• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 73 - 08/12/2011 - SHANE (thats one m one g)

Off topic, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I finally watched The Totally Rad Show and I enjoyed it. I think I picked a bad day though, since I was pretty excited about 30 Minutes or Less and they ripped into it (along with most other reviewers).

Currently downloading this week's Weekend Confirmed!

Visualante said:
IX is a mess? That's the best game.

I agree!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Visualante said:
IX is a mess? That's the best game.
Yeah Shane is weird about IX.

I might describe games like X, XII and XIII as varying types of mess... IX is one of the most solid and well rounded, in fact (and it's not my personal favorite or anything).

Osietra said:
I don't understand why people spunk over Bettendorf, he seems to be a shill. Unless its irony?
i've always had an "the enemy of my enemy" kind of relationship with shane. he champions the "other" side of gaming more than most personalities, but his opinions on certain things just baffle my brain.

Garnett, you should totally get an XL. I mean, I understand waiting to see if the price drops (surprised it hasn't yet, actually) but despite being a "dead system," playing DS games on it is indeed glorious. I have a 3DS but never play DS games on it, because the XL has spoiled me. Though I do sometimes miss having the analog stick. But..that screen.

Oh, and I'm going to have to wait for more real world impressions of El Shaddai before I jump on board. I didn't care for the demo at all.

Massa

StuBurns said:
Dead Island sounds horrid.

I actually thought Xav turned that segment into an awful preview for the game, his complaints didn't make sense and he sounded way too bitter about it.

Huff

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I keep hearing from Shane about how he can't beat FFXIII, the last boss is hard, etc.

He needs to upgrade his weapons. That's it.

That's the whole reason he can't beat it, I'm sure.

He's got to be doing something wrong. This game isn't about grinding and won't let you freely beef up your stats until after you beat the last boss anyway.

JeffCannata

Neo Member
Franklinator said:
Off topic, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I finally watched The Totally Rad Show and I enjoyed it.

Thanks, man! Hope you stick with it. Next week, particularly, has a really fun episode coming up :)

StuBurns

Banned
Massa said:
I actually thought Xav turned that segment into an awful preview for the game, his complaints didn't make sense and he sounded way too bitter about it.
I'll try a demo if they put one out I'm sure.

His comments about BC2 are bizarre. Maybe I'm mistaken but it doesn't update thru Steam, it's from the game client, they don't have to wait for Steam cert at all as far as I know. Even if BC2 does go thru Steam, it doesn't have to. EA games often don't, Crysis 2 for example.

Ondore

Note for Jeff: The PSN version of FF Tactics:War of the Lions is $9.99 and the iOS versions are $16 each. And yeah, version(s), it's not universal.

I'd take the PSN version for MP + cheaper.

Xav seems to gets his facts mixed up sometimes, so why not put that in the drinking game. Last week it was "MAG is what R2 multi-player became," and this week it's his comments about BC2 and Steam.

Shane killed it as usual. Even if I don't agree with his stance on a particular issue, he brings a ton of excitement and incite.

bathala

Banned
I get weird out every time they talk about El shaddai.
I used to be part of a religion called El Shaddai :p some off shoot of Catholic religion in Philippines.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of Shane, I think the reason the last boss in FFXIII is kicking his ass is no one has told him about getting the items that lower the chances of death hitting.

Other than that the fight is pretty easy, but that adds a level of random fail to it that's very cheap. It's possible to just beat it without using that, but it's massively harder.

the PAX lineup looks...crowded, I know the new guys do a lot of hard work, but I look at this podcast as a reunion of sorts and would be ok with no Xav or Jeff for these reunion-cast

Can someone enlighten me on just what Xav was talking about in regards to BC2 on Steam? I play the PC version, from Steam, and have had zero problems.

How hard can it be to push an update to a Steam game when Magicka was updated every day the first 2 weeks it was on sale?

Kusagari

StuBurns said:
Speaking of Shane, I think the reason the last boss in FFXIII is kicking his ass is no one has told him about getting the items that lower the chances of death hitting.

Other than that the fight is pretty easy, but that adds a level of random fail to it that's very cheap. It's possible to just beat it without using that, but it's massively harder.

I had an item that made it 40% less likely to get hit by instant death and Lightning still got hit by it 4 times. I absolutely hate cheap final bosses like that.

And Shane's hatred of FFIX makes me sad. A mess? Really?

Balb

Stoffinator said:
I really like the show, but I found this episode rather slow. Maybe just the content didn't interest me.

Yeah it's been a while since I've listened to this podcast and it's a bit jarring just how much they've embraced iOS.

BocoDragon

Balb said:
Yeah it's been a while since I've listened to this podcast and it's a bit jarring just how much they've embraced iOS.
The WORLD has embraced iOS. It's a platform. It has massive amounts of games, even real games. You should just as soon ignore Wii or PC than ignore iOS.

It also killed 3DS.

Tobor

Massa said:
Agreed. Most of his complaints sounded petty.

The game obviously has some action RPG loot elements, so not being able to use a level 5 sledgehammer at level 1 is pretty obvious, for example.

Mrbob

Hard Reset talk, nice. Weapon switching sounds weird, and hopefully will be patched.

What type of FPS is this? Is it straight up section after section of action like Serious Sam? Or does it have some more strategic options available like Deus Ex?

f0rk

StuBurns said:
His comments about BC2 are bizarre. Maybe I'm mistaken but it doesn't update thru Steam, it's from the game client, they don't have to wait for Steam cert at all as far as I know. Even if BC2 does go thru Steam, it doesn't have to. EA games often don't, Crysis 2 for example.

Yeah I have no idea what he was talking about. The most annoying thing about BC2 on Steam is it doesn't use the Steam friends list. Had no problems with updates or anything.

Goldmund

The referenced Penny Arcade comic seemed more about how questionable the argument that forty bad games are better than a single good game is.

i-GgW57X4-L.jpg

BocoDragon

Yeah I definitely thought that 40 crappy games sounded like a personal hell. Would definitely choose one A+ game over that for sure.

Balb

BocoDragon said:
The WORLD has embraced iOS. It's a platform. It has massive amounts of games, even real games. You should just as soon ignore Wii or PC than ignore iOS.

It also killed 3DS.

I have an iPhone and don't have a problem with iOS games. I was just surprised at how much time they spent talking about them.

Tobor

Goldmund said:
The referenced Penny Arcade comic seemed more about how questionable the argument that forty bad games are better than a single good game is.

G]http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-GgW57X4/0/L/i-GgW57X4-L.jpg[/IMG]
I'm fairly certain they had the intent of the cartoon right on the podcast.

The reality for me is that even as a “gamer,” an enthusiast, a true adherent, my phone is enough even on a trip. Period. The premium cache associated with Portability capital-P has been obliterated, being portable is insufficient as a motivator when I have multipurpose computational sliver perpetually en pocké.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/8/1/

JWong

Banned
I wonder which console Garnett was playing Catherine on.

PS3 Dpad is really the only way to go with that game.

StuBurns said:

I didn't even know there was an item that did that. I'm surprised he is having trouble with the last fight. I thought it was pretty easy.

StuBurns

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
I didn't even know there was an item that did that. I'm surprised he is having trouble with the last fight. I thought it was pretty easy.
I tried it three or four times without it, never got passed the bit when both the white and black balls are present, got the item and creamed him first time.

Tobor

Goldmund said:
I agree with that sentiment. I don't think that's what the comic is about, though, or only partially.
I don't see how you could come to that conclusion. That's the commentary for that specific comic. It's clear what he's saying.

Curufinwe

BocoDragon said:

It also killed 3DS.
This podcast isn't aimed at the world, though. If anything it's aimed at the ShackNews community. The fact that iOS has massive amounts of games does not mean that people who actually take the time to download and listen to this podcast want to hear them discussed ahead of PC titles.

Goldmund

Tobor said:
I don't see how you could come to that conclusion. That's the commentary for that specific comic. It's clear what he's saying.
I don' think it's that clear. The commentary is about the strategy behind the 3DS specifically and all handheld gaming's prime differentiator -- portability -- having been obsoleted by the ubiquity of smartphones.

The comic's emphasis is on price and quality.

I agree that the comic is probably trying to make the same point: »why buy a 3DS at all?« -- and simply backfires by employing the quantity over quality argument.

Grisby said:
Breakdown talk. Nice. That game deserves so much more love.

It was another 2005 gem that was completely overlooked in the mad dash to the next generation and the Xbox 360. It joins esteemed company like Psychonauts and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Seriously, I think Shadow of the Colossus was the only game that year to really get the attention it deserved.

Top Bottom