• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weezer - Beverly Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Does this album have a lot of the demos I heard from 2002? Like "She Who is Militant" and "Mad Kow." Great songs.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well.

I thought it couldnt get any worse after Maladroit.

Thanks for proving me wrong....

This is the worst thing Weezer has ever recorded.

Dead said:
Well.

I thought it couldnt get any worse after Maladroit.

Thanks for proving me wrong....

This is the worst thing Weezer has ever recorded.
Green was way worse than Maladroit. I actually like Maladroit. Green is like, bad, all the way to the end.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Foreign Jackass said:
Green was way worse than Maladroit. I actually like Maladroit. Green is like, bad, all the way to the end.

green is a bland album with some good songs. for example, imagine if "smile" had been a piano song, as was originally intended. amazing. maladroit is just a bunch of shit mixed real nice. i have no idea what happened there. too much fan involvement.

beverly hills, while nothing mind blowing, is not only a single self-labeled by the band as "written for the record company," but also far better than anything off maladroit. have you even listened to that album lately? i did last week and couldn't stand it. american gigolo? possibilities? holy crap. and i mean crap.

Zilch

Banned
Exxy, I was waiting for you to weigh in, and I agree with your opinion. I listened to Maladroit just the other day (my roommate's copy, I don't even own it) and yeah it's still crap.

Beverly Hills honestly gives me hope for the new album.

Patrick Klepek

here's the thing about the new album. there's so much we don't know about it, it will be an interesting listen, and i don't think an interesting in the how-much-worse-can-the-next-song-get kind of way with maladroit. i mean legitimately interesting. make believe may not end up being a blue or pinkerton, but i'm willing to bet good money beverly hills is a stand-out oddity on the final release, and the album will be surprisingly quality.

bridegur

Beverly Hills is an awesome single, and according to the band that's basically its purpose. The rest of the album is supposed to be fairly different, not just a bunch of "fun" songs.

bridegur

Oh, and Maladroit is easily weezer's worst album, basically crap from start to finish. I'm predicting that Make Believe will be at least their third best album, if not tied for second (but that's a big if).

Socreges

Banned
Oy. Maladroit > Green

Both are disappointments, but Green is pretty uninteresting. I find myself going back to Maladroit more often... still skipping through some tracks, though. I don't do that with either Blue or Pinkerton.

Socreges

Banned
I don't really like it (as of now). I'm actually surprised this is Weezer. Hopefully the rest of the album is much different, as people say.

Guzim

I love the Green album. The only song that I really don't like is O Girlfriend. Maladroit does have some classics (Keep Fishin', Take Control)

But I cannot wait until Make Believe. It's going to have 12 songs right?

Diablos

American Gigolo rocks! I like pretty much all but two or three songs on Maladroit. I only like two songs on green: Hash Pipe and O Girlfriend, heh.

GG-Duo

eXxy said:
beverly hills, while nothing mind blowing, is not only a single self-labeled by the band as "written for the record company,"

you better be right, pat. *sniff, shakes fist*

Wow, I like just about every Weezer song ever. Seriously.

But Beverly Hills is pretty bad. Maybe it will grow on me. I doubt it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I love this new single. Good poppy, silly rock tune.

And I really enjoy Maladroit. I like it for completely different reasons that I like Blue and Pink, but I still like it nonetheless. Maladroit is just more of a shallower, edgier album. That's all.

Patrick Klepek

Ford Prefect said:
I love this new single. Good poppy, silly rock tune.

And I really enjoy Maladroit. I like it for completely different reasons that I like Blue and Pink, but I still like it nonetheless. Maladroit is just more of a shallower, edgier album. That's all.

edgy? i'm not sure that word is reserved for anything but an album with titles like "tired of sex"

i'm serious. you guys listen to "my name is jonas" and then "american gigolo" and don't feel like something's off?

eXxy said:
edgy? i'm not sure that word is reserved for anything but an album with titles like "tired of sex"

i'm serious. you guys listen to "my name is jonas" and then "american gigolo" and don't feel like something's off?
Both's lyrics are completely random to me, but maybe that's cause I'm french, I dunno.

Patrick Klepek

ouch.jpg
= i am the guy underneath while listening to maladroit

maladroit is an album i helped release, to the point where i was mentioned in a weezer autobiography, and i can't even make myself enjoy it. something's amiss!

