• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchDogs on PS4 is Confirmed 1080, X1 version not confirmed

TyrantII

No 360 game came close to offering walls as exquisitely detailed as these...

2dgeVhk.jpg

Why are those bricks covered in donut glaze?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nah, it was after Robo (I think) owned him something fierce. There was no coming back from it either, dude had no choice but to shut it all down...
It was El Torro owned him. He found a tweet of that guy's that was a few days old saying Second Son was more impressive than Ryse and that people should accept XBO is less powerful after he picked a fight with us on twitter saying the only possible reason for resolution differences was the marketing deal because Ryse blows away Second Son.

Tabular

Banned
watchdogsf3uwm.png

Screen-grab from a leaked comparison video.

There won't be a notice difference, especially at 900p.

If watch dogs Xbone gets another AC4 level of down porting... Ya that's a blatant difference. 900p plus worse AA plus less stable frame rate = noticeable to anyone who played both.

I know a lot about graphics, I played GTA V and Saint's Row 2 on PS3 and I remember them looking exactly like bullshots. With that said I finally found an XBONE screenshot. Now it's taken from a blurry video and I picked this image specifically because I don't like it but there's just enough visual information here for me to come to unflattering conclusions about literally every aspect of the visuals

wdeisx3.png

it's like, there's no anisotropic filtering, the lighting is flat, and just look at those npc character models, they're terrible. Fucking looks like infamous 1. And those textures? Don't even get me started. Delsin's beanie prolly got more polys than the whole city. plus what is that fxaa? Downgrade-a-downgrade truly confirmed

Doesn't look that bad. Hard to tell from a single screenshot.

Still, I expect a big performance gap between Xbone and PS4 versions.

If Xbone gets another AC4 level of down porting... Ya that's a blatant difference.

Well we don't know right now. All that seems to be rumoured is the game is running at 900p on XB1, which as far as I'm concerned is not a big deal. Especially if the framerate, AA and effects are the same across the board.

To be honest I sometimes think these comparisons are blown way out of proportion. Most XB1 ports are close to their PS4 counterparts. Only the super hardcore graphic guys are going to notice much of a difference.

I mean BF4 on my PS4 looks very sharp at 900p, even that Thief comparison gif looks pretty much the same to me.

fasTRapid

Banned
But is that real evidence? Can you say for sure that the reason Ryse looks a little soft compared to other games is because of it's native resolution?

Where's detective Gaf when you need him!

I did a little investigating myself and this is what I found. Here's what 900p vs 1080p looks like in the most recent example... Thief.

jTEXMfA.gif
That 'comparison' gif is a bad joke. You can't compare the effects the resolution has on overall IQ when you downsample both comparison screenshots.

Certain Nvidia tech was announced for the PS4 at GDC 2013
Of course it is up to the dev to add it and judge if it would be suitable to their overall vision for the platform

Likely these effects will only be on PC seeing as Ubi hasn't mentioned it for other devices
Word.

So there is no not having Nvidia tech on consoles.. I think i just kind of assumed there was some deal with Nvidia and devs to keep that stuff off consoles for going with AMD.
but we all know what assuming does

Tabular

Banned
Well we don't know right now. All that seems to be rumoured is the game is running at 900p on XB1, which as far as I'm concerned is not a big deal. Especially if the framerate, AA and effects are the same across the board.

To be honest I sometimes think these comparisons are blown way out of proportion. Most XB1 ports are close to their PS4 counterparts. Only the super hardcore graphic guys are going to notice much of a difference.

I mean BF4 on my PS4 looks very sharp at 900p, even that Thief comparison gif looks pretty much the same to me.

If it's only a difference of 180 lines ya. That's not too bad. But with ps4 having 2x the pixel performance 180 lines is usually only half the difference. Didn't thief have 3d ground surfaces (tesselation) on ps4 for example.

Mastperf

The Thief gif is 1203x675 in 256 colors so it really isn't the best way to compare.

That 'comparison' gif is a bad joke. You can't compare the effects the resolution has on overall IQ when you downsample both comparison screenshots.

It's almost as bad as comparing last generation screenshots and gifs at not-even-fucking-close-to-the-original-native-res against compressed screenies of modern games at a much higher resolution

welcome to Chicago

Poor X1. Yet another title to add to the fast-growing list...

At least, I assume. If X1 was 1080p too they would definitely shout about it.

smells like 900p

edit: why would devs really want to do parity unless paid by some party for it? devs should fully utilize all platforms to best of ability.

different gfx for ps4 and different interfaces for x1?

Agreed, PS4 version should have better graphics/effects to show the better hardware and X1 version should get Kinect integration because that will show off the features of Kinect and separates itself form PS4.

smells like 900p

edit: why would devs really want to do parity unless paid by some party for it? devs should fully utilize all platforms to best of ability.

That parity thing is nonsense. Where was parity between resident evil 1 on ps1 and saturn? Where was parity between bayonetta on ps3 and 360? Where was parity between mortal kombat on genesis and snes?
The list goes on and on. There won't be parity this generation either.

SJRB

Gold Member
I know a lot about graphics, I played GTA V and Saint's Row 2 on PS3 and I remember them looking exactly like bullshots. With that said I finally found an XBONE screenshot. Now it's taken from a blurry video and I picked this image specifically because I don't like it but there's just enough visual information here for my trained eyes to come to unflattering conclusions about literally every aspect of the visuals

wdeisx3.png

it's like, there's no anisotropic filtering, the lighting is flat, and just look at those npc character models, they're terrible. Fucking looks like infamous 1. And those textures? Don't even get me started. Delsin's beanie prolly got more polys than the whole city. plus what is that fxaa? Downgrade-a-downgrade truly confirmed

Very nice.

