• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web Design and Development |OT| Pixel perfect is dead, long live responsive design

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So we have a client with a pretty small budget but wants something modern and responsive. So I know Bootstrap or Foundation would be great to rapidly build a good looking responsive site.

My question, is what is the best way to design a site that would be easy to integrate into Bootstrap or Foundation? I am purely a developer so I wouldn't be the one designing it either but would like to give our designer some guidelines to make the design work well with one of those frameworks? Any one have any suggestions? I know having the designer build to a grid is one thing but that is about it.

Every time I try and Google for some help I just seem to find general tutorials on how to build with those frameworks and not design for.

edit - Just came across this http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/tools/13-resources-to-design-for-bootstrap/ which is helpful

How many pages will it be and what is their actual budget? Are they also looking for a CMS?

SystemBug

designing a website atm, would love to get some feedback on it! still in photoshop phase

12371235225_a5c0e3da30.jpg

(just a thumbnail, click the link below for a better look)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/12371235225_299d698d8a_o.jpg

That's a lot of yellow and black.

Is that a mobile version or desktop?

While a fashion piece the giant graphic has no functional point so I'd use it as the background and overlay the other two blocks below it there.

The rotating carousel section looks disorganized.

Don't separate contact info into blocks. They aren't unrelated pieces of info and that gives that impression.

What is your H1? H2? etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I need to create a dynamic website for the first time.. More of a webapp where there are logins, people type in some safety reports, and they are then passed on to printable safety meeting notes, etc.

I'm barking up the php+MySQL tree... Am I on the right track for something like that? There's no easier solution?

SystemBug

Not sure why, but it's not loading for me. Any chance you could upload it somewhere else? Looking good from the thumbnail though.

hopefully this link works

http://s3.postimg.org/69thhhu5d/draftboxwebdesigndone.jpg

That's a lot of yellow and black.

Is that a mobile version or desktop?

While a fashion piece the giant graphic has no functional point so I'd use it as the background and overlay the other two blocks below it there.

The rotating carousel section looks disorganized.

Don't separate contact info into blocks. They aren't unrelated pieces of info and that gives that impression.

What is your H1? H2? etc.

That's the desktop version, and I'll take what you said into consideration. The carousel idea is pretty bad now that I look back at it and your right about the blocks aswell.

Wray

Just a question for web designers...

While I personally don't design web sites for a living, I have built numerous sites over the years for various projects/guilds etc. The last two I've built I specifically used Wordpress and I cant ever imagine not using it again. So my question is, what's the advantage of going straight old school and coding in a text file any more? Seems to me that something like Wordpress would be much faster and more efficient for like 90% of the websites out there.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

While I personally don't design web sites for a living, I have built numerous sites over the years for various projects/guilds etc. The last two I've built I specifically used Wordpress and I cant ever imagine not using it again. So my question is, what's the advantage of going straight old school and coding in a text file any more? Seems to me that something like Wordpress would be much faster and more efficient for like 90% of the websites out there.

Virtually every website I've made professionally in my career has to actually "do something." They're applications, they're adminstrative consoles, they're ecommerce, they're catalogs, they're all manner of software. The web goes well beyond "display content-managed posts."

gutshot

Wordpress actually is significantly less faster and less efficient than static web files, thanks to its database-driven structure. There are ways to mitigate that inefficiency, but for a simple site with only a handful pages, using static web files is a good way to go. There are a lot of tools that allow you to build a site in static web files, but still manage the content through a GUI dashboard. I've linked to a bunch of them in the OP.

Wordpress is great for what it is, a blogging tool that doubles as a fairly full-featured CMS, but I don't think it is optimal for 90% of the websites out there.

Plenty of sites are built around pulling from actual databases whether it's for commerce, or resource handling, or student/member information not content generated ones via blog posts.

Wordpress actually is significantly less faster and less efficient than static web files, thanks to its database-driven structure. There are ways to mitigate that inefficiency, but for a simple site with only a handful pages, using static web files is a good way to go. There are a lot of tools that allow you to build a site in static web files, but still manage the content through a GUI dashboard. I've linked to a bunch of them in the OP.

Wordpress is great for what it is, a blogging tool that doubles as a fairly full-featured CMS, but I don't think it is optimal for 90% of the websites out there.
There's such a thing as optimization through caching and other means. Wordpress sites can be pretty darn fast in the right hands.

Question: What do you folks recommend as a mockup/prototyping tool?

