• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

Divius

I might have a new client who will require something along the lines of a easy to manage (he's not great with computers) webshop, could I achieve something like that with wordpress (+plugins) or should I look into a different CMS?

Might be a vague question but I don't have much information yet, it's just that I've never made a webshop before so I'm looking into that before I possibly accept the job.

JeTmAn81

I might have a new client who will require something along the lines of a easy to manage (he's not great with computers) webshop, could I achieve something like that with wordpress (+plugins) or should I look into a different CMS?

Might be a vague question but I don't have much information yet, it's just that I've never made a webshop before so I'm looking into that before I possibly accept the job.

Shopify or Squarespace. Shopify if in needs to be a fully featured Ecomm site. Very minimal coding required for either.

Sourcerer

Looking for a little bit of advice. I've been working for a company for almost 4 years now. Pretty much since straight out of university. In those 4 years I've went from my single page php script with terrible structure to pretty much configuring and running the main Linux server, building internal CRM systems using CakePHP framework, jquery/backbone and designing everything (not my forte, but I'm not bad). These internal systems deal with a few million pounds worth of business a year.

I'm also now converting the old system they had when I started which is created in a barely know MS Access alternative called AlphaFive. And this system was created and managed by someone who started with no coding knowledge and was able to bully his way into keeping his job for 7 years and still has none. So basically what I'm looking at is 7 years of worst case scenario legacy data with no design, everything in 1 flat table when it should have been a dozen, no integrity, lots of redundant data, many fields actually used for different things despite the name. It doesn't even have a solid primary key.....

Thing is I want to start looking for a new job, at least as leverage for a pay rise, but a lot of this is internal. What's the best way to communicate my experience if I when I can't actually share access to a lot of it? I don't have a portfolio website at the moment. Would the best course of action be to create one and perhaps write a blog about various challenges?

Somnid

Looking for a little bit of advice. I've been working for a company for almost 4 years now. Pretty much since straight out of university. In those 4 years I've went from my single page php script with terrible structure to pretty much configuring and running the main Linux server, building internal CRM systems using CakePHP framework, jquery/backbone and designing everything (not my forte, but I'm not bad). These internal systems deal with a few million pounds worth of business a year.

I'm also now converting the old system they had when I started which is created in a barely know MS Access alternative called AlphaFive. And this system was created and managed by someone who started with no coding knowledge and was able to bully his way into keeping his job for 7 years and still has none. So basically what I'm looking at is 7 years of worst case scenario legacy data with no design, everything in 1 flat table when it should have been a dozen, no integrity, lots of redundant data, many fields actually used for different things despite the name. It doesn't even have a solid primary key.....

Thing is I want to start looking for a new job, at least as leverage for a pay rise, but a lot of this is internal. What's the best way to communicate my experience if I when I can't actually share access to a lot of it? I don't have a portfolio website at the moment. Would the best course of action be to create one and perhaps write a blog about various challenges?

Just stick it on your resume, they'll ask you about it. But if you want to advertise a blogger blog talking about code and stuff is fine, a Github account for your public code is probably a good idea. As much as I think Linkedin is a scam some people will look at that too.

I've been seeing a lot of articles/single web pages recently that are set out like the following:

http://gnah.ko-opmode.com/

&

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

I've flirted with web development in the past, but have only tinkered with basic HTML and CSS within the last decade or so, so all this fancy shit is new to me. I'm assuming it's mostly a product of newer CSS bits and bobs?

Anyway, I'm interested in tinkering around with a design like this to see if there's some way I can make use of it, but obviously I've no idea where to start. Any one of anywhere I can find a decent tutorial or template for this kind of thing?

Cheers.

jesalr

I've been seeing a lot of articles/single web pages recently that are set out like the following:

http://gnah.ko-opmode.com/

&

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history

I've flirted with web development in the past, but have only tinkered with basic HTML and CSS within the last decade or so, so all this fancy shit is new to me. I'm assuming it's mostly a product of newer CSS bits and bobs?

Anyway, I'm interested in tinkering around with a design like this to see if there's some way I can make use of it, but obviously I've no idea where to start. Any one of anywhere I can find a decent tutorial or template for this kind of thing?

Cheers.

