• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

It's a shame that people's excitement for Watch Dogs is purely based on graphical quality. Am I the only one still intrigued by the game's premise?

Which is weird as it's totally unimpressive. Have they even shown any decent chunks of gameplay? I've no idea why people want this.

Very well you can remain delusional if you choose but we digress.

This thread is about the new Impressive PC watchdogs video and how much nicer it looks than the console versions.

Anyone else glad they finally opened up about the pc version ?

Ok guys, I have to say some things to bring clarity to this topic!

First of all, the gameplay IS NOT PC, it is PS4. This is no rumor or my opinion, I absolutely know it for sure!

idxhabruuflcygxs7h.gif

Don´t understand me wrong. I mean, next-gen-consoles won´t be that totally mindblowing like the last "next-gens" with PS1,PS2, PS3 etc.There will be of course graphicly amazing games, like the next Uncharted and other games, but I don´t believe the PS4/Xbox One will stun us that much, since the PC hardware nowerdays is so much better. So you will always look for the PC to see the real next-gen-graphic ;) ..except some very few exklusive games like Uncharted...

You are missing the point. Most of the biggest devs aren't specifically targetting those hardwares. It will be the same as this gen. I have played stuff on PC anyway, and Infamous still impresses me mightily. Despite the hardware gulf, there is no open world game on PC that looks as good. That has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to with devs investing money and effort to specifically target certain specs.

sjay1994

In fact, a lot of reflections are innaccurate and shadows are missing in 2012 reveal. But you know, it's 2012 and people memories and emotions are strong.

watch_dog-1587h2.gif

No reflections for car lights on the road.
No reflections for ceiling lights of gas station.
No shadows for the car into the gas station.

Not just 2012, the demo at the PS4 reveal, the floor was wet and it was taking place mid day. And the e3 2013 it was also raining and at night.

People are judging this game simply from small vertical slices, designed to show the game in its best conditions. People acting like the demos were faked are being pessimistic and riding the downgrade train.

No open world is visually consistent.

For every amazing shot put out, an unflattering one can also be used.

Everything we saw last gen will just repeat over every gen until consoles are dead.

Not this time.

You do understand how crazy the power disparity between gaming pcs and consoles are this gen right ?

Gaming pcs are sooooooo much more powerful this go around and this just doesn't stop there is no slow upward climb in power on the pc side.

Video cards are just jumping in power exponentially.

I mean the Titan z for example makes the ps4 look like a toaster in comparison.

This thread is about the new Impressive PC watchdogs video and how much nicer it looks than the console versions.

I'm just as impressed as you by the PS4 version and how much nicer it looks than the previous PS4 videos man.

2641935_o.gif

MJLord

Not just 2012, the demo at the PS4 reveal, the floor was wet and it was taking place mid day. And the e3 2013 it was also raining and at night.

People are judging this game simply from small vertical slices, designed to show the game in its best conditions. People acting like the demos were faked are being pessimistic and riding the downgrade train.

No open world is visually consistent.

For every amazing shot put out, an unflattering one can also be used.

That almost sounds *too* reasonable!

OtaQ

Neo Member
Since you got to play it, mind sharing your impressions.

Just ask me something, and I maybe could answer you.

On the other hand, you can find all my impressions in the titlestory of the newest issue of PC Games 04/14. You find it in all countrys with german language or even download it in a digital version via appstore.

R_Deckard

All i have to say is that this is hilarious. Lots of people being exposed in this thread whether it be for having an anti-watchdogs/ubi or anti-ps4 agenda.

Yep this is the case

They are not very good in communicating the differences between the PC and the console-versions. This is the only problem. So much hate and so much bad PR wouldn´t have be there, if they had release new PC-footage. The incompetence is more on our side :I As we, the hardcore-gaming-community, talk about stupid graphic-details we can´t really compare (because of different ingame-situations/day-night/light/weather) and always do compare that whole console-footage with high-end-PC-footage (e3 2012 demo).

There is one thing we can really learn because of that whole Watch Dogs talk: The next-gen consoles are not thaaat NEXT-GEN after all. Of course, there are some games (PS4) which look great, the same way some PS3 looked very nice (Uncharted and some other exclusives), but comparing to the high-end-PCs, the real next-gen-console-storm is already over before it really started. BUT, it´s not all about the graphics, and this is actually the biggest point which a lot of people forget.

