• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

This looks pretty good but not worth comparing to any other game, or even this video, until the final version is released.

I am really hoping the gameplay is solid.

they did it because the game uses some pre-baked lighting and therefore time could not change on the fly as a mechanical restriction...

Yeah, that's one thing inFamous sure as hell doesn't have down
I dont think the lighting is pre baked in infamous. It changes in real time during those fast forward cut scenes

Edit you will be able change it on the fly with a new patch soon

SaberEdge

You like it, I don't, that's fine but don't push your preferences onto me.

It's not only a depth of field effect that causes that lack of detail on objects further away, it's also due to aggressive LOD changes.

1300-2492732

sjay1994

I think people got too hyped and are now disappointed because the entire game isn't composed of rainy nights and big explosions.In my opinion it still looks like the 2012 reveal
on PC

i69xURCAsBO0w.gif

iDgsWWPmMXqVL.gif

ibgClQTh1oDoR3.gif

Honestly though... I find it weird that since Watch Dogs re-reveal. They have barely shown any rain, nightime footage.

The effects are still in the game, but the demo's are scripted to have every visual effect going of at once. Everything watch dogs has shown is possible (except the physics from the gas station explosion back in 2012, I still find that one hard to believe)

Jonathan Morin said they will be releasing a walkthrough demo before the game releases, and hopefully it will quell some people down.

Sorry but this doesn't impress me. The water looks extremely weird and unnatural. The people look lifeless. The textures meh. Doesn't compare to 2012 imo.

I dont think the lighting is pre baked in infamous. It changes in real time during those fast forward cut scenes

it's been noted by several outlets that some lighting is prebaked alongside global illumination for certain sources in inFamous based on information from Sucker Punch themselves. It doesn't make any sense to go 'it changes in realtime during cutscenes', I mean just think about what you're saying there for real. There's a reason why the post-patch time shift option isn't a day/night time cycle but a time selector to select specific times of day and you can bet your ass it'll come with a loading screen or short little 'cutscene' of one vertically sliced small, quickly loaded location in the game to mask the game loading in all other instances of pre-baked lighting.

GTA V and other open world games switch the time of day for story purposes but still have fully featured day/night cycles alongside.

sjay1994

What I'm most impressed by is the NPC animations. It really helps the immersion when the NPC's animate like real people. Most of the time you're not really looking at them directly anyways, but you get a sense of their motion even then and if their walk is too non-human and robotic it always sets off some sensor in my brain. They don't look amazing, but they really seem to animate well.

To be fair, Watch Dogs is probably one of the few (if not only) open world game that has put this much emphasis on the NPC's that inhabit the world.

it's been noted by several outlets that some lighting is prebaked alongside global illumination for certain sources in inFamous based on information from Sucker Punch themselves. It doesn't make any sense to go 'it changes in realtime during cutscenes', I mean just think about that. There's a reason why the post-patch time shift function isn't a day/night time cycle but a time selector and you can bet your ass it'll come with a loading screen or 'cutscene' to mask the game loading in instances of pre-baked lighting/

It might have something to do with how they implemented the shadows. I dont think the lighting is baked though. Maybe keeping those high quality soft shadows with real time tod was too much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That proves its pre-baked. The lighting should have a day-night cycle. Not, be allowed to change it to whatever time of day on the fly.
Programing a day/night cycle is different than having dynamic lighting.

The lighting is dynamic as far as I know, just some of the world reflections are prebaked.

w00zey

This looks pretty good but not worth comparing to any other game, or even this video, until the final version is released.

I am really hoping the gameplay is solid.
That's how I feel. This place goes high and low like a roller coaster with every syllabus and snippet that is shown. Gaf bipolar society.

It might have something to do with how they implemented the shadows. I dont think the lighting is baked though. Maybe keeping those high quality soft shadows with real time tod was too much.
The lack of any sort of day/night cycle + those transitions should be evidence enough that some of the lighting is prebaked, enough so that any sort of real-time transition would be unfeasible

SaberEdge

Im literrally playing it right now..The lighting simply looks amazing. The mid day scenes in this game look dull and lifeless vs GTA
Thats an embarassment for a next gen game that many will compare to GTA

That's subjective and I don't agree. But objectively Watch Dog's lighting system is superior.