Those designs are all *fairly* easy too achieve. A lot of big divs, fixed backgrounds, and a tiny bit of skrollr (in the SB nation one at least) http://prinzhorn.github.io/skrollr/).

For me, I'd just have a dig around their source, just to figure out how things are laid out. Maybe use Instant Wireframe to have a visual representation of the underlying page structure.

I don't really have an issue with single page sites like Gnah, especially with recent SEO fixes for it, but Parallax scrolling is shit on even slightly older mobile devices and quite overdone in a lot of cases. Art taking precedent over usability and readability more often than not. Feels half a step away from the Flash laden bullshit of yore.

Art taking precedent over usability and readability more often than not. Feels half a step away from the Flash laden bullshit of yore.

Yeah, ironically enough I've loathed just about every implementation of this I've seen so far, yet it's stuck in the back of my head as something that might be useful to me (certainly not for usability reasons).

There's definitely a place for the former though, just not on things that people are going to be using regularly.

jesalr

I don't really have an issue with single page sites like Gnah, especially with recent SEO fixes for it, but Parallax scrolling is shit on even slightly older mobile devices and quite overdone in a lot of cases. Art taking precedent over usability and readability more often than not. Feels half a step away from the Flash laden bullshit of yore.

I always though parallax wasn't possible on mobile, since you can't update the DOM during scrolling.

I did a tiny bit of parallax for a fashion show (www.standrewsfashion.co.uk) I've been working with for the past three years, but it was all a hand-built solution because I wanted to learn how to do it personally.

smuf

I always though parallax wasn't possible on mobile, since you can't update the DOM during scrolling.

I did a tiny bit of parallax for a fashion show (www.standrewsfashion.co.uk) I've been working with for the past three years, but it was all a hand-built solution because I wanted to learn how to do it personally.

There's JavaScript workarounds to do parallax on mobile. Generally it's not worth the hassle since it breaks native scrolling and takes a heavy toll on performance.

Chariot

Blergh. I tried to use this dropdown menu. It works fairly well, but somehow it is set at the middle of the category.

jpRmGq4b0rlRs.png

http://idol.animedreammachine.com/index.php?p=library

One: it looks bad, two: I don't know what went wrong.
I don't know what I have to do. My only option is to make some css entries for every field and give them a hard negative margin-left, but that seems stupid.
Please help me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
if you add these styles it should fix it

Code:
#nav ul li {
    position: relative;
}

#nav ul li ul {
    left: 0;
}

the position:relative will keep the child node position relative to the parent and left:0 will push the child left

I don't know how robust this is. I just did it in Chrome dev console quick.

Chariot

I have yet another problem. This one is maybe impossible to solve, but I will ask anyway.
Same site. It gets dynamicly generated and is essentiell of three parts: header, content and footer. But I embedded the soundcloud player into the header. Naturally the song ends as soon as someone clicks any link. So I thought javascript would be the way to go. And well, ti works fine as long as there is no query. But, since most of the site needs queries and those queries are the core of it, I can't give up on it. But I also really want this music thing.
Somehow soundcloud made it work on their site You play song and can still move freely through the site while the song keeps playing.
I tried different approaches, but since my queries are php, this whole thing just don't work as intended.
I hoped that I could change the url with window.history.pushState and then reload the contentpart, but I guess that won't work.

Relevant parts:
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/teambuilder.phps
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/scripts/process.js
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/?p=teambuilder

Anyone any idea how I could handle it? Or do I have to drop the music idea. :(

edit: also, please excuse my terrible variablenaming and writing.

Maiar_m

I have yet another problem. This one is maybe impossible to solve, but I will ask anyway.
Same site. It gets dynamicly generated and is essentiell of three parts: header, content and footer. But I embedded the soundcloud player into the header. Naturally the song ends as soon as someone clicks any link. So I thought javascript would be the way to go. And well, ti works fine as long as there is no query. But, since most of the site needs queries and those queries are the core of it, I can't give up on it. But I also really want this music thing.
Somehow soundcloud made it work on their site You play song and can still move freely through the site while the song keeps playing.
I tried different approaches, but since my queries are php, this whole thing just don't work as intended.
I hoped that I could change the url with window.history.pushState and then reload the contentpart, but I guess that won't work.