You can have the most innovative game upcoming with the freshest gameplay, if there are some mistakes in PR-communication or any other blunder is made, no one will care about the cool features. This is sad, but the usual internet-community behaviour :p

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I am talking about ;)

Yes and No, we are less than 6 months into a Gen, FAR too soon to right of Xbox One let alone PS4 at this point, I fully expect ND to blow the (what I feel) is arguably the best looking game on any platform at moment Second Son out of the water and with it the Original 2012 Reveal of WD, I expect 343i to achieve stupendously high levels, Ditto many other games over the next 12-24 months.

The issue with PC is nothing ever gets made to one spec, having power on paper is pointless if you never get a chance to use it, ppl moan about optimising PC version, but how do you do that when you have a humongous array of specs/combinations and power to deal with, you cant. I think PS4 will be just fine, hell this thread as hardcore PC owners waxing lyrical about a game as PC when it was by your admission PS4! I have no fears for the machines yet.
Its a little embarrassing, but lets remember that lots of people are caught up in the 'downgrade' hype of the PS4 version, so many people, including console fans, had it in their mind that the PS4 version looked bad. So anything that looked good would automatically be assumed to be the PC version.

I blame the #downgrade bullshit more than anything. It changed people's expectations and perceptions.

This. The Shitfest from the Downgrade was just crazy, isolated Gifs just mass hysteria. And then the general Internet Lemming Mentality did the rest, "Oh the masses (see most vocal) say it is crap and downgraded..follow them!" did the rest, sad and ridiculous, I mean we had people compring it to GTA 3 on PS2...I mean?!?

Nah i blame the people. They are dragging down a community that i always thought of as reasonable and fair. Inspirational even sometimes. Now it's becoming a shitfest for the sake of shitting.
People pulling nonsense out of theie asses based on nothing

Yep pretty much

sjay1994

Not this time.

You do understand how crazy the power disparity between gaming pcs and consoles are this gen right ?

Gaming pcs are sooooooo much more powerful this go around and this just doesn't stop there is no slow upward climb in power on the pc side.

When I am paying more than 7X the price of a PS4 for just a graphics card you better fucking outperform it.

velociraptor

This is fucking hilarious.

There aren't enough :lol similes in the world to describe this post.

sjay1994

Just ask me something, and I maybe could answer you.

On the other hand, you can find all my impressions in the titlestory of the newest issue of PC Games 04/14. You find it in all countrys with german language or even download it in a digital version via appstore.

How was the overall hacking element and environment manipulation, since to me it is the thing that really interested me the most on watch dogs.

Does it feel good to use? Does it feel overpowered?

Thanks again.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
When I am paying more than 7X the price of a PS4 for just a graphics card you better fucking outperform it.

The point here is that with increasing power of GPU's every year, you'll get a TITAN level performance for sub 300$ within next 2-3 years. Just imagine the scenario then.

When I am paying more than 7X the price of a PS4 for a graphics card you better fucking outperform it.

Absolutely at the same time a 180 dollar video card outperforms a ps4 also 150 on sale.

At every price point the power disparity between consoles and pc is insane.

I mean it took nearly 7 years ? last gen to get to the power disparity that we have now with the high end cards ?

Radec

people still falling for that childplease guy. lol

Ok guys, I have to say some things to bring clarity to this topic!

First of all, the gameplay IS NOT PC, it is PS4. This is no rumor or my opinion, I absolutely know it for sure!

Secondly, it looks quite good for PS4 Footage :)

You can absolutely trust me about it. Since I´m the game journalist they talk about in WatchDogs Q&A: http://youtu.be/26Z5B8-pOS8?t=26m37s

Also, we should speak more about the gameplay, which is the most imporant part and really "next-gen-gameplay"!
All the talks about Watch Dogs graphics are just complete bullshit, because it´s always like:

"Booooh, PS4-gameplay looks worse than high-end-PC gameplay!!!"

...oooh, what a suprise it is :p

I played the PS4-version for over 4,5 hours now and I can tell you, it´s very nice, the graphics are good and the gameplay is awesome.
I´m absolutely sure the PC Watchdogs will look terrific and really better than the E3 2012 demo. So let´s talk more about the gameplay and wait for the new official PC-gameplay!

