• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

Ughh, this thread... Is this where we are now as a community? It is so disgusting. I've never seen a gen this specific and nitpicky, comparing every minor detail. It is really depressing... Maybe I'm just getting "too old for this shit".

MaLDo

Ok guys, I have to say some things to bring clarity to this topic!

First of all, the gameplay IS NOT PC, it is PS4. This is no rumor or my opinion, I absolutely know it for sure!

Secondly, it looks quite good for PS4 Footage :)

You can absolutely trust me about it. Since I´m the game journalist they talk about in WatchDogs Q&A: http://youtu.be/26Z5B8-pOS8?t=26m37s

Also, we should speak more about the gameplay, which is the most imporant part and really "next-gen-gameplay"!
All the talks about Watch Dogs graphics are just complete bullshit, because it´s always like:

"Booooh, PS4-gameplay looks worse than high-end-PC gameplay!!!"

...oooh, what a suprise it is :p

I played the PS4-version for over 4,5 hours now and I can tell you, it´s very nice, the graphics are good and the gameplay is awesome.
I´m absolutely sure the PC Watchdogs will look terrific and really better than the E3 2012 demo. So let´s talk more about the gameplay and wait for the new official PC-gameplay!

Sorry dude, there are reasons why you can´t find it in the article anymore... it was more a communication problem. You can expect to see a new video as soon as possible!

Thanks.

R_Deckard

First of all, the gameplay IS NOT PC, it is PS4. This is no rumor or my opinion, I absolutely know it for sure!

You can absolutely trust me about it. Since I´m the game journalist they talk about in WatchDogs Q&A: http://youtu.be/26Z5B8-pOS8?t=26m37s

Also, we should speak more about the gameplay, which is the most imporant part and really "next-gen-gameplay"!
All the talks about Watch Dogs graphics are just complete bullshit, because it´s always like:

I played the PS4-version for over 4,5 hours now and I can tell you, it´s very nice, the graphics are good and the gameplay is awesome.
I´m absolutely sure the PC Watchdogs will look terrific and really better than the E3 2012 demo. So let´s talk more about the gameplay and wait for the new official PC-gameplay!

Sorry dude, there are reasons why you can´t find it in the article anymore... it was more a communication problem. You can expect to see a new video as soon as possible!

Ha HA!!! superb, thanks man for coming in here and clarifying, much props.

And puts alot of people from the first 2 pages now either never replying again here or simply denying the facts!, ....

PS4 melting...

1374288755_mj-laughing.gif

Very well you can remain delusional if you choose but we digress.

This thread is about the new Impressive PC watchdogs video and how much nicer it looks than the console versions.

Anyone else glad they finally opened up about the pc version ?

Upgrade confirmed.

PC redemption?

Bloom/LensFlare is still there

So why can't they do a PS4 video JUST like this?

Yes, that is indeed what I would like the game to look like.

PS4 would probably melt trying to do this.
lol

Are these nVidia exclusive?

so the only version worth getting will be PC? even though some NPC's looked bland the ones talking on cellphone during the rain sequence looked pretty good.

I hope they pull this stuff with the PS4 though.

Alright, fuck the PS4 version. Grabbing this on PC.

Almost makes me want to build a new PC.

I am also expecting that Assassin's Creed Unity on PC will look a magnitude better than the console versions...

I thought the PS4 was the most powerful gaming device ever though?

Obviously just laziness.

First page funny as hell now:

Holy shit. Hahaha. It's the PS4 footage and we have people stating how the PC version crushes the PS4 version... How embarrassing.

This is very telling.

Ughh, this thread... Is this where we are now as a community? It is so disgusting. I've never seen a gen this specific and nitpicky, comparing every minor detail. It is really depressing... Maybe I'm just getting "too old for this shit".

Understandable that everyone reacts like that. I mean if you show a game with spectacular graphics and somehow cool gameplay and a cool feature everyone is expecting exactly this on the console. But Ubisoft seems not being able to deliver the game they promised.

Im not quite sure what to say about the game. If some of those are pc exclusive features than im stunned about how "bad" those consoles "are".

I mean come on. Everyone is expecting the new consoles to be better and now they are already 10 times worse than PC, a few months after the release? I love the PC but this just sounds like pure incompetence.

