• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Al Yankovic starring in musical episode of My Little Pony this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
L1whHe4.jpg

So, wait, what is this?

An upcoming episode of the popular cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic will feature the one and only Weird Al Yankovich as a rival party planner named Cheese Sandwich to wacky party pony, Pinkie Pie. The episode is titled "Pinkie Pride" and here's an official synopsis:

An elated Pinkie Pie is planning the biggest and best "birth-iversary" party ever for Rainbow Dash, but when another party planning pony named Cheese Sandwich rides into town, plans change. Soon, everypony is so excited about Cheese Sandwich's party that they forget about Pinkie Pie, but her pride won't let her go down without an official "goof off," on "My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic," Saturday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m. ET/ 7:30 a.m. PT on the Hub Network.

It's also worth noting this episode was written by Amy Keating Rogers, one of the top writers of the Golden Age of CN shows (PPG, Fosters, and Dexter's Lab)

And here's an official clip!

Ugh, did you Bronies REALLY have to litter GAF with ANOTHER thread?

Now now, don't get your manly tighty-whities in a twist. We (as in Pony GAF) felt this was a special occasion worth its own Mini-OT/Hype thread. We wanted to help get the word out for those who may love Weird Al but may be indifferent toward the show who otherwise would have no idea this was happening.

But, a voiceover by Weird Al isn't exactly new or groundbreaking...

You're right, Weird Al has lent his pipes for a bunch of fun guest appearance on animated shows. Adventure Time, DC Nation, Transformers, Brave and the Bold, etc. What makes this special is that it's a musical episode. As in we'll actually be hearing some tunes from him. Again, we thought it would be nice to get the word out for people who aren't necessarily fans of the show, but love Weird Al. Plus, there's a very charming piece of history behind this which makes it special.

This whole thing actually started way back in 2011 when the show was first taking off. A Youtube user named FluttershyElsa made an MLP music video (popularly referred to as PMV) called Pony Polka using his Polka-fied medley, Polkarama. He followed it up with Angry Pony Polka-video II using Angry White Boy Polka. Weird Al himself praised the video on Twitter, encouraging Fluttershyelsa to keep killing it. This also prompted Jayson Theissen (Executive Producer and Series Director of MLP) to tweet him an offer to appear on the show. Fans went nuts, and aside from a tease here and there, things have gone really quiet until now. Here's also what songwriter Daniel Ingram said about the upcoming episode:

Last year I got the news from Hasbro that none other than Weird Al Yankovic, one of my childhood musical idols, would be guest starring on My Little Pony, and.....*drum roll*... It would be a MUSICAL! After the initial panic attack ("I'm not worthy!!") I got to work on what turned out to be some of the funnest, craziest, and sweetest songs of the series so far. Next came the trip to L.A. to record with the man himself and it did not disappoint. I won't say much more at this point, except to hang onto your hats and watch the historic episode in 2.5 weeks time! Are you ready?!

Well GAF, ARE YOU?

And now for the media for your Weird Al hyping pleasure!

FluttershyElsa's Pony Polka Playlist

Hardware Store by Limey Lassen (not directly related, but it IS a pretty awesome version of Weird Al's Hardware Store done to MLP.

Your Ponyscope for Today by the Skullivan (Your Horoscope for Today)

The Ballad of Stephanie by Mr. Pilkington

I'll be glad to add suggestions provided.

Also this is my first time doing anything resembling an OT, even though this is more of a Hype thread than an OT.

His design reminds me a little too much of that male Pinkie Pie I've seen around, Bubble Berry, down the front curl. Other than that, hope it's a good episode.

This will the first MLP episode that I watch. Really curious to see what all the fuss is about.

It's gonna be a musical episode, so if you don't like the show's style of music (like I do), there's a good chance you won't like it on those grounds.

Weird Al was apparently involved in songs' writing process, though, so it could be better than it usually is.

UberTag

Weird Al was apparently involved in songs' writing process, though, so it could be better than it usually is.
Do we know just "how involved" Weird Al was when conceiving the music for this episode?
Was it a fully collaborative process with Daniel Ingram?

My take is that the more Weird Al influence we get on Cheese Sandwich's songs this ep, the better. Just for the novelty of it.
Ingram's great and all but this show gets to hear his contribution every week.

HUELEN10

Cheese Sandwich is nothing more thank male Pinkie who wears Clint Eastwood Garb.

Has it been confirmed that some of the songs are actually Al's, or is it all Daniel's work? "Involved" sounds pretty vague.

No joke, this might be the first My Little Pony episode I ever watch. I like Weird Al so I can't skip it. Something I've noticed, is that Weird Al appears in a lot of cartoons lately.

Robot Chicken
Adventure Time
Annoying Orange
Back At The Barnyard
Mad

The guy is all over cartoons, not that I'm complaining. He usually appears for a few seconds to say a joke, or sing.

HUELEN10

What confuses me is the fact that some outlets hyped this so much as a musical episode; it's been done on the show before, it's nothing new.

No joke, this might be the first My Little Pony episode I ever watch.

I.....might actually watch this..... :(

This will the first MLP episode that I watch. Really curious to see what all the fuss is about.
Protip: If you watch it, watch it as you would watch anything else; don't treat it special.

What confuses me is the fact that some outlets hyped this so much as a musical episode; it's been done on the show before, it's nothing new.

I would assume it means more than one song (which HAS been done before but not very often, and then it's only been two parters)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ticket Master, Best Night Ever and A Friend in Deed too.

I don't count epsidoes with a few random 10 second Pinkie songs as musicals. Magical Mystery Cure is the only episode they've done that I think counts as a musical. It had 4 major songs in a 22 minute episode.

His design reminds me a little too much of that male Pinkie Pie I've seen around, Bubble Berry, down the front curl. Other than that, hope it's a good episode.

Sure the design is intentional, as he apparently is going to pretty much be a male version of Pinkie.

HUELEN10

For those that want to see it early, the episode of now on Google Play. It's solid; almost lost it when Al started singing SPOILER
Smile Smile Smile
, that was amazing.

$200

Banned
Huhmm....didn't like the episode, and I usually love musicals :(

Thought all the characters are the most one-dimensional ever seen in the show. It just has guest episode written all over it.

Maybe I'll like it more on rewatch though.

Edit: Pinkie's solo song was awesome.

Edit2: I kind of like it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom