• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Release Date and new Trailer coming today?

Gurrry

I was so hyped for this game so much so I got the app that you go around "capturing" points on a real map that I used to do while driving to work and almost got in about 50 car accidents lol I still capture some now and then because I can reach two from my bedroom. But I'm almost over this game even though I never played it...

lolwut?

what is this app?

lolwut?

what is this app?

n3sxg9.jpg

It's a ios (possibly android) app that as you can see in the picture it gives you a signal then you "hack" places around a real map and you get points and can win copies of the game and trips etc. Other people can also hack places you capture and make it their own. Don't so it while driving lol

I think mid-April would work well. Gives folks enough time to get wall-running and shooting Titans out of their systems, additional time before the next AC, and an element of surprise during the drought. Folks already know about the game and the basic mechanics - all they need in my opinion is to put out 2-3 sold gameplay videos and they can recapture (if the videos are good) attention.

[EDIT] also - what about Destiny BETA? If that comes during May or June, that could effect them as well if they wait to long.

Raven77

Well if they wait too long all of us PS4 guys will be double-dipping back into Los Santos.

100% correct. Ubisoft is smart enough to know that GTA V will likely release on PC / Next Gen sometime in the last half of this year. I, for one, would most definitely wait on Watch Dogs and pickup GTA again and I suspect many, many other games would as well.

Also, I don't really understand what Ubisoft is doing. They see that GTA V is incredible, etc. and they delay Watch Dogs to make it better? What could they possibly do? Redesign the entire city to make it bigger? Add new missions? Make you care about the character more?

All of those things seem like a bit much for a developer to properly achieve in just a few months of extra development. I don't think they've been improving it in any dramatic or big way, I think they just knew that GTA was still hot and decided to wait.

NHale

Unless something changed I'm keeping my guess as Fall 2014. But if the rumors were false, I'm sure Ubisoft will release it on a date that has already proven to be viable, so end of May to mid-June or end of August.

Considering Ubisoft sees Watch_Dogs as their Assassin's Creed for next-gen, it will require at least 3 months of heavy marketing and propaganda to create enough buzz to sell 8M+ copies.

Miles X

100% correct. Ubisoft is smart enough to know that GTA V will likely release on PC / Next Gen sometime in the last half of this year. I, for one, would most definitely wait on Watch Dogs and pickup GTA again and I suspect many, many other games would as well.

Also, I don't really understand what Ubisoft is doing. They see that GTA V is incredible, etc. and they delay Watch Dogs to make it better? What could they possibly do? Redesign the entire city to make it bigger? Add new missions? Make you care about the character more?

All of those things seem like a bit much for a developer to properly achieve in just a few months of extra development. I don't think they've been improving it in any dramatic or big way, I think they just knew that GTA was still hot and decided to wait.

An extra 5 - 8 months and more man power can do wonders tho.

My bet is on April 1st. (April 4th in EU/UK)

Then Ubisoft is going to do the most insane PR blast in a very long time.

Unless something changed I'm keeping my guess as Fall 2014. But if the rumors were false, I'm sure Ubisoft will release it on a date that has already proven to be viable, so end of May to mid-June or end of August.

Considering Ubisoft sees Watch_Dogs as their Assassin's Creed for next-gen, it will require at least 3 months of heavy marketing and propaganda to create enough buzz to sell 8M+ copies.

Ubisoft said, just weeks ago, at their investors call that Watch Dogs is shipping between April and June this year. Expect heavy PR blast from today going until release in the coming months.

SJRB

Gold Member

You can't completely rebuild a game in 4 months. The game lacked overall polish on many things. They used the delay not to add substantial content but more to brush up the game.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough if the delay has had its intended effect.

That's very disappointing.

It's also not true.

pelican

Going by the back cover splash of the current issue of EDGE the issue coming out in a couple of weeks will be WatchDogs.

Raven77

You can't completely rebuild a game in 4 months. The game lacked overall polish on many things. They used the delay not to add substantial content but more to brush up the game.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough if the delay has had its intended effect.