20cent

Banned
LOL.

I'll wait for the real game, released, and running on PS4 before thanking god and using jordanlaughing.gif

sjay1994

Your not alone.

The sheer hate Watch Dogs is getting for its graphics is absolutely disgusting, and depresses me that people are simply won over by pretty graphics.

The real kicker is the people saying I was interested in this game back in the 2012 reveal. However now that the graphics aren't as good, I have lost interest. And since its a ubisoft game it won't have good gameplay

The fact that peoples only interest in watch dogs came from the fact it was the prettiest looking game at e3 2012 is depressing as hell. The fact that they said they don't like the gameplay of ubisoft's open world games, they would buy it because its pretty.

Not to mention this pessimistic attitude towards the games gameplay because its being made by ubisoft is ridiculous.

And its funnier because when someone try to support the game, people rant on them about their standards. Which is basically " Even though I am completely dismissing this games gameplay as bad/mediocre, I still would have bought it because it looked pretty"

caleb1915

Honestly, every gen gets like this at some points. I think it especially happens when there are periods without very many games. These past few months have been a bit slim. I remember this time around 6 years ago when GTA4 was about to come out on both consoles. The 50 page thread that had gotten so insane they were comparing the textures on detergent boxes sitting in a laundromat area from the only Rockstar released screenshots that were out at the time.

I think the beginning of last gen was much worse. Everyone seems like they hate the drama to a point that it engulfs every conversation about how everyone else seems to be freaking out.

OtaQ

Neo Member
Understandable that everyone reacts like that. I mean if you show a game with spectacular graphics and somehow cool gameplay and a cool feature everyone is expecting exactly this on the console. But Ubisoft seems not being able to deliver the game they promised.

Im not quite sure what to say about the game. If some of those are pc exclusive features than im stunned about how "bad" those consoles "are".

I mean come on. Everyone is expecting the new consoles to be better and now they are already 10 times worse than PC, a few months after the release? I love the PC but this just sounds like pure incompetence.

They are not very good in communicating the differences between the PC and the console-versions. This is the only problem. So much hate and so much bad PR wouldn´t have be there, if they had release new PC-footage. The incompetence is more on our side :I As we, the hardcore-gaming-community, talk about stupid graphic-details we can´t really compare (because of different ingame-situations/day-night/light/weather) and always do compare that whole console-footage with high-end-PC-footage (e3 2012 demo).

There is one thing we can really learn because of that whole Watch Dogs talk: The next-gen consoles are not thaaat NEXT-GEN after all. Of course, there are some games (PS4) which look great, the same way some PS3 looked very nice (Uncharted and some other exclusives), but comparing to the high-end-PCs, the real next-gen-console-storm is already over before it really started. BUT, it´s not all about the graphics, and this is actually the biggest point which a lot of people forget.

You can have the most innovative game upcoming with the freshest gameplay, if there are some mistakes in PR-communication or any other blunder is made, no one will care about the cool features. This is sad, but the usual internet-community behaviour :p

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I am talking about ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
Holy shit. Hahaha. It's the PS4 footage and we have people stating how the PC version crushes the PS4 version... How embarrassing.

This is very telling.
Its a little embarrassing, but lets remember that lots of people are caught up in the 'downgrade' hype of the PS4 version, so many people, including console fans, had it in their mind that the PS4 version looked bad. So anything that looked good would automatically be assumed to be the PC version.

I blame the #downgrade bullshit more than anything. It changed people's expectations and perceptions.

Its a little embarrassing, but lets remember that lots of people are caught up in the 'downgrade' hype of the PS4 version, so many people, including console fans, had it in their mind that the PS4 version looked bad. So anything that looked good would automatically be assumed to be the PC version.

I blame the #downgrade bullshit more than anything. It changed people's expectations and perceptions.
Nah i blame the people. They are dragging down a community that i always thought of as reasonable and fair. Inspirational even sometimes. Now it's becoming a shitfest for the sake of shitting.
People pulling nonsense out of theie asses based on nothing

sjay1994

more they're acting like ubisoft lied to them, which...they did.

Except people have no definitive proof that they did.

