• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

DangerStepp

Very good points you bring up there that I had not taken into consideration.

I, also, am not trying to cast any foul dispersions on Garnett and crew.

If it isn't my cup of tea right now then that's my own issue... I'm just trying to understand the dichotomy here.

Bums me out.

I get where you're coming from. Some times I wish that opinions expressed on the show were not akin to how one would say they enjoyed their friend's University Play when they didn't. A lot of placations, neutral terms, "it's not you, it's me" and so on.

But having said that, Garnet still serves up some surprises, like with his 'about face' on Spec Ops. That's was probably the most negative I've heard anyone on the show, in recent times.

Re: the latest show. I really enjoyed it. It's nice to not have Garnet on the show, every once in a while. Not for any dislike of Garnet, but it changes the dynamic on the show and allows people to play different roles than usual.

I like Jeff as a host; he keeps things moving and gave everyone a chance at addressing issues and talking about what was on their minds. If you're still around these parts, well done and thank you for an enjoyable show.

Very glad to see Xav back for a show!!!!!!

I joined the 1up show listening later than GFW radio. I don't miss listening to Luke so much, but really miss listening to John and Shane.

krae_man

Yeah that Need for Speed game sure was Rad last night
It was just plain Rad
I've seen games Rad before
But that game was the raddest bunch of rads who ever raded

Jeff Watch your Mouth!

I gotta go my damn radder kids are listening.

Edit: The portable Diablo like game you want is called Ruin/Warriors Lair. Well if it every comes out that is.

Grisby

Just got around to listening. Was an alright show. Made me realize that I still miss Xav. Guy has a presence with his voice and can talk at length about why a game is awesome in an articulate manner.

Just got around to listening. Was an alright show. Made me realize that I still miss Xav. Guy has a presence with his voice and can talk at length about why a game is awesome in an articulate manner.

I keep meaning to try his new Joystiq podcast but keep forgetting to

Too many games podcasts!

LQX

Made me realize why I'm glad he is gone. He speaks well on games but his jokes and interrupting is more annoying than all of them combined but whats funny is you get the feeling he is annoyed by them joking and interrupting. So many awkward moments.

Early Confirmed: No Funyuns Edition

Console Interfaces, Warfighter, Wii U, and Forza Horizon are just some of the topics discussed on this episode of Weekend Confirmed. Andrea Rene and Andrew Yoon join Jeff and Garnett for the festivities. Console interfaces are discussed heavily in the first segment and then the crew cranks up the action with some Warfighter and COD Blops 2 discussion. All that, Finishing Moves, and the football tailgate make this one great episode.

I laughed when Andrew called Jeff on his XMB comment :lol

Speaking of interfaces, the PS4 will be an extra *special* disaster if the Vita is any indication

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't get the point about Black Ops. The Treyarch games don't take any chances and are very boring. Of course, MW3 was the turning point and now, Treyarch wins by default. But if you are saying that they take chances, they would have let you shoot
Kennedy
instead of making it a "twist" at the end of the game in a cutscene.

FStop7

Banned
I don't get the point about Black Ops. The Treyarch games don't take any chances and are very boring. Of course, MW3 was the turning point and now, Treyarch wins by default. But if you are saying that they take chances, they would have let you shoot
Kennedy
instead of making it a "twist" at the end of the game in a cutscene.

There are claims from several corners that Treyarch is taking chances with BLOPS 2. Remains to be seen...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are claims from several corners that Treyarch is taking chances with BLOPS 2. Remains to be seen...
I know Spec Ops isn't the greatest game ever, but if Black Ops 2 doesn't do something similar then it's not really taking chances at all.

That said, I think it's fair to say it's just a dumb game with lots of explosions that you just play because you like explosions. I just doubt we'll ever get another "No Russian" from the Call of Duty franchise ever again.

f0rk

I just doubt we'll ever get another "No Russian" from the Call of Duty franchise ever again.

Are you suggesting that was good? Because I thought it was trying too hard to be controversial and edgy, while also being one of the biggest plot holes ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you suggesting that was good? Because I thought it was trying too hard to be controversial and edgy, while also being one of the biggest plot holes ever.
Without making a value judgement either way, I am suggesting that it is an example of taking chances.

