• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wednesday's ONM has new DKCTF info (Animal buddies, 3 secret levels per world)

L~A

Ok, full replay via Miiverse? Wow, that's pretty big... Maybe that's why the game was delayed in the first place.

Not sure how to feel about this.

3 Secret levels per world seems overkill.
I don't like stages that are too long to. Rather have some short diffucult and challenging level than e long one with lots of filler.

each level is about ten minutes long
world 4 is all water levels
somewhere around 9 levels per world

so... 90 minutes straight of water levels.
a3nE3TC.jpg

We know there is a minecart level, High Tide Ride, in that world. There will probably be an underwater rocketbarrel level, and hopefully some swordfish riding. I don't think variety will be a problem.

Ok, full replay via Miiverse? Wow, that's pretty big... Maybe that's why the game was delayed in the first place.

Nope. The game was done, they even said so in the GI interview a while back. Nintendo had nothing to release before Mario Kart 8 so they held this back.

Not sure how to feel about this.

3 Secret levels per world seems overkill.
I don't like stages that are too long to. Rather have some short diffucult and challenging level than e long one with lots of filler.

Pretty sure thats what they mean. The first time through you are searching for secrets and will have a few deaths, and it all ads up to 10 minutes.

Sendou

Nope. The game was done, they even said so in the GI interview a while back. Nintendo had nothing to release before Mario Kart 8 so they held this back.

I would like to see a link for that. If I remember correctly they just said they were using the time to add extra polish which would obviously include stuff like you quoted. Also I remember distantly Iwata saying that they need more time with the title when the delay was announced in a Direct.

Still no confirmation of whether rolling has a dedicated button or not. I'm not putting up with motion control bullshit again.

That is confirmed and the answer is that motion controller rolling is optional.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, could this mean that Miiverse will include video implementation in posts in the future? Can't think this is going to be a one-time-only feature...

I would like to see a link for that. If I remember correctly they just said they were using the time to add extra polish which would obviously include stuff like you quoted. Also I remember distantly Iwata saying that they need more time with the title when the delay was announced in a Direct.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...ropical-freeze-questions.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

"The game itself was almost complete, so we were able to take more time to polish areas not directly related to gameplay"

Of course they will use the extra time to polish it more since they have it, but what's Iwata gonna say? That they lied about the release date? Companies do that all the time, to make their lineup look more appealing, like Ubisoft did with Watch Dogs. There is no chance that they ever intended to release it on the same days as Assassins Creed 4.

daakusedo

Different routes in a level, I don't know what it mean in this case, never saw it in the levels demoed, maybe that's how you go to secret levels.
And three secret levels per world, I would want to know how it works, if it's the same theme for all, like temple k and if we can expect the same difficulty but for three levels, which could be maybe too much and considerably extend the playtime.
And world 4 will not be just swimming I bet, it fits better for a mix with ground running than minecart and it did that too. I hope there is good ideas with these transitions.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ten minutes per level? That is seriously a lot for a game this. also, the secret exits make me even more hyped for this awesomness!

Sounds good. Alternate routes sound sweet.

Nintendo just needs to market the hell out of it now. Not just sit on its ass thinking it has another good product that will sell just because.

Frodo

Wait, could this mean that Miiverse will include video implementation in posts in the future? Can't think this is going to be a one-time-only feature...

Mario Kart 8 is going to use the replay feature, is it not? they mentioned you would be able to upload short videos, IIRC.

DrWong

Actually, MK8 was already annnounced with a similar feature (MK TV) and we also know you (as admin) can link youtube videos on Miiverse (and we can assume you can upload such videos on youtube). So, they just need to enable it. My guess is it will be on a per game basis only in order to avoid content/issues like for the PS4 ("look at my life" streams...).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I hope this is the case. It would be awesome.

As for the water levels, as I enjoyed the ones in Rayman I look forward to these too. 10 minutes are a lot for a level, let's see how this turns out.

Andrew.

Banned
Full replays recorded via Miiverse sounds great. It'll help a bunch for early purchasers that want the location of secrets that haven't been posted on the Net yet.

GOTY material? Sadly, that's laughable. This game will be cast to the wayside within a week of its release.

And as long as the music for the water levels is awesome, I don't care how long I gotta be there for.

Somnid

10 minute levels? That's got to be with deaths and retries, I can't imagine there's 10 minutes of content. Certainly not for a speed-run game. Everything else sounds great.

MrBadger

One of my favourite things in DKCR was the sense of progression between certain levels, like in the beach world, when one level has a storm brew, and the level after is set once the storm's gotten much worse and you have to dodge the huge waves. I'm glad that Tropical Freeze sounds like it has plenty of things like that in it.

each level is about ten minutes long
world 4 is all water levels
somewhere around 9 levels per world

so... 90 minutes straight of water levels.
a3nE3TC.jpg

Just try to remember these are Donkey Kong Country water stages with David Wise music

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Glad I'm not alone in this. Long levels tends to overstay their welcome...

I like both depending on the game (Collectathon levels can't be 2-3 minutes short, you need some space for exploration), but for a game that has speed run-goals, especially if they are as demanding as DKCR's levels of a length of 10 minutes tend to become a chore. Playing Sonic Lost World 3DS right now and even though there are quite a few well-designed levels in there (which doesn't make it a good game, mind you, there are also quite a few horrible ones and the mechanics are way to sloppy), they are so long, that S-ranking the hardd versions of the levels (which is basically just a speed-run)is more annoying than fun - even S-ranking the normal versions, where speed is only one of the important factors, gets annoying, because small mistakes over a course of 10 minutes can ruin a run that has lasted for about 8 minutes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

they announced this feature for MK8, but this will be the first game to implement it, right?

Effect

Damn I'm finally fully in. This all sounds great. Don't know about an entire underwater world though. That can easily go wrong in a number of ways. Hmm.

Being able to upload full replays on Miiverse is great. Here's hoping this like the stamps is something Nintendo will be pushing in as many games as possible. They can't be left out of the streaming/uploading video push. This isn't the same thing but it's in the same arena for the most part and is at least something.

Semajer

One of my favourite things in DKCR was the sense of progression between certain levels, like in the beach world, when one level has a storm brew, and the level after is set once the storm's gotten much worse and you have to dodge the huge waves. I'm glad that Tropical Freeze sounds like it has plenty of things like that in it.

The magazine does praise that fact that TF has a sense of almost story-like progression with the way that the stages lead into each other.

Top Bottom