GG-Duo

For some reason, I would use "frat" to describe this new "edgy" sound that they've been toying with since Green...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
bridegur said:
Explain. Is it because it's a fun, catchy summer song? Radio singles aren't usually super-deep masterpieces.
a) Not everyone lowers their standards for the summer season. I'm not quite sure why a song that fits a warm climate has to be uninspired trash either.

b) It'll still be on the album. Being used as a radio single doesn't magically excuse it from sucking. It sucks on the radio, it'll suck on the album too.

c) It's catchy in the way that it gets stuck in your head and you hate it for being there. It's boring tripe.

Mifune

Mehmber
bridegur said:
Explain. Is it because it's a fun, catchy summer song? Radio singles aren't usually super-deep masterpieces.

Terrible lyrics. Rock-by-numbers main hook. Processed sound. I stand by fucking awful.

I don't mind the remix version, the regular one isn't so hot IMO. Still not up to Weezer's best, but far from terrible.

Oh and I'm making a Wezzer playlist for the PSP, so far I've chosen then following tracks:

Buddy Holly
Suzanne
Island in the Sun
Beverly Hills (remix)
No one else
Say it ain't so
Keep fishing
The Sweater Song
The world has turned...
Dope Nose
El Scorcho
Jaime (Acoutsic)

Any choice tracks I missed?

LukeSmith

After I leaked the Green Album Masters to the internet via a Message Board exXy may or may not have been modding ne'no one could believe that this was what Weezer had become. Maladroit was a further letdown in every sense of the word.

LIke I've said before, we'll (weezer fans) always have the caveat that the only weezer we like is the original line-up.

Sounds like a Good Charlotte b-side with Rivers taking over vocal duties. I really don't see how anyone who says they like Weezer can say this song is even mediocre. It's trash.

Sullichin

Pedigree Chum said:
I don't mind the remix version, the regular one isn't so hot IMO. Still not up to Weezer's best, but far from terrible.

Oh and I'm making a Wezzer playlist for the PSP, so far I've chosen then following tracks:

Buddy Holly
Suzanne
Island in the Sun
Beverly Hills (remix)
No one else
Say it ain't so
Keep fishing
The Sweater Song
The world has turned...
Dope Nose
El Scorcho
Jaime (Acoutsic)

Any choice tracks I missed?

Plenty.

Mykel and Carli
Surfwax America
No One Else
Only In Dreams
The Good Life
No Other one
Across The Sea
Tired of Sex
Pink Triangle

The new song is alright. I was only able to find a radio rip, I assume that's the only one out there. What's this remix?

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I've been listening to this song more and more, and my attitude toward it has changed a bit. I still enjoy it, but I do in fact believe it to be one of the worse songs on any of their post-Pinkerton albums. It's very simple, the vocals aren't too great, and I can see the comparison to Good Charlotte. This is not a step up from Green and Maladroit. I believe that the rest of the album will be better, though, seeing all that Rivers has been going through since Maladroit, and what Karl's been saying.

Concerning the past two albums, I personally enjoy Green and Maladroit very much. True, listening to Green in its entirety can sometimes give me a headache, but that's more due to the production than the actual music. I think the songs are perfect for what they were meant to be: catchy, shallow pop tunes. Some songs are just plain terrible; these songs are the slow love songs, like Slave and December, but most of the other stuff is great. Maladroit is fairly rocking. It's just a different style of music then what we got with Blue and Pink. I can see how some fans of Blue and Pink won't appreciate Green and Maladroit, but I do.

Socreges

Banned
Matlock said:
If this was '94, you guys would be loving it.
So you're implying that Beverly Hills is as good as even one song on Blue? Just... no. There's something to be said for people that polarize 1994-1996/modern Weezer so much ("this is shit, they used to be amazing",etc), but if you don't think that there's been a drop in quality (and Beverly Hills is part and parcel to this) then I don't know what to say.

Patrick Klepek

Matlock said:
If this was '94, you guys would be loving it.

lies. i didn't even like weezer till green era. i dare you to put beverly hills on a blue album mixtape for someone and not have them go "huh?"

as i listen to bevery hills more, i still like it. then again, i liked maladroit when it came out, too, so it's all about time. if beverly hills as much of an oddity from the rest of "make believe" as the band and weezer.com is making it out to be, then i'll be extremely happy. based on the band's previous track record, i'm not counting on it, but given that rivers can be extremely talented when he puts his mind to it...i'm still hoping.

Diablos

I think we should all just wait until the rest of the album comes out. It might be really good. I'm not too fond of the first single, though.

Hash Pipe > Dope Nose > Beverly Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom