• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Murtrod

So... what if that day one patch fixes the AI?

Beaten like a troublemaker

This is why broken embargos should be taken with a grain of salt. Patched or unpatched? Don't get me wrong, day one patches are really unprofessional and all, but hey, if it's fixed, it's fixed. And if this reviewed copy is unpatched, well...

It has a "lackluster scenario," but is still a must-have? I dunno about that...
I'm reading that entire list of cons and I'm wondering how on earth this got a 4/5 and a "must have" label. I don't normally question a review's score and/or reasoning because a lot of it is the opinion of the writer, but this one just seems inconsistent. Either that or the reviewer just didn't fully explain why this game is still a must own despite those flaws.

Eusis

Meh, I'm still not fully convinced. Launch day embargoes should set off red flags to anyone.

No they shouldn't. Not at all.
Seriously, most games are release date embargo'd for reviews, even smaller ones like South Park or Transistor have those. What you really should be worried about is when they don't send advance copies.
What benefit does a launch day embargo have?
Probably the safest date to pick to ensure everyone has a fair amount of time to play, especially when review copies are sent on short notice (Watch_Dogs didn't have review copies sent out when that beta review hit, implying they probably only had a week to play the game ANYWAY) and paranoid publishers may not be worried about poor reviews so much as SOMETHING in those reviews setting people off and not want to get the game period.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
If you count Jeux's score from last week (19/20), it's actually higher. And as someone else pointed out, the day one patch addresses enemy AI. To what extent? Who knows. I wonder if reviewers had access to the patch.

I had access to the patch and played it since Friday. Enemy AI is still pretty dumb :eek:

ShutterMunster

I think the game is going to review quite well. It's fun to play and the hacking really separates it from other open world titles. The downgrade stuff really only pertains to it's graphics, so I guess if that was all you were ever interested in the game will be a disappointment.

To those who were genuinely intrigued by the gameplay hooks, which I reckon is MOST people, they'll be satisfied. They've got some great characters in here too. The story might be run of the mil, but the characters are all very unique. Jordi and Clara specifically, I'm really enjoying.

bombshell

If you count Jeux's score from last week (19/20), it's actually higher. And as someone else pointed out, the day one patch addresses enemy AI. To what extent? Who knows. I wonder if reviewers had access to the patch.

Oh yeah, forgot about that magazine's review.

BigDug13

So... what if that day one patch fixes the AI?

Edit: Beaten like a troublemaker

Even a day 1 embargo would mean a review is already completed and ready to publish prior to any day 1 patch. So...what if that day one patch fixes the AI? Well maybe the game should have been more complete on disc.

Otherwise, might as well make the embargoes for 3-4 days post release if they're only going to fix the game once it's online.

Or release your day 1 patch to reviewers prior to day 1. Why does the patch have to only be released on day 1 and not day -3? You want reviewers to play the complete game, right? Better get that fucking patch out there faster than day 1 then.

Tamanon

Banned
Seems they care more about the gamer than appeasing the industry.

What benefit does a launch day embargo have?

It doesn't reward quicker reviews. Allows all sites to take their time playing the game instead of rushing through.

There is no negative to it, especially in an age where you don't have to preorder to get a game.

It has a "lackluster scenario," but is still a must-have? I dunno about that...

I'm not sure what they mean by this. The narrative isn't a fate of the world hangs in the balance sort of thing, just relatively grounded like the rest of the game. I'm not sure why the tone of stark realism they adopted somehow means "lackluster".

Gaz_RB

To be fair, I imagine the body of the review that none of us can read may discuss the degree of the positives and negatives and justifies the score accordingly. But carry on canceling your preorders.

It doesn't reward quicker reviews. Allows all sites to take their time playing the game instead of rushing through.

There is no negative to it, especially in an age where you don't have to preorder to get a game.

But why not have an embargo a day or two before release, instead of the day of?

Even a day 1 embargo would mean a review is already completed and ready to publish prior to any day 1 patch. So...what if that day one patch fixes the AI? Well maybe the game should have been more complete on disc.

Otherwise, might as well make the embargoes for 3-4 days post release if they're only going to fix the game once it's online.

Or release your day 1 patch to reviewers prior to day 1. Why does the patch have to only be released on day 1 and not day -3? You want reviewers to play the complete game, right? Better get that fucking patch out there faster than day 1 then.

I see what you're sayin. I agree with ya there.

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't understand the score at all.

"...but not deep enough
Lackluster scenario
Underdeveloped enemy AI
Aiden and his lack of charisma"

How is this a must have if I am falling asleep?

"Music and sounds are somewhat generic"

Sometime music can save a series...but eh, they don't even have the "awesome" music going for them?

Seriously, most games are release date embargo'd for reviews, even smaller ones like South Park or Transistor have those. What you really should be worried about is when they don't send advance copies.

Probably the safest date to pick to ensure everyone has a fair amount of time to play, especially when review copies are sent on short notice (Watch_Dogs didn't have review copies sent out when that beta review hit, implying they probably only had a week to play the game ANYWAY) and paranoid publishers may not be worried about poor reviews so much as SOMETHING in those reviews setting people off and not want to get the game period.