At the moment I'm using Pencil. Just wondering if there is something better?

Qasiel

For super-quick mockups/page design I've been using Penultimate on my iPad. It's not as pretty as Pencil, but great for those moments where inspiration strikes on the go (I use it a lot when I'm travelling).

Somnid

Our designers use Axure which I think is very expensive but they like it. I think before that they used Balsamiq.

Decided to finally get going on my website since I have time. I can buy a domain from anywhere right? I'm using hostgator for hosting but I can get the domain name I want for cheaper elsewhere. I'm not sure if it matters or not.

usea

Decided to finally get going on my website since I have time. I can buy a domain from anywhere right? I'm using hostgator for hosting but I can get the domain name I want for cheaper elsewhere. I'm not sure if it matters or not.
Yeah you can get one from anywhere. I recommend avoiding godaddy.

scurker

I like using Namecheap - and they have two factor authentication, which is nice.

They have terrible customer support and just generally do not give a shit once you give them money.

Yeah, that's shitty. I'll make sure not to use them for anything.

I like using Namecheap - and they have two factor authentication, which is nice.

I'm checking this out right now. So it looks like I can get my domain for a year for $8.99 plus WhoisGuard for free. Any catch? Hostgator basically wanted $25 for the same exact thing.

scurker

I'm checking this out right now. So it looks like I can get my domain for a year for $8.99 plus WhoisGuard for free. Any catch? Hostgator basically wanted $25 for the same exact thing.

The only downside is domain names are cheaper the first year. Subsequent years it goes up to about $15~, so still not too bad.

Falcon511

Banned
I am always using Dreamweaver for coding on my website. Always. I am sure there are better free options out there. I have an Adobe Cloud subscription because i do use a good portion of them on occasion from PS, IL, DW, Flash and Premier. Okay Flash i rarely use but its nice to have just in case.

Aside from that i do use the W3schools site but not often.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449319270/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This book was required reading for my web dev class and honestly it helps a lot. The best part about the book is the author does explain why its better to use some lines of code over another and what makes it best used for a situation.

HTML and CSS take time to learn, they are easy and have much depth to them. Sometimes it about trying certain techniques and seeing what works best for you.

I code my own website through Dreamweaver and host it through godaddy. Created a decent amount of content on there as well.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm adding my domain in cPanel as an Addon domain, but instead it creates a subdomain for my mother's website (I'm sharing hosting with her). So if I type in my website in the address bar, it says it can't be found but the subdomain is working instead. How do I make my domain a totally new website?

EDIT: Think I may have got it now. I read that you have to wait a bit for things to get going so I'll do that and see if it works.

I know this is the OT for web design specifically, but if I were looking to hire a graphic designer to help construct visuals (text headings, banners, etc.) for a Kickstarter page, would I be in the right place? I'm already aware of all the freelancer agencies and resources out there, but I'd rather try to find someone who I know is at least partially invested in the VG industry. I'll probably be looking for help designing a web page later, too, so I imagine I'd come back here for that as well--or am I completely wrong on that?

Thanks fellas.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They have terrible customer support and just generally do not give a shit once you give them money.

I've got all my stuff on godaddy, and I've never had issues. When my stuff is close to expiring they'll routinely call me up to remind me, make sure I still want the ones I might have parked, etc. I've had basically the opposite experience as you! Shame that makes me an idiot.

gutshot

I know this is the OT for web design specifically, but if I were looking to hire a graphic designer to help construct visuals (text headings, banners, etc.) for a Kickstarter page, would I be in the right place? I'm already aware of all the freelancer agencies and resources out there, but I'd rather try to find someone who I know is at least partially invested in the VG industry. I'll probably be looking for help designing a web page later, too, so I imagine I'd come back here for that as well--or am I completely wrong on that?

Thanks fellas.

You may be able to find some graphic designers in here. You'd certainly be able to find people that could help you build your website. But you may have better luck just starting a new thread in OT.

I was recently playing around with php, mySql, and wamp and made a quick local forum using some code I found on the Internet.

tumblr_n287rtU5J21s4tygbo1_1280.png

I'm not sure if PHP is a very reliable web builder or not but it does interest me(I only edited the code for learning and testing purposes, I am not the original writer of it).

I'm not sure if PHP is a very reliable web builder or not but it does interest me(I only edited the code for learning and testing purposes, I am not the original writer of it).

