• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD rises from the ashes (sort of)

MoxManiac said:
Well, what was SCEA's reason to block the games? Which games were blocked? I'm not a fan of SCEA by any means (sick of watching those recent awesome SNK fighters rot in JP) but from what I understood that Goemon game you guys were trying to bring here of questionable quality, wasn't it? As far as being forced to bundle the Growlanser games, weren't both of them quite old by the time you published them? Seems a bit steep to expect people to pay full price for two old games seperately.

It can't be that SCEA hates niche games; we get a crapload of em. Hell, NIS was able to actually develop a US branch. I'm not all that convinced that SCEA is the problem, rather it might be some dubious game choices by WD themselves.

Dude. It's SCEA.

THEY DONT NEED A REASON.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
vireland said:
Yes, the industry has co-opted lots of stuff (pack-in soundtracks, deluxe packs, crazy cool preorder premiums) I started at WD, but they can only copy, not innovate, because they're by and large not gamers. (And, no, Atlus USA was never larger than WD at it's peak. If you were around then, Atlus shameless aped stuff WD did, right down to some of the text on their website)

So, haters keep talking ****. That awareness is priceless, and I thank you. Fans, keep the faith, people who care are ramping up to bring you RPGs to care about.

Can't wait to see what kind of pointless crud (read: puppets) your special edition packages bring.

At any rate, I wish any company with your goal in mind good luck. Just one thing. Bring over your games in an acceptable timeframe this time around. No excuses.

vireland

Well, what was SCEA's reason to block the games? Which games were blocked? I'm not a fan of SCEA by any means (sick of watching those recent awesome SNK fighters rot in JP) but from what I understood that Goemon game you guys were trying to bring here of questionable quality, wasn't it? As far as being forced to bundle the Growlanser games, weren't both of them quite old by the time you published them? Seems a bit steep to expect people to pay full price for two old games seperately.

It can't be that SCEA hates niche games; we get a crapload of em. Hell, NIS was able to actually develop a US branch. I'm not all that convinced that SCEA is the problem, rather it might be some dubious game choices by WD themselves.

I can't go into the specifics of the pervasive problems, but it helps to have a Japanese parent (or any giant-sized entity) to come and undo the mess the bully has made on the playground. We had no such protection, and only got hip to that part of the political game toward the end, having never had to deal with those kind of crazy head games.

Growlanser II and III were pretty new when we initially proposed them, having come out within 6 months of each other. The US could have gotten them about 2 years earlier, and we'd have already released IV.

MoxManiac said:
I'm not all that convinced that SCEA is the problem

I think Vic (and when I say "Vic" I really mean "whatever conglomerate of people made key decisions at Working Designs ca. 2001-2005") really was greatly responsible for WD's problems with the focus on Goemon and such, but I don't think you can really underestimate SCEA's contribution either. The "no full-price 2d" policy is well-known and responsible for some other games (Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth, notably) not making it over, and there have been other somewhat arbitrary game refusals in the past.

MoxManiac

Hmm, I didn't realize the JP parent company came into play for approving games. I guess it would explain why Capcom has an easier time getting their fighters approved (more clout then SNK/Playmore I'd assume)

noonche

vireland said:
Growlanser II and III were pretty new when we initially proposed them, having come out within 6 months of each other. The US could have gotten them about 2 years earlier, and we'd have already released IV.

Even before that debacle, WD wasn't exactly known for its punctuality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Thunder Force V, Magic Knight Rayearth, Silpheed, and every single Lunar game suffer from substantial to massive delays?

MoxManiac

charlequin said:
I think Vic (and when I say "Vic" I really mean "whatever conglomerate of people made key decisions at Working Designs ca. 2001-2005") really was greatly responsible for WD's problems with the focus on Goemon and such, but I don't think you can really underestimate SCEA's contribution either. The "no full-price 2d" policy is well-known and responsible for some other games (Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth, notably) not making it over, and there have been other somewhat arbitrary game refusals in the past.

