• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch who you follow on Twitter Devs...

Might be one of the best pieces of advice you can give these days. Certain folks on a certain website are current trying to, it seems to be, stoke the flames of another witch hunt or as we might say in the modern age, cancellation. It seems over the past few years a lot of developers or people within the industry have lost their jobs and had their careers ruined, not because of what they've said and done... but simply by who they followed online? Or a post they liked with good intentions but that person who made the post said something that be constructed as offensive ten years ago? Honestly, I studied game design at university and I never managed to get into the industry but the idea that developers can't even have an opinion or be friends with people is mental. Social media is making gaming a ... ugh I hate this word... toxic community. And it's really sad. I certainly don't do hours of research and go through hundreds of posts before liking or responding to something online, but imagine spending years getting your qualification, working into a senior role and you like a post on a website or service and boom. Public outrage, accusations made and without so much as any fact finding or consideration to the wider picture and hooo boy. Pulled into HR and they'd politely explain its for the best that you go. It's limited run games again. It's what has happened time and time again. What do you think about this shit GAF? Really pisses me off. Certainly when innocent folk lose their jobs and get hurt. Remember the bloke who made all the claims against Naughty Dog? Dave Ballard? Went quiet when the evidence went to show he had quite a history of hypocrisy and bullshit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Certain folks on a certain website
giphy.gif

The people that can post opinions online are those who work for themselves Or have already made their fortune.
Everyone else must conform to the owners.

But don't worry, this has all now been debunked by experts who have assured us it's misinformation and conspiracy theory. Everything is okay, and there's no need for any more thinking or asking questions.

Simpsons Lisa GIF by FOX International Channels

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It shouldn't be legal to lose your job over your personal opinion or political belief.

*As long as you don't advocate for violence against a person or group of people.
Isn't it actually illegal? Actually it's illegal in my origin country to discriminate by gender, race, political beliefs, religion, etc. I assume that's the north everywhere else.

Didn't Elon musk say they were covering legal actions against a company that fires you because of something on the platform?

Power Pro

Isn't it actually illegal? Actually it's illegal in my origin country to discriminate by gender, race, political beliefs, religion, etc. I assume that's the north everywhere else.

Didn't Elon musk say they were covering legal actions against a company that fires you because of something on the platform?
He claimed he wanted to speak to the woman who got fired from LRG for being excited about Hogwarts Legacy. Be nice if it's true, but if he tackled every case like that, it'd be never ending.

But don't worry, this has all now been debunked by experts who have assured us it's misinformation and conspiracy theory. Everything is okay, and there's no need for any more thinking or asking questions.

Simpsons Lisa GIF by FOX International Channels

George Carlin was so awesome, I am grateful I got to see him do stand up before he passed away. This segment is supposed to be comedy, but all I see is him spewing facts.

Jinzo Prime

Political beliefs are not protected by US Federal law, and the First Amendment only protects you from the government.
Source. Source 2.

It seems like we are once again behind the curve compared to some democracies.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It shouldn't be legal to lose your job over your personal opinion or political belief.

*As long as you don't advocate for violence against a person or group of people.
Makes sense, but companies can fire someone any time. it's just that they got to pay a penalty if it's unjustly done.

I also believe sports teams or companies shouldnt fire people who are arrested, but havent been convicted guilty yet. But all the time if someone does something stupid, they get cut even though they might be innocent after all. All depends how stupid the incident is, but guilty conviction has nothing to do with it. A player getting arrested and guilty with a big speeding ticket is ok. But someone accused of sexual abuse is probably cut or put on waivers right away regardless of innocence. Has any team who banished a player ending up being innocent ever get rehired by the team years later?

Last edited:

GrayChild

Reee tried to paint a big person at PlayStation as a secret right winger because they followed ONE account on Twitter which was posting videos with a slight right wing lean, despite the same person following loads of left leaning people too.
RetardEra were also trying to cancel Jim Ryan over his neutral stance on abortion. That didn't happen.

