• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Famitsu - April 16th 2010

Ketsui is an awesome rush but it lacks the involving score mechanic of a game like Mushi Futari or DOJ. Specifically because the bomb bonus you get at the end of the stage for the most part overshadows any bonus you can pick up during the stages.

So the game winds up being about dying as little as possible while making use of the score mechanic.

I've gotten really close to 1CCing it, but every time I played it, it seemed like I'd get the same scores all the way through stage 3 no matter how well I did.

Magypsy23

Banned
Nirolak said:
New Level 5 Game
-Platform: "Centered on a system that's not yet in this world, it will expand to other systems. It will be this image."
-Level 5 thinks the game could turn into a popular series
-The game is large scale
-Jiro Ishii (428) is working on the game
-Time travel will be involved in some fashion

My face is melting.

what's that new psp game appeared in the scans about? (Momotaro Dentetsu Tag Match Friendship, Cooperation, Winning Volume!)

any info? developer? publisher?

neo2046

Time Traveler interview, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade full page scans are out

only one logo and one illust. art in Time Traveler interview page

duckroll

Interesting. I didn't know Jirou Ishii actually left Chunsoft. The interview states that he has left Chunsoft and joined Level 5 as a game director. Time Travelers will be directed and written by Jirou Ishii, and produced by Akihiro Hino.

TunaLover

duckroll said:
Interesting. I didn't know Jirou Ishii actually left Chunsoft. The interview states that he has left Chunsoft and joined Level 5 as a game director. Time Travelers will be directed and written by Jirou Ishii, and produced by Akihiro Hino.
What was his position in Chunsofto?

Nirolak said:
New Level 5 Game
-Platform: "Centered on a system that's not yet in this world, it will expand to other systems. It will be this image."
Someone ban them from announcing new games for 5 years please, really.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Linkup said:
then ported to PSP2

Just like Layton and IE...erm no ;-)

I want Love + on 3DS xD

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Someone ban them from announcing new games for 5 years please, really.

More like japanese release next year.

Shinriji

Every week I look forward some news of Sony Japan PS3 games and, as always, came out dissapointed. Take Hindustan Eletronics guys of their eternal vacation, I want my "The Last Guy 2 - Mary returns", dammit.

Dazzyman

Had Ketsui ordered for over 18months now. Soon as it was anounced with DDPDJ I bought a JPN 360.

I dont mind the DDPDJ port yep its got some probs but it beats digging the PS2 out all the time to play one game now.

I like the old school survive on 1cc I think where missing that abit at moment with Galuda II and Futari I want that old school back like Don Pachi.

Its also most anticipated shmup since 2002 thats why the prices have held for PCBs people want it.

These guys give average 27 for shmups anyway at best and as Im not a fan of the higher scoring DS cant say Im too suprised in the score.

Im more bothered it being in my bloody hands after the scarey worry of it never coming out and going hunting/saving for a gun and game so saving £100s if its got the odd bug I can live with especially with highscores online :D

Why is it that the PS3 ver of Lost Planet 2 is getting an exclusive monster hunter costume when it's the only system to not be getting a monster hunter game?

They should pack in a fleshlight with Love Plus+

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Level 5 is working on or has put on hold:
Ninokuni - TBA 2010
Ninokuni, console version - TBA TBA
White Knight Chronicles 2 - TBA TBA
Layton 5 - TBA 2010
Layton 6 - TBA TBA
Inazuma Eleven 3 - Q2 2010
Inazume Eleven, console version - TBA TBA
Ushiro - TBA TBA
Cardboard Senki - TBA 2010
Fantasy Life - TBA 2010
Potentially DQX, if they're the developer for that - TBA TBA
"Time Traveller" - TBA TBA

*shakes head*

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stumpokapow said:
Ninokuni - TBA 2010
Layton 5 - TBA 2010
Layton 6 - TBA TBA
Ushiro - TBA TBA
Fantasy Life - TBA 2010

*shakes head*

WKC2 is slated for summer 2010.

_dementia said:
crappy 5pb port or does famitsu hate amazing shmups?

probably they hate old shmup gameplay
i don't (want to) think it's about a crappy port, at least not crappy as DDP BLE was, considering the feedbacks from people who played the demo were almost positive (iirc).

i just hope the loading time will be faster than DDP BLE... and also to see the menu screen in TATE mode after i select it..............

Ookami-kun said:
Stop making horrible Wizardry-wannabe games :mad:

I thought Class of Heroes 2 was supposed to have improved in lots of areas over the first one? Providing nothing gets screwed up, this new version then could also be quite a bit better.

Though I am always curious to here more on those Amazon.jp exclusive PS3/DS Wizardry games...not much out there...

Yaweee

larvi said:
Wasn't CoH already a port from a PS2 game, so this will be a port of a port?

CoH 1 was a re-skinned port of a PS2 Wizardry game, but CoH 2 was completely its own game.

