• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wednesday's ONM has new DKCTF info (Animal buddies, 3 secret levels per world)

Semajer

not a single stage shown so far has been 10 minutesn without dying. Not a single one

Stop taking dev time estimations seriously

It's not even dev time estimations, it's the magazine staff. We know that game journalists can be downright AWFUL at games. I'm quite sure that the 10 minute level times is referring to the first playthrough of levels, where you will die over and over again, and spending time searching for secret areas.

I know some levels in DKCR took me far longer than 10 minutes, and I'm pretty good at platformers.

It's not even dev time estimations, it's the magazine staff. We know that game journalists can be downright AWFUL at games. I'm quite sure that the 10 minute level times is referring to the first playthrough of levels, where you will die over and over again, and spending time searching for secret areas.

I know some levels in DKCR took me far longer than 10 minutes, and I'm pretty good at platformers.

This. Especially if they have something along the lines of the temple levels. Most of those were absolutely brutal the first time through.

Oh my fucking god, all those details sound awesome to me. Can't wait to play this game. I just expect they keep rewarding players in the time trial with medals or something like that, not like in Super Mario 3D World/Land.

Gartooth

Wish we'd hear soon which animal buddies made it. I'm guessing Rambi, Squawks, and Enguarde but I'd really love for Squitter to return.

qko

each level is about ten minutes long
world 4 is all water levels
somewhere around 9 levels per world

so... 90 minutes straight of water levels.
a3nE3TC.jpg

I can imagine the folks at Retro thinking: You want water levels? We'll give you water levels

Neiteio

Reading the update in the OP, it sounds like the animal buddies are minimal in this game. I wonder if the next DKC will have a huge focus on animal buddies, since it sounds like they had ideas for them, or at least a desire to use them more, which didn't pan out with Tropical Freeze.

I wonder if that "3 unlockable levels per world" includes the locked levels that already were in DKCR (those that you need to buy a key in Cranky shop in order to open them). That would be dissapointing, since it would mean a total of 50 levels instead of 60, more or less.

maxcriden

all i need to know if there are more than six islands, it's my only minor gripe with this game now

I guess I'm not too worried about it. Here's hoping there are more than six, if I had to guess there's at least (DKCR 3D spoilers)
one unlockable bonus world, as there was in DKCR 3D. I realize DKCR Wii only had one final unlockable level, but hopefully they got the idea from DKCR 3D that it was cool to have a whole final world unlock when you beat the K levels.
Granted, if the overall game has fewer levels than DKCR, it's hard to see how that wouldn't be disappointing, but hopefully it will have at least as many levels, and either way it should be a lot of fun.

Kouriozan

What if, when you finish World 6, DK island get back to normal and tada! New worlds!
That would explain why they don't want to spoil it. Nintendo hate spoilers.

Well coming off other recent Tropical Freeze threads saying otherwise Kenji Yamamoto reconfirmed, time to re-engage my ridiculous soundtrack expectations of DKC2 meets Metroid Prime. I guess Scott Petersen must be the man behind the wonderfully satisfying enemy bouncing sound effect.
All sounds good to me, just another month to go.

not a single stage shown so far has been 10 minutesn without dying. Not a single one

Stop taking dev time estimations seriously
I'm convinced all dev time estimations are made under the assumption the player ambles around slowly poking their nose into every possible crevice and die a lot, it would go a way to explain the frequent blown up playtime estimates.

Sounds like instead of rocket barrel world they substituted it with all underwater world. Water levels were about the only good thing in the original DKC trilogy so I'm fine with that. Although I'm curious how Retro will do it since in the original series the water levels were a lot more expansive and focused on exploration meanwhile Retro focuses more on precision and tight platforming. I always thought water levels would work well if they paired you with enguarde the whole time so you can move around quickly.

Semajer

So video replays? First video uploads to Miiverse? Or is it uploading to somewhere else?

It doesn't say. It just says that Retro made use of using Wii U connective features, that the Wii wasn't capable of, and that players can upload times and full replays for friends and seething admirers to check out, and learn from.

daripad

Sounds like instead of rocket barrel world they substituted it with all underwater world. Water levels were about the only good thing in the original DKC trilogy so I'm fine with that. Although I'm curious how Retro will do it since in the original series the water levels were a lot more expansive and focused on exploration meanwhile Retro focuses more on precision and tight platforming. I always thought water levels would work well if they paired you with enguarde the whole time so you can move around quickly.

It really need to be varied there because basing an entire world around it would make it boring if the mechanics there were bad. I hoe they are good and not the typical hard to move thing going on some underwater levels in other games. I don't want those levels to be slow paced, I wish they managed to make them fun to play.

Well it's not going to be an entired based underwater world. Like there has been said, it is already confirmed a minecart level in that world, for instance. In addition, water levels in Tropical Freeze seem to mix ground and swimming sections (just like that wrecked ship segments that were shown in Dixie Trailer), so I wouldn't worry too much. And let's not forget that Retro was capable of making a minecart-rocket barrel based world in Returns and every single level of that world was amazingly brilliant, varied an unique.

So basically what this says is that once again only Rambi returns as a playable animal buddy and that an animal buddy blowout will be the selling point of the third Retro DKC game, much like Dixie and Cranky this time around.

Ssshhh no sanity only hype now

They already served a purpose: making you cry with rage when you were 0.1seconds away from the Shiny Gold medal.

image.php

Fiktion

Banned
So basically what this says is that once again only Rambi returns as a playable animal buddy and that an animal buddy blowout will be the selling point of the third Retro DKC game, much like Dixie and Cranky this time around.

Ssshhh no sanity only hype now

I'm expecting probably just Rambi and Engaurde this time around. Engaurde seems a must.

