• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Website xxx should be banned" and other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

There seems to be a disturbing trend around here to call for the banning/filtering out of certain words or websites when we don't appreciate or agree with the opinions of others.

I understand the gaming blog Kotaku was recently unblocked, but others (like Spòng, it's hard to tell them all when they filtered) remain for whatever reason.

When I joined GAF back in the EZboard days there was nothing like this. We were even allowed to say the f and c words too. I understand that this is a private site and the owners can do as they please, but I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind such a move ?

Also, surely GAF has no need to court a larger audience, and that with the current level of moderation swearing could be allowed, or should we be more grown up ? I'm of the opinion that swearing is an important part of any language, and can be used to great effect to convey a point.

As for the filtering of certain websites, I think that is a little strange and childish. Surely whoever is in control of this wordlist is either trying to protect our delicate sensibilities or is having a little "Na na we don't like you."

As I understand it, NeoGAF has some of the strictest moderation around, we have 3 emoticons, no signatures etc and kudos to those involved as it keeps the mouth breathers out. But it seems the list of things we cannot say, post, reference, talk about or link to is shrinking at an alarming rate.

I would hope that a certain level of open discussion could occur, rather than this thread be locked and sunk.

goldenpp72

I think it's a stupid trend only because people still post the information, and when you're trying to mention the site it just blocks, its stupid. If there was like a TOS update that said 'posting this will cost a ban' then maybe it would make sense..

As is its pretty childish, but I don't run things. I understand banning some cuss words due to the ads but otherwise I don't really get it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You should discuss these matters to the NeoGAF adminstration instead of creating a thread about it.

Lock this thread, mods.

I have always found it incongruous that many US based message boards use the line 'this isn't a democracy' when defending their actions.

S.pong was banned for a very, very good reason (too long of a story and the details are sketchy to me now; had to do with a ***** admin/writer saying Nintendo was picking up the tab for a E3 after-party, but then he never showed up, leaving BuddyC to pick up the tab). And so, I hope it remains banned for all eternity.

Burger

Wario64 said:
You should discuss these matters to the NeoGAF adminstration instead of creating a thread about it.

Lock this thread, mods.

Yeah, exactly what I didn't want. If I started a private discussion, it would be between me and somebody else. This is relevant to everyone here and everyone should get the opportunity to chime in.

The only problem I have with this is that GAF is the biggest gaming board on the internet. There is no competition, so why censor other sites? I understand why certain sites are blocked like ***** (although recently they've had a very good track record) but others simply make no sense.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Vyse The Legend said:
S.pong was banned for a very, very good reason (too long of a story and the details are sketchy to me now; had to do with a ***** admin/writer saying Nintendo was picking up the tab for a E3 after-party, but then he never showed up, leaving BuddyC to pick up the tab). And so, I hope it remains banned for all eternity.

That made for a hilarious thread, though.

White Man

Burger said:
As I understand it, NeoGAF has some of the strictest moderation around, we have 3 emoticons, no signatures etc and kudos to those involved as it keeps the mouth breathers out.

HAHAHAHA! You don't go to many forums, do you?

But it seems the list of things we cannot say, post, reference, talk about or link to is shrinking at an alarming rate.

Really? Because last I checked, things were being destricted, not restricted.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Mejilan said:
That made for a hilarious thread, though.

LYNX.GIF
?

Tiktaalik

I still really want an unhappy emoticon. I mean really, our emotions at GAF can only be happy, really happy, and laughing? Come on.

White Man

Burger said:
Compared to GAF several years ago, is that still true ?

No, but that's not what I said. The banned sites are banned for reasons. While I don't think the method of banning them discourages discussing their news items, it does give readers a fair red flag that the site in question tends to post shit, and the news should be taken with a grain of salt. Or ten.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Websites being banned serves as a warning to users. It says "this site is irreputable and most likely you will get flamed for posting a news story from this source".

i dont care about sites being banned; its just a way to tell that a site sucks, albeit a very childish way.

but filtering cuss words, i dont agree with at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bearillusion said:
I have always found it incongruous that many US based message boards use the line 'this isn't a democracy' when defending their actions.

The US has legally preserved rights because the US constitution is written from a natural rights perspective and thus those rights can be reasonably assumed to override the social contract.

Message boards, private residences, churches, etc. all have codes of conduct precisely because they are entirely opt-in and it is more than reasonable to place these restrictions on those who choose to opt-in.

If you think there's some overriding reason why it's somehow more valid to compare a message board and a country than a message board and a private service, feel free to let me know.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I for one fully support the banning of sites that constantly perpetuate bullshit rumors, that linkbait, etc etc.

Yeah all gaming sites do it to a degree, but some sites are literally nothing but trouble (sp.ong).

So if some people are voting to not have any banned sites, consider this an anti-vote. The mods should ban whatever sites they want.
As long as they don't ban my site. :)

Stumpokapow said:
The US has legally preserved rights because the US constitution is written from a natural rights perspective and thus those rights can be reasonably assumed to override the social contract.

Message boards, private residences, churches, etc. all have codes of conduct precisely because they are entirely opt-in and it is more than reasonable to place these restrictions on those who choose to opt-in.

If you think there's some overriding reason why it's somehow more valid to compare a message board and a country than a message board and a private service, feel free to let me know.