Biker19

Banned
I know a lot about graphics, I played GTA V and Saint's Row 2 on PS3 and I remember them looking exactly like bullshots. With that said I finally found an XBONE screenshot. Now it's taken from a blurry video and I picked this image specifically because I don't like it but there's just enough visual information here for my trained eyes to come to unflattering conclusions about literally every aspect of the visuals

wdeisx3.png

Now I see why Microsoft wanted Ubisoft to not show any Xbox One footage of the game. Looks terrible all around.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Now I see why Microsoft wanted Ubisoft to not show any Xbox One footage of the game. Looks terrible all around.

How do you even know it's Xbone footage? What gave it away? The horrible YouTube compression or the unique to Xbone 1183x609 resolution?

smh

I honestly don't notice a big difference between 900p and 1080p. 900p looks a bit "fuzzier" I guess (for lack of a better way for me to put it) but it's not a big deal at all to me.

720p vs. 900p (or 1080p for that matter) is a bigger difference to me. Battlefield 4 on the PS4 looks much better than the Xbox One version (which doesn't look terrible).

Overall, I think all of this is due to me playing 720p games for so long (almost a decade) since I'm not a PC gamer.
It's the fuzziness I was referring to actually. I didn't expect to notice much change from the patch, but after relaunching the game, everything was much crisper, especially the distant scenery. I thought that was a nice benefit, but ultimately not that big of a deal. However, as I played, I realized just how much eliminating the fuzziness increased playability.

Pre-patch, when infiltrating a restricted zone, I'd spend a good amount of time hiding in the shadows, waiting for guards to make their patrol routes, all so I could be certain of which way they were facing. It was just hard to be certain whether I was looking at their front or back, and if I was looking at them from the side, it was basically just guesswork.

Post-patch, all of those issues went away. Suddenly, I had no trouble determining which way the guards were facing, and I was able to waltz through restricted zones in what felt like half the time it took me previously. I was actually kind of amazed at how much easier it made the game to play. It goes way beyond prettiness and bragging rights; it literally made the game better.

Bgamer90

Banned
Ummm.. Did you even read his post? I know you're an avid Xbox defender, but he's talking about resolution, not looks (graphics).

It still improves as the generation increases.

Love how I'm an "xbox defender" even though what I said was true for pretty much every console. I owned a PS2. I played GT3 in 480p but played GT4 in 1080i.

You are very mature. Love how you have to always reply to anything I say with some form of a dig (whether it's to me or the XB1 in general).

TrueGrime

Was going to retort tactfully, but thank god for being able to go into post history and being able to make the decision to not even bother.

It still improves as the generation increases.

Love how I'm an "xbox defender" even though what I said was true for pretty much every console. I owned a PS2. I played GT3 in 480p but played GT4 in 1080i.

yah no it like upscaled 480p to 1080i. It looked awful.

Bgamer90

Banned
yah no it like upscaled 480p to 1080i. It looked awful.

I thought it looked much better. If that's the case then my mistake (was 10 years ago).

There were more games that supported 480p on the PS2 as the gen moved along though. The later entries in the Ratchet and Clank series comes to my mind.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But is that real evidence? Can you say for sure that the reason Ryse looks a little soft compared to other games is because of it's native resolution?

Where's detective Gaf when you need him!

I did a little investigating myself and this is what I found. Here's what 900p vs 1080p looks like in the most recent example... Thief.

jTEXMfA.gif

This is what Ryse looks like without sub-surface scattering, a next gen effect that makes skin look diffuse and real. May look sharper as a tack and you could even see the dimples on the skin:

RyseSubsurfaceNo-670x376.png

Here's the same model, but with SSSS applied. Notice how it makes it look overall softer. You don't see all the dimples, however this is how real skin is supposed to look.

Could this be the softness that you're complaining about? if so, this has nothing to do with the 900p resolution:

RyseSubsurfaceYes-670x376.png
LOL guys did you see? LittleJohnny re-registered but he called himself PLAYSTATIONBOY so I wouldn't detect his SHITTY POSTING with neogaf's SONY BIAS

jesus christ.

Tomb Raider doesn't support your claim.

Why does Xbone get this pass? The two consoles launched a week apart.

No. It's only near-locked 30fps on PS4.

Um...it doesn't? You shouldn't judge any consoles performance using launch games. Not just the XB1.

Let me give you a perfectly good example. COD Ghosts is 720p on Xbox One. Now anyone who thinks that's representative of the consoles power is just believing what they want to believe. Not only did BF4 run at the same res with dramatically better textures but Ghosts is a mesa technically on other platforms. On PC Ghosts is garbage (or at least it was at release). I mean we know the XB1s tools were terrible at release they were clearly caught with their pants down by Sony. Now they're getting better and you can see that with many games. Like Watch Dogs if the 960p rumor is true.

thelastword

Banned
IIRC early 360 games had to have mandatory AA and had to run at native 720p, something that was relaxed as it went on.

Well something must have gone awry because quite a few early 360 games did not meet that standard. PGR3 was sub and pretty jaggy and so was Halo 3, also, both coming from Ms studios.

Top Bottom