• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: "The Success of 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe' Underscores How Badly Wii U Flopped"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's anecdotal, but it sure seems that a lot of people are reacting to the Switch as if Nintendo hasn't released a console since 2006. The Wii U was so invisible and confusing, I really think much of the mainstream did not know Nintendo ever followed up the Wii.

The 3DS became Nintendo's primary device for most people. There's instant interest in the Switch simply because, in the perception of the average person, Nintendo is back after more than a decade absence.

ramparter

Banned
I honestly think calling it Wii 2 would have given it at least 2-3 million more sales. Maybe even more than that.

It's crazy how badly they marketed and presented the Wii U.
For once I dont disagree. Usually people make it sound as if the name alone would make it a successful console.

joedick

I feel like the marketing angle gets overplayed. It was a factor, sure. But bottomline, the Wii U just wasn't the system people wanted at that moment in time.

This is why they need to put all their first party Wii U titles on Switch.
DKC TF and Pikmin 3 will actually sell
People will actually play Bayo 2 and W101
TMS: #FE will get a bit more exposure.

I imagine Smash is happening so no need to worry about that

I'd buy TMS FE again if it had new content and an english dub this time.

Neiteio

I always buy Nintendos at launch. The thrill of a new Nintendo machine enamors me like no other. They're miracle machines brimming with promise and opportunity. But it's always a risk - it's a gamble every time. You never know what exactly you'll get out of your time with the console or how long you'll stick with it. Even though I am always an early-adopter, it's not uncommon for me to check out mid-generation.

I had a Wii U. I tried very hard to get the most out of it. After all, who could deny those games? Almost every franchise that got an entry on the Wii U saw the best game in its series on the console. But my ability to enjoy these games was heavily, dramatically, and undeniably compromised by the quality of the device itself. I hated my Wii U. I hated the UI, I hated the technology, I hated the GamePad, I hated how light the Pro Controller felt, I hated how poorly the Virtual Console was curated, I hated so much about it. And I buried this distress and I denied how much I disliked the machine because I wanted to believe good games could be played on anything.

But this was a lie I told myself.

The truth is, the system is not just a means to an end. It is not invisible or trivial. The console is a stage. It's a picture frame. It's a dinner platter. It has a great deal to do with how games are presented and how they feel to play. Just like you wouldn't serve a filet mignon on a styrofoam plate or frame a Picasso in plastic, a game like Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros 4 should never have been confined to a system as paltry as the Wii U.

I feel similarly, perhaps even more severely, about the 3DS. But that's a different topic.

I played MK8 on the Wii U for plenty of time, but I never bought any DLC or even completed the base content. There was something about the Wii U that made the game feel small. Constrained. Like red wine in a paper cup. As I became more and more disillusioned with this sorry chapter of Nintendo hardware, even Nintendo's strongest output failed to enchant me.

I skipped everything. I watched good games go by. I sat out of historic launches. I missed everything and that's my loss. But I would not, in any realistic circumstance, subjugate myself to the Wii U to enjoy them. They are a lost catalog. They are Nintendo's burned library of Alexandria. If anything can be salvaged from the Wii U and 3DS library for future generations to benefit from, they will need to be transcribed into a new and preservable format.

The long story short here is that I'm playing Mario Kart 8 on my Switch and it's an incredible experience. I am overjoyed every time I begin a race. The system is snappy and responsive and bright and crisp and this glorious game finally has the stage it deserves. It's a Hell of a show.

It's the reason that Zelda Switch, despite being a nearly identical experience to the Wii U, is a "Switch game" and always will be. Playing Breath of the Wild on Switch feels like something new and exciting. Playing Breath of the Wild on Wii U, which I have given a shot, sucks. I hate it. I hate the Wii U. No game, even a game I put 200 hours into, can shine on the Wii U.

If there are more people like me - insane and scrutinous - it makes sense MK8D has such unexpected fervor. It is free now. Be free, summer child, and leave your prison behind.

