• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 91 : Revengeance

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

The flurry of new game trailers unleashed during the VGAs last week leads the conversation on Weekend Confirmed this week. Shacknews' own New York-based editor Andrew Yoon joins Xav, Jeff, and Garnett to wade through them, starting with Metal Gear Rising, and moving on through Last of Us, Fortnite, and Mass Effect 3. Andrew recently attended a Sony event back in New York and shares impressions from playing Syndicate, Journey, and Lumines. Listener Shadow13th called out Jeff for using saves to control his fate in role playing games and the group picks up the subject of the min/max approach to gaming and how it exposes the mechanics potentially to the detriment of immersion. There's still more too, with a quick look at November's NPD sales numbers, Trine 2, and Finishing Moves.

Show Breakdown:

Round 1 00:00:00 to 00:23:50

Whatcha Been Playing Part 1 00:24:25 to 00:49:54

Whatcha Been Playing Part 2 00:51:00 to 01:16:18

Listener Feedback/Front Page News 01:17:23 to 01:48:25

NFL Tailgate 01:49:09 to 01:56:36

iTunes
Zune
RSS
Direct Download
Shack

I don't understand why it's so hard for games journalists to recognize why a company like EA would rather use an existing property that they already own to make a new game, rather than start a new IP from scratch. Brand/name recognition is extremely important when selling games. Even though Syndicate is an old IP its name is well known; many people who never played it have at least heard of it. And yes it creates some bad reactions to people who wanted the old style of game but it's probably well worth it for all the attention.

I don't understand why it's so hard for games journalists to recognize why a company like EA would rather use an existing property that they already own to make a new game, rather than start a new IP from scratch. Brand/name recognition is extremely important when selling games. Even though Syndicate is an old IP its name is well known; many people who never played it have at least heard of it. And yes it creates some bad reactions to people who wanted the old style of game but it's probably well worth it for all the attention.

I don't even think it's so much "brand recognition" but the fact that they KNOW that Syndicate is an intellectual property that belongs to them. They don't have to walk the path that Double Fine did.

Tim Shafer - "So...Trenched is fine right? We're not stepping on anyone's toes?"

Guy who is about to have a bad year - "Yeah...it's totally fine. We're good."

The hacking in Syndicate does sound really disappointing but hey it's a sci fi/cyber punk shooter, I'll take what I can get these days.

I don't even think it's so much "brand recognition" but the fact that they KNOW that Syndicate is an intellectual property that belongs to them. They don't have to walk the path that Double Fine did.
Also a good point.

So, has the fanfare for this podcast fallen off so much that we're now getting day-after threads?
It's definitely dropped down on my podcast list. Still love Garnett and the crew but the show doesn't really have a niche like some other ones do. I'd rather they went all news.

LQX

So, has the fanfare for this podcast fallen off so much that we're now getting day-after threads?

I don't think so but got damn they are getting kind of annoying. Jeff comes off like he is audition for a talent show(and I wonder what "big" word he will use this week, Xav just exudes attitude if not arrogance. Garnett is Garnett but for guy in the industry and the host of gaming podcast he sometimes comes off clueless and seems to have to rely on the rest of the crew for insights on a given game. Either way downloading now.

I don't know what it is, but there's something missing from the show. It's enjoyable enough, I really don't have anything to nitpick about, but lately the shows haven't been very memorable. It's missing a certain bombastic air the old shows used to have on 1up. I don't know. I don't want to disparage the show, I listen every week.

I wonder if the rotating guest spot, over time, hurts the show. Personally I like to have some more consistency in my podcasts; every week it seems like a crapshoot, I still listen anyway no matter who's on but I can see some people not bothering depending who the guest is.

I don't know what it is, but there's something missing from the show. It's enjoyable enough, I really don't have anything to nitpick about, but lately the shows haven't been very memorable. It's missing a certain bombastic air the old shows used to have on 1up. I don't know. I don't want to disparage the show, I listen every week.

for me...they're not combative enough.

On 1Up Yours...it "seemed" like they went for blood at times but in the end, you knew it was just a bunch of guys that had been working together for a long time fucking with one another.

I don't hate this podcast (anymore), but nor do I love it.

Jeff Cannata is the only one that really seems to get passionate about the games he's playing. Garnett will get passionate about random issue X but it always feels like he's doing it to simply generate controversy/conversation.

I would pay for Luke Smith VS Shane Bettenhausen "Fuck you!" type arguments.

