• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

slash3584

So,

People who insisted it was cancelled say it's cancelled even if Ubisoft says it's not.

And the people who defend the WiiU to death will buy the game even if it comes out in three years.

Seems legit.

liger05

Say what? You don't recall the two "mystery" games Namco was going to publish on DC after the amazing Soul Calibur? Everything from Tekken to Splatterhouse was thrown around as possible titles, and then we wound up with Mr Driller and Namco Museum.

Well, it was bad news to me : (

Lol your right. I do remember that Mr Driller announcement. Dagger to the heart.

This is the most likely scenario (if it's not cancelled outright).
Well if they're serious about that they'd better be adding some neat exclusive features and renaming it Watch_Dogs: Better Late Than Never Edition.

They really shouldn't bother though, the experiment for this type of stuff is over. All western publishers are developing nowadays is FPSs, 3rd person shooters, racing games and a combination of those two or three of those genres sometimes with stealth elements.

The user base for those types of games have been firmly established on the PS360 and now those users are migrating to the PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo needed to establish new kinds of games under new franchises when they launched the Wii U to appeal to new people and give 3rd parties an idea of what the console was about. No one wants an inferior port machine unfortunately, even one with cool off-screen play.

Earendil

It'll release 3 months later at $60, around the same time the other versions drop to $30 at retail.

Exactly. It has absolutely no chance at all of selling now. Not that it would have sold that much to begin with, but they have definitely sabotaged it.

It's amazing how poorly that game sold on Wii U when it seemed like a decent title that used the Gamepad in really cool ways and was a full on exclusive made specifically for the console.

It's an excellent game that deserves to get PC/PS4/Bone ports so at least some people can appreciate it. It won't be the same without the gamepad but it'll still be a good game regardless. The Wii U doesn't deserve ZombiU :(

I don't blame them after those ZombiU (lack of) sales. Game is brilliant and most of the fanbase just ignored it in favor of Nintendo rehashes.

They did far more for the Wii U launch than they did for PS4 or Xbone and got shat on by Nintendo fans.

Zombi U should have sold a lot more and it's a shame it didn't sell a ton. Game is great, despite a few flaws. Definitely a game that will be remembered highly when we look back at the Wii U, IMO.

This is the most likely scenario (if it's not cancelled outright).

Agreed, which is why I mentioned it's a poor business decision not to just cancel it if that's not already the plan.

This is never good is it? Releasing it after the other versions is pointless. I'm losing confidence that they're putting forth any effort into the Wii U version. The chances it uses the gamepad in a unique way are getting slim.

Put me in the "just cancel it" club.

And yet when it bombs they'll point to it as evidence to not port other games to Wii U. They have day-and-date Wii U ports with poor sales I'm sure, but this game has a chance to be a really cool version of the game if they use the gamepad well.

So,

People who insisted it was cancelled say it's cancelled even if Ubisoft says it's not.

And the people who defend the WiiU to death will buy the game even if it comes out in three years.

Seems legit.

I want to get it on the Wii U because my currently library lacks diversity. I currently own 4 games for the Wii U and all of them are first party Nintendo titles and this one would help balance it out a bit. Now I'm getting concerned because there aren't any other 3rd party titles in the pipeline that interest me and who knows how much longer the Wii U has left in its life.

Effect

I do blame Ubisoft for ZombiU though. How they handled that, as a launch game was bad. Coupled with them not making it clear to reviewers what the game actually was and them in turn rating the game low because it wasn't a shooter they thought it would be or wanted it to be didn't help. That game should have been named in the initial Wii U reveal as well and they shouldn't have let Nintendo position it the way they did in that cringe worthy scene. Had they actually advertised the game at launch it could have done a lot better I feel.

KHlover

Banned
It's an excellent game that deserves to get PC/PS4/Bone ports so at least some people can appreciate it. It won't be the same without the gamepad but it'll still be a good game regardless. The Wii U doesn't deserve ZombiU :(
It'll be like a bad version of RE4. The gamepad is THE outstanding feature of the game. Take that away and all that stays is a cricket bat simulator with an innovative respawn system.

Conan-san

Ubisoft has been Nintendo's biggest 3rd party supporter. If they punished them, Nintendo would likely never have a chance of getting significant 3rd party support for any future console.

If that's their biggest 3rd party supporter, someone with chronic backstabber's disease, then why are they even bothering?

It'll be like a bad version of RE4. The gamepad is THE outstanding feature of the game. Take that away and all that stays is a cricket bat simulator with an innovative respawn system.

Yea... no. I don't think you even played the game if that's what you think. I'm sure they could find an inventory solution and the game would be fine. PS4 version with Vita compatibility would be ace.

KHlover

Banned
Yea... no. I don't think you even played the game if that's what you think. I'm sure they could find an inventory solution and the game would be fine. PS4 version with Vita compatibility would be ace.
My NNID is on my profile here and I already posted screenshots of ZombiU in the Next-Gen Console Screenshot thread. Play detective if you wish.