All we have a small gameplay snipets since the game was given a new release date. Not to mention every demo at e3 is a small vertical slice of gameplay that shows everything in optimal conditions. Most of them are just videos, with people pretending to play them, where as what you are seeing on screen was pre recorded in studio.

To show what is in the game, the demos are always cherry picked to show all the effects in the game. Thats why in both the Watch Dogs 2012 and 2013 demos you saw all the effects on.

Rain, Lighting, Wind all of them were scripted so the person watching can see the effects in the game.

But when you play it you won't see the effects to the magnitude of the demos you see at e3. They are still in the game, but they are not all going of at the same time.

Asides from linear games, which is scripted that way so it looks like that when you play it, any game that has semblance of openess has scripted effects that are in the game, but are all shown off in the small demo so the viewer can see it.

Not to mention the dozens of trailers ubisoft released before they delayed watch dogs. They put out 12 trailers and they all looked like the initial reveal. Your telling me all of it was faked?

Not to mention I saw a demo being played live twice on a ps4 dev kit. And it looked exactly like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbBxtmCCaI

And I know it wasn't pre recorded with the person pretending to play it, since he fucked up during a cop chase and flew into the water and was killed the second time I saw it.

So if they were lying from the start, then what was the point of delaying it? They could have just rode the hype wave like Gearbox did with Colonial Marines and EA with Battlefield 4, and cashed out.

They haven't stolen money from you.

Are we sure this is the PS4 version? Anyway, whatever version that's supposed to be, not impressed by the lighting compared to the E3 reveal. Everything looks a bit flat.

Of course, there are some games (PS4) which look great, the same way some PS3 looked very nice (Uncharted and some other exclusives), but comparing to the high-end-PCs, the real next-gen-console-storm is already over before it really started. BUT, it´s not all about the graphics, and this is actually the biggest point which a lot of people forget.

I actually don't think that true.
When the first next-gen only titles hit, developed on next-gen only engines, we should see a siginificant step forward compared to any cross-gen title.
This fall will have some people eating crow.

I think Watchdogs will look great. But once the next-gen only titles on next-gen engines hit, Watchdogs will be old news in terms of graphics.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nah u blame the people. They are dragging down a community that i always thought of as reasonable and fair. Inspirational even sometines. Now it's becomming a shitfest for the sake of shitting.
Well yea, that's kinda what I was saying, but trying to do it a bit more politely. ;)

Everyone jumped on the #downgrade hype train, posted the absolute worst screenshots they could find, let people roll with the assumption that they were representative of what the whole game looks like, everybody shits on Watch Dogs, says it looks like crap, bring up Infamous and how awesome it is and how shit Watch Dogs is by comparison(an entire thread on that very specific topic), and so when people see that Watch Dogs maybe looks pretty good, they automatically assume it has to be PC version, cuz they'd been led to believe the PS4 version looked bad.

So yea, people being unreasonable in the first place and shitting on Watch Dogs changed the perception of what people thought when looking at this footage.

sjay1994

They are not very good in communicating the differences between the PC and the console-versions. This is the only problem. So much hate and so much bad PR wouldn´t have be there, if they had release new PC-footage. The incompetence is more on our side :I As we, the hardcore-gaming-community, talk about stupid graphic-details we can´t really compare (because of different ingame-situations/day-night/light/weather) and always do compare that whole console-footage with high-end-PC-footage (e3 2012 demo).

There is one thing we can really learn because of that whole Watch Dogs talk: The next-gen consoles are not thaaat NEXT-GEN after all. Of course, there are some games (PS4) which look great, the same way some PS3 looked very nice (Uncharted and some other exclusives), but comparing to the high-end-PCs, the real next-gen-console-storm is already over before it really started. BUT, it´s not all about the graphics, and this is actually the biggest point which a lot of people forget.

You can have the most innovative game upcoming with the freshest gameplay, if there are some mistakes in PR-communication or any other blunder is made, no one will care about the cool features. This is sad, but the usual internet-community behaviour :p

Since you got to play it, mind sharing your impressions.

ekim

Hm... the original article is gone... what happened? The video in the OP is showing the PS4 version?