Did you just call me a convict?

commissar

While I agree with Burger on the banning of sites in the hard-to-read department, I can appreciate the need to show that certain sites post shit. Perhaps a simple word recognition script to add little salt-shaker emoticons to either side of the link would be better. At least people could then click the damn thing.

However, I personally think the main problem is people quoting whole posts in order to post a laughing emoticon.

THAT, in my opinion is the scourge overcoming GAF. It adds nothing to a discussion, is a simple "me too-ism", and just clogs up the servers with shit.

Burger said:
As I understand it, NeoGAF has some of the strictest moderation around, we have 3 emoticons, no signatures etc and kudos to those involved as it keeps the mouth breathers out. But it seems the list of things we cannot say, post, reference, talk about or link to is shrinking at an alarming rate.

If you want to see what GAF would be like without the restrictions you speak of, then visit OA, the anti-GAF. I think you'll appreciate things here a lot more after you do.

Burger said:
There seems to be a disturbing trend around here to call for the banning/filtering out of certain words or websites when we don't appreciate or agree with the opinions of others.

I understand the gaming blog Kotaku was recently unblocked, but others (like Spòng, it's hard to tell them all when they filtered) remain for whatever reason.

When I joined GAF back in the EZboard days there was nothing like this. We were even allowed to say the f and c words too. I understand that this is a private site and the owners can do as they please, but I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind such a move ?

Also, surely GAF has no need to court a larger audience, and that with the current level of moderation swearing could be allowed, or should we be more grown up ? I'm of the opinion that swearing is an important part of any language, and can be used to great effect to convey a point.

As for the filtering of certain websites, I think that is a little strange and childish. Surely whoever is in control of this wordlist is either trying to protect our delicate sensibilities or is having a little "Na na we don't like you."

I would hope that a certain level of open discussion could occur, rather than this thread be locked and sunk.

I agree..i think forums are for freedom of speech, when people (admins/mods in this case) start to take that away from you, its a bit degrading honestly ..it bugs me but i shrug it off because some people in life are just like that, simple as that

.. i myself was here with gaf back at the old EZboard as well, though i had a diffrent nick way back then but seriously, either the mods and admins here had their ... (of all things) their so called internet web based power privledges go straight to their heads like there aint no tommorow or one of the admin personal set a strict set of guidelines for all the other admins/mods here...who knows but i find it lame sometime honestly.

This is really the only forum i see that does this and this is the only forum i've been to where i see favortisim from mods and admins towards some regular members when they screw up while other members would be banned instantly. .... i just find that a bit on the lamish side some times.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
White Man said:
Everything's relative! Have you been to many other gaming forums?

Post that little gem from, where was it... gamespot?, you posted the other day...

Walshey

sp0rsk said:
Websites being banned serves as a warning to users. It says "this site is irreputable and most likely you will get flamed for posting a news story from this source".

So are you trying to tell me that the "Sp0rsk show" contains reputable opinions?

also when will NeoGAf have its first book burning?

sp0rsk said:

Why can't the websites' track record be enough of a red-flag? "****".com doesn't serve as a warning because it prevents us from knowing the source.

Besides, a new trend around here is to joking post "***". It's mainly apparent in the NPD threads where half of us know what "That other Ages" means, and the other half of the thread is people asking what ***-Age is.

Heh...I have probably 20 PMs in the last month from People Asking me what ***-Age is. It's a weird hypocrisy that most of GAF and its moderation is liberal, but we're being censored and "protected" like kids. I still love neogaf, but I miss what it used to be. :(

maus

Tisan said:
However, I personally think the main problem is people quoting whole posts in order to post a laughing emoticon.

THAT, in my opinion is the scourge overcoming GAF. It adds nothing to a discussion, is a simple "me too-ism", and just clogs up the servers with shit.

Srsly. Mass ban the giggly geeks.

Vyse The Legend said:
If you want to see what GAF would be like without the restrictions you speak of, then visit OA, the anti-GAF. I think you'll appreciate things here a lot more after you do.

There's a huge difference OA and the old GAF. HUGE. Terrible comparison. While OA has some uses and can be funny, it's largely polluted with racist remarks and lots of shemales. GAF was never like that...

unless...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
III. Moderation Policy

A. Moderation of NeoGAF is not by committee. All decisions with regards to thread closure and movement, permanent and temporary bans, and membership issues are made by the NeoGAF administration and are final. That being said, constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcome, provided they are directed to NeoGAF Administration via private e-mail

White Man

Blackace said:
Post that little gem from, where was it... gamespot?, you posted the other day...

In reference to some writer suing Midway because he thinks they took his idea, including characters, plot, and title.

me said:
TO ANYONE THAT BITCHES ABOUT THE QUALITY OF NEOGAF, I PRESENT TO YOU A COMMENT FROM GAMESPOT'S TALKBACK THAT ILLUSTRATES JUST HOW SWELL WE HAVE IT HERE:

Some Gamespot poster tard said:
I'd say this would carry some weight, but come on. If something like this was legitimately possible, couldn't Capcom sue themselves for making Resident Evil Remake or some such crap? No movies could ever have remakes because "the characters and plotline were similar." Personally, I think the guy is greedy, too. If he shopped his screenplay around for 3 years and no one accepted it, and Midway launched their game in 2004, how can he claim damages? It's not like he made the idea into a success.

Believe it or, folks, this is the Nobel Institute of gaming forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom