• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BorkBork said:
-Everyone's already mentioned it. The puzzles in general aren't that great, save for two memorable ones
Upside down puzzle and Mila fainting.
The
chalk puzzle in particular didn't make any sense. How does dusting chalk or flour on a pen bring back faded letters anyways?
I did like some of the red herrings and alternative solutions they put in.

IIRC,
the name was engraved, but the material or ink that was embedded into the pen was faded and gone, leaving only faint grooves where the name was. The chalk/flour filled in the grooves and acted like temporary ink, making the engraving legible again, temporarily.

RPS37

BorkBork said:
Some pieces of music don't quite fit the mood the game was trying to create. Actually just one piece, but it's the one that's heard most often. The main hotel theme is way too cheery for a dingy place that was Hotel Dusk.

I don't know if it's more or less fitting to the game, but I personally really dislike the damn hoe-down music a bit more than the walking-around-the-hotel-elevator music.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
RPS37 said:
I don't know if it's more or less fitting to the game, but I personally really dislike the damn hoe-down music a bit more than the walking-around-the-hotel-elevator music.

I thought hoe-down worked for Rosa pretty well actually.

Mejilan explanation

Hmm that would make more sense. It wouldn't have been an issue if I could actually inspect the item.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the only music that worked well was the confessional theme with the discordnant piano plunking. the rest didn't fit the situation at all, and some of it got waaaay too cheesy for me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BorkBork said:
Hmm that would make more sense. It wouldn't have been an issue if I could actually inspect the item.

Pretty sure it was clearly explained in the game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mattiewheels said:
the only music that worked well was the confessional theme with the discordnant piano plunking. the rest didn't fit the situation at all, and some of it got waaaay too cheesy for me.

It's the 70's man.

painey

beat it in 4 days, 14hr12m total and didnt use a guide at all. Got stuck about 4 times but worked it out eventually and i got the
Kyle leaves with Mila
ending

Excellent game, I would have liked to see a murder mystery/detective style game in the same way, I would have loved to look for clues and interogate, etc. Much better than Trace Memory!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I going into official threads before I've completed a game <.<

but I ordered it from ncsx.com yesterday, woho. Now I just need to beat contact before I receive hotel dusk. :\

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My favourite theme is the reviewing theme at the end of each chapter, I wished they used it more often.

NotWii

Banned
I've reached Chapter 8 and the characters, dialogue and story have grown on me big time.
I'll finish it off tomorrow.

jj984jj said:
My favourite theme is the reviewing theme at the end of each chapter, I wished they used it more often.
HIGH FIVE!

One of my favourites in the game!
It's so damn catchy.

SumGamer

jj984jj said:

If you are talking about theme then yes. Otherwise, I hate that reviewing part.

jj984jj

Yeah, just the theme, it was a shame that they used it for the annoying review section.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
What I wonder is just what Kyle
plans on doing with Mila now that she's gone with him. I have an idea of what Louie'd like to do if she had stayed, but she's like a 9 year old in a 19 year old body, and that would be so wrong.

jdforge

Banned
Let me just slip in here a second and say sorry for taking this thread on a slight tangent, but I've been reading how much you all love this game, and well a mate of mine loves it too. So much infact that he has went and done this.

http://www.pressstartonline.co.uk/view.php?item=252

I know there are some PAL gamers in here, who would like to see HD sell well in EU. Maybe some of you would like to help out with this campaign.

needlejuice said:
http://www.pressstartonline.co.uk/view.php?item=252

I know there are some PAL gamers in here, who would like to see HD sell well in EU. Maybe some of you would like to help out with this campaign.

Hotel Dusk hasn't been confirmed for a PAL release yet

Seriously? From what I heard, PAL get's it on Feb. 22. You sure 'your mate' hasn't just checked around and saw that no one has it int their system? Cuz that happened in the US too. On the day after release, some stores didn't have it in their system. Some still don't.

Are you suggesting Wikipedia is lying to me? How could that even happen?!

RPS37

BorkBork said:
I thought hoe-down worked for Rosa pretty well actually.

Agreed.

jj984jj said:

Also agreed. I think I really like the Game Over music too. :lol

painey

Hotel Dusk has been confirmed for a Euro (no such thing as PAL DS game) release, I was looking at the screenshots on Nintendo Europe just this morning. Any english speaking gamer who really cares about games should just import anyway, its even cheaper than a UK release thanks to the piss-weak dollar.

jj984jj

Finished the game.

duckroll said:
There's a logic gap in this puzzle.

The pencil/file event will refuse to trigger even if you have read the book unless you check out the faulty connection under the table first. It's unfortunate that there are logic gaps like this in the programming throughout the game, because sometimes it can be quite annoying.
Thanks for posting this ducky, I was stuck there because of that. It was the only time I got stuck fortunately so the experience of playing this game was a blast. :D

Finished it today. Awesome game, some of the most fun I've had on the DS and a true showcase of its abilities. Utterly entertaining and original.

