• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weezer - Beverly Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeSmith

Fatalah said:
Are you referring to the single or the whole album leaking?

:lol
if the whole album leaked already.
As I sit at work and hear Blast Off or Longtime Sunshine it reinforces what I think of as the Weezer 50.
It could be the Weezer 60, but the first 50-60 songs Weezer recorded (Blue, Pink, Bsides early ass demos "Let's Sew Our Pants Together," "Thief" et cetera, Songs from the Black Hole, the Homie material) that are just tremendous. The summer songs 2k1 demo begin this falling off, but in moments Modern Dukes, O Girl, and some others are alright and even good, but they fall outside of the window.
Beverly Hills is the latest step backwards for Weezer, the latest step on a path that started being getting traffic the summer before the Green Album came out.

Guzim

Scoot said:
Beverly Hills is the latest step backwards for Weezer, the latest step on a path that started being getting traffic the summer before the Green Album came out.
Are you serious? The Summer 2000 songs are amazing.

Zilch

Banned
enjoy bell woods said:
You ought to check the latest Good Charlotte and Simple Plan albums out.

I get it, you don't like the spoken word bridge. I'll agree that it's the worst part of the song, but I like the music behind it.

I actually agree with what Matlock said. If this was Weezer in 1994, we'd be drooling over this.

I have been a Weezer fan since 1994, ever since Undone hit the radio-waves and Buddy Holly burned itself onto MTV history and all the way to even starting a webpage for them (remember Weezer2k?). And if you think about it, those two singles weren't exactly "brilliant." They were...in a sense...commercial pop-rock fluff. Nothing really major or deep in the lyrics, but damn catchy songs. That is what Weezer is...they rely on melody to drive their success. Now...I consider Pinkerton the anomaly...even Rivers has talked about it written in a very painful time in his life, while he was relatively young. When you're young and you're in pain, you tend to be the most inspired. For some, it ends up being really bad poetry or just general angsty emotion. For Rivers, he wrote an album that most geeks who had grown up with Blue could embrace.

The Green Album was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. Weezer fans had grown up, and were ready to see them return to take the rock crown...right where Pinkerton left off. But Rivers was no longer going through leg surgery, he was out of college, and he was starting to enjoy the success of being a "rock-star" again. It was a summer album, what I consider their "Beach Boys" album. And it very much succeeded in capturing that formula. With Ocasek back behind the producer's chair, Weezer ushered in the summer with Hash Pipe (Rivers trying to gain ground in the increasingly crowded pop-punk radio market) and Island in the Sun (meh...not a personal favorite IMO). Maladroit...well...that's the fan's album. Except...it was an experiment that went horribly awry. Rivers thought it would be fun to actually listen to the fans for once, and let them dictate what sort of album they would make. I think in a way, he knew it would turn out shit. "You guys want more solos? More guitars? A harder sound? Here, I'll let you have it." Rivers has always been Weezer, and Weezer is Rivers. But with the fans controlling his domain, everything fell apart.

Personally, I don't know where Make Believe is headed. I'm hoping it will be a return to Blue-style Weezer, but I know that's probably a long-shot. I know we will never get a Pinkerton, and I'm kind of happy for that. There's only one Pinkerton, just like there's only one OK Computer, and one White Album, or one Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I appreciate those albums as masterpieces, and I think I would appreciate them less if they just tried to repeat those successes. Lightning in a bottle.

Anyway...those are just my thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em. I'll turn up the radio if Beverly Hills comes on, and will probably end up buying Make Believe out of old habit, but Blue and Pink will always take the cake. Rawk.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The blue album was great power pop. Yes, it was catchy, but it was also well written and just sounded great.

Beverly Hills fits none of these. It's not catchy, it isn't well written musically or lyrically, and it sounds like hell.

I stand by my assertion that this is the worst thing that they've recorded.

And this is not nostalgia speaking, I didn't even begin to get into Weezer until 2001. The Blue Album, by itself, is a great album. As is Pinkerton. Green and Maladroit aren't terrible on a whole, but when compared to the first two they are big disappointments. Beverly Hills, on the other hand, is absolutely miserable. It would be the worst thing ever recorded by most bands.

nitewulf

Pedigree Chum said:
I don't mind the remix version, the regular one isn't so hot IMO. Still not up to Weezer's best, but far from terrible.