Imo ZombiU is a very mediocre game with an awesome controller. Take that away and a mediocre game stays. Sold about as good as it deserves.

Amir0x

Banned
I do blame Ubisoft for ZombiU though. How they handled that, as a launch game was bad. Coupled with them not making it clear to reviewers what the game actually was and them in turn rating the game low because it wasn't a shooter they thought it would be or wanted it to be didn't help. That game should have been named in the initial Wii U reveal as well and they shouldn't have let Nintendo position it the way they did in that cringe worthy scene. Had they actually advertised the game at launch it could have done a lot better I feel.

if you need to hand guide a reviewer into having the right perspective on your game so they don't review it poorly, either the game is horrendous or the person shouldn't be reviewing games. I find that specifically to be a ludicrous excuse for the game's performance, frankly.

I mean in the end we can say your final point "if they advertised the game at launch it could have done better" has a probability of being right, but the truth is Wii U games don't do well. Wii U is simply a disaster platform. I highly doubt ZombiU advertised or not would have either changed its fate or anything else. Might have just made the losses even worse, considering they would have invested advertising dollars into a guaranteed flop

It's either cancelled or sent to die; one's as bad as the other.

I dont think its offically cancelled as much as "we stopped development and moved that team onto the versions that will sell more then 500 copies. Maybe after they finish the game we will move back to the Wii U version but who knows. Also Hey Nintendo this hat I am wearing appears to be made of cloth and not Money. Fix that"

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's as good as dead, but I'll still buy it as long as it isn't a completely terrible port. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version sells less than ZombiU or AC IV.

Daingurse

Until I see Watch_Dogs officially up for sale on the Wii-U, I think the future of the game is still quite nebulous. Feels like another Aliens Colonial Marines in the making. Hell, even if the game does release, coming out months after the other versions pretty much kills it sales-wise. A game that was already going to sell terribly, relative to other platforms anyway.

Oppo

wiiupic_121613.jpg

Nintendo just can't catch a break.

oh I think we're past this point

Vitet

Wii U version to launch after other platforms but is still in development, Ubisoft confirms.

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com following the announcement, a Ubisoft spokesperson said:

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watch_dogs/news/watch_dogs_delayed_on_wii_u.html

Good... news?
iAcNQTRDQ81zH.gif

If that's their biggest 3rd party supporter, someone with chronic backstabber's disease, then why are they even bothering?

That happens with every console - it's usually fixed by having lots of other 3rd parties developing for you. Which, unfortunately, isn't the case for Nintendo.

I don't get why Ubisoft wants to sabotage a version it's still working on
It could just be as simple as the Wii U version is behind schedule and not worth delaying all the other versions to complete. I doubt that there's a huge team working on it in the first place.

At least there's a slim chance that the game could end up better for the delay like NFSMWU but it'll likely sell even worse due to being full priced and late.

tuffy

Whether or not it does eventually arrive, releasing the Wii U version of a multiplatform title significantly later than the other versions is not a recipe for success.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not that I was too interested in Watch Dogs anyways (I'm liking AC4: Black Flag on Wii U though), but this will likely lead to the title either being cancelled or bombing even more (unless DKC & Mario Kart make Wii U sales pick up a lot)....

Patryn

Because the result of not playing ball with 3rd parties is the Wii U.

You can play hardball when you have leverage, as Nintendo did back during the SNES and NES days. But the result of all that hardball was 3rd parties flocking to Sony when they came with more welcoming arms. Now Nintendo has no leverage, and the worst part is that 3rd parties know it. The Wii U is showing that 3rd parties can live without Nintendo, but Nintendo can't survive in the console business long term without 3rd parties.

Unless they moneyhat some token exclusives from 3rd parties, this was basically it for 3rd party publisher support for the WiiU. At least Indie support is strong.

I can't help but think that 3rd parties, up until close to release really were led to believe the WiiU to be much more powerful and capable of running games without much problems.

Developers knew exactly how powerful it was from fairly early on. Did you read the Eurogamer article with the third party dev interview about WiiU development ?.

Don't know if any of you remember Ideaman from here but he was right from the very beginning. WiiU is an Xbox 360+ with a tablet controller.

Oswen

Great, so if they even bother to release it, it'll probably be out when the other versions are half price. Will totally sell gangbusters!

Pretty much this, it never had much hope in the first place but come on.
Maybe they wanted a stronger excuse to drop WiiU support, something like what EA keeps saying with their fullpriced ME3 while every other platform had the (cheaper) Trilogy at the same time .

If they are gonna delay it for a significant amount of time then it would probably be more sensible to just outright cancel the thing.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Unless this version features extra material or whatever in comparison, we can file this under "sent to die". Which is a shame.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

Yep. It's cancelled.

kek_lel

Oh man
Im really relieved that I sold my Wii U and got myself a ps4
No more dealing with all that nintendo/3rd party BS

Top Bottom