H4r4kiri

Die scheinen ja wirklich sehr begeistert von diesem Spiel zu sein.

They seem really really excited about that game !

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually don't think that true.
When the first next-gen only titles hit, developed on next-gen only engines, we should see a siginificant step forward compared to any cross-gen title.
This fall will have some people eating crow.

I think Watchdogs will look great. But once the next-gen only titles on next-gen engines hit, Watchdogs will be old news in terms of graphics.

Yeah, while there's no denying that Microsoft and Sony opted for profitability over power, once developers have moved beyond the PS360, the baseline will move with them. I mean, the PS4/X1 may never get anything that's noticeably ahead of, say, Crysis 3 maxed out on the PC, but generally speaking there'll be improvements across the board once the previous generation of consoles have been left behind.

Wow, so it is PS4 hahaha Just goes to show, eh.

I don't exactly agree that Next gen systems still can blow the doors off with visuals. Infamous to my eyes is the best looking game overall on any system. Tech wise PCs are way ahead, but it doesn't seem anybody is designing games specifically for those specs. Of course a GTX780 targetted game could probably look FAR more impressive than the Watch Dogs reveal. Even when it was revealed assets still had to fit with current gen limitations. The current asset quality is the same as the reveal, just lighting and effects have taken a hit.

However, I expect the next Uncharted to tank the WD reveal as well.

Yeah, while there's no denying that Microsoft and Sony opted for profitability over power, once developers have moved beyond the PS360, the baseline will move with them. I mean, the PS4/X1 may never get anything that's a noticeably ahead of, say, Crysis 3 maxed out on the PC, but generally speaking there'll be improvements across the board once the previous generation of consoles have been left behind.

I think stuff like TheDivision and AssassinsCreed:Unity is possible on next gen consoles. Arkham Knight should also look nuts.
But those are open world titles, I guess the real eyeball melters will be TheOrder1886 and Uncharted, maybe QuantumBreak.

)

I'd wait on the 2nd-3rd generation titles from Naughty Dog and other 1st party studios before claiming anything is over. Watch Dogs says us nothing about next gen because it's not even the best looking open world game of this year (inFamous SS), honestly it doesn't look that much better than GTA V on PS3.

GHG

All i have to say is that this is hilarious. Lots of people being exposed in this thread whether it be for having an anti-watchdogs/ubi or anti-ps4 agenda.

I call this bullshit. First of all the new consoles arrived so its current gen. Sucker Punch is really bad with optimizing their games. And they did a great job with Infamous Second Son. And the unified memory is huge plus for PS4 and i doubt that anybody took advantage of it yet. Also some Devs are putting so many special features into their pc versions that are unoptimized as fuck and can never be fixxed and not because the PCs are powerless no its because some devs just dont care for the pc version.

Everything we saw last gen will just repeat over every gen until consoles are dead.

NPC's wear clothes according to the weather.

I see raincoats, and umbrellas

I'm not sure you need anything more in rain

When I said rain clothes, you asked me what it meant, I said raincoats and umbrellas, now you reiterate what I just said. I'm not sure what you are discussing.

MJLord

If they talked to us more we as a community would throw back whatever they said in their faces. The gaming community is terrible at it as a whole.

I thought this video looked good though. It'll be interesting to see how the wind interacts with the environment and to what extent.

MaLDo

Its a shame there is no realtime reflections of NPC's and vehicles ala infamous. It really grounds everything and makes them appear a part of the world. All the NPC's look a bit...floaty? Without it.

Still nothing close to the reveal. and it looks even worse on consoles. Still an easy pass. Especially given how "eh" the gameplay looks as well.

What blows my mind is the ability of people to imagine good things for their favorite games while imagining negative things for games they hate.

Vehicle reflections ala infamous?

Sucker Punch have managed to use a smart design that goes beyond their technical limitations, creating a visually appealing whole. But that does not make reflections appear where there are none. Most reflections are static cubemaps, and there aren't cars reflections.

