• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Zeed

Banned
I must say that I've never really liked point and click adventures. For instance, I hated the Myst games and thought that they were perhaps the worst thing ever. Things have not changed for me as far as gameplay is concerned, but with Hotel Dusk the presentation, artwork, and most of all the fantastic dialogue is enough for me to suffer through the sequential drudgery of the "gameplay". I know some people actually like the gameplay, and for them this game must be a real treat, but it's not my cup of tea.

Still, can't deny it's well made.

Nick

End of Chapter 1. A few notes:

- Kyle Hyde is HOT, omggg. I would hit that digital caricature any day of the week.
- The music is fun in an elevator setting sorta way. No problems here.
- Selecting some items in your man purse/bag is sometimes difficult. Dumb.
- The puzzles so far are awesome. Not too hard, not too easy but just the amount of interaction you need to still feel like you're playing a video game.

I think it's more fair to compare Hotel Dusk to visual novels like Ever 17, Phoenix Wright, etc. than to literature or what the majority perceive to be video games.

Anyways, I have an idea on how to obtain the
Grace Epilogue, if it really exists.

1. Do the thing at the beginning where Kyle tells Iris she's hot and then she blushes. Something about her thinking you're a detective.

2. When you encounter her at 6pm in front of the restaurant talk to her but when she starts complaning about how she has never been treated so horribly by a child, DO NOT interrupt her. Just let the time pass and then she'll thank Kyle for taking the time to listen. If you interrupt her it'll lead to her calling you a jerk no matter what response you choose.

Then I guess you can try hitting on her on the roof at the end of Chapter 3 and maybe she won't think you're creepy.

I beat the game for the first time last night and got Jenny to come home and Kyle left with Mila. So room 220 definitely has no factor in it at all. My vending machine item was the pink bunny, which I never gave away, unfortunately.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
My girlfriend just picked this up for herself (I was really shocked but then again she does like mysteries) and I'm loving it so far. Great atmosphere and pretty interesting characters!

Code_Link

I think my biggest surprise was that there wasn't anything supernatural at all. CING never let it stray from the realistic, and I liked that.

Yeah, that was one of the best parts of the game. Near the end, I was thinking:
"Don't ruin this by forcing some ghost crap into the storyline".
Turns out they never did.

Excellent game.

Gigglepoo

Jive Turkey said:
My girlfriend just picked this up for herself (I was really shocked but then again she does like mysteries) and I'm loving it so far. Great atmosphere and pretty interesting characters!

Is your girlfriend a gamer? Does she play Adventure games? Does she read mystery novels?

You should tell us what she thinks. If you'd be so kind.

Branduil

Error2k4 said:
what's with gigglepoo crusade against this game?

It's not high literature, how can you guys accept such shoddy writing! What's wrong with you! Why don't you demand more! This is as bad as a Mark Twain novel!

Gigglepoo

Branduil said:
It's not high literature, how can you guys accept such shoddy writing! What's wrong with you! Why don't you demand more! This is as bad as a Mark Twain novel!

What I said:

Gigglepoo said:
But it lags far beyond even an average, half-assed novel.

In short, graphics and music have evolved exponentially in the 21 years I have been playing video games. Story has not. I expect more. Some people do not.

Gigglepoo said:
What I said:

In short, graphics and music have evolved exponentially in the 21 years I have been playing video games. Story has not. I expect more. Some people do not.

No offense, but your opinion is subjective, just like everyone else. Lots of people, including me, thought the writing in Hotel Dusk was great. This sort of thing is really a low blow, but honestly, someone named "Gigglepoo" (what was that, Anna-Nicole's dog?) and using a avatar apparently from the Blair Witch Project doesn't come off as an expert on what constitutes a good story or dialogue. (Okay, I have a dumb user name as well, but at least mine is inspired by the Simpsons)

Anyway, I think where you are mistaken is ragging on Hotel Dusk by comparing it to literature, or even books in general. Because for one, part of what makes a book good is the authors ability to describe the location, objects, the action going on, the characters. Hotel Dusk doesn't do any of those through the written word, but relying on graphics.

The only thing you can judge Hotel Dusk on is by its dialogue (since pretty much all the text in the game is dialogue). And in my opinion, that's great. Not only did it come off as being realistic (and timely, I only spotted a few anachoristic phrases being used), pretty much each character in the game has unique speech patterns.

In particular, the bar scene is a thing of beauty - specifically where Kyle orders and drinks a bourbon. Heh, I hate to think how many kids started drinking because of that, but it was just amazing.

I would also disagree with people on the puzzles in the game. For the most part, they aren't really meant to be "puzzles", that is things that made you think. They are meant to make the story more immersive. Like having to take things out of a bin to find an object. It's not meant to be hard, just to make you feel like you really searched a laundry bin. Or decorating the tree. That was hardly a puzzle, but it did make you feel like you were really putting up a tree.

Gigglepoo

trancejeremy said:
The only thing you can judge Hotel Dusk on is by its dialogue (since pretty much all the text in the game is dialogue). And in my opinion, that's great. Not only did it come off as being realistic (and timely, I only spotted a few anachoristic phrases being used), pretty much each character in the game has unique speech patterns.

Thank you for intelligently replying to my comments. Of course, you had to take a shot at my name. Any insult that could be levied at Gigglepoo seems far too obvious. It's my own invention, though. If people think I'm a 12 year old child, so be it. It makes me laugh. As far as my avatar goes, my eye has existed long before The Blair Witch Project, thank you very much.

You do raise a good point. The characters in Hotel Dusk were really well developed. I did notice how each spoke in a different speech pattern, and definitely appreciated the author's high falutin tone.

However, I think this game reads more like a parody of contemporary mysteries rather than a worthwhile story of its own. Kyle Hyde is obviously modeled after the basis ex-cop who can't give up his badge archetype we've seen a million times before. It was hard to get behind his motivations when it felt like a Saturday Night Live sketch. And the story was just too long and meandering for its own good. There was not any twist or even plot point (aside from the early stages of Mellisa's story) that really got me excited. It felt like a paint by numbers mystery.

My problem is that people seem to be content with it. Admittedly, other people may not read mysteries. They may not realize how cliche Hotel Dusk is. But I just want more. It is a good start, Cing clearly understands dialog, which is why I can't wait for their next adventure.

An original story with better pacing would be a joy to play. I'm hard on Hotel Dusk because the potential is so obvious but they have a long way to go. If we fawn over it, we may not see the evolution Cing is clearly capable of.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Gigglepoo said:
Is your girlfriend a gamer? Does she play Adventure games? Does she read mystery novels?

You should tell us what she thinks. If you'd be so kind.
Yeah she's a gamer...Pretty casual and a Nintendo fangirl but I'm trying to fix that. I introduced her to point and click adventures about a year ago (King's Quest) and she really liked them. Still I was surprised when she came home with a copy of Hotel Dusk yesterday and asked me if it was supposed to be any good before she opened it.

And sure I'll keep you updated on what she thinks if you like. I don't think she's finished with the first chapter. I can't tell you though because I've only gotten to 215 and talked to Rachel. Last I heard from my girlfriend she was muttering something about
needing hanging wire to open her suitcase

Gigglepoo

Jive Turkey said:
needing hanging wire to open her suitcase

My girlfriend is always muttering the same thing. Women.

I just remembered that part, though. Could you have used
the paper clip
instead? I never did figure out what that was for.

icecream

Public Health Threat
You're supposed to
try the paperclip first and fail, then find the coat hanger and use it along with the pliers

Nick

I'm so stuck on Chapter 3 it hurts. Seriously. Three and a half hours of my life. Gone.

(This is my first point and click adventure game.) :(

duckroll said:
Check out the chalkboard sign just outside the restaurant. There are pieces of chalk at the corner of it. Use those to uncover the message on the pen.
Retarded.

and 10 percent

retarded.

This puzzle alone makes me like this game just a little less. Are you ****ing kidding me? Peace out, four hours of my life. (I NEVER would have guess that.)

Edit 2: I'm super pissed about this. Nowhere in the game do they talk about this whole
pen
thing being important. Who would even take the time to look in the far right corner of a
chalk board
for something you're not even aware of in the first place? I didn't even know this was what I was looking to do! Seriously. Hotel Dusk. Big mistake. This puzzle was beyond retarded. I don't like this game as much anymore.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Branduil said:
Huh? For that puzzle I
used the flour in the kitchen.
So did I, actually that puzzle took me the longest as well, though it didn't take me 4 hours. >_>

Nick

jj984jj said:
So did I, actually that puzzle took me the longest as well, though it didn't take me 4 hours. >_>
I don't skip dialogue in any game, and I read (and re-read!) everything that is presented to me if I don't understand it (which isn't often). I feel this was a terribly designed puzzle, and since you are asked to complete two tasks at the same time, (
The bookmark thing, followed by Denono giving you the pen RIGHT AFTER you are asked about the bookmark.
) I was utterly confused about what I should "focus" on. So I surfed the entire hotel, six to eight times over, touching every f**king thing in the game, hoping a clue would pop up about what I should be doing.

Nothing.

Terrible puzzle.

So If the only thing I can get is lipstick from the vending machine, would that change later on so I could get the Rabbit? The Lipstick isn't providing anything more interesting then giving away food. Whereas the Rabbit
would hopefully give me the Jenny ending. Right?

Sigh....