Oh and I'm making a Wezzer playlist for the PSP, so far I've chosen then following tracks:

Buddy Holly
Suzanne
Island in the Sun
Beverly Hills (remix)
No one else
Say it ain't so
Keep fishing
The Sweater Song
The world has turned...
Dope Nose
El Scorcho
Jaime (Acoutsic)

Any choice tracks I missed?
actually pretty much the rest of the blue album.

i was all ready to rant about you guys being a bunch of elitist pricks...and then i heard the song.
it's like a bad version of "i love rock and roll"...w/o the attitude and emo-fied. what...are...they...thinking.

Diablos

I disagree with what Matlock said. If the year was 1994 and this song came out, no one would have liked it. Blue and Pinkerton were standout albums that Weezer will never top. This thread would not even exist today if Weezer put out stuff like Green Album in 1994.

Shit, 1994 was over 10 years ago. :eek:
All these bands we love, the albums are soooo old. Amazing.

Socreges

Banned
smirkrevenge said:
If this was Weezer in 1994, we'd be drooling over this.

And if you think about it, those two singles weren't exactly "brilliant." They were...in a sense...commercial pop-rock fluff. Nothing really major or deep in the lyrics, but damn catchy songs. That is what Weezer is...they rely on melody to drive their success.
No doubt. But what you're denying is that perhaps Blue was considerably BETTER at this than anything since (sans Pinkerton, the anomaly). Or that Beverly Hills is somewhat devoid of a strong melody in remarkably managing to be simultaneously upbeat and dull. I like the sound of the chorus, but dislike everything else. As far as I'm concerned, that's unique to post-Pinkerton Weezer.

Archaix said:
And this is not nostalgia speaking, I didn't even begin to get into Weezer until 2001.
Same here, actually. Early 2001. I was introduced to the Blue album (Buddy Holly sounded familiar, of course -- but I was only 10 in 94), was hooked, and bought it that week. I became such a fan that I bought Pinkerton blindly, though I was a little disappointed at first (it's such a departure). After a few days it began to rival Blue and still does; I don't even bother choosing which I prefer.

kablooey

I can't judge yet, because I still haven't heard it...

Can anyone hook me up with an mp3? Thanks. :)

(I hope this isn't a bannable post...?)

Edit: Nevermind!! I just found it somewhere. I'll listen to it shortly...

Honestly now...

Who here actually LIKED Pinkerton when it first came out?

Just a curious question...I actually didn't like El Scorcho when it first started airing on the radio. I was weirded out by it. Of course, I love it now.

I do agree with everyone that is saying that Beverly Hills is a worse song when compared to anything on Blue. Blue and Pink are still untouchable. And you're right...10 years is a long time. I actually received Blue as a birthday present. I still have a picture of me opening it up and the look of joy on my face. Priceless.

Zilch

Banned
I loved Pinkerton when I first heard it. Instantly fell in love.

Dude you gotta stop trying to play apologist for latter-day Weezer. It ain't right.

bridegur

Anyone that thinks the vocals are bad on this song are kidding themselves. This is the best Rivers has sounded on a record since Pinkerton.

kablooey

Well, after listening to it, I partially agree with Matlock. The song's cheesy, sure, but just as much as something like "Surf Wax America". And while the lyrics are...also cheesy, they're definitely recognizable as Weezer-esque.

I think Blue is a good album, but overrated due to nostalgia. Pinkerton's their only real masterpiece, imo. But then, these days I don't really see Weezer, even from their Blue days, as anything more than a second-rate imitator of Pavement, the Pixies, etc., so my opinion probably doesn't count for much among the die-hards here. :p

Pavement > Weezer..

Not sure if I want to hear Beverly Hills though. I thought Maladroit was pretty good, Green sucked, Pinkerton's great, a near masterpiece, and Blue's incredible as well.

Zilch

Banned
bridegur said:
Anyone that thinks the vocals are bad on this song are kidding themselves. This is the best Rivers has sounded on a record since Pinkerton.

Bridegur I totally agree with you. These vocals (among other things) give me real hope for the rest of the album.

LukeSmith

smirkrevenge said:
Honestly now...

Who here actually LIKED Pinkerton when it first came out?

Just a curious question...I actually didn't like El Scorcho when it first started airing on the radio. I was weirded out by it. Of course, I love it now.

I do agree with everyone that is saying that Beverly Hills is a worse song when compared to anything on Blue. Blue and Pink are still untouchable. And you're right...10 years is a long time. I actually received Blue as a birthday present. I still have a picture of me opening it up and the look of joy on my face. Priceless.