I also love that reviewing theme.

milkham

DarthWoo said:
What I wonder is just what Kyle
plans on doing with Mila now that she's gone with him. I have an idea of what Louie'd like to do if she had stayed, but she's like a 9 year old in a 19 year old body, and that would be so wrong.

and yet, so right!

I just started my second play through and the ability to speed up the text is soooo nice. Aside from text speed and
Kyle and Rachel being more chatty on the phone
is there any further difference?

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Okay, I've just finished the third chapter of Phoenix Wright ("he's" alive?!?!?!), so I thought I'd take a break and try this game which I picked up not too long ago. I got two minutes into the opening movie...and I had to turn the system off. The style, the art, the ambiance...it was so beautiful that I wanted to wait, let what had just happened sink in, and re-watch the sequence later. Weird, huh?

Without a doubt, the Nintendo DS is my favorite system of all time.

seat

I'm too lazy to look through this entire thread, but what do you have to do in order to trigger the
leave-with-Mila
ending? Is it dependent on the so-called "red waves"? Do you have to get not one of those to get the ending?

And what's the deal with the supposed
epilogues
? What do you have to do to trigger those? Sorry if all this stuff has already been addressed. Any help is appreciated.

SumGamer

seat said:
I'm too lazy to look through this entire thread, but what do you have to do in order to trigger the
leave-with-Mila
ending? Is it dependent on the so-called "red waves"? Do you have to get not one of those to get the ending?

And what's the deal with the supposed
epilogues
? What do you have to do to trigger those? Sorry if all this stuff has already been addressed. Any help is appreciated.

No, that is the easiest one.
Some say you have to perform CPR puzzle correctly. Some say you just have to visit Mila before leaving the hotel. I did both on the first round so I'm not sure what actually trigger it.

seat

SumGamer said:
No, that is the easiest one.
Some say you have to perform CPR puzzle correctly. Some say you just have to visit Mila before leaving the hotel. I did both on the first round so I'm not sure what actually trigger it.
Huh, so I actually got the harder-to-get ending? Interesting...

duckroll

milkham said:
and yet, so right!

I just started my second play through and the ability to speed up the text is soooo nice. Aside from text speed and
Kyle and Rachel being more chatty on the phone
is there any further difference?

You can get into room 220 in replays. You need to decode a message on the mysterious tape using the computer and the room will be unlocked.

SumGamer

duckroll said:
You can get into room 220 in replays. You need to decode a message on the mysterious tape using the computer and the room will be unlocked.
Eh? You mean the one
inside the room in the basement
? I got sidetrack with ALttP so I only got to 9PM so far.

NotWii

Banned
Just finished the game, what a trip!
I totally love this game, and I'll give it another spin after Trace Memory/Another Code.

Ending spoiler question:
Is there any way to tell Iris to give the casette tape to Dunning?

BTW, Who else feels sorry for Rachel?

Vexidus

Wii said:
Just finished the game, what a trip!
I totally love this game, and I I'll give it another spin after Trace Memory/Another Code.
I'm glad you warmed up to it!

Wii said:
Ok, I'm up to Chapter 5 and I'm finding this game pretty damn boring.

The game is well written, but it's so mundane and dull, what I am losing interest fast.
After reading that, and your views on Yoshi's Island DS, I thought there was no hope for you! :lol

I purchased this game as a means to entertain myself on my 45 minute train ride home. Here is what I've experienced so far.

- I've fallen asleep on the train 2 days out of 5. (When this game gets boring, man.. it gets boring quickly!)
- It has the best dialog I've seen in a recent game.
- It reminds me of the old Lucas Arts adventure games. (Monkey Island, Dott, full throttleish)
- It will make you want to play Lost in Blue again (or reserve Lost in Blue 2)

or as I want to call it
Lost'er in blue'r.

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
- It will make you want to play Lost in Blue again
Play it again? Why would anyone want to do that? Ever?

One try was enough for me. If any self-respecting teenage boy is trapped on an island with a teenage girl, and all he care's about is keeping them both alive...and not totally taking advantage of the situation, then you have a pointless game on your hands. Think of how they could have used the microphone. Seriously.:lol

RaidenZR said:
Yes, I have the recordings all set here. I just want to make sure all the tags are proper before it's gets distributed. Including the composer's name, which I stupidly forgot to pay attention to. I just don't have the time to play through this game again, unfortunately.
I'm almost done with Chapter 10. I'll get the Composers name soon. Then you can post all the ones with names. Then when people flock to see that, you can ask for the rest of the titles. Cool?

