• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Dunkirk? Bring earplgus, shit was LOUD

Kambing

If you've never had issues before then it will be nothing but awesome.

The sound made the air on the back of my neck stand up. My mouth was wide open for half the movie because of how incredible the audio and visuals were.

I get it, some people have issues with loud noises. But let's not get a false narrative going. The sound design in the movie is absolutely incredible. It will win Oscars for it.

Well that was exactly me though, never had issues with sound or loudness prior. Hell I've watched all Nolan movies in the same theater, same seat L16 and L17 (best seat in SF IMAX) so my expectations are somewhat standardized? The sound design is awesome, just not the volume this time. Like i said who knows, maybe a sound setting was incorrect? But this was on a different level for loudness relative to all other films I've watched, and the same goes for the wife.

Saw it earlier today. Loud is an understatement. The gunshots in the opening scene scared the fuck out of me. The planes sounded amazing though, the bass rattled the seats.

Z O N E

Has there ever been a filmmaker who gets so much crap for his audio mixing?

I thought Dunkirk's noise level was instrumental in the immersion. Yes it was loud. War wasn't quiet. I felt like it gave the film an authenticity I have never experienced before.

YMMV I guess

Getting hearing damage due to war is one thing, but you should not have to experience ear damage watching a movie.

As someone who has ear damage/slight hearing loss along with my entire family due to the war, I would not want anyone to experience this just for "immersion".

Thank you for the warning OP.

Well that was exactly me though, never had issues with sound or loudness prior. Hell I've watched all Nolan movies in the same theater, same seat L16 and L17 (best seat in SF IMAX) so my expectations are somewhat standardized? The sound design is awesome, just not the volume this time. Like i said who knows, maybe a sound setting was incorrect? But this was on a different level for loudness relative to all other films I've watched, and the same goes for the wife.
Hmm. I mean I can't say I'm shocked that some might think it was too loud, but I never once had an urge to cover my ears or anything.

It was loud in a way that after the first 10 minutes me and my friends looked at eachother with shot eating grins on our faces because it was so cool and we knew we were in for a treat.

I wouldn't assume that your theater had issues, although it's not impossible, because it IS super loud. but it does surprise me that you've never had issues before and you and your wife both had trouble with this one.

I guess this is a YMMV situation.

Saw it in an IMAX theater and it was on the verge of being uncomfortable. Enjoyed the hell out of the movie though.
There's a moment when they are in the plane and they think they got everyone and then one of them takes some fire and the sound made me jump out of my seat.

I saw it last night at the Arc Light Hollywood in 70mm in the Dome, it was loud but nowhere near as loud as Pacific Rim was when I saw that in theaters.

I have sensitive hearing, so that sucks.
My local cinema already sometimes plays audio too loud. Last time I went I saw Spiderman Homecoming. Some scenes were really uncomfortable more than fun to watch.
Damn it's one movie I really wanted to see.

Kettch

Thanks for the warning. Last movie I went to see was Wonder Woman at some kind of imax, and while the movie's sound was fine, some of the previews were incredibly loud and giving me mild panic attacks. I'm not gonna take chances moving forward and bring some protection.

Nolan didn't want you to watch Dunkirk. He wanted to make it feel like you were at Dunkirk. So when the guns are loud and the planes are loud and the bombs are loud, guess what? War is fucking loud.

Raziel

oh god no, please tell me its not like interstellar where there is a dead silent scene and for some odd reason the subwoofer is blasting like crazy due to a low hz signal being sent through

That's exactly what it's like except taken to a new level. As a Michael Mann fan, the volume is great - nice and loud - but it's not just the volume. The seats were friggin pulsating when there was not much even going on, enough that people coming out of my showing complained about too much bass (and about the dialogue /sound mix). IMAX btw.

TACPhilly

Banned
i have a friend who lost hearing in his left ear on a ch47 simply because he forgot his ear pro. another buddy of mine was forced to use expended casings because his ear pro fell out during a fire fight. war is fucking loudddddd and so i really hate when im watching a movie and its very toned down. like even when they show people on a military aircraft having a normal converdation like you can actually hear eachother without yelling. or when hmmwv's pull up and they sound like jeeps. obviously it needs to be balanced and only when necessary.but i like the idea that im gonna see a war movie thats loud af

Kambing

Suffice to say the major cause of discomfort came from frequencies below 80hz in my theater, the first gun shot was loud but felt appropriate.

DuffDry

Has there ever been a filmmaker who gets so much crap for his audio mixing?

I thought Dunkirk's noise level was instrumental in the immersion. Yes it was loud. War wasn't quiet. I felt like it gave the film an authenticity I have never experienced before.