FLAguy954

I highly doubt any of those effects are PC exclusive but they are enhanced in the PC version...
Better shadows, reflections, draw distance, water/wind simulation, and overall improved lighting.

Shadows in general. Does the PS4 version even have floor-casted shadows for the NPCs?

sjay1994

Programing a day/night cycle is different than having dynamic lighting.

No, having a day-night cycle is the easiest way to prove that there is dynamic lighting, since the sun and moon are the largest light source you can put in a game, and the positioning should be able to cast different lighting and show that objects are able to replicate light bouncing of it/ shadows cast.

Also, funny seeing how hypocritical people are since they were defending Infamous when we thought it had no shadows from some screen shots, and are now attacking watch dogs for not having shadows in some scenes.

Smellycat

I was honestly looking for the "after" shots. I thought the banner on the top was saying "before" in German. I didn't see anything shown was impressive.

Jedi2016

Well, so much for the folks that actually believed Ubi's "High-end PC" bullshit from E3 2012, that actually thought it was going to look *way* better than PS4/XB1.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No, having a day-night cycle is the easiest way to prove that there is dynamic lighting, since the sun and moon are the largest light source you can put in a game, and the positioning should be able to cast different lighting and show that objects are able to replicate light bouncing of it/ shadows cast.

Also, funny seeing how hypocritical people are since they were defending Infamous when we thought it had no shadows from some screen shots, and are now attacking watch dogs for not having shadows in some scenes.

A day/night cycle is the easiest way to prove it but SP hasn't programmed the movement of the sun or anything like that. The reason it's just going to be a menu option is because they're just patching it in and actually making a cycle would take a lot more resources than they can devote to a patch. You can still have dynamic lighting without day/night cycles.

A day/night cycle is the easiest way to prove it but SP hasn't programmed the movement of the sun or anything like that. The reason it's just going to be a menu option is because they're just patching it in and actually making a cycle would take a lot more resources than they can devote to a patch. You can still have dynamic lighting without day/night cycles.

Yeah and inFamous is still mostly dynamic lighting, just not all of the atmospheric elements

32 machines are used in the render farmthat computed all the reflected/ambient lighting in the game.

sjay1994

Well, so much for the folks that actually believed Ubi's "High-end PC" bullshit from E3 2012, that actually thought it was going to look *way* better than PS4/XB1.

Why are people so set on this?

Every demo at e3 is a small vertical slice of gameplay that shows everything in optimal conditions. Most of them are just videos, with people pretending to play them, where as what you are seeing on screen was pre recorded in studio.

To show what is in the game, the demos are always cherry picked to show all the effects in the game. Thats why in both the Watch Dogs 2012 and 2013 demos you saw all the effects on.

Rain, Lighting, Wind all of them were scripted so the person watching can see the effects in the game.

But when you play it you won't see the effects to the magnitude of the demos you see at e3. They are still in the game, but they are not all going of at the same time.

Asides from linear games, which is scripted that way so it looks like that when you play it, any game that has semblance of openess has scripted effects that are in the game, but are all shown off in the small demo so the viewer can see it.

Open world games are never visually consistant with what you see in trailers

CanH7Jx.jpg

48_900_e32733bad1ae00a365e55f0e4845621e.jpg

belmonkey

I wasn't terribly impressed by the video; something about Watch Dogs just looks janky to me. Still, I'm always interested to see how a GTX 750 ti / 260x will hold up in new games.

Calabain

Neo Member
PC Master race etc etc etc.

Still, I'm glad that it seems like Ubisoft is making more of an effort to appease the computer crowd. I actually quite enjoy their games aside from the abysmal Assassin's Creed 3 but they've always struck me as indifferent toward the platform of my choice

The water looks weird to me for some reason. Besides that I'm not really seeing much difference from the Chicago trailer they released. The effects are cool though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Put me in the camp that believes E3 '12 was a tech demo. WD2 should look like that. I think current gen exclusive open world games later this year like Arkham Knight and AC: Unity will be about on par with that demo.

slapnuts

Found this on my daily Watch_Dogs tweetering search...