Also they need someone with an encylopedic-type knowledge of gaming. (Like Bettenhausen) They don't have that.

Right now, Jeff Cannata is the only guy that really seems like a "personality" on a podcast/radio show. This isn't about slagging the other people on the show. They just don't necessarily seem to mesh together or maybe they haven't found their "role".

I liked it when Xav called Billy on some kind of reductive statement he made a few weeks ago. I'd appreciate more hyperbolic statements and more lines drawn in the sand. It would certainly generate more discussion. There's too many gentlemen on that podcast.

Also a good point.

Back to the IP thing...it's gotta be A-1 fuckin' hard to come up with a title for a game let alone navigate the lethal waters of I.P. law.

I wonder if the rotating guest spot, over time, hurts the show. Personally I like to have some more consistency in my podcasts; every week it seems like a crapshoot, I still listen anyway no matter who's on but I can see some people not bothering depending who the guest is.

I think it does. Having four set personalities each week gives us a chance to identify with them more as well as the participants to get comfortable with one another. Haven't exactly been keeping track of attendance but I think Jeff Cannata has been on the MOST episodes. It might not be a coincidence that he is also the one I feel is contributing the most to conversations.

I really like the more natural flow of conversation rather than segment blocks. In fact, these past shows have been great proof of concept that WC can evolve and become flexible. Even the music breaks are really enjoyable.

And every time Yoon spoke, I kept imagining Kip from Napoleon Dynamite. Not a big issue.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My question was read! :)

I was specifically talking about the position 343 Industries is in with creating their first Halo, in a new trilogy after Bungie. It's a very difficult position to be especially after the community is so split on Halo Reach's gameplay. What a momumental task. On one hand, they're all fans of the series and have ideas on where the series should be headed and want to make their own mark on the franchise. On the other hand, the fans are very specific in the things they want. Certain weapons, maps and features. I tend to think though that the fans don't know what they want. Of course they do to a certain extent but it's more of what they DON'T want.

About 2/3 of the way through the show, gonna listen to the rest now

Riposte

Garnett was right on RPGs for the most part. You don't play the role-play as Kratos because you have no agency in his role in the story. "Story interaction" is the better way to put it.

I'm going to sound a right dick for saying this, and nothing against him personally, but that dudes voice makes it hard to listen to for me this week.

Grisby

Weekend Latefirmed.

I still enjoy the podcasts immensely. Just have been running behind with some things. Haven't been posting as much.

Flavius

Never finished the last one.

To finish up and move to this, or hop right on in here...decisions, decisions.

Hmm....

Atruvius

Andrew should be a permament member.

Regarding the Skyrim and GotY discussion. If a game is the game of the year it should be great on all platforms. Not great on two and broken on one. Skyrim shouldn't be the game of the year for any outlet. Broken products shouldn't win awards.

You people should speak up about the PS3 version of Skyrim. Because it really is heartbreaking how a great and anticipated title like Skyrim is just broken on one platform. The mainstream audience should know about this and not buy the game for PS3.

Mrbob

Garnett, this is how lazy Tiburon/EA is: League Manager is run by one guy. Yes, one guy has done everything for that website. At least Tiburon had the foresight to contract him for online leagues if they weren't even going to touch the online franchise.

Xav, you need the EA online pass to play online, but League Manager syncs with the created online league made in Madden. Site isn't perfect, but it is much better than previous years online franchise.

Mrbob

One last thing for you Garnett. Can I tell you how much I despise your former Cowboys helping to ruin the Bears season?

Three Cowboy pickups for the team this season.

Williams chokes in the clutch against the Chiefs.

Barber chokes in the clutch against the Broncos.

Hurd is a big time king pin drug dealer.

Hope your Cowboys get knocked out of the playoffs the final week against the Giants in the most painful way possible!

As you can see from my avatar, I also now root for the real football team in Texas. Yates is taking us to the super bowl!

It just sounds like a trainwreck born from dogmatic by-the-numbers AAA game development. It could turn out OK, but who knows, just like XCOM.

Garnett was right on RPGs for the most part. You don't play the role-play as Kratos because you have no agency in his role in the story. "Story interaction" is the better way to put it.

He's half-right. RPG mechanics however, are being ripped out and ladled onto other games far too often.