Fair enough, but are you sure that that wasn't Namco deciding to pass on releasing those here? I'm well aware of the anti-2D policy, but I'm pretty sure Namco doesn't have a lot of faith in the franchise here.

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Fair enough, but are you sure that that wasn't Namco deciding to pass on releasing those here? I'm well aware of the anti-2D policy, but I'm pretty sure Namco doesn't have a lot of faith in the franchise here.
Yeah, the 2D Tales not coming was entirely Namco's decision, it didn't even get to SCEA... they're just interested in 3D Tales, at least on consoles.

CO_Andy

Dragona Akehi said:
Two words: Virtual Console and/or Xbox Live.
Xbox Live Arcade has been stagnant as of late. The Virtual Console will perhaps be Gaijinworks' most profitable venture without having to deal with the hassle of manufacturing.

Angelcurio

I must say that WD was a great company during the ps1 days. Thanks to the i could play games like Lunar and Alundra (sony should make a sequel of this game).

But in the ps2 days, to be honest, WD didnt contribute a lot with my hobbie. Grownlanser II was a really good game, but it was too short. Asking for a full retail price for that game would have been disastrous, when you could have finished at rental.

Then Growlanser III, the other game in the pack, was really horrible. If it would have been released as a standalone title, it would have suffered a horrible death.

So, i guess that some mistakes were made regarding the games choice.

Now that you are starting your own company, i would suggest you to focus in the handheld market in the meantime. A lot of games are being released for the DS and the PSP, and have never been released stateaside. It could save you a lot of problems regarding the game aprobal process, and you would really bring the games to the gamers faster.

vireland said:
I don't hate Nintendo, and the economics of the DS are improving almost daily as the console takes off and manufacturing turn time improves.

The console took off at easter time of last year, unless much like in the Sonybots minds it's still easter for you so I guess it's still taking off

and seriously man a racial slur in the name of your company good idea there

maybe I should start a company and call it like Daygo Foods or Mic Beer

As much as I applaud Vic Irelend for fighting the good fight, I must say that if it's one genre we don't really need much more support with is the J-RPG. We have more than enough companies covering the localization of most of the better Japanese offerings for here in the states. Attention should really be placed on localizing other genres that have been sorely neglected in the good ol' U.S.

could vic be the mystery man translating the galaxy angel PC games?

Just a note, Growlanser 1 is on the PC, if ever there was a way to still bring this awesome game to the US, thats it. Vic, since you've made it pretty clear that gaijinworks will be multiplatform, any chance of PC being included in that array?

and seriously man a racial slur in the name of your company good idea there

maybe I should start a company and call it like Daygo Foods or Mic Beer

Racial slur? I remember my spanish textbook had a story about a guy going to Japan and being called a "gaijin" - I don't think it's as drastic as you're making it sound.

Propagandhim said:
Racial slur? I remember my spanish textbook had a story about a guy going to Japan and being called a "gaijin" - I don't think it's as drastic as you're making it sound.

Look, spin WD and Vic all you want, but "gaijin"? Racial slur. You can't really get around that.

Mr_Furious said:
As much as I applaud Vic Irelend for fighting the good fight, I must say that if it's one genre we don't really need much more support with is the J-RPG. We have more than enough companies covering the localization of most of the better Japanese offerings for here in the states. Attention should really be placed on localizing other genres that have been sorely neglected in the good ol' U.S.

Truth

Shumps needs some one willing to bring them over

The best of that Genre is still stuck in Japan

Synthesizer Patel said:
Look, spin WD and Vic all you want, but "gaijin"? Racial slur. You can't really get around that.

Well, i'm not intentionally trying to spin anything. I figured it couldn't be such a terrible word if it was in my old highschool textbook.

*cue the DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH RACISM IS IN TEXTBOOKS NOWADAYS*

I simply thought it was more along the line of "Yankee" than "N***er*"

Joe Molotov

Synthesizer Patel said:

OMG, I hope libraries aren't letting children read this racist book!

044021680X.jpg

MrDaravon

Interesting. A few points.

-Sorry, the name is HORRIBLE. Maybe a year from now people will have warmed up to it like Wii though I suppose.
-Thank God you're not just doing X360 games :lol
-Someone earlier said it best, do translations that are ****ing translations, not inserted with tons of american shit. I understand literal translations don't work, but dozens of RPGs get released each year without Clinton jokes, etc, etc.
-Turnaround times need to be a lot better then they were at WD. If SCEA blocking you is no longer an issue, it shouldn't take years to get the games out, right?
-As has also been said, Atlus and other companies have largely filled the niche publisher role. However if you're willing to work across multiple systems, there are certainly some decent titles you can get out. Also, Dragona's VC/Xbox Arcade suggestion is excellent, think there's anything you can do about that?

If you can get out decent titles for a variety of systems in a timely manner, then I think you'll do very well. Even most WD fans associate WD with "long delays." I'd personally reccommend to try to get away from that as quickly as possible. Pack-ins and stuff are awesome, but I would have rather been playing Growlanser months if not years before it's release and missed out on bonus packaging and shit. Maybe find some kind of middleground like Atlus does with preorder CDs/artbooks/whatever. Personally if I'm teetering on the edge of getting a game or not, a preorder bonus might make that difference, and consequently get you more sales. I'm not a fan of WD for the aforementioned reasons, but I certainly hope you do well and turn things around. Atlus or whoever doesn't need to be the only game in town, the more the merrier.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Joe Molotov said:
OMG, I hope libraries aren't letting children read this racist book!

044021680X.jpg

Whoa, what a coincidence - we have a book exchange place near the cafeteria at work and I was browsing there before breakfast and saw someone added this book to it, immediately picked it up and read the back because of the name... have you read it? Is it worth reading all 1200 or so pages? Sorry for the thread derail.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A couple of thoughts:
1) Gaijinworks is a downright awful name.
2) There's no doubt that WD became all but irrelevant years before they closed, and that's something I find a lot more regrettable than the closing itself.
3) Vic and WD were doing things and bringing us content that really wasn't going to make it's way here no matter what, and for that they'll always have my support.
4) I wish them the best of luck, and I hope they'll apply the lessons learned from WD to the new company. At this point, I'd rather have another Atlus than WD.

MrDaravon

djtiesto said:
Whoa, what a coincidence - we have a book exchange place near the cafeteria at work and I was browsing there before breakfast and saw someone added this book to it, immediately picked it up and read the back because of the name... have you read it? Is it worth reading all 1200 or so pages? Sorry for the thread derail.

I haven't read Gai-jin, but Shogun and Noble House (in the same series, Shogun is before and Noble House is after) are excellent books, Noble House in particular. I've heard Gai-jin and Whirlwind are not as good though.

The End

Shin Johnpv said:
Truth

Shumps needs some one willing to bring them over

The best of that Genre is still stuck in Japan

There are piles of fantastic shmups that have never made it out here. I honestly don't know what Cave asks to license its game, but considering there's very, very little translation required, I'm sure you could make it profitable at a $19.99 price point. Look at XS and their release of Shikagami no Shiro 2: they sold out their first printing practically instantly, and have made a good profit on reprints.

Tsubaki

It's quite simple when you look at the words:

外国人 (gaikokujin) - person from outside country. foreigner.

外人 (gaijin) - outside person. outsider.

Shouta

Tsubaki said:
It's quite simple when you look at the words:

外国人 (gaikokujin) - person from outside country. foreigner.

外人 (gaijin) - outside person. outsider.

Except they're used somewhat interchangably.

Joe Molotov

djtiesto said:

I like James Clavell's books in theory, but in practice I just don't have a long enough attention span to read a book that long anymore. I started reading Shogun, but I stalled out somewhere in the middle and never got around to finishing it, and ended up getting the TV miniseries instead. YMMV

Man Vic, make Namco let you bring Tales of Destiny remake and Tales of Destiny 2 here. These are the only big games I really want to come to the states and they just aren't. It's insanity, I tells you.

vireland

No spin necessary. It's not the word, it's how it's used. Someone made the connection that it was akin to "queer" when speaking about gay folk, then that community took the word back, turning the word inside out again. Pretty astute observation, actually. Gaijin is "outsider", that's all. And now, we're taking it back, baby.

MrDaravon

DarknessTear said:
Man Vic, make Namco let you bring Tales of Destiny remake and Tales of Destiny 2 here. These are the only big games I really want to come to the states and they just aren't. It's insanity, I tells you.

HOLY **** YES

I would buy 2 copies of each!

Shouta

DarknessTear said:

Would be perfect for WD!

LuCkymoON

Banned
vireland said:
No spin necessary. It's not the word, it's how it's used. Someone made the connection that it was akin to "queer" when speaking about gay folk, then that community took the word back, turning the word inside out again. Pretty astute observation, actually. Gaijin is "outsider", that's all. And now, we're taking it back, baby.
Good, WD was one of the best reasons to own a Saturn back in the day.

MoxManiac

Isn't Namco pretty protective of their IPs?

Though technically Nintendo published ToS and ToP...sorta. Maybe that was a joint thing

Shard said:
Exactly, the XBOX 360 is not exactly overflowing with JRPG goodness or other odd bits of Japan quirkiness that Working Designs/GajinWorks is apt to pick up; moreover, those bits that are there have already been pretty much carved out by other publishers. I mean what is Gajin Works going to pick up Far East of Eden? Furthermore, in regards to the demographics split, I think they are even more profound then mentioned here. Indeed, the main XBOX buyer is vastly disparate from those who would ever pick up a Working Designs game, but I also contend that this rift seeps down into the hardcore gamer as well. Indeed, there are all sorts of hardcores out there, we know this, and the specific hardcore that would buy a WD/GW game is a lover of JRPGs or just a general Japanophile and so on and so forth along those lines. Let me ask a honest question here, how many of those kind of gamers actually own a XBOX, own a XBOX 360, or plan on getting one? I know this isn't the case for all games but in all reality the system this kind of hardcore is going to own is one of the Microsoft systems. They are more likely to own a PS2 and/or a GameCube depending on system specific fanboy allegiances. In essence, Vicky here is walking into the harshest market product wise for reasons chronicled in this thread compounded with what is potentially the least receptive audience to this type of product. At this point I would be very surprised if GW would be able to find success on the XBOX 360.

I buy all the japanese type games ( Sega, Snk ) I won an x-box. I bought the X-box just for the Sega games, all the other games were an afterthought. Yes I do own a PS2 and an Gamecube. Actually if you apply your Statement to a broader statement, The Ps2 would be the only system the Hardcore Japophile wuld own. What other Japanese games does the Gamecube have besides Nintedno games,all the Capcom games, one or two sega and Namco games, that would appeal to the hardcore japanophile?

Cheerilee

I don't know about the Japanese use of the word, but in English "gaijin" strikes me as more nerdly than "otaku". It's like when kids pick up 10 or 20 japanese words from watching anime, and start throwing them into their everyday conversation, thinking they know Japanese now. Especially with something like "ichiban" in close proximity. It just doesn't seem to fit with WD's old style of perfectly fluid native English in their translations (ignoring the occasional times when you went too far, like the Clinton jokes). Although maybe you're going for a different direction with this new company?

I really like the "Draftworks" name I suggested on the first page, but it's your company and if you like Gaijinworks, so be it. It's a much better name than "Wii", in any case.

I don't know if you're allowed to say, but can you tell us about how much of WD is back together again for Gaijinworks? Did you hint that you might be getting a Japanese parent, or will you be 100% independant again? I think you hinted that you'd personally have more say over the company this time.

