• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_dogs: Wind, Water, light effects - [PS4 version confirmed]

caleb1915

Farcry 3 is one of my top 3 games of all time. If the gameplay in Watch Dogs is remotely similar to what was in Farcry 3 than it will keep me occupied for a long time.

Haven't you heard?!

Far Cry 3 is a bad game now!
:p, I personally loved it, except the hunting. Thankfully you can just do that with the side hunting missions so you can get all crafted gear

I share most of his opinion and I've played the game. Platinumed it, even.

Stop doing that ^

I don't mean to be rude but I just can't fathom how anyone that has played the game can feel that way. It looks so much better than any of the footage of Watch Dogs currently. I guess opinions and all that but man I uhh. Yeah I don't get it.

SaberEdge

Pointing out how these aren't PC exclusive features is downplaying Watch Dogs now? Was this a real post submitted to NeoGAF.com friend?

No, I agree that these technical features aren't exclusive to the PC version. I was referring to your comment saying it looks "mediocre". If Watch Dogs looks mediocre to you I would love to see the games you must be playing.

Looks pretty good to me.

ibvHpByGQFU3Hd.gif

AzerPhire

Smh the whole roller coaster reaction towards Watch_Dogs visuals on this forum is embarrassing.

Pc fanboys being pc fanboys

Looks pretty much the same as the ps4 footage

LOL coming from you this is hilarious. If this was PS4 footage and the last footage was from XB1 we wouldn't hear the end of it and this thread would be 3x larger.

PS4 fans always happy to brag but when a game looks better on PC it's either "lazy" devs, or there is no difference.

Keep up the good fight!

caleb1915

So they're using the same water tech in this that they used for AC4 right?

Seriously the best in-game water I've seen so far.

maneil99

You're talking about contrast and color, not so much the lighting engine itself. Watch Dogs uses global illumination and a deferred engine that supports hundreds of lights. Infamous also supports hundreds of lights, but the difference is, most of those light sources don't cast shadows, whereas Watch Dogs (according to Ubisoft and what I can see in the videos) supports dozens of lights in the same scene that all cast dynamic shadows.
GTA has a much better looking lighting system then WD. I don't care about the method. The fact it looks worse is sad. Also we've only seen the sun and headlights reflect shadows

Yoday

I think people got too hyped and are now disappointed because the entire game isn't composed of rainy nights and big explosions.In my opinion it still looks like the 2012 reveal
on PC

i69xURCAsBO0w.gif

iDgsWWPmMXqVL.gif

ibgClQTh1oDoR3.gif
I agree. It doesn't look much different at all to me. The biggest difference is that the 2012 reveal was showcasing pretty much every effect that the game could do in one scene. The game still looks fantastic, people are just going crazy.

maneil99

LOL coming from you this is hilarious. If this was PS4 footage and the last footage was from XB1 we wouldn't hear the end of it and this thread would be 3x larger.

PS4 fans always happy to brag but when a game looks better on PC it's either "lazy" devs, or there is no difference.

Keep up the good fight!
Getting mad at opinions because they conflict with yours is just as bad bud._

viveks86

Yeah, you could be right. I wish they'd show more night and rain, the nights usually look the best. I still would like this game to blow on the modding scene too. I hope it's not too protected due to the online features.

Hmmm… Are Ubi's games known for being open to modding? Not a PC gamer, so it's not a rhetorical question :)

AzerPhire

Getting mad at opinions because they conflict with yours is just as bad bud._

Not mad at all, I game on PC, PS4 and XB1. Just pointing out the irony.

If one were to say there is no difference between XB1 and PS4 you would get reamed out and called blind yet here "there is no difference"

Well of course the PC version of Watch Dogs will probably look better than the PS4 version of Infamous.

But nothing I've seen from PS4/console footage of Watch Dogs looks better than Infamous.

GTA has a much better looking lighting system then WD. I don't care about the method. The fact it looks worse is sad.

That people are actually convinced that this is true is sad.

Go back and play the game bud! GTA V was impressive for the consoles its on but not compared to this lighting-wise, technically speaking... oh and it runs sub 30fps to boot. Screengrabs of the game outside of camera mode can often be a little unflattering and it's easy to pick out the lower-resolution textures, some lod issues here and there, etc. It's a beautiful looking game all things considered but I don't think you could possibly back this opinion up with anything substantial and I challenge you to try. I mean yeah you could say it looks better but it's very stylized. This looks quite good for what it is IMO and technologically it's ahead of GTAV

Why are there extra sky scrappers in Chicago? It has plenty no need for fluff. You better be able to blow up that weird building with the over hang. That would never get built in Chicago.