I need a little direction here:

I am at 5:40 in CH2. I've just used the wire cutters to cut the hanger to open the briefcase. I got the money out to go pay for my room and there's nobody at the front desk. I guess I'm just kinda stuck trying to figure out what is going to trigger the next sequence of events.

siamesedreamer said:

I am at 5:40 in CH2. I've just used the wire cutters to cut the hanger to open the briefcase. I got the money out to go pay for my room and there's nobody at the front desk. I guess I'm just kinda stuck trying to figure out what is going to trigger the next sequence of events.
Have you tried Dunnings Office?

Also, we have the first Hotel Dusk Fanart!:
Link
from the Court Records Boards

SumGamer

siamesedreamer said:

The man is in
the office

THE COMPOSERS NAME IS:

Satoshi Okubo

Now, do you still need titles for the songs? ANYONE REPLAYING PLEASE HELP.

But since I know a lot of us are unmotivated, can anyone tell me which chapter the bar is open first?

I sooo wear the pants in this relationship. Honestly. Making me play a game that I'm in love with? How could you.

ja30278

I hope this doesn't come off like a troll, but I _really_ hated this game. After seeing the review in EGM and reading the love fest across the internet, I was sure that it would be great, but I haven't disliked a game this much in a long time. Maybe I'm just not an adventure gamer, but I've never been so bored with a game in my life...the slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww text crawl, the interminable conversations...blecch. The worst part of it was the 'random' encounters...it actually gave me flashbacks to the random battles in JRPGs. I'd walk 5 feet down a hall and BOOM...15 minutes of conversation tree. I knew the game was text-heavy; I guess I just wasn't expecting a game where I never did _anything_ but occasionally tap the dpad

Again, don't want to rain on the parade of anyone who liked it, I just wanted to put this out there for anyone on the fence about buying it: if you're not an adventure gamer, you won't like it.

ja30278 said:
I hope this doesn't come off like a troll, but I _really_ hated this game. After seeing the review in EGM and reading the love fest across the internet, I was sure that it would be great, but I haven't disliked a game this much in a long time. Maybe I'm just not an adventure gamer, but I've never been so bored with a game in my life...the slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww text crawl, the interminable conversations...blecch. The worst part of it was the 'random' encounters...it actually gave me flashbacks to the random battles in JRPGs. I'd walk 5 feet down a hall and BOOM...15 minutes of conversation tree. I knew the game was text-heavy; I guess I just wasn't expecting a game where I never did _anything_ but occasionally tap the dpad

Again, don't want to rain on the parade of anyone who liked it, I just wanted to put this out there for anyone on the fence about buying it: if you're not an adventure gamer, you won't like it.
How far did you get ? If it's not chapter 10 then well...

a nod is the same as a wink to a blind bat.

RaidenZR

Buttonbasher said:
THE COMPOSERS NAME IS:

Satoshi Okubo

Now, do you still need titles for the songs? ANYONE REPLAYING PLEASE HELP.

But since I know a lot of us are unmotivated, can anyone tell me which chapter the bar is open first?

I sooo wear the pants in this relationship. Honestly. Making me play a game that I'm in love with? How could you.

The bar is open in Chapter 6: 9:00-10:00 PM if I recall.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it might not be that you're not an adventure gamer -- it might be that hotel dusk, like phoenix wright, belongs to some japanese genre that differs considerably from the pc graphic adventure. i've heard it called "visual novel." i'm not in the mood for parade-pissing either, but i really like graphic adventures and find dusk intolerably boring.

Buttonbasher said:
Play it again? Why would anyone want to do that? Ever?

One try was enough for me. If any self-respecting teenage boy is trapped on an island with a teenage girl, and all he care's about is keeping them both alive...and not totally taking advantage of the situation, then you have a pointless game on your hands. Think of how they could have used the microphone. Seriously.:lol

I uh.. hmm.. I really don't know how to handle your negative comments when I can't understand a single statement. So I'm going to guess that you don't like lost in blue. Which, is a game that I was actually quite pleased with.

Of course, I don't use sites like gameFAQs to figure out the solutions to difficult parts (or to explain why I keep starving to death). So I played that game for 3 months straight. In the end, I kind of didn't want to even leave the island. I was having fun treating it like animal crossing.

Where's the sequel? I want to fish again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I looking for a funny photoshop i saw somewhere i'm wondering if anyone here can post it..

It's a pic of Kyle talking to Phoenix wright on the phone?

RaidenZR

Even though I'm disappointed in GAF's nerd superpowers to provide me with the remaining track names (there's 7 missing titles but maybe some kind souls can provide that information sooner or later) I'm tossing the soundtrack rip here. This is not an OST, but it is direct audio and it's perfectly cut. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.

Oh, and anyone who wants to mirror or rehost, please do. I'll post the link here. I can't imagine my sendspace source will last long.

Album Art

Soundtrack Link
Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Sumidor

So I finally picked up the game and just finished chapter 1. So far, i'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's a lot like reading an interactive book. And the style is very very cool.

Top Bottom