Really makes you think.
I'm on mobile atm and hate henpecking, but I have to say this is one of the best posts I've read on GAF. Wonderful writing. And while I don't think my feelings toward the WiiU hardware were as severe as yours, I can still relate with what you're saying. Switch is such a massive improvement in terms of the overall experience. Really makes the games sing.

Machina

Banned
I think rattling on about how much of a clusterfuck the Wii U was is a bit of a tired concept by now. Everyone knows, can we move on?

oti

Banned
I'll never understand. To me a console is nothing more than its games, and I can't logically put together that the Switch would succeed with the exact same games the Wii U failed with.

I guess more than anything it says people don't want home consoles from Nintendo.

Have you never upgraded from a crappy tablet/phone to a way better tablet/phone and used some Apps?

Just the Switch screen and instant launch alone makes MK8 on Switch infinitely better than on Wii U.

Spinifex

If there are more people like me - insane and scrutinous - it makes sense MK8D has such unexpected fervor. It is free now. Be free, summer child, and leave your prison behind.

This is me, except I gave up Nintendo as of the 3DS / Wii U. They are abysmally designed systems that lack the polish, refinement and technical capacity that I expect of tech devices in a post-iPhone world.

Instro

I'm not sure how meaningful it is to compare the Switch and WiiU. The Switch occupies their handheld market, which they are still pretty successful in. It's like comparing the success of the 3DS to the failure of the WiiU.

Karish

It's anecdotal, but it sure seems that a lot of people are reacting to the Switch as if Nintendo hasn't released a console since 2006. The Wii U was so invisible and confusing, I really think much of the mainstream did not know Nintendo ever followed up the Wii.

The 3DS became Nintendo's primary device for most people. There's instant interest in the Switch simply because, in the perception of the average person, Nintendo is back after more than a decade absence.

There's something to this

Karish

I always buy Nintendos at launch. The thrill of a new Nintendo machine enamors me like no other. They're miracle machines brimming with promise and opportunity. But it's always a risk - it's a gamble every time. You never know what exactly you'll get out of your time with the console or how long you'll stick with it. Even though I am always an early-adopter, it's not uncommon for me to check out mid-generation.

I had a Wii U. I tried very hard to get the most out of it. After all, who could deny those games? Almost every franchise that got an entry on the Wii U saw the best game in its series on the console. But my ability to enjoy these games was heavily, dramatically, and undeniably compromised by the quality of the device itself. I hated my Wii U. I hated the UI, I hated the technology, I hated the GamePad, I hated how light the Pro Controller felt, I hated how poorly the Virtual Console was curated, I hated so much about it. And I buried this distress and I denied how much I disliked the machine because I wanted to believe good games could be played on anything.

The truth is, the system is not just a means to an end. It is not invisible or trivial. The console is a stage. It's a picture frame. It's a dinner platter. It has a great deal to do with how games are presented and how they feel to play. Just like you wouldn't serve a filet mignon on a styrofoam plate or frame a Picasso in plastic, a game like Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros 4 should never have been confined to a system as paltry as the Wii U.

I feel similarly, perhaps even more severely, about the 3DS. But that's a different topic.

I played MK8 on the Wii U for plenty of time, but I never bought any DLC or even completed the base content. There was something about the Wii U that made the game feel small. Constrained. Like red wine in a paper cup. As I became more and more disillusioned with this sorry chapter of Nintendo hardware, even Nintendo's strongest output failed to enchant me.

I skipped everything. I watched good games go by. I sat out of historic launches. I missed everything and that's my loss. But I would not, in any realistic circumstance, subjugate myself to the Wii U to enjoy them. They are a lost catalog. They are Nintendo's burned library of Alexandria. If anything can be salvaged from the Wii U and 3DS library for future generations to benefit from, they will need to be transcribed into a new and preservable format.

The long story short here is that I'm playing Mario Kart 8 on my Switch and it's an incredible experience. I am overjoyed every time I begin a race. The system is snappy and responsive and bright and crisp and this glorious game finally has the stage it deserves. It's a Hell of a show.

It's the reason that Zelda Switch, despite being a nearly identical experience to the Wii U, is a "Switch game" and always will be. Playing Breath of the Wild on Switch feels like something new and exciting. Playing Breath of the Wild on Wii U, which I have given a shot, sucks. I hate it. I hate the Wii U. No game, even a game I put 200 hours into, can shine on the Wii U.

Really makes you think.

tenor.gif

On top of the name I think a factor was also that the system basically looked exactly like a Wii.

The only difference was the controller. If you didnt follow gaming you would probably just assume the WiiU was just a special controller for the Wii.

hedimgwiivswiiu620pxwmed.jpg

Gahaha marketing wise, the Wii U name could easily be seen as Wii+ or Wiii, in which most people would just think it's an upgrade and not consider going for it if they already have a Wii.

And it doesn't even sound like a significant upgrade; meanwhile it's easier to tell PS1 -> PS2 or NES to Super NES is one because it makes sense. Bad marketing on top of it just doomed it.

Which is such a damn shame. The original name "Wii" just flipped everyone's opinion around and was the best marketing ever.

antonz

I'll never understand. To me a console is nothing more than its games, and I can't logically put together that the Switch would succeed with the exact same games the Wii U failed with.

I guess more than anything it says people don't want home consoles from Nintendo.

Perception is so important. The concept of the Wii U was ahead of the technological curve which led to a Fisher Price Tablet tethered to a console. Nintendo looked at the idea of putting the Wii U fully into the gamepad but it just wasn't there yet tech wise.

The Wii U was cheap looking and didn't really bring anything to the table in a satisfactory way. The Gamepad had crap range which greatly reduced its portability within the house and of course could not even think of leaving the house.
Switch finally delivers on what Nintendo wanted with the Switch and it is a nicely designed piece of tech.

Jacobson

While they cut its life short, it is still the system this gen that has gotten the most hours of play out of me. While I don't want Nintendo re-releasing *everything* from the Wii U on Switch, I do hope they bring the heavy-hitters over to expose an entirely new group of people to all the excellent titles on that console. A new, souped-up version of Mario Maker seems like the next logical update to me after the misstep on 3DS.

man, i just want smt x fe

Chittagong

Gold Member

Really makes you think.

Wow, that really articulates my relationship with the Wii U compared to Switch.

I really hated that clunky faux tablet with a pale resistive touch screen to the point I missed out on games like Splatoon. I even had a Pro Controller, but the overall Wii U interface with that stupid Mii Plaza popping up felt too shit to even boot a game.

I love my Switch to bits, and am overjoyed to get to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and everything else I missed out on. Playing with the Switch is just wonderful, a beautiful, solidly built machine with a snappy, no-nonsense UI. It indeed makes a difference.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It helps explain how a souped up (but still excellent) port of Mario Kart 8 broke a franchise record last week, selling 459,000 copies in a single day. That's more than Mario Kart Wii's debut, 459,000 copies.

459,000 is not bigger than 459,000...

Article discredited.

ok, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 on Switch, when?

W101 I'm not sure, it was quite tied to the gamepad.

On the other hand, I really hope they release Bayo 2. It deserves a second chance and the incentive to play it on the go is huge (at least for me). And it could really be 60fps this time.
Do it.

EVO

Fingers crossed Donkey Kong and Mario 3D World get the same treatment. I really want to play those games, but I really, really don't want to have to buy a Wii U.

Falchion

Yeah, this is the first time plenty of people can play this game on a system they own, and the people that did have it now have lots of people to play with.

tkscz

Makes me wonder though, why did the GameCube flop as hard as it did? That first year was insane, far bigger than Switches first year (out of what we know).

The GC wasn't that big a flop, just had to compete with the PS2 (Xbox didn't sell much more than the GC did). Plus features missing that people really wanted that Nintendo didn't want to add (DVD playback, online, disc space, etc...). Hell, the very least the GC made Nintendo a large profit, so in that case it was actually a success. The Wii U didn't even reach GC numbers, and each console was sold at a massive loss. I know people still blame a lack of games and hardware, but marketing and name really were it's downfall. The system was unknown, and some stores would advertise it as the Wii, which people already had. Let's not forget, majority of the innitial ads for the things constantly had Wii remotes in them. More so than the WiiU controller.

W101 I'm not sure, it was quite tied to the gamepad.

What? No it wasn't. The game could be played with a pro-controller. Had to for multiplayer.

Gahaha marketing wise, the Wii U name could easily be seen as Wii+ or Wiii, in which most people would just think it's an upgrade and not consider going for it if they already have a Wii.

And it doesn't even sound like a significant upgrade; meanwhile it's easier to tell PS1 -> PS2 or NES to Super NES is one because it makes sense. Bad marketing on top of it just doomed it.

Which is such a damn shame. The original name "Wii" just flipped everyone's opinion around and was the best marketing ever.

So you're telling me Breath of the Wild is barely an upgrade over Skyward Sword? Or that Xenoblade Chronicles X was barely an upgrade over Xenoblade Chronicles? Hardware wise, the WiiU was quite a leap over the Wii.

Really makes you think.

Wow. I totally agree with this post. The Wii U, despite having some great software, was a system I rarely enjoyed playing. I've had more great experiences with my Switch in two months than I had with my Wii U in four years.

mclem

They should have called it the Super Wii. People would have understood.

I think the problem with any direct association with the Wii is that it jettisons the aspect people associated with the Wii. It has the Wii name without continuing the Wii identity.

Syril

Geez I never realized how much some people fucking despised the Wii U for existing to the point where good games became bad just for being on it.

Really makes you think.

Damn good post, bravo sir.

mclem

On top of the name I think a factor was also that the system basically looked exactly like a Wii.

The only difference was the controller. If you didnt follow gaming you would probably just assume the WiiU was just a special controller for the Wii.

hedimgwiivswiiu620pxwmed.jpg

While I don't disagree with the main point, I always think that these shots are misleading when they don't make it clear how long the Wii U is.

gconsole

Really makes you think.

Damn son. That exactly describe my feeling toward WiiU as oppose to switch. I dont know why i feel so joy playing games on switch. I mean i even pay and download some shitty indie game just so i can play game on this machine. There is something about it that make it feels good to play. The machine , the control, the screen. Everything is just so good in hand.

Neff

As a piece of gaming hardware which I bought to play games on, Wii U was (once it hit its release stride) a fantastic, versatile machine which gave me endless hours of pleasure.

As a piece of gaming hardware designed to capture audiences both core and casual alike, it failed atrociously and stupidly. But I still loved it all the same.

8 million people got the inferior Mario Kart

Goddamn, every day I feel worse and worse for people who thought the Wii U would turn into something

And they played it for 3 years and had an amazing time. In fact, they're still playing it.

ok, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 on Switch, when?

Neither of these titles are Mario Kart or Zelda when it comes to getting attention, but there's no doubt in my mind that they'd do better on Switch, and Nintendo is probably more confident than ever about porting them right now.

spekkeh

Banned
While Waypoint's conclusions are not wrong, it seems like they're cutting some awful big corners to get to them. In my world, 8 million copies sold is a heck of a lot of people playing a game. It was also GOTY at Eurogamer and Edge in 2014, so to say not many people heard of it is a bit weird. We still need to see MK8D get anywhere close to 8M.

Davey Cakes

I feel it's a bit much saying one "hates" playing on the Wii U. It's never been that bad and the strong Nintendo game library always made up for the shortcomings IMO. I agree it wasn't always a snappy experience and that it felt like the Wii U's gaming community wasn't particularly large, but I had some incredible experiences with the system.

The Switch has advantages that just make it more satisfying to play. Nintendo streamlined many aspects of it. The UI us no-nonsense, the switching from handheld to TV is seamless, the joy-cons make for really versatile experiences (both SP and MP), and there's a huge benefit in putting the entire system in the tablet instead of having a console AND peripheral to lug around. It's the ultimate fine-tuned experience.

That said, c'mon. Wii U still gave us fun social experiences with features like Miiverse. It still had those strong "phenomenon games" like Mario Kart 8, Smash Brothers, and Splatoon. It still had pure-joy platformers like Mario 3D World and DKC: Tropical Freeze. It still had some crowd-pleasing party experiences like Nintendo Land and Wii Party U. It still had a good selection of indies. And we can't forget those cool little moments where Nintendo let us play GBA and DS games on the thing, or let players use up to 8 different controllers with certain games. Not to menton that if you skipped the Wii you could play ALL of those games on Wii U (including everything in the Shop Channel), making it the ultimate legacy machine.

Wii U had a lot to offer but it was occasionally too experimental for its own good and it suffered from never feeling like the "in-thing." I bet many Switch owners enjoy the fact alone that they're playing something that's a very well-known quantity in the gaming and tech space. Still, in terms of content the Switch has a lot of catching up to do because in the end, the Wii U had a very underrated library of games. It was just hamstrung by the fact that Nintendo failed to sell the philosophy of the product to the masses.

Jacce

Banned
The WiiU system just angered me. The UI was a atrocious. The hardware was not intuitive nor enjoyable to use. It made playing fantastic games a complete chore and nearly unbearable.

Switch is the complete opposite. I am glad I am not alone in this.

. We still need to see MK8D get anywhere close to 8M.

That is not even a question, it's not up to debate whether it will pass that. It's about WHEN it will pass that. Switch will surpass WIiU's total lifetime hardware sold in it's first year on the market.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Why shouldn't Nintendo use the Switch to recoup the money spent developing those games and make a few bucks? Its fair to say the wii U's small install base underminned the potential sales of many games. Let them live again on a console which is shaping up to have wide market appeal. As far as I'm concerned Nintendo should port over every big game they can from the wii U.

Yeah, much of Nintendo's Wii U output is timeless. The top ten or so games could come out next year with upgraded fidelity and people wouldn't realize that they're ports any more than they realize Mario Kart 8 is a port.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, much of Nintendo's Wii U output is timeless. The top ten or so games could come out next year with upgraded fidelity and people wouldn't realize that they're ports any more than they realize Mario Kart 8 is a port.
As long as there's a little bit of extra incentive, sure.

I absolutely think that Nintendo should remaster Donkey Kong Country Returns and pack it together with Tropical Freeze. The latter is a game that deserved A LOT more love and having a "DK Collection" would help both games reach a larger potential audience. There aren't THAT many games that really need that treatment, however. I feel like some of Nintendo's other games like Kirby and Yoshi can just be left where they are, unless Nintendo really wants to go crazy with their legacy.

spekkeh

Banned
That is not even a question, it's not up to debate whether it will pass that. It's about WHEN it will pass that. Switch will surpass WIiU's total lifetime hardware sold in it's first year on the market.
I'm happy with every sale that it gets. It was my game of the generation by some distance until BotW arrived. To this day I'm still pissed about the 2014 GOTY awards. But MK8 is still a 3 years old game. In order for it to reach 8M, Switch probably needs 14M units sold LTD, and by that time there are a lot of new games getting attention. I hope so though, it does seem to be the ideal 'hey I see you have a Switch too, lets play some Mario Kart now' game.

As someone who never owned a Wii U I'd be happy with ports of all its good games to Switch. Especially 3D World and Mario Maker.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Yeah Wii U sucked and it was a deserved failure. I'm so glad Nintendo seems to have a hit on their hands highlighted by great games.
The biggest hits so far have been a cross platform release and a port.

The games have never been Nintendo's problem, the platform most certainly was. Wii U was the wrong product at the wrong time.

Switch is different and being what it is (An amazing handheld with a TV dock) certainly helps.

Top Bottom