Having just blitzed through the original DKC in a single sitting I'm going to have to go against these claims of DKC1 having amazing water levels, it has mostly decent but plain water levels with one stand out in Croctopus Chase and one awful cheap shot bonanza in Poison Pond.
Unfortunately Aquatic Ambience alone doesn't automatically elevate these stages to the next echelon of water stages in platformers.

I'm pretty confident that Retro will blow Rare out of the water on this point.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm not so sure that's a confirmation of animal buddies or not. He could mean more than nothing. Obviously I hope Enguarde makes it in with all these fancy new water levels though.

Do we need animal buddies though? The level design of DKCR was so fast and frenetic it didn't really support them. I think there were only 2-3 levels with Rambi anyways, and it wasn't anything special.

The rocket barrel may as well be an animal buddy.

Personally, I'd be happy with Enguarde the swordfish for the water levels.

I feel like there's so much of this game we havn't seen yet.

Lunar15

I'd love Tanabe/Retro to work on a zelda game. I think Tanabe has a really great sense of humor and wonder that he injects into the games he helps out on.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd love Tanabe/Retro to work on a zelda game. I think Tanabe has a really great sense of humor and wonder that he injects into the games he helps out on.

Case in point:

Iwata
Specifically what kind of AI did you build into the game?

Tanabe
For example, there is something similar to playing tag. When we were children, I'm sure everyone at one time took a treasured item from a friend and ran away from them, passing it to other friends. We had that kind of element inserted into the game's opening.

Iwata
Even though the people at Retro Studios are making this game very seriously, they had to include such a thing because a Japanese man came from the Orient to tell them so! (Laughs)

Tanabe
Yeah, there was some resistance at first, but in the end, we succeeded in getting Samus to play tag with three Space Pirates. But as far as nonsense ideas that could be instantly recognized as stupid, I made efforts not bring them up. Of course, ideas like having a tub fall on Samus's head, like in Chibi Robo, were not adopted into the game.

Tabata
When Tanabe-san talks about these kinds of ideas, he really looks happy. Even when the people at Retro are seriously opposing them! (Laughs) They said, "Please stop saying such things!" because they don't fit into the cool science fiction universe of Metroid.

Iwata
But I'm just like Tanabe-san. I love playful ideas. It's just irresistible, inserting something a little playful into a really serious world.

Tanabe
For example, during a battle, in certain conditions, an enemy Space Pirate is sucked up towards the ceiling. However, because the Space Pirate has no intention of just dying, in order to avoid flying off, he desperately tries to cling on to something. Then, if Samus shoots the hand with which the Pirate is hanging on for his life, he gets sucked up and hits the sealing with a thud. After this, the target which you need to shoot drops down for you to see… When I tried suggesting this sequence to the people at Retro, at first they just gave me a bitter smile. (Laughs) But it seems that when we actually put it in the game and had people try it out, the reception was very good. I think they understood the appeal of the idea.

Iwata
I guess after that, they must have realized that the serious feeling of the game could withstand a playful scenario like that.

http://www.metroid-database.com/mp3/Iwata_Asks_Metroid_Prime_3_index4.php

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Only underwater levels in world 4?! Not sure I like that, they better have awesome music and of course enguarde to make them bearable

Water levels seem a lot fast in TF than the original trilogy. Also, you can us Dixie's hair as a propellor to swim through water quickly.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I guess I'm not too worried about it. Here's hoping there are more than six, if I had to guess there's at least (DKCR 3D spoilers)
one unlockable bonus world, as there was in DKCR 3D. I realize DKCR Wii only had one final unlockable level, but hopefully they got the idea from DKCR 3D that it was cool to have a whole final world unlock when you beat the K levels.
Granted, if the overall game has fewer levels than DKCR, it's hard to see how that wouldn't be disappointing, but hopefully it will have at least as many levels, and either way it should be a lot of fun.

I have very few doubts it won't be a brilliant game, but fewer levels with more emphasis being put on replayability, which I rarely enjoy, would be just a tiny bit disappointing. I want this game to be the complete package, one massive set of levels with tons of content. Expecially now that SM3DW has set a new paradigm for extra worlds. I'm there day one, but still

maxcriden

I have very few doubts it won't be a brilliant game, but fewer levels with more emphasis being put on replayability, which I rarely enjoy, would be just a tiny bit disappointing. I want this game to be the complete package, one massive set of levels with tons of content. Expecially now that SM3DW has set a new paradigm for extra worlds. I'm there day one, but still

I hear you bro. We'll see what happens, fingers crossed for more DK excellence!

GameXplain is making a coverage of the game next week:

Heads-up: Expect a banana-horde amount of DKC Tropical Freeze coverage next week based on our 4-hours of play-time!

Anyway shouldn't it be an official thread where we could discuss every new detail about this game? I would make it, but I'm still a junior so I can't create threads.

Synth

Did anyone else manage read the title and get excited to see some Donkey Kong Capture the Flag?...

no?.... ok

Fiktion

Banned
GameXplain is making a coverage of the game next week:

Anyway shouldn't it be an official thread where we could discuss every new detail about this game? I would make it, but I'm still a junior so I can't create threads.

No OTs until two weeks before release.

The coverage is today:

We played Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for 4-hours! Come back in a few hours at 10am PT to watch our full video preview--you won't want to missi it!

So it won't coincide with the Nintendo Direct this time, folks

Rich!

Rambi was in DKCR, wasn't he?

I want Engaurde, Squitter, Squawkes and snakey dude. the elephant can fuck right off though, useless bastard

nullset2

OT title > Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze |OT| FUCKING GLOBAL WARMING

Also,

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze |OT| IT'S ON LIKE FUCKING DONKEY KONG
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze |OT| Feature Length EXPAND DONG

Top Bottom