• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird noise from PS5 disc drive on start up

solidus12

Hey guys, so I had my PS5 for more than a year now, and whenever I turn it on with no disc inside there's this mechanical noise coming up from the disc drive.
A friend of mine get his PS5 recently and I asked him if he had the same issue; he said that he doesn't.

I managed to find a video on YouTube:

Do you have the same noise when you turn on your PS5 without a disc inside?
Please watch with the the volume up and let me know.

Thanks.

Edit: here’s a Reddit thread discussing the same "issue" seems like it’s a common thing 🤔

Last edited:

Aenima

Yes, i think its the laser moving to position, cant remember well but im almost sure my PS4 does the same noise too. Thers nothing wrong with ur console.

Last edited:

Jaybe

star trek GIF

ZoukGalaxy

Your console is totally dead, trash it IMMEDIATELY, it's extremely dangerous to keep it for your safety, it can blow anytime.
Please inform me when you proceed to do so and where, I want to be sure it will be properly recycled by supervising personally.

Thank you,
Best Regards.
Fire Fail GIF

Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That's the sound of the power wave that gets shot out of the system each time you turn it on because it's so full of next gen power. That's not a faulty laser or coil whine, no no no, sir. That's PLANET whine. Earth's particles in the very air surrounding a PS5 begin to atomize as soon as the login jingle happens. In fact, that jingle (fun trivia) was created with background noise consisting of frequencies higher than the human ear can decipher, and this is, of course, to warn any small mammals or seasonal insects that somewhere within ten miles of them, SHIT IS ABOUT. TO. GO. DOWN. Cross gen? PAH, Cross-Gen is the name of the PS5'S ultimate attack once it reaches mech form.

If you have PS+ as well, you better sound those air sirens. Skynet is active. And currently playing only the most cutting edge in cinematic character driven single player action games.

jaysius

Banned
Yes, i think its the laser moving to position, cant remember well but im almost sure my PS4 does the same noise too. Thers nothing wrong with ur console.
My PS4 and PS4 Pro never did that once.

This is a PS5 defect.

It sounds like plastic gears moving.

Aenima

My PS4 and PS4 Pro never did that once.

This is a PS5 defect.

It sounds like plastic gears moving.
Its not a defect. Its normal from the drive. Yes it sounds like the gears moving the laser in position, or the drive doing a quick spin to chack if thers a disk inside.

Cant remember well is my PS4 also did this or not, and im too lasy to plug it in to test. His frind might not hear it cuz maybe his PS5 uses a differend brand drive that dosent actually moves when powered up.

Grechy34

Hey guys, so I had my PS5 for more than a year now, and whenever I turn it on with no disc inside there's this mechanical noise coming up from the disc drive.
A friend of mine get his PS5 recently and I asked him if he had the same issue; he said that he doesn't.

I managed to find a video on YouTube:

Do you have the same noise when you turn on your PS5 without a disc inside?
Please watch with the the volume up and let me know.

Thanks.

Texas College Engineering GIF by Lamar University

That's the sound of the power wave that gets shot out of the system each time you turn it on because it's so full of next gen power. That's not a faulty laser or coil whine, no no no, sir. That's PLANET whine. Earth's particles in the very air surrounding a PS5 begin to atomize as soon as the login jingle happens. In fact, that jingle (fun trivia) was created with background noise consisting of frequencies higher than the human ear can decipher, and this is, of course, to warn any small mammals or seasonal insects that somewhere within ten miles of them, SHIT IS ABOUT. TO. GO. DOWN. Cross gen? PAH, Cross-Gen is the name of the PS5'S ultimate attack once it reaches mech form.

If you have PS+ as well, you better sound those air sirens. Skynet is active. And currently playing only the most cutting edge in cinematic character driven single player action games.
dQWhhZG.gif

Loved it, would read again 😂

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That sounds like the laser trying to reset back to position but being dragged too far and clicking on the housing it's sat in, I've experienced similar years ago with various laser equipped devices. CD walkmen, dvd players, ps one etc If its that it's not right and usually the sound of a failing component.

I'll go try mine now and report back. Do you have a disk in the drive or is it empty? Does it do it on every boot?