I think the building with the overhang you're talking about is Watch_Dogs' version of the Ogilvie Station pedestrian bridge.

rsxM2dP.png

maneil99

That people are actually convinced that this is true is sad.

Go back and play the game bud! GTA V was impressive for the consoles its on but not compared to this lighting-wise, technically speaking... oh and it runs subnative at sub 30fps to boot

Good lord. You could not possibly back this opinion up with anything substantial and I challenge you to try. I mean yeah you could say it looks better but it's very stylized. This looks quite good for what it is IMO and technologically it's ahead of GTAV
Im literrally playing it right now..The lighting simply looks amazing. The mid day scenes in this game look dull and lifeless vs GTA
Thats an embarassment for a next gen game that many will compare to GTA

SaberEdge

I think people got too hyped and are now disappointed because the entire game isn't composed of rainy nights and big explosions.In my opinion it still looks like the 2012 reveal
on PC

i69xURCAsBO0w.gif

iDgsWWPmMXqVL.gif

ibgClQTh1oDoR3.gif

I agree with you. If you look at the actual graphical elements that comprise the visual presentation there is no evidence of those being downgraded. You have to rely on vague impressions to say it has been downgraded and it seems absurd to me that people are so quick to do so even though we don't have the ability right now to compare like for like scenes.

Still looks massively downgraded from the original target render / vertical slice demo shown at E3 2012. Hell, it even looks downgraded from what was shown as the PS4 version last E3 (2013).

But hey, it's got shadows!

Im literrally playing it right now..The lighting simply looks amazing

Also highly stylized in a game that cost more than any other ever made by a fairly sizable margin by the genre leader at the tail end of its generation

the lighting on display here is more detailed and advanced without question. Whether or not the art style is up to snuff is another question entirely.

The mid day scenes in this game look dull and lifeless vs GTA

You're telling me that a somewhat grounded representation of a dreary city has a more dulled color pallete than a stylized Rockstar take on Hollywood

you don't say

maybe it's intentional and you shouldn't be making the comparison so directly? like, maybe the games are going for different tones and the art style will work in the context of this game?

I don't know where you're pulling lifeless from because that's pure nonsense. I'm seeing as many if not more NPCs and vehicles, prime difference from GTA V being that half of them do not appear to be clones to save ram

Keep up the good fight!
What? I always said this game looked like shit. Ps4 or no ps4. The e3 2012 footage was pure bull

And I even said ryse is the best looking launch game on any system. I am not a ps fanboy

farisr

Nope. The character models in Infamous don't look better, rather about on par.
If you were talking about older Watch Dogs footage, sure. But as of the recent ones, Deslin > Aiden. The NPCs though, Watch Dogs has the upper hand.

The texture resolution and detail isn't better.
From what I've seen so far, inFAMOUS does have the better texture detail. They also have the look of materials down nearly perfectly, whereas Watch Dogs often ends up looking cartoony, and plain. Some textures that are supposed to convey a metal object end up looking like plastic.

The geometric detail in the city actually looks lower.
No. Just no. The detail in the individual buildings in inFAMOUS is much better than Watch Dogs. Especially recent footage. I think I've only seen a couple of buildings match the detail that inFAMOUS Second Son is pulling off for most of its buildings. The rest almost look like ps3/360 buildings with added/reflective glasses.

Foliage quality looks about on par.
Agree.

There seem to be more NPCs and vehicles in Watch Dogs and their behaviors are more varied.
Definitely for Watch Dogs here.

The water looks better in Watch Dogs. They both use screen space reflections for puddles and the like.
True.

Watch Dogs uses a global illumination lighting engine with dynamic time of day changes, whereas Infamous uses more baked lighting and has static lighting conditions with no day-night cycle.

Dynamic daynight does not automatically make it better. In fact, it actually works against Watch Dogs as the game looks significantly lower quality in a bright daytime setting. Whereas inFAMOUS looks beautiful in all lighting conditions that are in the game. It almost makes me think the WD team just went "eff that, who cares if the game doesn't look as good in bright daytime, let's work on the other parts of the game" whereas a lot of care and details went into each of the lighting settings in inFAMOUS Second Son making it look gorgeous.

