• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We still all collectively call them the “Start” and “Select” buttons, right?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
They're just Start/Select, not acknowledging any silly renamings.
Even adult friends always mix up RT and RB, because for them both are triggers.
For me, those are R1 and R2, no matter what brand controller I'm using. I play on PC, so that's not even coming from any particular familiarity with PlayStations.

Nope. They are "options" (or sometimes "menu" depending on how the game uses it) and "share". The PS4 managed to change me. Why wouldn't you use the correct term? I mean, when start/select were introduced 40 years ago, we didn't continue to call it the "run button".

Solidus_T

I still sometimes say "start" for "options" but for the touchpad, there's touchpad left and right so I just call it what it is. Also all shoulder buttons are L1/L2 and R1/R2, the original dual shoulder buttons, because that makes much more sense.

cireza

We know what to call them is what I'm saying. They're called the "options button", "touchpad button" and "share button" we just didn't adapt to the change very well from 'start' and 'select' because we weren't used to it.
Someone who is not used the controllers certainly doesn't know how to call them when looking at the controller. And that's an issue.

Filben

Options and Share is easy on the PS. But how the fuck do you call it on the Xbox pad officially? I also always mix them up. I can't even decipher what the icons are supposed to be.

Aenima

On Dualsenses i call it Option and Share button. In other controllers Start, because.... thers not another "option".

Last edited:
think ive pressed a "select" button no more than 3 times ever.

"share" button is somehow even more useless.

just give me a "skip" button instead.
start game, press skip, go right to game's main screen.

Luckily I use to play alone, so I don't have to call them anything. Internally it's Start and Select though.

EDIT: and face buttons are B (down), A (right), Y (left) and X (up) no matter what console I'm playing on. Index buttons and triggers are L1, L2, R1 and R2 though. I think it's the same standard Retroarch chose to adopt, which is perfectly logical to me.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I... Often pressing share button on ps5 ... Which is very annoying...

And the start/option button position is awkward imo.

And (-) button is too small to not accidentally tilting analog instead

Crayon

Yes. On ps controllers, the select button is permanently for screenshots and streaming stuff. Kinda lame if you ask me.

But they have Select Button 2. The big poofy touch pad. I don't hate it.

Garibaldi

I use Options and Share nowadays. The touchpad has essentially replaced the select button so the largely pointless share button can have a spot.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm using it the same way. However, since Sony changed its name to 'share', I hate that button and the disgusting, laggy sharing screen that opens. Pressing select shouldn't pause the game; it should open an in-game menu. That's what I expect from this button!

mdkirby

Just something I was thinking over. Sure, we now have a “Share” button, and Playstation has their stupid little touch-pad (cool idea, but I’ve literally never seen it used in an interesting or organic way), but I feel like everyone I’ve ever really interacted with still uses “Start” and “Select” to refer to those extra, menu-centric buttons.

Anyone think we’ll ever see a more uniform naming scheme for those? What would even make sense? Nintendo’s Plus and Minus buttons seem easy enough to remember, but they’ve still never managed to trump the “Start” and “Select” names in my head whenever I see them.
Yeah I’d forgotten they even had another name.

As for the touch pad, I personally really like it and really miss it whenever I play an xbox game. Literally just as a map button 🤣. Like how much better would starfield have been if u could open the map at any point just by slapping around the middle of the pad.

reektann

Whenever a modern game flashes up the icon for the 'new' start or select buttons on either PS5 or Xbox, I have to double take for a second and look at the controller to work out which button is which - I end up taking random screenshots or videos by accident.

I miss start and select :/

Pretty sure they are just the "3 line button" and the "Share button" now

No one gonna call the "Share button" the "Select button" anymore because the "Share button" only takes screen shots and records videos

Similarly, no one gonna all the "3 line button" the "Start button" anymore because you never push it to start games anymore, most games still use it to pause or bring up the menu but neither of those things qualifies as "Start"

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yes. Old habit. Also I play retro quite often, so it never went obsolete for me.

You know they fucked up the name-symbol associations on modern controllers when most people using PS or Xbox don’t even know what the buttons are called. Plus, most games tell you to “press any button” to start because nobody knows the names of those buttons and there’s no clue as to which is on the left and which is on the right. It’s not intuitive at all, hence why any button has to serve as the Start button now.

Back then it was “Select - Start”. It soon became like left and right, impossible to mix up.

poodaddy

Yep. I genuinely don't even know what the Select button is called on my Xbox pad. Never did, don't care, it's Select.
I still do but my kids never know what buttons I’m talking about when I tell em to press them lol
Same here, but it's crazy to me that my daughter grew up without reference to the start select thing. When was the last controller that actually called them start and select, I genuinely don't know, it's been a while. My daughter has no reference to that period, and that's so odd to me lol.

No worries though, I recently got her hooked on SNES, (proof that it's objectively the best console library ever), and she's mastering that controller, so she'll be one of us soon.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Top Bottom