Goddamn, I hope Atlus announces a localization of CoH 2.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
Ninokuni - TBA 2010
Layton 5 - TBA 2010
Layton 6 - TBA TBA
Ushiro - TBA TBA
Fantasy Life - TBA 2010

*shakes head*

Level 5 also has 210 employees and two separate offices now. If we divide all their stuff into separate teams, here's what we get:

WKC2 - Almost done, definitely coming out in a few months

Inazuma Eleven 3 - Yearly series, July 2010

Layton 5 - Yearly series, end 2010

Ninokuni - Release date should be announced soon

Cardboard Senki - Has to released as close to the anime series as possible, most likely Oct 2010 or Jan 2011

Fantasy Life - Developed by Brownie Brown

Time Travelers - Developed at the Tokyo studio

Ushiro is almost certainly on hold and not in development at the moment. Inazuma and Ninokuni's console versions are further into the future, and probably share team members with the portable versions, slowing development down. Sengoku Baseball Team will probably be announced some time this year as well.

If Fantasy Life does not make 2010, we're still looking at a bare minimum of 4 titles being released this year from Level 5. I would say the output isn't bad, the only problem being that they tend to announce things too far in advance. It's probably a learning process for them as a publisher as well.

larvi

Yaweee said:
CoH 1 was a re-skinned port of a PS2 Wizardry game, but CoH 2 was completely its own game.

Goddamn, I hope Atlus announces a localization of CoH 2.

Thanks, since CoH 1 was a port of Wizardry X, I just figured CoH 2 was a port of Wizardry X 2. I'm hoping for a port of the PSP CoH 2 as well, I loved the 1st one.

Stumpokapow said:
Ninokuni - TBA 2010
Layton 5 - TBA 2010
Layton 6 - TBA TBA
Ushiro - TBA TBA
Fantasy Life - TBA 2010

*shakes head*

They fell into SE's habit of announcing stuff too early, only SE are way into clearing the backlog of announcements now, Level 5 haven't even started

neo2046

Nirolak said:
New Level 5 Game
-Level 5 thinks the game could turn into a popular series
-The game is large scale
-Jiro Ishii (428) is working on the game
-Time travel will be involved in some fashion
-Anything else you saw is fake
Time Travelers illust. art
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1234083_1124.html
2ra32Kta1T8cAOxLAK6CojclEpgc9Sdv

mutsu

hm... given that art, maybe it is a PSP2 game afterall? I know it is just a piece of art, but its details may be wasted if it's not on some decent hardware.

mutsu

Stumpokapow said:
Ninokuni - TBA 2010
Layton 5 - TBA 2010
Layton 6 - TBA TBA
Ushiro - TBA TBA
Fantasy Life - TBA 2010

*shakes head*

They are also working on all those mystery/puzzle spinoff games for the DS. What about those ROID games?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ketsui is one of the most played SHMUP ever,

I keep seeing stuff like this all over the web, but no offense, but how is this even measured? I'm ON the Ketsui love train, but it seems it's still fairly marginal compared to other Cave shooters regardless of quality. I seriously doubt Ketsui is one of the most played SHMUPs ever to be honest, simply given that up until this point it's a $1000+ investment or being lucky enough to have an arcade that bothers to have it. So really, i can't see how it's "one of" the most played unless we are expanding that list to about 15 games.

Shmups ALWAYS have people playing them for score. how many people are still playing Dodonpachi? Gradius? etc. They are still out there.

Don't get me wrong, Ketsui is great, but there's something about the game that brings out the crazy in people. Over at Shmups, I'm half terrified to say i prefer DDP to it (non-DOJ/DFK version too). But hey, i'm right! ;)

It's one of the most awaited Cave port, considering it was planned for PS2.
AFAIK the 2 titles people was requesting the most for a home console porting were Ketsui and Guwange (and both come on 360...)

Guwange was an AWFUL choice if you ask me. DFK would have been a much better choice, or even MMP (that i'm not a great fan of) or, hell, Ibara BL.

Again, it's a GOOD game, but we can , ahem, play it already.

About the score, 5pb got a terrible feedback for DDP Black Label Extra port, the game is heavily bugged and also they stolen some part of the code from PS2's DDP DOJ.
I really hope the game is not bugged as DDP BLE was, and maybe the reason behing the low score is about the "old gameplay, not innovative" excuse they usually use for shmups

the low score is simple - Famitsu are NOT the hardcore gaming enthusiast magazine people think it is. It caters to the masses and right now thats the Wii/DS/Casual crowd. Ketsui was never going to break above the 32 limit at very best, and given it looks to be a pretty bare bones port lacking a lot of the extras in previous ports like Mushihime, then i can at least see why they didn't fall over themselves to give it 8's or higher.

Not seen the guts of the review but it seems the lack of extras (they equate it with short completion time) is the main beef.

re: 5pb and DDP BL - the main issue for me was the load times and the menu resets. The port itself isn't 100% accurate, but they rarely are and unless you are completely insanely shmups hardcore it won't bother you. If you ARE completely insane shmups hardcore, then that person likely owns the PCB anyways and the port quality is a nothingness. :D

Should be fun though , looking forward to the game.

Top Bottom