• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 73 - 08/12/2011 - SHANE (thats one m one g)

Sneds

Osietra said:
I heard him on the G Lee3 podcast, and he basically came across as a bit of a dick, and was mean to Cannata which was unforgivable.

Do you have a link to that podcast?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can't believe Garnett is still arguing that what people do in the privacy of their own game affects his enjoyment simply because he knows that some people bought their shit. It sounds like the same line of thinking employed when people argue that gay marriage will somehow ruin or devalue their straight marriages.

Garnett, I understand that you want people to appreciate the game in the same way you did, but you have to remember that lots of people will, even if the option to buy stuff is there. Probably millions of people! And it doesn't matter if some people choose to play another way if they think that's what will be more fun for them. You don't get to dictate the "proper" way to enjoy the game. And dictate is probably too strong a word, but your reaction really seems to be driven by the idea that there's a correct way to appreciate the game, you know that way, and you think it would be best if other people played that way too.

Jeff's analogy to gamefaqs was excellent. Do I agree that just using a guide right off the bat is a bad way to play a game? I do. Do I care if someone else does it? No. And frankly, I'm very glad gamefaqs exists so that when I do feel the need to look something up, it's there. My frustration is minimized and my enjoyment is maximized. And I don't turn to gamefaqs if the whole point of the game or a particular puzzle is the satisfaction of solving it. I turn to gamefaqs when I'm stuck for some stupid, irrelevant reason and I want to get back to enjoying the game as best I can.

FStop7

Banned
I'm surprised there isn't more El Shaddai talk on GAF. I just tried the demo and it's pretty intriguing. The combat reminds me of Bayonetta and there's also a touch of Prince of Persia to the animation and characters.

dLMN8R

Are these guys really that incapable of understanding how NPD works?

Catherine's sales are 200k worldwide. NPD numbers are only North America. It's not difficult to figure out why the discrepancy is there, and it's not solely because of "shipped vs. sold".

Fuck, this misunderstanding is the perfect example for why NPD stopped giving out actual numbers in the first place - because "analysts" still don't seem to actually understand at all what those numbers represent.

Paznos

Catherine's sales are higher than 200k worldwide considering it's sold 250k in Japan alone and hasn't even been released in Europe yet.

Goldmund

dLMN8R said:

Catherine's sales are 200k worldwide. NPD numbers are only North America. It's not difficult to figure out why the discrepancy is there, and it's not solely because of "shipped vs. sold".

Fuck, this misunderstanding is the perfect example for why NPD stopped giving out actual numbers in the first place - because "analysts" still don't seem to actually understand at all what those numbers represent.
Are you telling me the English words America and world do not correspond to the reflection of the same set of social, political, economic and psychological actualities? In the English language, the language we're using on this board, America is the world.

Massa

dLMN8R said:

"Atlus has revealed that it's puzzle-game-meets-relationship-anime Catherine has shipped over 200,000 copies in its first week on U.S. store shelves, according to the company."

"An Atlus PR representative confirmed the message referred to units sold to retailers, and not necessarily sold through to consumers."

Source

They brought up both points in the podcast.

Die Squirrel Die said:
How much handheld talk is there? Because Shane or no Shane I don't know if I can sit through anymore future of handheld gaming talk. It's become the new 'pontificating over the review' process.

Same. I'm getting bored with all the handheld talk these days. It is just going in circles at this point and is reminding me of all the sales talk at the beginning of this generation. Remember all the 360 vs PS3 sales talk back on 1up yours? That sure went out the window when the Wii won.

History has shown that hardware sales mean little assuming you get a nice audience buying games. Personally I'm not worried. I'm sure the Vita will do well in Japan and if the PSP didn't kill Aksys, Xseed, NIS and Atlus then the Vita certainly won't

I feel like there is a good conversation to be had in the handheld space but podcasts / commentators are so focused on picking winners and losers (simply because it is the easy way out) that they miss the more interesting discussion

Aaron

Guys, I love the show, so this comes from love, but I have to say... WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW SOMETHING STOP TALKING! The hemming and the hawing over the 'I don't knows' and 'I forgets' and then deciding on something that's actually wrong anyway is pretty annoying. You don't need to know everything. That's fine. Just move on. If you feel that it's really important, bring an ipad with you and look it up while someone else is talking.

Curufinwe

HamPster PamPster said:
FACT CHECKING KILLS PODCAST

/willsmith

He did a 180 on that on the last Tested podcast. It's really arguments based on factual errors that kill podcasts. Like Xav making stuff up about BFBC2 on Steam.

But I really enjoyed listening to this last episode while playing thru Tactics Ogre on my PSP. I hope Shane doesn't think he has to do all the Gran Pulse marks to be able to beat the final boss in FFXIII, because you don't.

Listened to this podcast, and had never heard of El Shaddai. After hearing them talk about it I downloaded the demo and after playing through it three times, I'm planning to buy it tomorrow.

Sometimes shilling works!

Whoompthereitis said:
Listened to this podcast, and had never heard of El Shaddai. After hearing them talk about it I downloaded the demo and after playing through it three times, I'm planning to buy it tomorrow.

Sometimes shilling works!

100% adoption of Shane as a the permanent 4th chair vindicated.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Can't believe Garnett is still arguing that what people do in the privacy of their own game affects his enjoyment simply because he knows that some people bought their shit. It sounds like the same line of thinking employed when people argue that gay marriage will somehow ruin or devalue their straight marriages.

Garnett, I understand that you want people to appreciate the game in the same way you did, but you have to remember that lots of people will, even if the option to buy stuff is there. Probably millions of people! And it doesn't matter if some people choose to play another way if they think that's what will be more fun for them. You don't get to dictate the "proper" way to enjoy the game. And dictate is probably too strong a word, but your reaction really seems to be driven by the idea that there's a correct way to appreciate the game, you know that way, and you think it would be best if other people played that way too.

Jeff's analogy to gamefaqs was excellent. Do I agree that just using a guide right off the bat is a bad way to play a game? I do. Do I care if someone else does it? No. And frankly, I'm very glad gamefaqs exists so that when I do feel the need to look something up, it's there. My frustration is minimized and my enjoyment is maximized. And I don't turn to gamefaqs if the whole point of the game or a particular puzzle is the satisfaction of solving it. I turn to gamefaqs when I'm stuck for some stupid, irrelevant reason and I want to get back to enjoying the game as best I can.

It angers me that no-one on the podcast cares to bring those Point of Views.

If the way someone else plays a game, diminishes your enjoyment of it.

I feed bad for you.

ultron87

The Del Rio mix should have included actual clips from the Garnett rant instead of just some of the stuff leading up to it.

Massa

Lord-Audie said:
It angers me that no-one on the podcast cares to bring those Point of Views.

If the way someone else plays a game, diminishes your enjoyment of it.

I feed bad for you.

Well, some people seem to care too much about what Garnett thinks on the topic, so what's the difference?

Besides, I think this video sums up Garnett's argument in a pretty much irrefutable way.

mik

mik is unbeatable
You mean you don't think it's totally awesome when he refers to them as "Ooooobi"?

oobi.jpg

Top Bottom