• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD rises from the ashes (sort of)

MoxManiac

jarrod said:
When their choice is stuff like Goemon PS2 or Silpheed TLP... well, that sort of opens itself up to criticism, no? Working Designs' catalog has always been far from spectacular though, even in their heyday on PS1... I'd say the only must own products from them were the four Lunars, Popful Mail and Alundra actually.

Yeah...after getting burned on the generic and crappy ATLC boxset, I stopped buying their releases. I don't know if Growlanser is actually worth it, but I skipped it anyways.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Propagandhim said:
Nah, I got the point. I'm just saying that WD is unique and would cater to a certain pool of people who aren't into Atlus' games. There are alot of differences between WD and Atlus, or any other company, after all. You make a good point though, I don't think they can afford to play the game the same way, and risk delays for ultra-fancy (and awesome) packaging, even though that is one of the very things that made them unique in the first place. I wish we could get the whole package...but maybe that's not viable in today's domain of videogame business. I won't pretend like I know a thing about what's viable in the industry anymore, but I do know that if WD would work out the kinks on a few things, they'd definitely be up there with the top dogs.

No, you are not quite getting the full picture here. Working Designs is dead, finished, kaput, no more, its time has literially come and gone and the prospects of this new venture, GajinWorks, look quite franky laughable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
MoxManiac said:
Yeah...after getting burned on the generic and crappy ATLC boxset, I stopped buying their releases. I don't know if Growlanser is actually worth it, but I skipped it anyways.

Dragon Force and Iron Storm should be in that list.

Shard said:
No, you are not quite getting the full picture here. Working Designs is dead, finished, kaput, no more, its time has literially come and gone and the prospects of this new venture, GajinWorks, look quite franky laughable.

I guess we'll just wait and see. ; )

Shard said:
What could they bring over?

I'm not quite sure, as I don't know the Japanese game release schedule. Do you, by any chance? Who knows, maybe DS stuff..maybe not. I'm sure there are a ton of great Japanese games that we have no idea exist.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Propagandhim said:
I'm not quite sure, as I don't know the Japanese game release schedule. Do you, by any chance? Who knows, maybe DS stuff..maybe not. I'm sure there are a ton of great Japanese games that we have no idea exist.

See, you missed the first part of the discussion, Vic is targeting the XBOX 360 with this new venture of his. Remember he burned his bridges with SCEA and isn't keen on rebuilding them and he hates Nintendo for god only knows what reason. He has cast he lot in with Microsoft.

Shard said:
See, you missed the first part of the discussion, Vic is targeting the XBOX 360 with this new venture of his. Remember he burned his bridges with SCEA and isn't keen on rebuilding them and he hates Nintendo for god only knows what reason. He has cast he lot in with Microsoft.

Oooh. That clears up quite a bit. Yeah, I haven't a clue, to be honest. In the back of my mind, I don't want to go out and buy a system I know is a giant cluster**** in Japan, because RPGs are pretty much all I care to buy, anyway (I'm not a big fan of the Oblivion-type stuff). Hah..i'm a little bummed out now..damn.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SailorDaravon said:
What the hell is on 360 that he could bring over? I don't understand ?_?

Your guess is as good as mine and as for the second part, well, that comes down to Vic being too stubbron for his own good.

Shouta

ethelred said:
Atlus? Aces.
Agetec? Horrible, horrible translations. They do a terrible job.
Ubisoft? They do even worse than Agetec!
NIS? They do an okay job most of the time with the translation, but their taste in selection (Idea Factory, Blade Dancer, their own repetitive shovelware) leaves much to be desired and pales in comparison to WD's going-to-11 games.
Xseed? They picked up one mediocre, one above average game, did a decent job in the localization, and then vanished.

Even Atlus is hit or miss. Their work on Stella Deus was shit, for example. Lufia: The Ruines of Lore and Magna Carta are other examples. Then they have some bad action game releases. They're definitely not ace but they are a much more steady company than the others in that list.