Exactly, 4-6 months and a large team is simply not enough time to fundamentally change a game. Redesigning the game world, trying to fit new missions into an already completed story, etc. is just too much.

I think what some people are forgetting is that the game was likely nearly complete and ready to ship when they saw how well GTA V was doing and got a glimpse of what it offered. The extra time is likely getting it to run super smooth, eliminating bugs, maybe adding more online elements.

It's incredibly difficult to make big changes to a nearly finished open world game.

glaurung

May the 9th sounds like a plan.

But I have no idea what Rockstar is doing with the eighth generation and how it factors into Ubi's planning.

Given that I'll be playing Second Son in late March and a ton of smaller titles in April, I know I won't pick this up until May at the earliest, and that's even if it reviews well. WD was a pre-ordered, PS4 launch day purchase for me like it was for many people but after having gone through all of AC4 and its DLC, I really have little interest in another Ubi open-world game if it is likely to stick to the same formula and mission structure; I'm sure most reviews will draw the comparisons to the AC series and if there's enough uniqueness there, then I'll grab it, but it's definitely not a day 1 purchase for me anymore.

I agree with most here that letting the Watch_Dogs out after E3 makes zero sense as it will be drowned in a sea of excitement for things not it.

The Last of Us was released during last E3, and it did not cause clusterfuck.

True but these games are light years apart in terms of what they were/are promising. Additionally the first reviews for TLoU came out a few days before E3-- a number of those scores being perfect-- which I think sustained and amped attention for the game despite the fact that E3 was the major showdown between the two new consoles. I can't see an Ubisoft open-world game get that kind of love from reviewers, and since that this year's E3 will be less about the new consoles and more about all the new stuff coming out for them, I think Ubi would do well to get out ahead of that.

NHale

Because Last of Us was an amazing game for the majority of those that reviewed it. Also Sony sent review code a lot earlier than release date to guarantee that it didn't cause a problem during E3 week. IRC even the embargo ended a 1 week early.

If a game is not amazing (like RF: Guerrila) it will be drowned on the "News of E3" stories and will be seen as an afterthought/disappointment.

Jhn

I'm very interested to see if the extra development time has taken the game out of the weird spiral of worsening mediocrity it put itself in since the initial reveal.

I want it to be as good as the first E3 presentation made it look.

Authority

Banned
Sleeping Dogs was one of my favorite games of last gen. It was a big surprise that came out of nowhere. The interesting setting and story plus the epic hand to hand... it just felt so good.

I hope Watch Dogs turns out good;however, i'm nowhere near as excited for it as i would be a next gen Sleeping Dogs sequel. It really just looks like another AC clone set in a near-future American city. "yawn"

For a 2011 (right?) game, its story was truly epic. From the beginning to the end its very engaging and its hard to lose interest with the plot. Combat was great but I am certain that if they made Sleeping Dogs II the combat would be phenomenal considering the feedback and what they have learned since then.

I don't know why some people call Watch Dogs AC Clone. I am not even sure why people still use the word clone. There are only 0.1% clones and Watch Dogs is not one of them.

Montresor

May sounds about right. Eight months is enough time to spend in Los Santos.

:lol!!!

Nice reference to that ad.

FYI,to those unaware, Ubisoft made a poster ad that said "2 months is enough time to visit Los Santos. On November 2013, come to Chicago [Watch Dogs's setting]"

My body is ready for some more Ubisoft goodness.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I would argue that it did cause a clusterfuck. People actually thought it was good for the rest of the year because the hype of E3 was mixed with a release and everyone was confused and gave it GOTY.

We need to avoid this brewery!

I hope they lied in their investor meeting and it releases in March, I really wish something good was released then.

I would argue that it did cause a clusterfuck. People actually thought it was good for the rest of the year because the hype of E3 was mixed with a release and everyone was confused and gave it GOTY.

I don't see the "/s" anywhere in your post.

I hope they lied in their investor meeting and it releases in March, I really wish something good was released then.

