• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Squire

Banned
Major outlets like IGN, Polygon, etc will not be giving this game 9.5s/10s. You're kidding yourself if you think these no-name sites are any indication of the future.

I can't get interested in this! Can't sit for more than 2mins through a trailer but since this might replace AssCreed I make myself consider it...

Lingitiz

Meh, I'm still not fully convinced. Launch day embargoes should set off red flags to anyone.

Launch day embargos aren't a marker for quality anymore. Besides, I assume publishers have found it more effective to have reviews hit when the product is available. It's probably a better tactic than releasing reviews too early (i.e. Mario Kart 8) and then people forgetting the game is even coming out.

Meh, I'm still not fully convinced. Launch day embargoes should set off red flags to anyone.

In an industry where there is a race to break news/reviews first, having a launch day embargo makes sense and stops people rushing through open world games and missing a lot of the content.

Can you imagine someone racing through a copy of GTA5 just to be first to review it?

Shaanyboi

Banned
The negative seem to outweigh the positives.

Same. I agree. Maybe 'damning' is too strong a word but these negatives certainly don't make it sound like anything special. Or atleast keep it from receiving such high scores.

edit: I will wait for more reviews.

Eusis

In an industry where there is a race to break news/reviews first having a launch day embargo stops people rushing through open world games and missing a lot of the content makes sense.

Can you imagine someone racing through a copy of GTA5 just to be first to review it?
Nevermind many RPGs. They may just play about 10-20 hours, go "welp that's enough" and review. That's barely scratching the surface of something like Dragon Quest VII or VIII unless you're some sort of master at ripping through a game.

Did you watch every part of the story, or just the ending? Out of curiosity. Since story has been my biggest concern about this game.

I watched like half of the story and its just shit. GTA5 is better in every way when it comes down to story.

Don't want to watch, but is it a no resolution cliffhanger? That would be so Ubisoft.

That Video isnt the ending. Its just a reaction video.

M.W.

If you make purchases based on someone else's opinions, and not your own experiences - than really there isn't much hope for you.

Sadly, many do. For me, last gen, I had more fun with games that scored in the 7's and low 8's than I had with the AAA 9.5 Meta games.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Gameblog is the most shitty french video game website (i'm french). This is the master 'not-assumed' dorito of french press (cause others like jeuxvideo.com doesn't hide they dorito as fuck)...
"Dorito as fuck" NEEDS to be a tagline to something, from now on!

BigDug13

In an industry where there is a race to break news/reviews first having a launch day embargo stops people rushing through open world games and missing a lot of the content makes sense.

It still causes reviewers to miss the "finished product" if the console makers and the publishers don't release their "day 1 patch" WAY earlier than day 1. It needs to be available to download for reviewers about a week prior to the embargo date so that they have a chance to play through the game with positive changes at the ready.

As it stands now, reviewers are forced to review an incomplete game if the "day 1 patch" isn't ready for them. And a day 1 embargo doesn't fix that at all because the reviewer has already completed his playthrough prior to that day 1. A day 1 embargo with a "day 1 patch available 6 days prior to release" would be perfect.

sjay1994

I watched like half of the story and its just shit. GTA5 is better in every way when it comes down to story.

No.... don't tell me that.

GTA V was probably the worst story I have ever seen in a video game. The most idiotic plot, insufferable characters who are either assholes or idiots. The only good thing out of the clusterfuck that was GTA V's plot was Lamar.

Squire

Banned
You must know something we don't.

I don't know about that. Gauging the hype for this in the press (following people on Twitter, listening to podcasts, reading previews, etc) it's nothing like, say, TitanFall, if there's even hype at all. I see nothing suggesting Watch_Dogs is gonna be pushing a 95 on Metacritic when all is said and done. I'm not even saying it won't get a 9 here and there. The game reviewing that well across the board seems highly unlikely. Because usually when that happens, you can gauge the temperature a week beforehand and the writing will be on the wall.

Polygon will change their score, like always.

Will they? For this? The DLC must be life-changing or something.

Eusis

If you make purchases based on someone else's opinions, and not your own experiences - than really there isn't much hope for you.
. . . How are you supposed to experience a game without buying it?

Granted there ARE answers to that: rentals (though these aren't the Blockbuster days anymore), trying at a friend's, etc. But if you have no other means to try something you are going to base your purchases off someone's opinions if you want to make a smart purchase and even rentals you may want to read up on what people think. You're completely daft if you think people are idiots for checking the opinions of others to make an educated purchase.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Has anyone heard of these sites before today?

And what's with that list of negatives for a game to end up with a score that's 8.5-9?

Piggus

I see it didn't take long for people to make their last attempts at shitting on the game before they play it. Shocking!

sjay1994

I don't know about that. Gauging the hype for this in the press (following people on Twitter, listening to podcasts, reading previews, etc) it's nothing like, say, TitanFall, if there's even hype at all. I see nothing suggesting Watch_Dogs is gonna be pushing a 95 on Metacritic when all is said and done. I'm not even saying it won't get a 9 here and there. The game reviewing that well across the board seems highly unlikely. Because usually when that happens, you can gauge the temperature a week beforehand and the writing will be on the wall.

Will they? For this? The DLC must be life-changing or something.

Titanfall was hyped the fuck up, and it only has an 86 average.

Weeks before review are typically quiet. The week before last of us was pretty silent.

Basketball

Gotta get dem hits. If they published their review when all the major sites released theirs, nobody would read the review from the no name website

"Consider this game GTAV on steroids"
Wonder how much Ubi paid for that headline

bullshit.gif

No.... don't tell me that.

GTA V was probably the worst story I have ever seen in a video game. The most idiotic plot, insufferable characters who are either assholes or idiots. The only good thing out of the clusterfuck that was GTA V's plot was Lamar.

Dont tell me that a good story just has good characters. GTA5 had the best GTA protagonist since ever (Trevor). Because he fit right into the GTA theme with killing everybody and going on a rampage. Even if it has assholes as characters who cares? You think driving over civilians in GTA isnt a asshole move? Do you play GTA like a Truck Simulation and caring for traffic rules? No!

Watch_Dogs has a bland fucking guy who just wants revenge.

HowZatOZ

Banned
As I said in the OT, I'd disagree with the notion that it pushes guns over hacking or silently infiltrating. All the footage I've seen of the more competent people who don't rush in guns blazing have easily done take downs on guards or better yet distracted them and slipped past. I also saw someone hack a ctOS tower without even entering the building which was just awesome.

Online seems as in-depth as GTA V's. I mean, outside of the free roam the actual modes were rather dull and got repetitive, which is going to be a given when you structure what is an open-world game. Honestly though, if people like Watch Dogs they like Watch Dogs, but it would be nice to discuss more gameplay rather than graphics :)

Squire

Banned
Titanfall was hyped the fuck up, and it only has an 86 average.

Weeks before review are typically quiet. The week before last of us was pretty silent.

It's always "pretty silent" because people sign embargoes and generally abide by them. A week before is probably too short a time period to speak to on my part, but with most AAA games, you can gauge the general attitude towards them in the press for quite a little while prior to reviews. You could make a pretty good guess TF and TLOU were going to review well because press was having a blast with TF at events and eating up anything tied to TLOU. Watch_Dogs has been nothing but skepticism though, and that's not even something that came with the delay. That's always been the attitude towards it.

SirNinja

Major outlets like IGN, Polygon, etc will not be giving this game 9.5s/10s. You're kidding yourself if you think these no-name sites are any indication of the future.

Popularity does not equal credibility, especially when it comes to stuff like this. Between IGN and Polygon, I really can't decide which site's "reviews" I could care less about.

JLeack

Banned
This thread scared the crap out of me. I thought I may have misread the embargo date. Phew.

Let's do a little logic check shall we?

Only popular publications have valid opinions.
These sites aren't popular publications.
Therefore, these sites don't have valid opinions.

I'm going to make a little logic of my own.

You aren't a popular publication. Therefore, your opinion on these opinions not mattering doesn't matter.

Seriously, it's another gamer's opinion. Relax. They have their own viewpoint just like IGN does.

Top Bottom