Time to change the thread title then!

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects PS4 Video [Ready the first page for the lols]

sjay1994

The point here is that with increasing power of GPU's every year, you'll get a TITAN level performance for sub 300$ within next 2-3 years. Just imagine the scenario then.

This is also the reason why I don't pc game much. Because its constantly advancing, and you are never current for long unless you got deep pockets

MJLord

Absolutely at the same time a 180 dollar video card outperforms a ps4 also 150 on sale.

I mean it took nearly 7 years ? last gen to get to the power disparity that we have now with the high end cards ?

Then buy PC only games that are more likely to utilise that power. For a lot of big publisher/developers it's not worth putting the time in for the extra assets and problems that come with it to focus on PC when their game is console focussed.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
This is also the reason why I don't pc game much. Because its constantly advancing, and you are never current for long unless you got deep pockets

So you want technology to stagnate?

Just because you can't afford to buy the new Porsche doesn't mean they'll stop making new ones.

Also spending sub 300$ every 2 years to get mid-high end GPU to get better graphics isn't that much of a deal. If you don't like it buy a console.

Anyways, I still believe that PC version on max settings will look close to that 2012 reveal.

sjay1994

So you want technology to stagnate?

Just because you can't afford to buy the new Porsche doesn't mean they'll stop making new ones.

Also spending sub 300$ every 2 years to get mid-high end GPU to get better graphics isn't that much of a deal. If you don't like it buy a console.

Exactly why I did by a console.

I don't want tech to stop moving, its just that its moving to fast for me to keep up with/afford.

Consoles just move more at my pace.

You don't have to be at the top end or always have the latest and greatest.

Alot of people get by just fine with bang for your buck mid tier cards , you can then adjust your graphical options to meet your taste.

Buying video cards is one of the few areas that it usually pays to wait.

always a bigger better card around the corner and usually cheaper too.

Childplease is wrong or right?

I am always right baby.

Including the time I called Black Panther bootlegged Batman.

R_Deckard

The point here is that with increasing power of GPU's every year, you'll get a TITAN level performance for sub 300$ within 2-3 years. Just imagine the scenario then.

Titan is not even that great for games (or meant for them).

The R290x outperforms the titan anyway generally for around £450 but this is just the GFX card, and this still stands now. What games do we have that massively outperform this consoles with GFX cards that are 5 times the power?

All you will see is the same game at 4k, THIS is where PC gaming is going and to run at 1080/30 game like Infamous or WD @ 4k/60 takes more grunt than we have now that is for sure.

You know that you need cpu hdd etc right? And the architecture of the PS4 is made for this specific hardware right? The OS from PS4 is built for gaming. The PS4 does not need to run steam in the meanwhile. It also doesnt need any antivirus software. I think you dont know how easy it is to optimize a game for one hardware or gpu compared. to thousands of gpu from different firms that are completely different.

kudoboi

that really isn't true. i only upgraded my GPU once in 3 years and the GPU was just a $200 GPU too. It can play battlefield 4 at ultra/ 60FPS/ 1080P.

I had been using my PC for 3.5 years and the only thing i upgraded was the RAM, GPU and sound card which only added up to around $300. that plus the amount you save by steam sales actually makes it cheaper than a console.

you have to pay for subscription for MP on consoles plus you usually change one every 4 years anyway either due to it failing or a upgraded model is released.

You know that you need cpu hdd etc right? And the architecture of the PS4 is made for this specific hardware right? The OS from PS4 is built for gaming. The PS4 does not need to run steam in the meanwhile. It also doesnt need any antivirus software. I think you dont know how easy it is to optimize a game for one hardware or gpu compared. to thousands of gpu from different firms that are completely different.

Go to the build a pc thread they can build you a pc that is much more powerful than a ps4 for under 500 dollars.

All those points you made are negated due to the recent developments in low access apis on the pc but not only that the sheer power disparity overcomes all those factors with brute power.

Those optimizations on consoles are the equivalent of putting a ram air filter on a honda civic, sure you gain 1-3 hp but at the end of the day that 500 hp corvette beats it .

Sirolf

Just shut up Child...
You're already so ridiculised in this tread lol

RulkezX

Apologies for being LTTP , I saw this thread last night but am I reading correctly that the video is actually ps4 footage ?

