angry. Like those people who cry for quality games on Wii U and originality and then don't buy gems like TW 101, ZombiU or Rayman Legends. All they keep buying is Zelda, Mario and nothing else. Depressing

Breemin

I see how it would take additional resources to develop additional content to use with the GamePad, if that is indeed what they are doing. So this delay makes complete sense to me, without outright canceling the game...

Canceling the game would make much less sense, it will sell some.
The user base is indeed tiny compared to other platforms but there is a user base, and if Ubi already invested in development for Wii U, they will not swallow the loss. They will get out of it whatever they can.

I will laugh hard at the doubters if the Wii U version using the GamePad is awesome! I can see it happening.

"Part of the problem"? Jesus, what a passive aggressive post. Maybe most Wii U owners don't want what is often a poor performing and/or overpriced version of said game.

The game was always going to sell like shit on Wii U, but with this delay it will be an epic bomb. Ubi are pulling out, but they did give the system better support than most (Rayman debacle aside).

Pheew glad Watch Dogs itself isn't cancelled.

This just confirms to me that they never even started development of the WiiU version.

At this point it's cancellation is all but certain, and thus Ubisofts stint on the WiiU is over.

Ubisoft lost faith. I'm surprised it's coming out at all, they never showed that version off.

erawsd

I wonder what exactly is giving them so much trouble that they need so many people and so much time to finish the damn game.

Its probably one of the most ambitious games Ubisoft has done is recent memory and theyre trying to port it across 6 platforms... I can def see how they're having having issues.

jmizzal

Everybody dont buy games day 1 anyways, a lot of people were gonna wait to buy it anyway

AzaK

They must be waiting to see what Nintendo is going to do. No reason to release the game if the Wii U is still failing to sell.

If so, they should can it now because we all know Nintendo aren't doing anything for Wii U except leasing a game every few months.

Top Bottom