PHP is fine if you use a framework. If you start from scratch there are a lot of security risks you need to keep in mind, it's very easy to forget one of those on one of your many forms on a website, and by then the whole thing is vulnerable.

I'd say it's more like the old, crap language.

I never touched PHP until very recently, and coming into it brand new after having experience with other stuff...made me want to kill myself. I don't know why you wouldn't use ruby on rails or something.

gutshot

I never touched PHP until very recently, and coming into it brand new after having experience with other stuff...made me want to kill myself. I don't know why you wouldn't use ruby on rails or something.

Well, the main advantage that PHP has currently is that it's been around for so long that there are a lot of applications that run on it and lots of documentation if you are just starting out.

scurker

PHP is the old, reliable language, but Node.js is the new hotness.

Here is a nice overview comparing the two technologies: http://webapplog.com/php-vs-node-js/

Node is cool and all, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone just starting out. If you don't have a good grasp on callbacks and asynchronicity, you're going to end up with a lot of frustration. I definitely think node is the future, there's still just a little ways to go.

Php or Ruby would be better places to start, and they've both been around a little bit longer.

RoR is some baller ass shit but can be INCREDIBLY frustrating to debug.

Lombaszko

Hi guys, sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread and feel free to remove it, but are any of you aware of job posting websites that target developers specifically?
My company is looking to hire a Ruby on Rails developer and we're having the hardest time finding any qualified applicants. We've posted on Code4Lib, and Craigslist, and in January we did Dice, but that was $400 and only for a month. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi guys, sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread and feel free to remove it, but are any of you aware of job posting websites that target developers specifically?
My company is looking to hire a Ruby on Rails developer and we're having the hardest time finding any qualified applicants. We've posted on Code4Lib, and Craigslist, and in January we did Dice, but that was $400 and only for a month. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't know how well it works for employers, but StackOverflow Careers 2.0 is really good at targeting job ads to the people that they are relevant to. I'm not looking for a job right now really, but I still enjoy going through the listings that pop up on the side.

Lombaszko

I don't know how well it works for employers, but StackOverflow Careers 2.0 is really good at targeting job ads to the people that they are relevant to. I'm not looking for a job right now really, but I still enjoy going through the listings that pop up on the side.

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it a look!

I live in London so it's been dead easy but I've got my last two jobs from recruiters contacting me, found through LinkedIn. So maybe start with a healthy profile there?

Sourcerer

I've been thinking of learning Python lately. How practical is it for creating desktop programs? I'm sure I've used or am using some Python programs already, any well known ones I might look at as an example?

I'm mostly interested from a Web/Django perspective, but I figure being able to compile a desktop program could be useful.

I've got Uni + 3 years OO PHP/Javascript experience, should I be able to pick it up quickly? I'm still learning a lot every day. Especially Javascript lately, everytime I look back at 5-6 month code it looks like noob town.

leroidys

I've been thinking of learning Python lately. How practical is it for creating desktop programs? I'm sure I've used or am using some Python programs already, any well known ones I might look at as an example?

I'm mostly interested from a Web/Django perspective, but I figure being able to compile a desktop program could be useful.

I've got Uni + 3 years OO PHP/Javascript experience, should I be able to pick it up quickly? I'm still learning a lot every day. Especially Javascript lately, everytime I look back at 5-6 month code it looks like noob town.

Well then you don't want to use Python :) (It's an interpreted language).

I'm going through it right now, and it's very easy mostly, but there are a few things that give me trouble not coming from a strong OOP background. It's a very nice language to quickly do things though, especially tasks like string parsing which can be so tedious in other languages.

What's WebDevGAF's thoughts on multiple HTTP requests via CDN (like if I need jQuery, jQuery UI, and lodash) vs. one single request from a local server?

I'm mostly interested in using it with Django, I'm just not sure what's possible in a desktop environment with it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2933/an-executable-python-app

What's WebDevGAF's thoughts on multiple HTTP requests via CDN (like if I need jQuery, jQuery UI, and lodash) vs. one single request from a local server?

It's the way to go. Just be sure to have a fallback in case your CDN is somehow unreachable.

As someone with no formal OOP experience, but a lot of messing around with PHP/JQuery moving to python and django was revelatory. I absolutely love using it to build web apps and would definitely recommend it.

If you have a db background (which I do - my experience lies in SQL) it can be especially powerful as you can practically map out an entire application just with your models.

Top Bottom