Relevant parts:
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/teambuilder.phps
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/scripts/process.js
http://idol.animedreammachine.com/?p=teambuilder

Anyone any idea how I could handle it? Or do I have to drop the music idea. :(

edit: also, please excuse my terrible variablenaming and writing.

Sorry, I'm in a rush and I can't dive in your code much but your issue sonds like you could fix it with AJAX-based navigation.

Have a look at that example : http://html5.gingerhost.com/

It's pretty decent and it'll give your the main idea. If your header doesn't change anywhere on the site, there is no reason for you to reload the whole page at each request.

Chariot

Sorry, I'm in a rush and I can't dive in your code much but your issue sonds like you could fix it with AJAX-based navigation.

Have a look at that example : http://html5.gingerhost.com/

It's pretty decent and it'll give your the main idea. If your header doesn't change anywhere on the site, there is no reason for you to reload the whole page at each request.
Thank you, but I already using history.pushstate to have the site just reloading the content. My problem at this point are my forms, since they are working rightnow per GET and just using pushstate to change the url and then reloading the content don't work.

e.g.: after filling the teambuilder form the url looks like this:
idol.animedreammachine.com/?p=teambuilder&one=68&two=68&three=68&four=68&five=68&six=68&seven=68&eight=68&nine=68&color=smile
And then the php puts these into variables that builds the content under the form.

Question... I'm interested in making a website that is somewhat like Slickdeals but geared towards specific items for business uses. There is a lot of database driven actions that must occur in this website. Any recommended frameworks to use?

Calieum

Neo Member
Hi! Relatively new to GAF here.

I'm building a Beer Review site. I'm using WordPress. I've searched for a plugin that will let me rate posts (there are a ton!), however, none of them work the way I'd like.

So I'm looking for someone that can create the plugin! (You would be paid for it!) or,

If you guys happen to know of a good place to hire someone to write WordPress Plugins?

I have my BA in Game Art and Design... and while I dabble in programming, I know my limits, and this is too much for me! haha

I appreciate any advice/help GAF could offer here, thanks!

I'm looking at some tutorials for html5 and its about 3 yrs old so they used -webkit for google chrome and at the time the person said it's new and has to be there for compatibility. My question is if that is still the same now or did they change it?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking at some tutorials for html5 and its about 3 yrs old so they used -webkit for google chrome and at the time the person said it's new and has to be there for compatibility. My question is if that is still the game now or did they change it?

Some stuff is still vendor prefixed. What were you looking at? 3 years is quite a long time so it's probably safe to say its either stable or legacy code which will be removed in the future.

You can use a site like http://caniuse.com to help find out when it got unprefixed

It's never coming.

Actually, it (John Ducketts Javascript & Jquery) is coming june 30th.

"For all of you who have waited so patiently for Jon Duckett's JavaScript & jQuery, I have good news. The book is printed, bound, and done. 2 large trucks are moving the books to Wiley's warehouse where by next week, we'll be shipping them to Amazon and other US retailers as well as our global sites for retailers around the world. US Amazon customers might see their copies shipping as early as the end of next week. I've got the first copy off the press from in my office and I hope when you see yours, you'll agree that Jon outdid himself and this was worth the wait. Jim Minatel John Wiley & Sons"

So I just received a dvd full of photos from a client. Its really frustrating trying to look through them in preview since the files are so big. Is there a program I can use that will make viewing my images easier and less intensive on my machine?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So I just received a dvd full of photos from a client. Its really frustrating trying to look through them in preview since the files are so big. Is there a program I can use that will make viewing my images easier and less intensive on my machine?

if I'm reading that right you're probably better off just copying them to your hdd. It's the read time on your drive that's making it so slow.

"For all of you who have waited so patiently for Jon Duckett's JavaScript & jQuery, I have good news. The book is printed, bound, and done. 2 large trucks are moving the books to Wiley's warehouse where by next week, we'll be shipping them to Amazon and other US retailers as well as our global sites for retailers around the world. US Amazon customers might see their copies shipping as early as the end of next week. I've got the first copy off the press from in my office and I hope when you see yours, you'll agree that Jon outdid himself and this was worth the wait. Jim Minatel John Wiley & Sons"

About damn time. Excited for this.

kodecraft

Thanks for this.

scurker

Some stuff is still vendor prefixed. What were you looking at? 3 years is quite a long time so it's probably safe to say its either stable or legacy code which will be removed in the future.

