• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO [update: pilot ordered]

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess i'll say this: Im interested in seeing how Lindelof handles almost everyone knowing where this goes and how it ends, and how he works when he's not tricking you into having viewers by the balls with "OMG WTF I NEED EM ANSWERS THIS SO LEFT FIELD"

that's gonna be interesting

That's like opening Pandora's Box, you don't want to see how he tries that with Watchmen.

Alan Moore gonna start using dark magic on y'all soon.

Maybe he already tried and fucked up and this is the result.

Dynomutt

The story was superdated when they did the movie. A tv show would be stretching harder then Reed Richards

I thought Reed could not stretch really. I was under the impression he was warping space around him. Or was that only in that terrible movie that wanted to throw away 40 years of established super abilities?

Solo

The Leftovers was my favorite show of the past 5 years. So I am absolutely back on board with whatever Lindelof does next.

Day one. Find a way, any way, to get Theroux, Coon and Dowd in this.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuck it. I'm in.

I'm in the middle of watching the Leftovers and he's already redeemed himself from Prometheus (which he probably shouldn't shoulder all the blame for anyways)

Did he also work on Alien Covenant? Because Promoetheus was a better movie than Covenant so maybe it was just Ridley Scott who was at fault here?
Ultimately, he's the director so yes, he's at fault. But when it comes down to it, no one is criticizing the films for their cinematography, but rather the script (which he doesn't actually write).
If you read the original Spaihts script and then watch the movie, it's easy to see where things started to go wrong (hint: it's when Lindelof made rewrites). That isn't to say the original script is perfect, but still.

Joyful

Damon Lindelof

shEHXii.gif

The Leftovers was my favorite show of the past 5 years. So I am absolutely back on board with whatever Lindelof does next.

Yep. After Leftovers, he's got a blank check from me.

The angst this will cause will be pretty funny too.

even though the film wasn't all that great, having the comic already translated to live action sort of takes some of the luster off of this for me.

i kinda wish they'd do a Kingdom Come HBO miniseries instead. With Keaton as Bruce Wayne while they're at it.

Alienfan

People seem to be ignoring Lindelof's most recent work, the critically acclaimed HBO show, The Leftovers. And instead focusing on a few shit Hollywood scripts he made few years back.

Kadayi

Banned
The first season, yeah. It was some of the most boring television I've ever seen.

Boring? Please. It's one of the most original dramas that's been on TV in the last decade. Boring would imply it wasn't doing anything different than any other show, and that just isn't the case. The only thing as out there as The Leftovers is Twin Peaks: The return.

His rewrites also were also the primary reason Prometheus turned out to be laughably bad.

Nah. The original script was fucking terrible. All the daft plot points were already in there from what I can recall. Saying otherwise is some disingenuous BS. It's not entirely clear at what stage Lindelof entered the production but knowing how Scott effectively storyboards his films beforehand, I get the impression he just massaged some of the text. I think the religious aspects of Shaw was probably something he added.

Anyway. I'm on board. I think Watchmen is definitely something better suited for TV than film. I didn't hate the film, I thought Snyder did a reasonable job adapting it, but it just wasn't possible within the frame of a couple of hours to tell the complete story. A TV series offers a much richer format for the sort of involved character driven storytelling something like Watchmen requires.

Chumley

Banned
I really don't think Coon is gong to sign up for a multi year series again unless it's the lead role and something close to a Nora-tier dramatic challenge, and Watchmen is basically an ensemble.

If this announcement had hit any other time but five minutes after the Lord & Miller departure had hit, it'd probably be way bigger news.

5taquitos

What people rarely mention when talking about Lindelof's TV work is the amazing soundtracks. Lost and The Leftovers both had GOAT musical direction, and thinking about that in regards to Watchmen is getting me giddy.

What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

More people apparently need to watch The Leftovers because after that I will follow Lindelof to the ends of the Earth.

Ross61

What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

More people apparently need to watch The Leftovers because after that I will follow Lindelof to the ends of the Earth.

Boring? Please. It's one of the most original dramas that's been on TV in the last decade. Boring would imply it wasn't doing anything different than any other show, and that just isn't the case. The only thing as out there as The Leftovers is Twin Peaks: The return.

Nah. The original script was fucking terrible. All the daft plot points were already in there from what I can recall. It's not entirely clear at what stage Lindelof entered the production but knowing how Scott effectively storyboards his films beforehand, I get the impression he just massaged some of the text. I think the religious aspects of Shaw was probably something he added.

I'm down like a clown Charlie Brown. The comic always made more sense as a Show than a movie. And Lindelof is the man.

Lindelof is the tv god. Anything he wants to do I'm there.

People seem to be ignoring Lindelof's most recent work, the critically acclaimed HBO show, The Leftovers. And instead focusing on a few shit Hollywood scripts he made few years back.

Fuck it. I'm in.

I'm in the middle of watching the Leftovers and he's already redeemed himself from Prometheus (which he probably shouldn't shoulder all the blame for anyways)

These guys know. Get hip.

Top Bottom