Now we don't know how dynamic time of day would have affected the GI simulation in Infamous. When they launch the announced patch, we will see if it's possible to change tod gradually in real time, or if the game only gives you the option to choose from a predetermined times list. A static baked GI always gives more quality because it has been generated offline with the highest quality.

sjay1994

When I said rain clothes, you asked me what it meant, I said raincoats and umbrellas, now you reiterate what I just said. I'm not sure what you are discussing.

welp... this whole thing ended up being a big misunderstanding. I was under the impression you were upset that the npc's were not wearing rain clothes. Also, I can't understand the text in the video, so I didn't know it said "NPC's wear different clothes depending on weather"

My bad.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man the confusion. So the clip is PS4 - right. Not bad, not bad at all. Bring some PC footage out then as that's the pre-order l cancelled! Maybe thread title change would be good as well ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
All i have to say is that this is hilarious. Lots of people being exposed in this thread whether it be for having an anti-watchdogs/ubi or anti-ps4 agenda.
Nah, it doesn't mean either of those things. Its a matter of having distorted expectations from all the #downgrade hype.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think stuff like TheDivision and AssassinsCreed:Unity is possible on next gen consoles. Arkham Knight should also look nuts.
But those are open world titles, I guess the real eyeball melters will be TheOrder1886 and Uncharted, maybe QuantumBreak.

My pick of the bunch would be Uncharted. I'm really looking forward to seeing what ND can do with the PS4.

They're not low resolution, though.

Which open world games look better on any platform?

I honestly just don't understand why so much effort with childplease. He's a certified troll. Hell his comment about Infamous and jaggies is all there needs to be read to understand him.

sjay1994

What blows my mind is the ability of people to imagine good things for their favorite games while imagining negative things for games they hate.

Sucker Punch have managed to use a smart design that goes beyond their technical limitations, creating a visually appealing whole. But that does not make reflections appear where there are none. Most reflections are static cubemaps, and there aren't cars reflections.

Now we don't know how dynamic time of day would have affected the GI simulation in Infamous. When they launch the announced patch, we will see if it's possible to change tod gradually in real time, or if the game only gives you the option to choose from a predetermined times list. A static baked GI always gives more quality because it has been generated offline with the highest quality.

Not to mention that in the e3 demos for Watch Dogs, it was always wet. So light was reflecting everywhere. Since the re announce with a new release date, they haven't shown wet surfaces.

It looks exacly like the trailers...

The dif. is, that now there is no action, so we can see the details working. Also there is no shitty camera work.

The wind effects are the only thing thats surprising, the lightning remains very bad and unrealistic during the daytime.

welp... this whole thing ended up being a big misunderstanding. I was under the impression you were upset that the npc's were not wearing rain clothes. Also, I can't understand the text in the video, so I didn't know it said "NPC's wear different clothes depending on weather"

My bad.

No problem, my first post was when I wasn't aware this was the PS4 version, thinking the video was showcasing PC exclusive features.

Cars Do have real time reflections. I've seen it all the time.(talking about Infamous :SS)

OtaQ

Neo Member
I call this bullshit. First of all the new consoles arrived so its current gen. Sucker Punch is really bad with optimizing their games. And they did a great job with Infamous Second Son. And the unified memory is huge plus for PS4 and i doubt that anybody took advantage of it yet. Also some Devs are putting so many special features into their pc versions that are unoptimized as fuck and can never be fixxed and not because the PCs are powerless no its because some devs just dont care for the pc version.

Everything we saw last gen will just repeat over every gen until consoles are dead.

Don´t understand me wrong. I mean, next-gen-consoles won´t be that totally mindblowing like the last "next-gens" with PS1,PS2, PS3 etc.There will be of course graphicly amazing games, like the next Uncharted and other games, but I don´t believe the PS4/Xbox One will stun us that much, since the PC hardware nowerdays is so much better. So you will always look for the PC to see the real next-gen-graphic ;) ..except some very few exklusive games like Uncharted...

MaLDo

Not to mention that in the e3 demos for Watch Dogs, it was always wet. So light was reflecting everywhere. Since the re announce with a new release date, they haven't shown wet surfaces.

In fact, a lot of reflections are innaccurate and shadows are missing in 2012 reveal. But you know, it's 2012 and people memories and emotions are strong.

watch_dog-1587h2.gif

No reflections for car lights on the road.
No reflections for ceiling lights of gas station.
No shadows for the car into the gas station.

Top Bottom