Some (rare) war games have had civilians in them, but no game has made it an objective to actually shoot them.

KalBalboa

Banned
I was very thankful to get the show so early today. The Need For Speed/Forza discussion was an eye opener, and I'm glad Jeff's apparent confusion on deleting data on the PS3 was given a few laughs.

Grisby

Hooray, I'll be on time to listen for once. Weekend Forzafirmed.

Also, good deal Andrew Yoon is on, really like him as a guest.

krae_man

Today I learned that the XMB is confusing. Wha....?

Haven't listened yet, but I recall the general consensus among the games press was "great for techsavvy people like us as everything is up front and not burried, confusing for non techies".

The PS3 does have it's quirks that would be confusing to people who haven't been using it for years(EG. someone hooks up their PS3 to a different TV with different cables for the first time).

It can be simple if you want it too. Netflix and the other apps have their own tab. Games and disks auto load by default etc.

XMB was great on the PSP but has gotten increasingly worse the more stuff is bolted on to it (without making even minor changes to support all the new stuff). The sad thing the XMB has the potential to be a great interface but its obvious Sony will abandon it with the PS4

Loading up the XMB for the first time on the PSP was something special though

mik

mik is unbeatable
Guys, don't forget to vote. It's super-important.

Seriously--vote.

Hey everyone, if you don't vote, you completely forfeit the right to complain. It's true. Please vote.

eznark

Banned

Seriously--vote.

Hey everyone, if you don't vote, you completely forfeit the right to complain. It's true. Please vote.

If it weren't for video game podcasts I never would have known.

Garnett, I would visit Shacknews more if you and your co-workers played game together and put it up on video form. Even a weekly Madden game would add a bunch to your site.

I can see how it'd be hard to delete install data for a game anyway. The dash just puts all that stuff under "Settings".
Yeah, because tapping up on the Game tab a few times and seeing Game Data Utility is hard to figure out. How does it make more sense to be under Settings? File management isn't a setting.

It's less that it's confusing and more that Jeff hasn't used a PS3 enough in the last 6 years to be familiar with the general layout of the XMB. It's not as though Sony keeps changing it, Game Data has ALWAYS been under Game.

Nizz

Yeah, because tapping up on the Game tab a few times and seeing Game Data Utility is hard to figure out. How does it make more sense to be under Settings? File management isn't a setting.

It's less that it's confusing and more that Jeff hasn't used a PS3 enough in the last 6 years to be familiar with the general layout of the XMB. It's not as though Sony keeps changing it, Game Data has ALWAYS been under Game.
I agree. I think it speaks more to just how much game media/enthusiasts play on 360 rather than on PS3. I mean, besides the PS3 exclusive games how often do you hear about any of these guys playing anything on PS3?

I love the WC crew but damn guys, dust off those PS3s and use em once in a while.

Deadstar

To me, the xmb is infinitely better than the xbox dashboard. I don't know why anyone could argue against this. The xbox has a ton of ads everywhere (even for gold subscribers) and it takes many clicks to find the games that I own. On the playstation you move left or right a few notches and all your games are there. It's very simple, there's no garbage flooding the interface.

Blazyr

So far as the apology I offered James, that was for being a dick about the way I said it. Doesn't change my drop in interest for Overstrike/Fuse from the change, just that lassoing it to Haze was a bit of a trollish reach.

On BLOPS2, might not have made this clear but I don't think it will be taking risks in the way some might be thinking; it's still going to be the bombastic, always-on game. My thought was that they do at least have fun with it and hit some clever, creative notes in the same sort of way that a good big action movie does as opposed to the ones you watch and think I've seen this all before.

Blazyr

Oh Danger, you just don't like what we play. ;)

Ariel and I are having a blast with Borderlands 2 and I had to get into Horizon, just like I'm going to be drawn right into Most Wanted (hopefully for the better).

marrec

Banned

Seriously--vote.

I swear to god when Cannata brought this up I almost threw up patriotic rainbows all over my PC.

Saying 'I wish they'd care about X as much as they care about X' is the WORST fucking argument. As if it's a zero sum game. Like I go and complain about what happened to Rab and LOSE a bit of caring about the political process.