Shard said:

He doesn't want to work with SCEA right now, if ever again as I recall. He may have mentioned it here on the forum awhile back. I can't blame him though, WD got a lot of trouble during the PS1/PS2 days when they tried to bring games over, something they hadn't run into previously.

I disagree that WD/Vic's new company is obselete now, there is still a place in the industry for a company like his. There's still software that can be brought over and that fan company niche is still free. I just hope they don't run into the same trouble they did with Sony so we can see them crank games out instead of getting stuck on one game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, you make some good points over WD Shouta even though I disagree with the obsolete stance and I can see why Vic would not want to work with SCEA. Still, that does not clear up the present concerns over GajinWorks.

vireland

Wow, what an out-of-left-field thread! Got a good balance of fans and haters in it, too. Seems like old times already!

I can't say much at the moment except that Gaijinworks will not be console-monogamous. I don't hate Nintendo, and the economics of the DS are improving almost daily as the console takes off and manufacturing turn time improves. Point of fact, you could see Gaijinworks on consoles anywhere...or everywhere.

Yes, the industry has co-opted lots of stuff (pack-in soundtracks, deluxe packs, crazy cool preorder premiums) I started at WD, but they can only copy, not innovate, because they're by and large not gamers. (And, no, Atlus USA was never larger than WD at it's peak. If you were around then, Atlus shameless aped stuff WD did, right down to some of the text on their website)

So, haters keep talking ****. That awareness is priceless, and I thank you. Fans, keep the faith, people who care are ramping up to bring you RPGs to care about.

jarrod

Banned
I'd forgotten about Iron Storm... that was great too. I'd add Silhoutte Mirage to the list too, but anyone interested in that game should pick up the uncastrated Saturn version. I guess Raystorm was great at the time.

Rayearth looks ace, but was pretty medicore really. I've heard nice things about Growlanser too (mostly from Shouta :p), but beyond that it's pretty bleak.

MoxManiac

vireland said:
Wow, what an out-of-left-field thread! Got a good balance of fans and haters in it, too. Seems like old times already!

I can't say much at the moment except that Gaijinworks will not be console-monogamous. I don't hate Nintendo, and the economics of the DS are improving almost daily as the console takes off and manufacturing turn time improves. Point of fact, you could see Gaijinworks on consoles anywhere...or everywhere.

Yes, the industry has co-opted lots of stuff (pack-in soundtracks, deluxe packs, crazy cool preorder premiums) I started at WD, but they can only copy, not innovate, because they're by and large not gamers. (And, no, Atlus USA was never larger than WD at it's peak. If you were around then, Atlus shameless aped stuff WD did, right down to some of the text on their website)

So, haters keep talking ****. That awareness is priceless, and I thank you. Fans, keep the faith, people who care are ramping up to bring you RPGs to care about.

Will you buy back my ATLC? :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
vireland said:

Well, now that is a bit of a sigh of relief since I don't think a person here was saying "GW and XBOX 360 exlusivly, what a great idea."

Shouta

jarrod said:
Rayearth looks ace, but was pretty medicore really. I've heard nice things about Growlanser too (mostly from Shouta :p), but beyond that it's pretty bleak.

Wish we could've gotten Growlanser I and IV (instead of II and III) because those are the best of the games so far. It was a great decision for WD to bring it over IMO, such a great series that was overlooked for the longest time. Stupid Atlus passed up on it when the first Growlanser although I can't blame them as much. Growlanser I is the most text and voice heavy RPG I can think of on the Playstation and the Atlus of that era couldn't provide a translation that could've done the game any justice.

MoxManiac said:
Will you buy back my ATLC? :(

Should ask vic to trade ATLC in for a copy of the two Growlanser games, you'd probably like those quite a bit more.

NotMSRP

Why do these niche demographic companies bring over a bunch of less desirable titles and not the really good titles that remains forever in Nipponland. They bring a lot of "I don't want" stuff over here and not bring over the "I want" stuff. I still have to import even with all of these "niche-targeted" companies.

vireland

Vic! How about an explanation about that name?