Very jaded and snarky episode this week, I love it! We've been loving things all year, time to knock everyone down a peg

I agree with Jeff "same shit different day" Cannata. I'm sure The Last of Us will be fine, it will win or be runner up in GAF's GOTY next year and everyone will love it, whatever! Call me when *shocking* reveals are actually shocking and different

Bigfoot

Regarding the Skyrim and GotY discussion. If a game is the game of the year it should be great on all platforms. Not great on two and broken on one. Skyrim shouldn't be the game of the year for any outlet. Broken products shouldn't win awards.

Nope! I agree with Jeff (and Garnett)... you should only consider your own experience with a game to decide if it is your GOTY. External factors such as others experience, issues that you didn't encounter, platform or genre bias, etc, shouldn't come in to it at all.

Look at Uncharted 3 as an example. Many loved it and had no problems with the aiming so they would consider it their GOTY. Should they have to consider all the people who had issues with the aiming on their playthroughs and thus don't think UC3 is worthy of GOTY? I don't really think so... everyones experience is their own.

just listening to this now, late i know but two tings really annoyed me.

Them saying that its not up to them to advertise for smaller/not marketed games, "we are not marketing machines"*. That is exactly what you should be doing if the games are good, and if all you are spending time talking about are games that are handed to you by publisher marketing departments then all you are is and extension of their marketing. Anyone willing to spend two hours listening to a gaming podcast would be pretty willing to here about some smaller, good games that might not be getting a big promotion push.

and in connection to this Jeff saying that he "does not have the bandwidth"* to keep an eye on weekly releases on various platforms i really confusing/maddening to me. This, gaming news, is his/one of his jobs (the others on the show it is their only job). Taking a few hours at most once a week to look at a list and reading some descriptions, looking at some screen-shots, reading some user impressions on forums cant be that hard. Some people here seem to manages it in addition to their other work.

otherwise the show is getting better, and as mas mentioned earlier the free flow structure is really nice :)

* not exact quotations

just listening to this now, late i know but two tings really annoyed me.

Them saying that its not up to them to advertise for smaller/not marketed games, "we are not marketing machines"*. That is exactly what you should be doing if the games are good, and if all you are spending time talking about are games that are handed to you by publisher marketing departments then all you are is and extension of their marketing. Anyone willing to spend two hours listening to a gaming podcast would be pretty willing to here about some smaller, good games that might not be getting a big promotion push.

and in connection to this Jeff saying that he "does not have the bandwidth"* to keep an eye on weekly releases on various platforms i really confusing/maddening to me. This, gaming news, is his/one of his jobs (the others on the show it is their only job). Taking a few hours at most once a week to look at a list and reading some descriptions, looking at some screen-shots, reading some user impressions on forums cant be that hard. Some people here seem to manages it in addition to their other work.

otherwise the show is getting better, and as mas mentioned earlier the free flow structure is really nice :)

* not exact quotations
Yeah I forgot but I was going to comment on these two things as well. Well said.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nope! I agree with Jeff (and Garnett)... you should only consider your own experience with a game to decide if it is your GOTY. External factors such as others experience, issues that you didn't encounter, platform or genre bias, etc, shouldn't come in to it at all.

Look at Uncharted 3 as an example. Many loved it and had no problems with the aiming so they would consider it their GOTY. Should they have to consider all the people who had issues with the aiming on their playthroughs and thus don't think UC3 is worthy of GOTY? I don't really think so... everyones experience is their own.

I agree with that in a personal sense, but in terms of a site or a mag or something I'd disagree. This is one of those times where an issue like Skyrim not really running on the PS3 makes you think maybe platform specific awards ARE a good idea.

It's neither here nor there though as Skyrim isn't in my top 5 for GOTY anyways. :p

Grisby

Good episode. I enjoyed Andrew a lot. The PS3 Skyrim thing shouldn't be glossed over but I do agree about the experience thing. I do think Bethesda should get more shit for it though.

I was initially down for Left 4 Us but now I'm not feeling it as much. Uncharted 3 kind of lowered my opinion of ND a bit and when they talk about merging cinematic gameplay and all I just hope they don't leave the gameplay part behind. Or the aiming controls.

GhaleonQ

It's sad that this is caught in the end-of-year lull, because I thought this was a really strong episode. There was skepticism, not cynicism or devotion. Nice work.

I wanted to hear min-maxing extended to stuff like the fighting genre, for instance, or others. The math problem/boring sameness of play styles comes to the fore there.

Top Bottom