I still think their attacks work only for smaller companies or lower-profile devs. Over the past few years, these idiots tried to cancel Dan Vavra and silence any discussion over Kingdom Come: Deliverance, then Cyberpunk 2077 and finally Hogwarts Legacy. None of them were successful.

But yeah, I can't think of a single community that's more harmful to the game industry.

freefornow

Gold Member
Reee tried to paint a big person at PlayStation as a secret right winger because they followed ONE account on Twitter which was posting videos with a slight right wing lean, despite the same person following loads of left leaning people too.
The only good thing about that thread is it introduced me to this:
52ce0a3625dc63f1559b1dc74d127d48.jpg

Horizontally, her political views can be put to one side while i support Dutch farmers by ensuring that is one field that gets ploughed.

Ozzie666

I look forward to all the people who lose their jobs and get cancelled in the future, because of some ancient twitter mistake. Youtube is as far as I go, no interest in twitter, execept when some qoutes something funny. Social media was a mistake.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Political beliefs are not protected by US Federal law, and the First Amendment only protects you from the government.
Source. Source 2.

It seems like we are once again behind the curve compared to some democracies.
I'm taking about Venezuela, you definitely are not behind in anything lol, but maybe I'm just misinterpreting the thing

KungFucius

King Snowflake
First post hits the nail on the head and I completely agree. Shame that's the opposite of things at the moment. I mean you can have an opinion but it has to be the "right" opinion.
It doesn't though. When people post stuff that is unpopular and have their company's name attached to their profile, either on purpose or because someone connects the dots, then they can bring unwanted attention to the company. I am not a fan of people getting fired for trivial crap, but when they make a scene online and a company sees that as damaging to their image, why shouldn't they be allowed to distance themselves from that person and the attention they are bringing to the company? Obviously companies should not be firing people over small things, or things from the past, but if it ends up leading to negative publicity, they should most certainly be allowed to take action.

If you are in a position that ties to a well known, public facing company, make an anonymous profile and don't attract attention. If there are less targets, the behavior of trying to cancel people will become rarer.

Makes sense, but companies can fire someone any time. it's just that they got to pay a penalty if it's unjustly done.

I also believe sports teams or companies shouldnt fire people who are arrested, but havent been convicted guilty yet. But all the time if someone does something stupid, they get cut even though they might be innocent after all. All depends how stupid the incident is, but guilty conviction has nothing to do with it. A player getting arrested and guilty with a big speeding ticket is ok. But someone accused of sexual abuse is probably cut or put on waivers right away regardless of innocence. Has any team who banished a player ending up being innocent ever get rehired by the team years later?
Yet this can hurt a company big time financially if proven. There was a lady here near Philly who kicked out some dude who was loitering in her starbucks she managed after he was there for hours without buying anything. He made a scene and called it racist. The cops came and everything. This was in the heart of blm madness. She got fired, then filed a lawsuit. She is now a multi-millionaire. 25.6 mil to be in precise. They closed down multiple locations and did "anti-bias training" when she was doing her job correctly. They were under pressure from lunatics. She made out in the long run, mostly due to it being put on a national spotlight and got lawyers jumping to aid, but the problem is most people in a situation of wrongful termination don't have the cash for a lawyer as if you are out of work, you are broke.