"Direct from the developers from Montreal, we have received exclusive 1080p scenes from the PC version of the watchdog. The clips show what provides the engine of Ubisoft in lighting effects, tessellation and wind simulation"

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch...lusives-Technik-Video-zur-PC-Version-1115771/

IN MY VEINS NOW.... Gat Damn...

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsCt8Yf2emo

Ah yes...this is why its soooo worth having both a PS4 and Gaming PC ....you simply cannot miss out on anything :)

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Well it looks good, but i'm not blown away (prob cause they need more wind effects :DD).
Will have to see in-game at the desk of course. Though if AC is any indication, this game will run like poo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They should have made the game always set at night.

Animator

What happened to this game:

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

OxRaK.gif

tumblr_m5hjyghXm61r8upkio1_500.gif

ibvSOr9enBNC8V.gif

Exactly.

This is what got me excited when I first watched the reveal. Game looks like utter ass now in comparison to the video the above gifs are taken from.

The whole show a fancy "in game" trailer they know they can't achieve and then downgrade the shit out of it for release thing is getting old.

I wonder why the haven't shown any cockpit view footage. Game looks great regardless, and I just re-watched the 'welcome to Chicago' footage which I also think looks very good. They haven't said whether the console version will run at 1080p. I guess they're tinkering with it to get the best performance, but I hope they manage it in the end.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Engine seems to struggle a bit with strong global lighting, like during the day, where large areas of environment are lit in unison. Game looks pretty great at night when shadows are masking a lot of the rougher areas, and neon illumination contrasts nicely on dark backgrounds. Seems to be a common problem with a lot of engines: bright environments vs. dark environments. For example I've always felt Naughty Dog's PlayStation 3 game engine looks shit loads better in brighter environments than it does in the dark. This seems to be the other way around.

I also don't really understand the Infamous comparisons. I'm sure the PlayStation 4 can crank out even better than Infamous: Second Son, but this is a game that has been built in assets and engine exclusively for PlayStation 4 hardware. The comparison really isn't apt, Watch Dog downgrades or not, as the latter game is multi-platform and multi-generation. In 99% of cases you're just not going to get the best out of hardware when your game and engine have to take into account severely limited hardware even if there's a "next generation" build.

This is especially true when we bring in Nvidia/PC bonus stuff. In many cases these cross generation games do not result in a major overhaul on PC. It's fundamentally the same asset content as the Xbone/PS3 builds, polished and spruced up with the usual PC advantages (resolution, texture detail, etc). There's the odd contender (eg: Crysis 3), but usually these cross generation games are permanently hindered by their asset and engine limitations and no magical game changing PC build exists. Many of the engine/graphic additions outside of the regular are spit and polish are physics or detail driven: enhanced cloth, wind, grass, softer shadows, and so on. These are not big changes but none the less computationally expensive effects that subtly enhance nuances in the presentation. They are what they are.

UX Genes

You people are seriously ridiculous. Anyone that watched that vid and thinks that looks bad, needs medical attention. Jesus Christ you people are negative af. No wonder devs can't stand/don't give a shit about the community anymore. Everyone is so over-the-top, outrageously negative about EVERYTHING. Give it a rest.

To be fair, Watch Dogs is probably one of the few (if not only) open world game that has put this much emphasis on the NPC's that inhabit the world.

GTA IV did, and it was praised for it at the time.
GTAV was like a quarter step back nothing new, some things downgraded.
It was the cost of the graphics upgrade. GTA6 should be able to do both hopefully.
This is on a new level of course with the hacking.

Kimawolf

Visual downgrade huh? Guess only on consoles. I think it looks amazing and will be getting it on my PC. Can't wait to make my 780 scream a Lil bit.

Top Bottom