• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WatchDogs on PS4 is Confirmed 1080, X1 version not confirmed

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow, I don't think I have ever game on a 945p resolution before.
I understand 480, 720, 1080...even the weird 900p is okay because of Ryse/BF4, but wtf is 945?
Console gaming is weird sometime, do they just put random resolution in for the X1?
So, this is like picking that weird 800x600 by default because your graphic card crashed on you right?

Cynn

Nope, it's not. You may get that impression from looking at static screens, but the game itself isn't blurry at all. It's an incredible looking game, one of the best I've ever seen, PC included. The notion that it's blurry I think largely comes from people that haven't actually played it.

I've played the game to completion. It does indeed look good but it also has a very soft iq. This is magnified if you are a dual console owner and flip to and from 1080p native PS4 games.

geordiemp

Oh joy, more fucking resolution/fps news...

Is it going to be like this for the entire 8th gen?

yes, yes it is, especially in threads that give you a clue....

What is that clue, well words like performance, FPS or Image Quality in the title. Its not too hard to work out.

If your moaning about a thread that does not interest you, don't post or read it.

If your moaning because you are upset that maybe your chosen console is at the wrong end of the criticism, either defend logically or take it like a man. Salty does not work.

I took it for 2 years as an early Ps3 owner, EG DF was a painful read. Eventually I bought 360 for multiplat games.

This new gen no way was I going to go through that again.

Normal maps were heavily utilized in the beginning of 360 gen though with settings to make every single surface shine like it was wet.

Weren't those actually specular maps (I'm thinking gears of war...)? A normal map by itself doesn't make something shiny

aaronobst

Neo Member
If your moaning because you are upset that maybe your chosen console is at the wrong end of the criticism, either defend logically or take it like a man. Salty does not work

Not at all, I intend to pick up the PC version. I remember the news regarding the PS3/360 gap early last gen was there somewhat but it sure has blown right up now, and the consoles are only just out.

stryke

Not at all, I intend to pick up the PC version. I remember the news regarding the PS3/360 gap early last gen was there somewhat but it sure has blown right up now, and the consoles are only just out.

We've had tech comparison threads for years, particularly deriving from digital foundry articles. It's blown up now BECAUSE the consoles are only just out. People want to know what they're getting from these consoles and how well developers are coping with them and there's nothing wrong with that. They're particularly informative if you're a multiplatform owner.

It would still be substantially less blurry than a 720p game upscaled to 1080, which was the majority of games last generation (with a depressing nubmer even lower than that). I'm not sure I ever looked at Uncharted 2 and thought "woah this game is blurry". And I'm saying this as a PC gamer prmiarily. I agree 900p is sub-optimal in IQ terms, but there is certainly room for subjective interpretation here.

From my understanding it was the AA solution that introduces the haze/blur it's a side effect of the method that they used. That + 900p = a decent amount of blur. Also I really hate when people try to discredit you by saying you must not have seen it :/

Then why did you say to me on what you said? I don't get away with everything.

I said what I said as I was laughing at how over the top you get in your posts. We all know the better performance will be on Sonys machine and that's why I will be getting Watch Dogs for Playstation 4.

FeiRR

Banned
Yeah, that's my point! You don't think any of the studios at MS wanted to do more but eventually figured out that they couldn't? I don't think the Forza reveal was strictly 'smoke and mirrors'. I think the E3 footage was indicative of what they thought they could hit at one point. Tools, hardware not being what they wanted, or a serious time crunch...whatever. I still wonder if devs thought they would have had more to play with.

I think hardware specs had been established quite before E3.

Rainy Dog

I understand 480, 720, 1080...even the weird 900p is okay because of Ryse/BF4, but wtf is 945?
Console gaming is weird sometime, do they just put random resolution in for the X1?
So, this is like picking that weird 800x600 by default because your graphic card crashed on you right?

Where did 945p come from? Resolutions can't be odd numbers.

Very likely won't be 960p either as that translates to 1707x960.

Examples of games with big leaps in graphical power while raising the rendering resolution? (note that it's a comparison, so both the 360/PS3 versions need to be taken into direct comparison).

Because remember, the initial comparison was resolution increase relative to the competitor console (which is stronger).

That is off-topic since the initial comparison was Xbox One relative to PS4 version.

I am not talking about graphics, I'm talking about relative resolutions.

I'm not moving any goal posts, your aim was just way off from the start.

Where am I talking about graphics?

How am I moving goal posts when I'm asking YOU and not Bgamer to provide proof of YOUR claim? You say it's the same for resolution but then you go on to say I'm moving goalposts instead of providing proof?

Dang, Taku...Tsundere (
2Fpt5jo.gif
) ...impressive gymnastics. You're ready for the world stage...

Kssio_Aug

I guess It's kind of the same situation as Ground Zeroes? The last gen version is holding up the current gen version. :/

Yeah, youre probably right! I hope most if the 3rd parties games from now on releases to current gen only though.

Damn. T-T
1st Watch_Dogs footage seemed great. I hope at least that the game is fun to play and reach the expectations on that.

Biker19

Banned
The joke was by XtraLarge, not by the person I was responding too.

Unless I'm falling for the long con where being banned for fanboyish behavior and acting this way for as long as the account exists is the joke.

Not a con, dude, as I've received a two week ban before.

You don't know me at all.

Crisium

Console developers choose the graphical effects they want first, framerate second, and resolution last. It's weird as PC gamers we choose resolution first and foremost (always get that native res) and then usually a balance of FPS and effects. At least me, as I can be satisfied with less than 60fps in many games. Some PC gamers hold framerate far more important than effects. But native resolution is always priority - as it should be.

Hyb

Banned
And yet interested enough to post in a thread specifically about the resolution of WatchDogs.

I'm interested in both and as a person who owns both consoles I want to be informed and get the best version possible.

Was no attack on the thread. I am curious also but it all goes away when the gameplay mechanics are no fun. So i wait for that first before i look at resolution etc.

Ubisoft games are always fun, you now that. It's a given.
Assassin's Creed games aren't fun, silly?

but the graphics are fun to look at... ohhhhhh so pretty... brb banking $190 for this year's sequels. This, on the other hand, I'll wait until it's $3.50 used at Gamestop

kinggroin

Banned
Guys stop caring about the gfx in this thread please let's just play the games already omg!!! Get over it!

Here's to hoping a good form of AA is applied to the bone version. Greater than 900p resolution isn't bad at all.

Kssio_Aug

Ubisoft games are always fun, you now that. It's a given.

Well... not exactly.

AC III was trash, ACIV was good but still with many flaws that need to be fixed at next games or not done at all. I wont buy another AC game anymore if they dont change that gameplay for better, stop with those eavesdropping stupid missions, and find a way to bring the whole story back to the rails.

About Watch_Dogs its good news for me to know that at PS4 it will be 1080p. But my hype for the game is not that high anymore, after I saw that impressive downgrade from the 1st footage. I hope the game is fun aswell, and becomes a lot more concrete then what AC has become.

Top Bottom