I honestly don't know what the answer to this, is. Nuke Twitter, social media, doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe protections for political speech, that includes speech you don't like. As long as you aren't doing anything violent. A bill would need to be written up with specific wording to avoid over-reach. We see this all over with people being accused and convicted by the court of public opinion rather than the law. Where accusations and assumptions are enough to ruin someone. It just happened to Russell Brand, and many prominent games devs and writers. Chris Avellone comes to mind. Dude got canned and his writting scrapped because of accusations that later turned out to be a big lie as the person admitted to it. Yet they pounced on him like a bunch of vultures. Shit this stuff can even effect jury's and judges, its insane.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Might be one of the best pieces of advice you can give these days. Certain folks on a certain website are current trying to, it seems to be, stoke the flames of another witch hunt or as we might say in the modern age, cancellation. It seems over the past few years a lot of developers or people within the industry have lost their jobs and had their careers ruined, not because of what they've said and done... but simply by who they followed online? Or a post they liked with good intentions but that person who made the post said something that be constructed as offensive ten years ago? Honestly, I studied game design at university and I never managed to get into the industry but the idea that developers can't even have an opinion or be friends with people is mental. Social media is making gaming a ... ugh I hate this word... toxic community. And it's really sad. I certainly don't do hours of research and go through hundreds of posts before liking or responding to something online, but imagine spending years getting your qualification, working into a senior role and you like a post on a website or service and boom. Public outrage, accusations made and without so much as any fact finding or consideration to the wider picture and hooo boy. Pulled into HR and they'd politely explain its for the best that you go. It's limited run games again. It's what has happened time and time again. What do you think about this shit GAF? Really pisses me off. Certainly when innocent folk lose their jobs and get hurt. Remember the bloke who made all the claims against Naughty Dog? Dave Ballard? Went quiet when the evidence went to show he had quite a history of hypocrisy and bullshit.

As soon as i saw that topic on that site i literally facepalmed IRL. They need to get some help, seriously. Wish i had free time to stalk devs on twitter

Be normal, have a real account that also has your job title/company and have a fake account for all that other shit.
Seriously, this. I never post anything I don't want the public to know under my real name. Why do that and risk everything when you can always use an anonymous alias. Of course the people doing the "cancelling" are trying to stop anonymous accounts and would love people to have to have everything tied to their name. Even that isn't enough protection for people with a lot to loose. They can, if they want to , get internet sleuths to find out what your accounts are if you are targeted, but it does give leeway for normal folks.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Seriously, this. I never post anything I don't want the public to know under my real name. Why do that and risk everything when you can always use an anonymous alias. Of course the people doing the "cancelling" are trying to stop anonymous accounts and would love people to have to have everything tied to their name. Even that isn't enough protection for people with a lot to loose. They can, if they want to , get internet sleuths to find out what your accounts are if you are targeted, but it does give leeway for normal folks.

You are in the tech industry.....if you cant hide your fake twitter account, you deserve to get nabbed.

Your fake account would have to have done some seriously shady shit for people to sleuth hard enough to find it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It is in the US? It definitely isn't in Sweden (or most of Europe I'd imagine).

Nubulax

Why am I not shocked... I dont go on there but ive seen on here stated it leans heavily xbox/ms If so these dudes are literally out for blood and take everything way too damn personal when it comes to consoles and gaming. Just look at twitter, these dudes are insane. Regardless this is so dumb and the reason I dont go to that place, imagine, getting fired because you have ONE Followed account to someone who has slightly different views than you, not even something you said, you just happened to have them on follow.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It’s funny because in real life most people have friends on both sides. You can disagree with people’s political takes without making them your sworn enemy who doesn’t deserve to be employed.

Chronically online people are embarrassing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It was over on the purple forum with a high profile PS exec, but the mods shut it down fast because it's dumb to draw conclusions from just one simple follow. 🙄

uBDM5Np.png
That's even worse. I thought they were going after some artist or level designer, but the head of Sony WWS? Holy shit they're dangerous.

Raonak

Banned
That's the game of russian roulette that you play when you have an public presence.

Regardless of the reason, you can never know what will ignite the online mob.

The people that can post opinions online are those who work for themselves Or have already made their fortune.
Everyone else must conform to the owners.

Nah it's the opposite. The more rich and famous you are the less freedom you have online because you have more to lose. Even powerful people have to conform to public opinion.

Any random dude can go on Twitter and shitpost racist shit and catch no consequence because he doesn't have a following.

Ain't no resetera cancel thread on the political opinion of paul the plumber

Last edited:
Top Bottom