I did. I bought Pinkerton the day it came out and loved it from the moment I heard it.
Beverly Hills is horrible.
They have recorded almost nothing worse than this song.
And yes, I've heard pretty much everything they've recorded.

It's ok. The song is pretty simple and the band gets there point across after only one listen. Not terribly deep, even by Weezer Standards (At least in the case of Blue and Pinkerton). I have no clue what to expect from this album, Beverly Hills tells me jack shit about how the album is going to be like, so this is going to be an interesting buy.

LukeSmith

Sirpopopop said:
It's ok. The song is pretty simple and the band gets there point across after only one listen. Not terribly deep, even by Weezer Standards (At least in the case of Blue and Pinkerton). I have no clue what to expect from this album, Beverly Hills tells me jack shit about how the album is going to be like.

From someone with an avatar of the best record from the 90s, I'd expect a little less forgiveness of this crap :D

Scoot said:
From someone with an avatar of the best record from the 90s, I'd expect a little less forgiveness of this crap :D

I only listened to the song once. My reaction to the song is pretty much, "blah". Blah to me = Ok, and better than, "My entrails are being sucked out of my body by 10 giant flesh sucking maggots from Ishtar's divine anus."

If this was 1994, we would be drooling over it, yes. But it's 2005. Music evolves. If Nirvana never existed and released their debut album today, would it get nearly as much attention and praise? Nope. If The Shining was released today using current technology in regards to sound and picture, would it be an instant classic? Doubt it.

Saying that a new album/song would be enjoyable if it was released over a decade earlier is not really a good thing at all. It just says that it's stale.

kablooey

Teknopathetic said:
I don't take anyone with a Thom Yorke avatar's opinion seriously anyway?

:lol Chill out, dude. I said several times in that short post of mine that my opinion doesn't count for much. No need to get defensive. :)

But anyway...listening to this song again, and I like it less. :/ That was to be expected though...

Socreges

Banned
kablooey said:
The song's cheesy, sure, but just as much as something like "Surf Wax America".
Eh, I think that's a disservice to Surf Wax. It's a song that has gone from one of my least liked songs on Blue (not such a bad thing - just 10 of them and all great) to its place on my very exclusive [present] Weezer mix playlist. :)

And while the lyrics are...also cheesy, they're definitely recognizable as Weezer-esque.
I think they're much more simple and straight-forward than anything on Blue or Pinkerton. Painfully so.

Memles

Yeah...I'm not one to talk here (I have probably listened to the Green Album too much to have my opinion be valued in this post), but alas.

1) I love the Green Album...as an album. As a Weezer album, it's kind of lame, but as 28 minutes of fun pop rock I can't complain. It flows together well, and in my honest opinion is a great little listen. It'll never be as good of an album as Pinkerton or Blue, but I think it's far too often attacked.

2) I'm indifferent towards Maladroit...I really like a few songs, but others are kind of meh. There is nothing I outright hate...but there is little I don't outright love on Pinkerton and Blue.

3) Beverly Hills is a boring ass song with a chorus that, at its best, only deserves to be a catchy bridge, not something repeated constantly in place of something actually musically interesting. It is uninteresting in every way, and while I find myself repeating the chorus, it's in pure spite of myself.

Mason

Just to qualify what I'm about to say: my favorite Weezer album is Pinkerton.

Ok,

Beverly Hills is a great song. Sorry, but if you guys are convinced Weezer is some great, deep band with an evolving sound, you're misleading yourself. Enjoy it.

Teddman

It's already getting tons of airplay in the So Cal area. I'm going to drive down Santa Monica Blvd and blast it at max volume, watch all the rich folks bust out of their mansions and start moshing on the lawn. :lol

Socreges

Banned
Mason said:

Ok,

Beverly Hills is a great song. Sorry, but if you guys are convinced Weezer is some great, deep band with an evolving sound, you're misleading yourself. Enjoy it.
I'm sorry, but liking Pinkerton doesn't make it anymore OK in my mind to suggest that we don't like Beverly Hills because it isn't an evolution or something "deep". You like it. Fine. But shut up. :p

Mason said:

Ok,

There's no being misled in seeing the song for what it is - bland garbage.

Rorschach

Just heard it today. No sir, I don't like it. Some parts of the song seemed like they were just struggling to get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom