• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

Shitty dig at Hello Games, they've shown better post-release support than any other dev this generation, still 100% free, and they haven't kept quiet in any way, trailers before every update and the waking titan thing was huge. The game is great now too, so far I'm almost 300 hours in, other games will struggle to get me to spend even 30 hours playing them.

Anyhow, I hope it works out for the Cuphead devs, the game is extremely well made.
Lmao no they have not.

mas8705

Wtf at the amount of people that thought this game would bomb. It was always gonna be a hit from the first time it was shown. Amazingly stylistic platformer. Wtf were people drinking?

Don't know what drink you would call the "Anti-Xbox" honestly... Maybe something that's "Anti-Mountain Dew" perhaps?

Regardless, if I had to take a guess, (and as I said on top the prior page), it probably was that because the game was being due "Exclusively" with Microsoft and for how long the production was on this game that plenty of crow eaters honestly thought that this game was going to be dead on arrival. Bare in mind that when was the game first announced? 2014. And since that time, you could argue that we didn't see much in terms of progress for the game and how it was usually around E3 or other events promoting the indies that we actually did see Cuphead. It got to a point where with what little that we heard, that usually would spell "disaster."

The awesome thing here though is that the reason why it took so long was not only because of how long it took to draw literally everything that we saw in-game, but they took the extra steps to make sure that there was more to the game than just having it be a "Boss Rush" (while making sure the platforming Run 'n Gun wasn't seen as a cheap cash in addition).

Add that in with how people love to say "Microsoft has no exclusives this year!" and how some people just want to see games fail for the sake of failing and you basically have your cocktail. I just so glad that the game had such a successful launch that it did and they took those extra steps to ensure that Cuphead's launch was a successful one.

I'm really happy for the devs! I can only imagine how hard it must have been for them. The artists deserve praise for getting this game attention, the designers deserve praise for sticking to their vision of the game, and the programmers deserve praise for making an amazingly fun game to play.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will soon enough.

Head.spawn

Maybe it was a bad idea for those other indie devs with similar games to pass on Xbox because of demographic mismatch and because Xbox gamers hate indie games and 2d shooters,

Hahaha.

My favourite is at 14:16. Dude got so pissed he snapped his keyboard in half. lol.

I don't watch a lot of streams, but after beating cuphead I thought I'd see how other people are doing.

Some are cool, even when getting killed over and over, but a few can't keep their frustrations in check and bash the game for 'bad coding' and 'inconsistency'. Fun to watch them squirm.

EdgeXL

Maybe it was a bad idea for those other indie devs with similar games to pass on Xbox because of demographic mismatch and because Xbox gamers hate indie games and 2d shooters,

I just might put my 2D shooter on Xbox One even though I don't have the right compiler for Game Maker yet.

Fredrik

Not really. Maybe if you don't play other games you might think that but nothing touches Halo 5 , dying light or Gears 4
Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I was refering to how the article say that Hello Games has been incredibly silent after not meeting the expectations. They were at first but then they started releasing huge updates, hyping them with well-made trailers plus doing the waking titan ARG, even talking at GDC. The article is simply out of touch with reality at this point, it's like the author has been living under a rock for the last 10 months or so since before the foundation update.

Shitty dig at Hello Games, they've shown better post-release support than any other dev this generation, still 100% free, and they haven't kept quiet in any way, trailers before every update and the waking titan thing was huge. The game is great now too, so far I'm almost 300 hours in, other games will struggle to get me to spend even 30 hours playing them.

Anyhow, I hope it works out for the Cuphead devs, the game is extremely well made.

Ah yes. Those paragons of post-release support.

Remind me: why didn't Yacht Club Games ever deliver on those three free campaigns they promised? What scum!

Bydobob

Lovely story, delighted it paid off for the brothers.

None of it should be a huge surprise though. The reaction of everyone I've shown the game to has been astonishment. "What, they actually make games like this?" Some works just capture the imagination and appeal beyond their audience. Cuphead is only going to get bigger.

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.
So today is interesting.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So today is interesting.

Big changes to Microsoft in that time, though.

Fascinating to see the OP, three years later. As they probably have done very well for themselves, it was worth it, but it does make you wonder how many developers do the same to chase a dream, but never get that kind of success? And probably people telling them how shit they are, even if not deserved.

Rough business.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Cuphead is an excellent old school platformer. Every PS4 owner who didn't play the game already should do so. Well worth the $20.

Top Bottom