And I'm not worried if Atlus is better than Gaijinworks or not. All you need to be is better than them on their worst day, and you'll have a place. As long as you're bringing over games that otherwise wouldn't come over, I don't see how anyone could possibly complain.

Tamanon

Banned
vireland said:

Vic's seen Clerks 2 I see:D

MoxManiac said:

It's not impossible, but, well... every 3D Tales ever has been released or announced for release in America (no exceptions) and every 2D Tales announced for PS2 has not been announced for America (again, no exceptions.) I wouldn't be surprised if Namco didn't, say, fight for the games, but I feel reasonably certain that one or both of them were at least proposed and shot down due to 2Dness.

EDIT: IIRC, Vic's already been shot down by Namco for bringing either Tales over. I don't think Namco is willing to let people other than Hometek translate their games. Too bad, a ToDR/ToD2 dual-pack would be sweet hotness.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dragona Akehi said:
Dude. It's SCEA.

THEY DONT NEED A REASON.

Back in 2003/2004 G4TV.com (the show) had a special Girls of Gaming episode. They had Zoe Flower, Tanksmash (a super hardcore gamer girl with Megaman tatooes, etc), and someone from SCEA First Party Approval.

Now, despite coming off as one of the most arrogant people on the planet, the SCEA girl explained how the approval process worked as if it was the greatest thing in the universe and it was the only way to bring out games in the US. Basically she explained that if the game did not make the PlayStation brand look competitive against the other consoles, it would not be approved at all. That means no 2D games and nothing too niche to not alienate the mainstream market and thus make the brand look poor in comparison to MS and Nintendo.

Didn't read all of the thread but:

Just keep releasing quality niche japanese rpg's and I will be happy.

I was very satisfied with the Growlanser double pack and I hope to see IV released stateside some day.

I'm sure there is a ton of PS2 RPG stuff sitting trapped inside japan that really needs to come to the US. Hint Hint

Whatever you do, please be as humourous as NIS is with their english translations. That always sells me!

I'm very glad to see Vic around and posting again. I have been a big fan of many of Working Designs games and bought them on Turbo 16 Grafx, Saturn, PS1, and PS2.

Anyway, I'm definitely glad about Gaijinworks starting up. I don't have a problem with the name because I'm thinking their games they choose, will make me very happy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So Vic will the company still be centered up in Redding where WD was?

I remember back when I worked in retail (oh, 9-10 years ago) Vic coming into EB and buying every PSX lightgun we had...turns out they were localizing Elemental Gearbolt. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i see i've been beaten to the senkou no ronde post. but publish senkou no ronde! i'll buy three copies! nothing wins PRECIOUS HARDCORE CREDIBILITY (which is way better than capital) like immediately releasing a game you don't stand to profit from! plus jrpgs suck!

...and i suppose 'gaijinworks' is little worse than 'spaz.' i wonder if anyone explained that term to, say, tecnosoft. :lol

Link1110

Whatever you do, please be as humourous as NIS is with their english translations. That always sells me!

Let's hope he can/does bring over Tengai Makyou 4 for PSP. Playing that was like playing a WD game in japanese. Vic HAS said that he likes the PSP....

LegatoB

Pellham said:
Using a random japanese word in english is sooo weeabooish. :(
I resisted the urge to use almost that exact choice of words. I'm pleased that another was not so tactful! :D

A serious question to Vic - what exactly is it your company is going to do to seperate itself from the pack? If your plan is to basically be Working Designs, Part 2, with more emphasis placed on the pointless pack-in extras, badly written localization and hiring the worst voice actors you can possibly find, what exactly makes you think this is going to be any more succesful than it was during this past console generation? Given that it's been shown that you will continue to pursue the release of games despite SCEA indicating that they will never, ever allow you to release them, over a period of years, and even when the game you wish to release is really not very good and your fight ends up eventually running your company into the ground, what makes you believe anyone is going to support your newest venture? Have you perhaps learned when to pick your battles? Does anyone actually take you seriously anymore outside of a few die-hards on Internet message boards?

Top Bottom