Another thought, it would be interesting to see if Sony uses multiple manufacturers of drives in ps5 and this is a bi product of using a generic firmware that is causing some lasers to try and reset further than the model is designed for.

Last edited:

solidus12

I'll go try mine now and report back. Do you have a disk in the drive or is it empty? Does it do it on every boot?
No disc inserted, and yes it does that on evey boot (when there's no disc)
And I've never had a problem with my console for more than a year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No disc inserted, and yes it does that on evey boot (when there's no disc)
And I've never had a problem with my console for more than a year.

Hey dude, Yes mine does it with no disk inserted. I always have a disk in so ive never heard it. Ive left a disk in the drive now as that does not sound healthy, hopefully sony can fix it with a firmware update. Deffo must be the laser resetting or checking for a disk but it doesnt sound great imo.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Pretty sure its the laser tracking and/or the spindle(the thing that holds discs in the center) spinning then realizing nothings there so it skrr skrrs to a halt.

Simple unit to unit variation will have it be louder on some compared to others.
General burn-in can lead to the sound becoming audible later down the line.
My Xbox VCR and OG PS3 made a very similar noise.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
I have 3 launch PS5s in my gaming gang and none do that sound, sounds weird to me. Like not anything like disc based systems I have had sound when booting.

Keep disc in = no (that) noise?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have 3 launch PS5s in my gaming gang and none do that sound, sounds weird to me. Like not anything like disc based systems I have had sound when booting.

Keep disc in = no (that) noise?

its only doing it when no disk is inserted, I always have a disk inserted in mine so i never noticed it. Maybe, try taking your disks out and trying...but maybe not...You dont want to hear it..hahaha

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Mine makes a similar sound but quieter and less grindy can’t even hear it unless I put my ear up next to my ps5

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I don't think mine does it, but that's because 90% of the times have a disc inside the console and I get the jet noise.

I'll try later on without a disc.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Mine does it, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

It sounds like the disc rollers briefly spinning on console boot up without a disc in.

Case in point. Eject a disc, leave the disc where it's ejected to and turn the console off then on. It immediately loads the disc into the drive.

Last edited:

skit_data

It’s the Playstation rubber ducks inside that are getting squeezed together to make room for the games that are about to be played

anthony2690

Banned
I must be deaf, am I missing what sound am I meant to be hearing?

I hear heavy breathing, but I doubt that is the ps5.

That being said when I had a ps5 it was really loud for the first few minutes every time I turned it on when playing a game then it would calm down.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
can't wait for that PS5 with the swappable disk drive amirite?
Maybe that's the reason there's been talk about it.

The rumor comes close to this issue. Of course there can always be faulty hardware, it's too early to say if its a common problem.

I think the original xbox one also suffered from this. At least mine did.

skit_data

I must be deaf, am I missing what sound am I meant to be hearing?

I hear heavy breathing, but I doubt that is the ps5.

That being said when I had a ps5 it was really loud for the first few minutes every time I turned it on when playing a game then it would calm down.
After the ”beep” there is a short grinding/squeaky sound almost like a cable tie. I didn’t hear it at first either but it doesn’t sound normal.

Last edited:
Whether it's normal or not, none of us actually know. Are sony using different drives? I know the fans can be different on each PS5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine doesn't seem to make this sound. The drive makes a soft sound like it is resetting position but no clicking or grinding.

Mine does it as well. I don't think it did it first out of the box when I was using discs, but probably started after a patch (maybe?). First time it happened I thought that brief, electric screwdriver sound was coming from the Dualsense. No idea why it happens but the console itself works perfectly. The only other issue is some slight coil whine that's easily ignorable.

jm89

Yeah mine does it too, never noticed it until this thread. Don't have any discs in either.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably just another thing that some PS5s do and others don't, like how some have very apparent coil whine and others don't, some have much louder fans than others, etc. The quality control of this console is not great. Or rather, they accept these minor defects as "normal".

Yes mines has it, i noticed it like a few months after having the console. It bothered me at first bc i couldnt remeber if it was there when i first used it.

Been months later and its never failed me so i learned to live with it

solidus12

Hey guys, any other comments?
Mine still does it when there's no disc inside the console, and I'm still not used to it.

Top Bottom