You can use a site like http://caniuse.com to help find out when it got unprefixed

There's actually very few things that you really need to prefix anymore: http://css3please.com/. Aside from that, with a tool like autoprefixer you don't really need to be concerned with writing prefixes anymore. Autoprefixer automatically pulls values from caniuse so it'll stay up to date.

I recently got laid off from my job and started working as an independent contractor. I have a few project lined up through friends, but can anyone give me some advice on how they've been able to rope new work consistently?

I'm lucky that I have a lot of good connections, but more incite/advice never hurt. Thanks!

hachi

Banned
Anyone here using MongoDB or other "NoSQL" databases?

I've found them to help tremendously in creating flexible applications more quickly, since they're based on storing JSON documents or objects instead of rectangular table data, yet combined with a speed of querying and aggregating that puts them well beyond the old methods of document-based storage, like all the forms of XML that once plagued development (I certainly put in my time over the years with XSLT and all that nonsense).

jokkir

I can't wait to use Polymer. But with that said, is there any way to develop on it using Windows? Looks like the tutorial only uses Linux to test out the pages and my pages didn't seem to load too. Although I'm a bit tired so I probably went over some things.

ShadiWulf

I can't wait to use Polymer. But with that said, is there any way to develop on it using Windows? Looks like the tutorial only uses Linux to test out the pages and my pages didn't seem to load too. Although I'm a bit tired so I probably went over some things.

You can install bower on windows, it's just a bit tricky, but not super hard. I know how you feel though. I do my work on a Windows machine when it feels like everyone in the web development world uses a Mac now. Makes me want to install Linux again, but then i don't have access to illustrator or photoshop.

http://bower.io/

here is bower instructions, you gotta install other packages as it says on that page before you install bower. like i said it's a bit tricky on windows, but i'm sure you can figure it out if you really want to.

Somnid

Polymer is just a bunch of HTML imports. Theoretically you just import the things you need with a link tag.

ShadiWulf

So I did some reading on Polymer and you don't have to use Polymer to get most of the features that were being shown off in that video. Mozilla has a library called x-tags which is much less bloat and all Vanilla JS. Which is all good things, IMO.

Polymer does have things that x-tags doesn't. but if Mozilla says they built x-tags for a bloat free library

X-Tag is built upon W3C Web Component polyfills provided by the Polymer project. We use Custom Element, HTMLImports, and Mutation Observers. We also included a few other polyfills to ensure IE 9 compatibility.

http://x-tags.org/index

Which polyfills are included in X-Tag?

We chose to include HTMLImports, Custom Elements, and HTMLTemplate polyfills because we feel they provide you the most benefit without the bloat. You can use the other polyfills from Polymer if you want to and everything will function as normal. We simply wanted to minimize X-Tag's footprint and focus on Custom Elements.

http://x-tags.org/blog

Lindbergh

I'm wondering which would be more worthwhile:

- learning full stack JavaScript
- learning Ruby On Rails

Anyone care to share some insight?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm wondering which would be more worthwhile:

- learning full stack JavaScript
- learning Ruby On Rails

Anyone care to share some insight?

Full stack javascript is where I'm at, and it's a lot of fun with a lot of opportunities. It gets hard, but there are a ton of libraries that are out there right now, and tons down the track that will potentially make it an even more valuable language. I see growth in Javascript for at least another couple of years.

I don't know how Ruby is doing right now to be honest. Not badly, at least.

I am having a huge problem with AngularJS using the command: npm install

The installation froze so I had to close the Terminal.

Now when I tried to use "npm install" again, I get this error message:

npm ERR! install Couldn't read dependencies
npm ERR! package.json ENOENT, open '/Users/tripham/angularjs_projects/package.json'
npm ERR! package.json This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.
npm ERR! package.json npm can't find a package.json file in your current directory.

npm ERR! System Darwin 13.2.0
npm ERR! command "node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "install"
npm ERR! cwd /Users/tripham/angularjs_projects
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.29
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.14
npm ERR! path /Users/tripham/angularjs_projects/package.json
npm ERR! code ENOPACKAGEJSON
npm ERR! errno 34
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR! /Users/tripham/angularjs_projects/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0