They are not very good in communicating the differences between the PC and the console-versions. This is the only problem. So much hate and so much bad PR wouldn´t have be there, if they had release new PC-footage. The incompetence is more on our side :I As we, the hardcore-gaming-community, talk about stupid graphic-details we can´t really compare (because of different ingame-situations/day-night/light/weather) and always do compare that whole console-footage with high-end-PC-footage (e3 2012 demo).

There is one thing we can really learn because of that whole Watch Dogs talk: The next-gen consoles are not thaaat NEXT-GEN after all. Of course, there are some games (PS4) which look great, the same way some PS3 looked very nice (Uncharted and some other exclusives), but comparing to the high-end-PCs, the real next-gen-console-storm is already over before it really started. BUT, it´s not all about the graphics, and this is actually the biggest point which a lot of people forget.

You can have the most innovative game upcoming with the freshest gameplay, if there are some mistakes in PR-communication or any other blunder is made, no one will care about the cool features. This is sad, but the usual internet-community behaviour :p

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I am talking about ;)

Would you care to verify your identity in some way?

Contact me via PM.

sjay1994

that really isn't true. i only upgraded my GPU once in 3 years and the GPU was just a $200 GPU too. It can play battlefield 4 at ultra/ 60FPS/ 1080P.

I had been using my PC for 3.5 years and the only thing i upgraded was the RAM, GPU and sound card which only added up to around $300. that plus the amount you save by steam sales actually makes it cheaper than a console.

you have to pay for subscription for MP on consoles plus you usually change one every 4 years anyway either due to it failing or a upgraded model is released.

I used to be a nintendo only gamer, and when I made the switch to PS3 mid way through last gen the only reasons I chose it was

1) The 360 pad was too big for my baby hands

2) PS3 had free online.

Ironically, when PS plus first launched I subscribed day 1 since the service seemed interesting.

Its a better value to me than steam sales, since its a free game, and its paced periodically. Where as steam sales are a huge sploosh of discounted games, that I buy so many, and only play 1-2.

Also, since I am in university a console is more ideal for me since I move around a lot.

Maybe once I bunker down and make a stable income, I can indulge in trying PC gaming.

I am not denying the strength of PC's but as of now, consoles suit my life style a lot more.

Alej

Banned
DAT PC footage huh.

So can we all agree that, as a game, Infamous PS4 is looking a lot better than WD PC?
And then, because we all know that Highend PCs completely destroy PS4 by a big margin, can we all agree that highend PCs power isn't even remotely well used at all and that console advancements are really raising the bar every gen?

Because please, crows are served this early year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The article still talks about the PC version and there is no mention of PS4 as far as I can see. And the first video is no longer there?

Edit: or is the article completely gone? The link in the op goes to an article from October 2013.

Edit 2: Ah, it's still on the youtube.

sjay1994

DAT PC footage huh.

So can we all agree that, as a game, Infamous PS4 is looking a lot better than WD PC?
And then, because we all know that Highend PCs completely destroy PS4 by a big margin, can we all agree that highend PCs power isn't even remotely well used at all and that console advancements are really raising the bar every gen?

Because please, crows are served this early year.

You should read the later posts. The footage is PS4, not PC.

Septimius

In contrast, you are never current with a console. If you time your purchases somewhat, they'll last for years and years. I have had a card since 2011, and it still impresses me.

In fact, a lot of reflections are innaccurate and shadows are missing in 2012 reveal. But you know, it's 2012 and people memories and emotions are strong.

watch_dog-1587h2.gif

No reflections for car lights on the road.
No reflections for ceiling lights of gas station.
No shadows for the car into the gas station.

Surely there wouldn't be much 'reflection' of the petrol station lights when it's covered and therefore the ground isn't wet

Dennis

Banned
So we still have yet to see recent footage of the, by now, almost legendary, PC version.

I don't know, Ubi. Being this coy could backfire. If the PC version doesn't look amazing......

Not this time.

Sure, PC's will always have the upperhand if you're willing to invest. Everybody knows that.
That doesn't excuse you from other silly comments though.

I think you need some introspection as for why you feel the need to state certain things. Maybe anger, frustration, don't know. But try working on that.

Top Bottom