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
woxel1 said:
Absolutely.
EDIT: But press on. There's nothing quite like this again.
Well he might not like the
Osterzone
puzzle at the end either.

woxel1

jj984jj said:
Well he might not like the
Osterzone
puzzle at the end either.
At least there's a puzzle there. Actually, the only two things that stumped me after the pen were
the location of Iris' package and the letters in the apple paintings
. There really was no way to figure these out after the initial clues were given (and never repeated). Maybe after an hour of wandering, Hyde could have gone "Hmm..." and offer a clue instead of forcing me onto GameFAQs. Like a sap.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Buttonbasher said:
So If the only thing I can get is lipstick from the vending machine, would that change later on so I could get the Rabbit? The Lipstick isn't providing anything more interesting then giving away food. Whereas the Rabbit
would hopefully give me the Jenny ending. Right?

Sigh....

Actually, I've found out unfortunately that you only get the thing you want on the first playthrough. (From starting a new game, as opposed to loading an ending save.)

Nick

woxel1 said:
Absolutely.
EDIT: But press on. There's nothing quite like this again.
I will for sure. I just need to cool down after getting so pissed off at this whole thing. I'm a passionate gamer. heh

Plus, the season finale of Beauty and the Geek is on tonight. Gotta watch my man Nate win 250k!

DarthWoo said:
Actually, I've found out unfortunately that you only get the thing you want on the first playthrough. (From starting a new game, as opposed to loading an ending save.)
So, it's impossible to get the
Jenny Ending
on the second play though?

kylerubbingbackofhead.gif

Nick

Nate (Beauty and the Geek) is Kyle Hyde confirmed?

nate2.jpg

u_neek

Nick said:
Edit 2: I'm super pissed about this. Nowhere in the game do they talk about this whole
pen
thing being important. Who would even take the time to look in the far right corner of a
chalk board
for something you're not even aware of in the first place? I didn't even know this was what I was looking to do! Seriously. Hotel Dusk. Big mistake. This puzzle was beyond retarded. I don't like this game as much anymore.
I agree, it was a really stupid puzzle that doesn't seem logic at all. I went to GameFaqs after wandering around the hotel for half an hour.

I'm really liking the game (currently at Chapter 5) but I hate when games like these don't give you any clues what to do next.

Nick said:
I don't skip dialogue in any game, and I read (and re-read!) everything that is presented to me if I don't understand it (which isn't often). I feel this was a terribly designed puzzle, and since you are asked to complete two tasks at the same time, (
The bookmark thing, followed by Denono giving you the pen RIGHT AFTER you are asked about the bookmark.
) I was utterly confused about what I should "focus" on. So I surfed the entire hotel, six to eight times over, touching every f**king thing in the game, hoping a clue would pop up about what I should be doing.

Nothing.

Terrible puzzle.

I breezed through it. I guess you're not the kidn of person who examines everything in a new area.

Nick

Mockingbird said:
I breezed through it. I guess you're not the kidn of person who examines everything in a new area.
Uh, wrong. The REASON why I spent a copious amount of time on the puzzle is BECAUSE I didn't want to look online. I examined E-V-E-R-Y thing in the whole hotel. I just so happened to miss the far right corner of the chalk board (retarded) and a flour bag that was punctured (which I did see, but didn't know why it was relevant).

Maybe you didn't read my rants yesterday, but I clicked on literally everything in the entire hotel a few times over.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Mockingbird said:
Wow. Aren't you cool?

Anyways, I can see how figuring out the chalk would be a bit frustrating, but the flour was right there in the kitchen, so it shouldn't have been too much of a leap.

icecream said:
Wow. Aren't you cool?

Anyways, I can see how figuring out the chalk would be a bit frustrating, but the flour was right there in the kitchen, so it shouldn't have been too much of a leap.

I wasn't trying to sound cool or awesome, even though I am. And the only time I looked online for help was in Room 217 for the not so obvious part. Anyways, I missed the chalk too but the sack of flour is right in the open and it's very obvious.

Nick

It's just not obvious that the pen is the only thing you should be thinking about. It is obvious that the flour is punctured, but it ISN'T obvious what you're supposed to do with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't believe you had a hard time with that if you realized the flour was punctured. If you didn't know about the flour, alright, fair enough. But knowing about both? Oh man.

Gigglepoo

Bboy AJ said:
I can't believe you had a hard time with that if you realized the flour was punctured. If you didn't know about the flour, alright, fair enough. But knowing about both? Oh man.

I've never sprinkled flour on a pen before.

Gigglepoo said:
I've never sprinkled flour on a pen before.

You've probably never had a pen that had anything engraved on it either.

Anyways, here is my rough translation of the interview from Nintendo Online Magazine. My Japanese isn't strong and I know for sure it's not perfect, but since no one else is translating, beggars can't be choosers. I admit that some stuff doesn't make sense but I didn't want to omit anything. I'll translate the rest later.