(Looks at release dates for Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, and inFamous: Second Son)

I still can't seem to find your /s.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't see the "/s" anywhere in your post.

(Looks at release dates for Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, and inFamous: Second Son)

I still can't seem to find your /s.

Sorry, since when do I have to sign everything I say with /serious? Believe me, I'm /serious.

Exactly, 4-6 months and a large team is simply not enough time to fundamentally change a game. Redesigning the game world, trying to fit new missions into an already completed story, etc. is just too much.

I think what some people are forgetting is that the game was likely nearly complete and ready to ship when they saw how well GTA V was doing and got a glimpse of what it offered. The extra time is likely getting it to run super smooth, eliminating bugs, maybe adding more online elements.

It's incredibly difficult to make big changes to a nearly finished open world game.

My hope is that they added some depth to the multiplayer part. If I remember correctly, the way it was was a simple game of hide and seek. I had suggested that it would be nice if they layered a type of battle of the hacks on top of it. Let defenders put decoy images in cameras or time loops to hide their movement. Let the attacker trace where the hacks are coming from. Both of those actions should have countermeasures to detect and neutralize them.

In general, I felt that for a game centered around hacking that the hacking part was too simplistic. I understand that they wanted to streamline the hacking so that it could be used as an action mechanic. Nobody wants to have to enter a minigame every time just to activate a car barricade while being chased. However, for major things like taking over a section of a city or interacting with other players, it makes sense to have a little more hacking in the hacking.

With the lack of games on both the PS4 and Xbox One I don't think they need too much PR as people will probably notice the presence of a new game on the shelves/online either way.

I doubt Watch Dogs will be too much of a hard sell either.

OneUh8

With the lack of games on both the PS4 and Xbox One I don't think they need too much PR as people will probably notice the presence of a new game on the shelves/online either way.

I doubt Watch Dogs will be too much of a hard sell either.

Yeah I think this game is going to sell very well imo. I for one am getting it day 1.

April or May would be nice. Playing through Assassin's Creed 4 right now. Should finish around the time my Infamous pre-order from Amazon arrives. Then hopefully when I'm finished with that, Watch Dogs will be released. Year of the sandbox.

I don't think they delayed it in response to GTA. ESPECIALLY considering GTA isn't on the next gen systems. I think the game just wasn't coming together the way they needed it to fast enough to hit the original date. This being the first in what they want to be a big new franchise, they have to come out of the gate strong. 5-6 months could conceivably give you enough time to polish it to that point. Especially if it was shippable as it was.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My love for this game has gone. I hope the delay will introduce new and improved features that will want me to get it again but I doubt it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Chicago, with guns and the ability to have fun hacking shit..........totally cannot wait.

I really do hope its sooner than later, April for me would be awesome........But like I said earlier still including May because its just a dead month atm....(even though the Show is going to be amazing.)

Maybe that's why AC games to me have grown stale, the whole constantly traversing the rooftops pointlessly with no modern day gadgetry has been kind of off putting since we have done it now 6 times.

I am still hyped for Watch Dogs full force.

Sorry, since when do I have to sign everything I say with /serious? Believe me, I'm /serious.

It's your /seriousness that baffles me.

I don't think they delayed it in response to GTA. ESPECIALLY considering GTA isn't on the next gen systems. I think the game just wasn't coming together the way they needed it to fast enough to hit the original date. This being the first in what they want to be a big new franchise, they have to come out of the gate strong. 5-6 months could conceivably give you enough time to polish it to that point. Especially if it was shippable as it was.

And now because they missed having a potentially insanely high attach rate due to being a console launch title, they have to now come out of the gate even stronger. It's true that if they are looking at an April or May release that there isn't currently a large lineup of high profile AAA games slated for those months, but the lack of any kind of screens or media is concerning. GIven how pretty AC4 is on my PS4, I'm not so concerned about fidelity even if the new trailer they show is from the PC version. I'm just very curious how much of AC's DNA made it into WD's final build.

Top Bottom