Most local light sources in Infamous don't even cast shadows, while it seems more light sources cast shadows in Watch Dogs.
Let's comment on this when the game is out. So far, I don't recall having seen local lights cast shadows. Heck certain static lampposts etc don't even cast shadows during the daytime. This is one thing we definitely can't judge based off the videos yet. We didn't know about the other light sources not causing shadows in inFAMOUS until more demos were shown off.

LOD is more agressive in Infamous Second Son
. It would have to be due to the abrupt nature of movement. But I haven't noticed a pop-in yet in my 15 hours of play. Nor notice any higher level textures being streamed in when moving at fast speeds through the city.

Also, one thing I definitely think Watch Dogs can't match. The high speeds/particles/tons of crazy shit going on at the same time bonanza that comes with inFAMOUS games.

maneil99

Also highly stylized in a game that cost more than any other ever made by a fairly sizable margin by the genre leader at the tail end of its generation

the lighting on display here is more detailed and advanced without question. Whether or not the art style is up to snuff is another question entirely.

Because that entire budget went into lighting. If you want to compare like that find me the GTA V budget before marketing vs Watch Dogs. Also compare team sizes

GTA's lighting gives it a life like look, anyone who has visited LA can say so, as someone that has been to chicago, watch dog's lighting doesn't do that

lmfao at people comparing this game to infamous over shit like how good the water looks. Apples and oranges guys, I doubt this game will have half of the particle effects that second son is pulling off, not to mention the fact that for infamous the game has to look spotless top to bottom since you can literally go anywhere, meaning textures on tops of buildings and other stuff comes into play that you wouldn't otherwise think about.

All that aside though, this looks great. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional, at least based off this trailer. I'm sure it will be a gorgeous game when it launches, I just hope they bring all of this to the PS4.

From what I've seen so far, inFAMOUS does have the better texture detail. They also have the look of materials down nearly perfectly, whereas Watch Dogs often ends up looking cartoony, and plain. Some textures that are supposed to convey a metal object end up looking like plastic.

I'd say that inFamous goes for a far cartoonier look than Watch_Dogs and because of that the appearance of character models against the realistic backdrop looks a little more jarring. inFamous doesn't have the look of materials down 'perfectly', it's very stylized and as good as it often looks it's not super duper realistic looking at all times. Looks quite nice from rooftops

It's hard to tell which game has the edge on texture detail. More than likely inFamous but based on this video it's a crapshoot as far as I can tell

No. Just no. The detail in the individual buildings in inFAMOUS is much better than Watch Dogs. Especially recent footage. I think I've only seen only one building match the detail that inFAMOUS Second Son is pulling off for most of its buildings. The rest almost look like ps3/360 buildings with added/reflective glasses.

Buildings are very stylized as well in inFamous but for the vast majority the geometry or reflective techniques applied aren't, like, super intensive or anything, often covered up by two tone wallpapers and some nifty architecture here and there. It's still mostly boxes.

Dynamic daynight does not automatically make it better. In fact, it actually works against Watch Dogs as the game looks significantly lower quality in a bright daytime setting. Whereas inFAMOUS looks beautiful in all lighting conditions that are in the game.

I'm sure it would make a difference when you're trying to portray a city that's constantly living and moving. I don't think Watch_Dogs looks too bad during the daytime tbh. It's not like inFamous retains all of its amazing looks at the noontime the postgame defaults too - it's the worst lighting set for the game by a wide margin IMO.

Well of course the PC version of Watch Dogs will probably look better than the PS4 version of Infamous.

But nothing I've seen from PS4/console footage of Watch Dogs looks better than Infamous.

Only a huge open interactive world, Over 75 cars/boats you can drive, 100 hacks to interact with the city, thousands of npc animations, day night cycle, free roaming MP, a list of thousand other gameplay things but yea no difference than this game from ISS, and I love infamous as one of my favorite games ever.

I don't mean to be rude but I just can't fathom how anyone that has played the game can feel that way. It looks so much better than any of the footage of Watch Dogs currently. I guess opinions and all that but man I uhh. Yeah I don't get it.
agreed. Infamous looks better and it has destruction too

Looks nice.
watch_dogs_night_reflection_by_digi_matrix-d7coa9q.gif

Not really seeing why the PS4 couldn't handle this stuff. Seems like they just wanted to be lazy

Lazy devs amirite? lol what the hell.