NOM: It’s called an “adventure game,” but I don’t believe this game can be summed up in just those words. What kinds of themes does Hotel Dusk: Room 215 hold?

Miyagawa: First off, it’s an adventure game with a story that doesn’t deal with scandals, murder, and the like. To sum it up, it’s something that I think I wanted adults to really enjoy. It’s something that I think I wanted the player to have feelings for when they play. With that, and a theme of “Whoever has a wish,” is the game which in which I had considered.

Suzuki: Whenever we’re creating a game we always strongly hold on to our policy or making a game which “touch people’s innermost souls.” I think that everyone, upon playing a game they seek/look for various things. For example, the feeling you get from beating an opponent, the satisfactory sensation received from solving a puzzle, and so on. Though adventure games have easily gained the tradition of providing a personal experience of stirred emotions, I believe rather it’s the genre that freely conveys (such feelings). I think Hotel Dusk: Room 215 partly lifts the mask off such beliefs.

Kanezaki: I love movies so, from the outset, there is a 1980s West German movie called “Bagdad Café,” which is a grand movie. This movie creates a great atmosphere, so before Susuki considered the idea of the story, our original idea differed from “touching people’s innermost souls.” Instead we had the idea of developing a game which has a “players leave their imaginations in a room” kind of taste.

NOM: How did you come up with the game’s title - Wish Room: Angel’s Memories (note this is the JP title)?

Miyagawa: Well, first off, we created a game with a hotel as the game’s setting. In that hotel it is said that there’s a miraculous room which grants wishes. We wanted to convey the theme of “it is said that the wishes can be granted to anyone.” With a phrase that resounds in the heart -“wish,” and the hotel as the setting and combining it with “room,” the title was acceptable, so we somewhat quickly came to a decision. At the beginning, during the development phase it was only the project name, but it remained as the game’s title.

NOM: So mysteries are often about murder cases?

Miyagawa: Yes, isn’t that the case? I’m not really sure as to why mysteries are often associated with murder. I imagine what it would be like where there in no murder in the (mystery) game. With the original thought of wanting to present something different from the perceived image of a mystery game, I believe the actual game, when played did turn out to be quite different.

Suzuki:

Nick

Bboy AJ said:
Yeah man. What was I thinking?!

Flour
+
Fountain Pen
???
SUCCESS!

Chalk
+
Fountain Pen
???
OMG ARE YOU CRAZAZY NICK?!
Mockingbird said:
I wasn't trying to sound cool or awesome, even though I am. And the only time I looked online for help was in Room 217 for the not so obvious part. Anyways, I missed the chalk too but the sack of flour is right in the open and it's very obvious.
Just wanted to say this was the easiest part of the game for me, so far. :)

u_neek

Ok, so I just completed chapter 7 and I'm absolutely loving the game. The story and dialogue is so well written that I don't really mind the long and sometimes meaningless conversations.

Aadil

Banned
In chapter 4,
i'm in room 217, i've found Bradleys lighter and the photograph behind the painting. Every time I try to go out, I get busted by Jeff and Dunning. I have saved the file in the room.

What do I do?

AniHawk

Aadil said:
In chapter 4,
i'm in room 217, i've found Bradleys lighter and the photograph behind the painting. Every time I try to go out, I get busted by Jeff and Dunning. I have saved the file in the room.

What do I do?

Shoot Jeff in the face. That smug little jackass is watching you enter the room from down the hallway.

God I hate him.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Aadil said:
In chapter 4,

What do I do?

Retry instead of reloading and do what Anihawk says.

Code_Link

Aadil said:
In chapter 4,

What do I do?

Oh, you should've talked to Jeff to make him go away before you entered the room. If you saved in the room, I have no idea what to do, though.

The Japanese web site has updated with a new "Column" feature. It seems it's a mock newspaper article thats been written by "Martin Summer" published in January 1999. The first volume is titled "The Man I Met at Hotel Dusk". It looks like there will be four volumes total.

Any translations or summaries of the articles would be much appriciated by us non-Japanese speaking GAFers. It would be interesting to see how that character's lives have changed from 1979 to 1999.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awij/column/index.html

SumGamer

"LOS ANGELES BEAT", What a name. The guy must be really suck if it take him so long before actually being able to write that.

The thing might be useful and give us some hint about the ending and the game as well so if anyone knw japanese and feel like doing it please DO.:D

LakeEarth

Wii said:
Ending spoiler question:
Is there any way to tell Iris to give the casette tape to Dunning?
I know, I was like
come on, he's the person you're looking for!!
but I couldn't figure it out.

Jenga said:
Man, I hope that hints at a sequel set in current times.
With Old Rachel, or Iris? Nah, I'll pass on that. I wouldn't mind a sequel though. That's usually not how Cing rolls though...

Please let my wish be granted.

Top Bottom