It really isn't that complicated. It's all about turning a negative into a positive and communicating what we do succinctly. "Gaijin" is literally "outsider", and it's commonly held as a derogatory Japanese tag. The "Works" is implying a foundry or such like place where craftsmen work something fluid into something strong and solid. The logo is a Japanese (modern) flag with a gear around the middle. Gaijinworks. Literally, a place where damned outsiders craft Japanese games into stuff for you to care about in English.

I can't really do 20 questions about Gaijinworks right now because I may spill stuff better kept contained at the moment. Gaijinworks.com will be live in the Fall with things to read about about things to entertain yourself coming to a console, or consoles near you.

vireland

Atlus is easily twice as large as WD at its peak. >_>

Please.

*Maybe* just this year, or last, I stopped following it last year. But up until recently (if they have), no, they hadn't eclipsed WD's sales at its peak. Of course, that doesn't count anything outside Atlus USA. Atlus Japan is much much much larger.

jarrod

Banned
Atlus USA has never had a breakaway hit that sells 500k+ like Lunar SSS, but I think people are more speaking to the scale of the company itself and their output. They release a ton of small print titles that nearly always make a return though.

Shouta

NotMSRP said:
Do any WD "IPs" transfer over to Gaijinworks?

I believe no. I've heard rumors of Atlus dipping their hands and into the upcoming Growlanser V for release down the line so I'd assume that anything Growlanser has gone back to them. For that reason, I'd also assume whatever WD had went "poof" too.

they hadn't eclipsed WD's sales at its peak

Oh, by "bigger" I assumed the original poster meant staff, games released per year, and total revenue. Lunar probably sold more than any Atlus title has yet, but that's only one game.

vireland

Oh, by "bigger" I assumed the original poster meant staff, games released per year, and total revenue. Lunar probably sold more than any Atlus title has yet, but that's only one game.

Be careful with your "Please." gun, then.

LUNAR wasn't the only RPG WD did. The *average* was more than 125k units per RPG.

Tsubaki

Tamanon said:
But.....don' tthere have to be games on the X360 to import?

Senkou no Ronde Rev. X says hi.

00_s.jpg
22_s.jpg

13_s.jpg
12_s.jpg

17_s.jpg
21_s.jpg

09_s.jpg
15_s.jpg

LegatoB

vireland said:
Yes, the industry has co-opted lots of stuff (pack-in soundtracks, deluxe packs, crazy cool preorder premiums) I started at WD, but they can only copy, not innovate, because they're by and large not gamers.
Dude, WD's slogan was a Spinal Tap reference, and you dare speak of innovation? :lol And I'm sorry, but Gaijinworks? Do you want everyone on both sides of the Pacific to think you're a complete joke before they even hear your pitch? Do a little market-research next time you're picking names, and try to get something that doesn't sound like some thirteen-year-old misguided anime fan's dream venture. :lol

Shouta

vireland said:
Be careful with your "Please." gun, then.

LUNAR wasn't the only RPG WD did. The *average* was more than 125k units per RPG.

I was just about to go look for sales figures. :lol

LegatoB said:
Dude, WD's slogan was a Spinal Tap reference, and you dare speak of innovation? :lol And I'm sorry, but Gaijinworks? Do you want everyone on both sides of the Pacific to think you're a complete joke before they even hear your pitch? Do a little market-research next time you're picking names, and try to get something that doesn't sound like some thirteen-year-old misguided anime fan's dream venture. :lol

He explained the name for their title and it sounds reasonable. And you're discounting all the game-related innovation for the Spinal Tap motto (which, even some haters think is pretty keen). You can't deny there was alot of stuff WD endeavored to do that nobody else had tried before. They took a big risk.

vireland

Dude, WD's slogan was a Spinal Tap reference, and you dare speak of innovation?