YMMV I guess

I can't yet speak for Dunkirk but there were multiple segments in both The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar where I could in no way follow what characters were saying.

He gets crap because it's, ya know, warranted.

This sounds like hell for people with service-related PTSD.

I'll bring earplugs.

TBH I wouldn't recommend seeing it if you have Service Related PTSD.

It was rough at times even for someone who doesn't have it.

The audio mixing fucking scared me at times with bullets and such.

I went with my parents to see it and my mother definitely was using earplugs. It's definitely loud when there is gunfire or bombs dropping, which to be fair is a lot of the movie.

I guess think of the same loudness of that scene in The Dark Knight when Bruce is testing the ballistics, shooting into the samples. I remember that being really loud in theater when I saw that. Now imagine that level of loud for prolonged stretches of gunfire/explosions.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It did feel loud at the start (saw it at the Providence, RI IMAX) but I quickly got used to it.

Isn't it the most GAF thing ever lol

Because LOL @ hearing loss am I right? Don't be a tool, little breh. That shit ain't a game. You won't be all about "immersion" and "war is loud, guys" when you have relentless buzz in your ears. Read a book - buzzzzz. Watch your favorite show - buzzzzzz. Try to sleep - buzzzzzz. Actually you know what, I know guys with hearing loss from service. Maybe it's that loud so you can enjoy the "immersion" long after the movie is over!

its a Nolan film? of course its way too loud.. of course.

Inception was especially laughable, it had scenes where barely anything was happening and the overly dramatic silly music was blasting like no tomorrow. so tacky. if you have to crank up the volume to max in your movie to make an impression, you're doing it wrong. no one else has ever had to do that, neither should Nolan.

i have permanent tinnitus so loud noises piss me off real good.

The Argus

It was loud, but it's not 2 hours of 110dB straight like a concert. I swear I lost a little of my hearing when I saw Ween this summer at Brooklyn Steel. Loudest concert I've ever been to. I'm investing in plugs now.

Hypron

I really want to see the movie but my right ear has tinnitus and starts hurting if I listen to too high of a volume... That's annoying.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
People trying to downplay this are being ridiculous. I go to tons of movies, and have no problem with loud movies, and Dunkirk is obnoxiously loud for no good reason. Yes, geniuses, I understand that "war is loud," but doing this doesn't enhance immersion, it reminds me I'm watching a really loud movie in a theater and it's taking my hearing to the threshold of pain, which is the opposite of immersion. Anything that reminds me I'm watching a movie is breaking immersion, not enhancing it.

The only other time in my life I've felt a desire to cover my ears in a theater due to volume levels was the final shot of Interstellar. Nolan needs to rein this loudness war he's having with himself in already.

iMax

People trying to downplay this are being ridiculous. I go to tons of movies, and have no problem with loud movies, and Dunkirk is obnoxiously loud for no good reason. Yes, geniuses, I understand that "war is loud," but doing this doesn't enhance immersion, it reminds me I'm watching a really loud movie in a theater and it's taking my hearing to the threshold of pain, which is the opposite of immersion. Anything that reminds me I'm watching a movie is breaking immersion, not enhancing it.

The only other time in my life I've felt a desire to cover my ears in a theater due to volume levels was the final shot of Interstellar. Nolan needs to rein this loudness war he's having with himself in already.

An additional point on the "war is loud" posts... if you're going into this movie looking for two hours of glorification of war; to 'understand' it or 'feel like you're there', that's utterly tasteless.

Honestly Volume from the Theatre Speakers being loud enough to cause injury seems more like a problem of the Cinema rather than the movie.

Asking Staff to turn the movie down.

Is that a real suggestion?

tenor.gif

Honestly Volume from the Theatre Speakers being loud enough to cause injury seems more like a problem of the Cinema rather than the movie.

One of my coworkers had to go to WB studios to see the film and give feedback on the French dub. She said it was so loud that the WB people there were wearing earplugs. I assumed it was louder than usual so she could pay close attention to the dub, but it now looks like it could be intentional.

RCSI

I bring ear muffs (don't like wearing earplugs) to any movie theater or concert. When watching Dunkirk in Imax, I honestly wished I had better ear muffs just for Imax versus what I currently sport.

Yo thanks for the heads up. My ears are already fucked from going to so many concerts when I was younger. I've now learned to wear earplugs as I've gotten older😖

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Those two films are nothing alike. Dunkirk is a war movie. WTF is even happening

I don't know, man. One of my eyes already started twitching in another thread when someone said there were no violent war movies before Saving Private Ryan.

Cuburt

This is a warning that shouldn't be controversial and it's better people know that the sound may noy only be at levels beyond what they are comfortable with, but that some may experience as unpleasant or even painful.

Top Bottom