If we are comparing Infamous SS to every game now (why?), Delsin's character model doesn't look all that detailed when you flip the camera around especially the face. At least compared to the fantastic cutscenes and Watch Dog's Aiden Pearce.

SaberEdge

Just admit you have never played Infamous.

Yes, I have. It's a well known fact that a majority of light sources in Infamous SS do not cast dynamic shadows.

I'm not saying that it isn't a very impressive looking game, I simply don't understand this attitude that nothing else can compare to it. I think Watch Dogs has its own strengths and looks very impressive as well.

I mean, this isn't such a shocking view to have. Were Infamous 1 or Infamous 2 unrivaled? No, I thought Infamous 1 was an ugly game and only played it for the gameplay. Other open world games like Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2 and Red Dead Redemption looked a lot better to me than either of the Infamous games. Especially the PC versions of Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2. Now people are trying to act like Infamous SS is unrivaled and will be for a long time. I simply don't agree. It's the very beginning of the generation and it simply had the benefit of being one of the first big budget "next gen" games.

Because that entire budget went into lighting. If you want to compare like that find me the GTA V budget before marketing vs Watch Dogs. Also compare team sizes

GTA's lighting gives it a life like look, anyone who has visited LA can say so, as someone that has been to chicago, watch dog's lighting doesn't do that

You ought to get some in game grabs instead of trailer footage, of cutscenes, for GTA V. I shouldn't have to explain to you how that comparison might be skewed, not in a damn watch dogs thread.

If you think that I meant to imply that GTA V's entire budget went into lighting then you're deliberately missing my point. Rockstar spends a lot of money shipping people out to different locations to document how places look and feel throughout the day and night and then spends a lot of money perfecting that look in game. They can simply afford to brute force amazing, lively visuals like no dev can.

I've lived in and visited several cities around America and Watch_Dogs with its lighting wouldn't look out of place as an off the cuff representation of several of them. GTA V has an awesome look but it's exaggerated and extra colorful and certainly not 'lifelike' as in attempting to be a picturesque somewhat exact representation of a real look, even if several of the locations look quite similar to real-life locations.

maneil99

Only a huge open interactive world, Over 75 cars/boats you can drive, 100 hacks to interact with the city, thousands of npc animations, day night cycle, free roaming MP, a list of thousand other gameplay things but yea no difference than this game from ISS, and I love infamous as one of my favorite games ever.

He said visually, none of those things aside from ToD change visually, AI interactions and animations, hacks, vehicles and animations aren't impressive considering its being done on the 360/PS3 versions.

sjay1994

Water Simulation - Comparison

Infamous: Second Son
jcdL5Zb1aVyU1.jpg

Watch_Dogs
j2brT1x3N7iVz.jpg

Meh. Even though I agree Watch Dogs has good water, I have to agree with Sucker Punch's reasoning for not focusing on water. Because most of the time, navigating in water is not fun, or fluff in city based open world games.

Asides from AC4 and LOZ:WW, I have never found a need to travel by water in most open world games. The only reason those 2 are a standout is simply because they focused on naval gameplay as a core, and most of the map is water.

sjay1994

They did that for story reasons

The time of day literally didn't impact the story. In fact most of the time, the time of day doesn't make sense in context.

Why raid a prison in the afternoon? Why are protesters protesting late at night?

It is set, and it has no real narrative context.

They did that for story reasons

they did it because the game uses some pre-baked lighting and therefore time could not change on the fly as a mechanical restriction...

What I'm most impressed by is the NPC animations. It really helps the immersion when the NPC's animate like real people. Most of the time you're not really looking at them directly anyways, but you get a sense of their motion even then and if their walk is too non-human and robotic it always sets off some sensor in my brain. They don't look amazing, but they really seem to animate well.

Yeah, that's one thing inFamous sure as hell doesn't have down

What I'm most impressed by is the NPC animations. It really helps the immersion when the NPC's animate like real people. Most of the time you're not really looking at them directly anyways, but you get a sense of their motion even then and if their walk is too non-human and robotic it always sets off some sensor in my brain. They don't look amazing, but they really seem to animate well.

Top Bottom