People have the Internet now. Things are gonna leak. Ubisoft should be aware of that all the more since they've made a game about hacking

NateDrake

Can't speak for European outlets, but I believe Ubisoft held a review event in the US for some outlets. Review copies were sent out last week for most.

Eusis

But why not have an embargo a day or two before release, instead of the day of?
Yeah, I won't deny that I'd prefer that. I just think a distinction needs to be made between WANTING reviews ahead of an embargo date and whether a release date embargo is something to be concerned about. Nevermind people being worried about embargos period, that's just being overly idealistic in my eyes.
Can't speak for European outlets, but I believe Ubisoft held a review event in the US for some outlets. Review copies were sent out last week for most.
For a game like this it was probably the same for Europe too, or similar enough. Yeah, kinda thought they'd only have a week, and thus a release day embargo is most pragmatic, or at least the day before release... though time may be tight enough that release date is still more comfortable.

I'm reading that entire list of cons and I'm wondering how on earth this got a 4/5 and a "must have" label. I don't normally question a review's score and/or reasoning because a lot of it is the opinion of the writer, but this one just seems inconsistent. Either that or the reviewer just didn't fully explain why this game is still a must own despite those flaws.

I would translate the entire review but it's too long, sorry :/

Felensis

Banned
If this kind of opinion/verdict from media continues then it's absolutely what i was expecting from WD after all this months/years of following the coverage. Already felt my decision for May's game for me and it's Wolfenstein TNO. Next month I'll have a look on Murdered Soul Suspect (even though predictions are not so well it has my interest for the uncommon scenario and it's stories/characters). I think I'll give WD a try as soon as it got cheaper. Not sure because I feel saturated from ACIV and it's shitload of openworld stuff/collectibles etc. -.-

BenouKat

Banned
Who is gameblog?

Gameblog is the most shitty french video game website (i'm french). This is the master 'not-assumed' dorito of french press (cause others like jeuxvideo.com doesn't hide they dorito as fuck), and they want to be the first on Watch Dogs review 'cause Gamekult, another french website, publish the GTA V review before embargo. The main redactor of Gameblog was upset as fuck (drama on twitter etc etc) so its kind of a stupid revenge.

Never read or link something from gameblog, trust me :)

I'm not sure what they mean by this. The narrative isn't a fate of the world hangs in the balance sort of thing, just relatively grounded like the rest of the game. I'm not sure why the tone of stark realism they adopted somehow means "lackluster".

Perhaps they're comparing it to GTA V or GTA San Andreas, which were praised for their impeccable writing...? It's hard to compete with Rockstar when you're making an open-world game.

Kelsey

Banned
Gameblog is the most shitty french video game website (i'm french). This is the master 'not-assumed' dorito of french press (cause others like jeuxvideo.com doesn't hide they dorito as fuck), and they want to be the first on Watch Dogs review 'cause Gamekult, another french website, publish the GTA V review before embargo. The main redactor of Gameblog was upset as fuck (drama on twitter etc etc) so its kind of a stupid revenge.

Never read or link something from gameblog, trust me :)

What is Jeux's reputation like in France?

Putty

I'm predicting a 6 from Edge, 7 from Eurogamer, 7 from Polygon, 8.0 from IGN and 8's from official XB and PS outlets.

For me personally, I just can't get excited for it, at all. I was the same with Wolfenstein, but I'm hearing great things from friends who have it...

Gray Matter

Gotta get dem hits. If they published their review when all the major sites released theirs, nobody would read the review from the no name website

True, but then they jeopardized getting review copies of ubisoft games, and possibly other publishers.

but totally agree tho, gotta go before the big boys do.

Jeremy

Yep. What should set red flags off is sites grandstanding about not signing embargoes like it's a noble act or something.

Well, I think it can be when it's justified. Breaking the embargo, basically writing off the game followed by giving it a 4/5 and deeming it a must have has no nobility in it at all. They obviously broke embargo for traffic and attention, not for gamers.

Eusis

Are these also places that don't bother with signing embargos and the like? It'll be interesting to see the contrast post-embargo, if they're dependent on copes they only had something like a day to play they may be highlighting exactly why embargos are for the greater good, so we don't get rushed reviews that either go for wild praise or completely trashing a game without giving enough time to really let things sink in and get a good opinion formed.

EDIT: Actually, that first Pro indicates that may be the case. Yeah, if the later reviews tell a different story I'm bookmarking this as a case example next time someone questions why we need embargos at all.

fedexpeon

Banned

LOL which review can we "trust"?

PROS
Characters seem to have unique personalities
Variety of dialogues that don't get old
Deep narrative

CONS
...but not deep enough
Lackluster scenario
Music and sounds are somewhat generic
Aiden and his lack of charisma

They are conflicting with each other.

sjay1994

I don't understand the score at all.

"...but not deep enough
Lackluster scenario
Underdeveloped enemy AI
Aiden and his lack of charisma"

How is this a must have if I am falling asleep?

"Music and sounds are somewhat generic"

Sometime music can save a series...but eh, they don't even have the "awesome" music going for them?

So.... did you read the full review or are you just going by pros and cons?

What is the lackluster scenario? What are the examples of sound? Also the ...not deep enough is probably about multiplayer.

Judging a game from bullet points and number over the actual content of the review isn't going to answer anything for you.

Top Bottom