I really expected better out of Cannata.

frequency

WARNING: Nonsensical rant post

But the Xbox Experience (all of it) is so much better than anything Sony could ever do. So obviously the XMB, being different from the Dashboard, totally sucks. The XMB is so confusing and slow! It's impossible to find or do anything on it! It is unusable.

99% of the gaming media podcasts have been telling me this for 6 years.

There is no bias in the media. Truly none at all. They just all choose to play everything on the Xbox. That doesn't create any bias whatsoever...
It is perfectly reasonable to expect to find game data in the settings instead of in the game section. And anyone who deviates from this is confusing and bad.
"I am totally not biased in favour of the Xbox! I just play all my console games on it and have all my friends on it and rarely turn on my PS3. Also the Xbox is way better in every way and anything that is different is bad."

I think everyone is biased. It is okay because it is human. I just wish people would stop lying to me that they are not. Admit that you are and let others determine what to think of your opinions about certain subjects with that knowledge.
Your opinion is not invalid because you prefer the Xbox or Playstation or Nintendo. We can all disagree. But I feel it is insulting to claim you are looking at things objectively when you are not.

Anyway. I expect lots of people to disagree and call me stupid or whatever. I just needed to write this (mainly for myself) because it has been annoying me for a very long time.
And yes, of the two I am biased in favour of Playstation. Feel free to disqualify my opinions for being human.

Curufinwe

Yeah, it's not confusing at all. It's hard to believe these types of things are still getting said on podcasts in 2012.

demidar

I wish the console navigation menus weren't so flashy. I prefer things more utilitarian, show me everything in small boxes, do it quickly and simply. No dynamically loaded panels or anything. I would gladly exchange the XMB with something more simple and faster. Not that it matters much nowadays since there is hardly anything worth playing on the consoles nowadays and I never turn them on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's only confusing because the Game tab starts in the middle and you are basically only encouraged to scroll down to access downloaded games. In fact, I never actually go "up" the game menu unless I need to make a PS2 memory card, so I can see how someone would never notice it.

I think the XMB is much cleaner though, but both interfaces suck if you have a lot of games downloaded. They weren't designed for people who have 200+ downloaded titles and it's starting to fall apart on both ends.

On the XMB side, the fact that PSP titles just sit there as bubbles is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen in a while.

On Forza Horizon:

Was Garnett playing the same game I was? The control felt great to me. And I could have sworn I was driving around in an open world. Love you, G but it seems to me like you misrepresented that game big time. For me, it's one of the best racing games to come out for some time.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm just saying I had a vastly different experience. And it's a bit odd you did as well when you played it a month ago.

Blazyr

yeah, my opinion is a misrepresentation, clearly :p

It's an open world in which you're alone for single-player. As I clearly laid out, multiplayer defaults to race playlists. The "roam" mode is a little off the beaten path and doesn't seem to be an emphasis.

Glad you like it, though. Like I said, the Colorado countryside aspect is really nice. I mean, unless you're misrepresenting the game by saying how much you like it. ;)

EDIT: oh, and I will probably give it another hour or two over the weekend. If it changes my mind any, I'll bring that up.

LiK

yeah, my opinion is a misrepresentation, clearly :p

It's an open world in which you're alone for single-player. As I clearly laid out, multiplayer defaults to race playlists. The "roam" mode is a little off the beaten path and doesn't seem to be an emphasis.

Glad you like it, though. Like I said, the Colorado countryside aspect is really nice. I mean, unless you're misrepresenting the game by saying how much you like it. ;)

EDIT: oh, and I will probably give it another hour or two over the weekend. If it changes my mind any, I'll bring that up.

i await the inevitable comparison to NFS: Most Wanted.

Grisby

About halfway through but I just wanted to say I demand a parody videogame called Battle Participant.

Also, RE6 is not unplayable. I put 20 something (30?) maybe hours in to mercs alone. It's just the SP design can be quite shit at times.
Yeah, you know, he's pretty good you know.
I know!

Garnett, rumble in F:H is weak to the point where I think it's actually bugged. That might explain your difficulties, and maybe why you thought it felt better at a previous event.

Hopefully it will be fixed, or improved upon. I'm not buying it until it is.

Top Bottom