Uh, yeah. How many US RPGs (and games in general) did you see BEFORE WD with cool packaging, pack in soundtracks, crazy preorder premiums (or ANY premiums) and spell checked text?

Do you want everyone on both sides of the Pacific to think you're a complete joke before they even hear your pitch?

Hasn't stopped any of them so far. In fact, on the Japanese side, the name is shocking enough that it's led to some pretty cool meetings. Which was/is the point.

Vic, I wish you luck in your new venture. I think there is a lot of opportunity out there, and I look forward to seeing what you're up to this fall.

That said.

Gaijinworks strikes me as an awful name. While it certainly might fly here in the US, the word "gaijin" makes Japanese people uncomfortable. My friends couldn't even say it to my face, even if I used it. If they absolutely had to they'd use the word "gaikokujin." It's a racist, ugly term, even if we don't mind hearing it. I don't believe you can turn this particular negative into a positive.

EDIT: Okay, just saw your post above. I still don't know -- I wasn't in the meetings, of course, but after the initial shock value, it's still just a really uncomfortable term. I might be intrigued if I was working with a company called, for example, "N*ggers Incorporated," but I don't know if I'd ever be able to say the name without cringing inside.

Hero

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting more games released in America that otherwise wouldn't have ever been released. But in the PS2/GCN/Xbox/GBA generation I just didn't see Working Designs as part of the companies that supplied me with games. Arc the Lad was cool, and Growlanser too. A lot of other companies are now starting to release Japanese oriented games and at a much steadier rate.

LegatoB

Propagandhim said:
He explained the name for their title and it sounds reasonable. And you're discounting all the game-related innovation for the Spinal Tap motto (which, even some haters think is pretty keen). Who cares?
Hmm. Let's see what else you've said in this thread:

Propagandhim said:
Working Designs was one of the greatest publishers of the past 2 decades.
:lol

Propagandhim said:
The American videogame industry needs Vic. Hopefully everything goes well. **** you haters.
Uhh... no, not really. There are plenty of other companies bringing out the good obscure or niche Japanese titles to US shores, and they do it much faster than Working Designs ever could with translations that were actually translations and not terribly unfunny pop-culture references.

Can we get someone who's not a big-time WD fanboy to defend the terrible choice of name?

Oh, hey. You edited your post while I was writing my reply! Let's see...

You can't deny there was alot of stuff WD endeavored to do that nobody else had tried before. They took a big risk.
Maybe initially. But their time has passed. I don't see anything that Gaijinworks could possibly bring to the table that Atlus or their ilk isn't already providing. If I've proven wrong, hey, great. But I wouldn't bet on it!

vireland

But in the PS2/GCN/Xbox/GBA generation I just didn't see Working Designs as part of the companies that supplied me with games.

Well, that's because we *couldn't* bring out the games we chose. Physically blocked. And the misguided battle to get the games approved was at the expense of all the other games that could have been released. Would I do it differently on a do-over? Absolutely. But in the beginning (2001-2002), it wasn't clear what was happening because it had never happened before in my experience. And, in the end, I only had a minority voting voice in the corporation, so when the decision came to close it down, I could only accept it.

vireland

EDIT: Okay, just saw your post above. I still don't know -- I wasn't in the meetings, of course, but after the initial shock value, it's still just a really uncomfortable term. I might be intrigued if I was working with a company called, for example, "N*ggers Incorporated," but I don't know if I'd ever be able to say the name without cringing inside.

Okay, that's funny right thar.

Yeah, the shock value has been a door-opener of sorts in that it seems to have enabled more open and casual conversation, which is really tough on "introduction" meetings. Fortunately, I know a LOT of Japanese players, and most of the meetings have been with people I've known for 10-15 years or more.

Hero

I see. Well, hopefully things will work out better for 360/Wii/PS3.

I'm waiting for an Alex puppet.

Vic, you need to get some Shmups on XBLA. The niche demands it... or maybe just me.

you will be my hero and all my WD woes will disappear forever.

kinda poor form talking down Atlus though.. i'd think you, like most fans of the games, would be glad that they are doing quality translations with pre-order bonuses, pack-ins, etc.

noonche

There are plenty of other companies bringing out the good obscure or niche Japanese titles to US shores, and they do it much faster than Working Designs ever could

I think that's the main thing that stands in the way of the success of this new venture. I can't imagine Rayearth, Thunder Force V, or any of the other repeatedly delayed products they had where terribly profitable.

Personally, I wasn't sad to see WD go. The last RPG of their's that I enjoyed was Dragon Force. (The last game I liked being Thunder Force V). I've never appreciated their translation "style".

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not sure how the name will fly in Japan but I don't think the average American game buyer even knows what a "gaijin" is... I could care less, myself... I don't like to wish for any publisher's failure (except maybe EA...), but if Vic puts out games that I am interested in, I will buy them, simple as that, regardless of his past message board history, company history, and new company name.

One thing I personally would like to see for Vic's company, or whomever (I doubt its economically feasable though), is a commercial market for hacking old NES/SNES RPGs that never came to the US for use on the Virtual Console... kinda like a legal ROM hacking/translation scene.

Also sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked Arc the Lad collection. Well, Arc 1 was mediocre, and 3 let's never speak of again...but 2 was one of the best games I've ever played, I think... so long and epic and badass.

LegatoB

Propagandhim said:
Having a bad day Legato? You seem awfully angry at someone you don't even know on the internet.:D
I'm kind of impressed at myself. No matter how I write a post on the Internet, everyone always thinks I'm angry when I disagree with them! It's like some sort of really stupid superpower, second in uselessness only to the ability to communicate with fish. :D

vireland

kinda poor form talking down Atlus though.. i'd think you, like most fans of the games, would be glad that they are doing quality translations with pre-order bonuses, pack-ins, etc.

I didn't bring them into this thread, and I didn't mean to dog them if that's what you got out of it. I just defended inaccurate statements made by someone else. That's it. I've known people at Atlus a LONG time, and one of the people there since the TG days, and I think they do a great job overall. I saw Atlus and WD as two complementary halves in the US.

Two words: Virtual Console and/or Xbox Live.

There are many games from the PC Engine that got releases with WD (love them or hate them)... I wouldn't mind seeing them again, and more.

jgkspsx

vireland said:
Some things just don't change. It's really astonishing -- the distribution of haters/fans and the tone of every WD thread I've read in rgvs or here since 1998 is very nearly constant!

(Gaijinworks?!)

bjork

The fact that people are reacting to the name Gaijinworks means it's something memorable, and isn't that the point of a name? I mean hell, look at Dreamcast, Wii, etc. Those names also had people going "wf" when they were unveiled also, but they got the job done. I think the name is fine.

Vic: you will be my life's hero if you're able to get Guwange on a home console in any form. <3

[edit - OR a handheld!]

MoxManiac

vireland said:
Well, that's because we *couldn't* bring out the games we chose. Physically blocked. And the misguided battle to get the games approved was at the expense of all the other games that could have been released. Would I do it differently on a do-over? Absolutely. But in the beginning (2001-2002), it wasn't clear what was happening because it had never happened before in my experience. And, in the end, I only had a minority voting voice in the corporation, so when the decision came to close it down, I could only accept it.

Well, what was SCEA's reason to block the games? Which games were blocked? I'm not a fan of SCEA by any means (sick of watching those recent awesome SNK fighters rot in JP) but from what I understood that Goemon game you guys were trying to bring here of questionable quality, wasn't it? As far as being forced to bundle the Growlanser games, weren't both of them quite old by the time you published them? Seems a bit steep to expect people to pay full price for two old games seperately.

It can't be that SCEA hates niche games; we get a crapload of em. Hell, NIS was able to actually develop a US branch. I'm not all that convinced that SCEA is the problem, rather it might be some dubious game choices by WD themselves.

Top Bottom