• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Were 8 and 16-bit games 60fps?

ghibli99

If anything, framerate differences seemed *more* pronounced back then, but there were a ton of games that ran at 60fps along with those that didn't (compare Rad Racer NES to Out Run SMS or Ikari Warriors NES to Rambo SMS). The majority of 16-bit games were 60fps if memory serves right. There were edge cases like Blazeon or Lagoon (both SNES) that had crap framerates. Slowdown is a different story!

People like buzzwords.

"60FPS" is the opposite of a buzz word, it's a technical measurement. Like 90 feet to first base, or 65 miles per hour, or 100 meter dash.

A buzz word, in this case, would be something like "CineMotion" or "TrueMotion" or whatever the stupid taglines that TV manufacturers use. Similarly, 1080p is not a buzzword, but "TrueHD" or "UltraHD" or what have you, IS a buzzword.

Why are people so obsessed with 60FPS as of lately?
It's not lately. People would talk about games chugging or slowing down in the NES days. It was just far less common for people to have the vocabulary to talk about frame rates or other similar things on a technical level.

ghibli99

It's not lately. People would talk about games chugging or slowing down in the NES days. It was just far less common for people to have the vocabulary to talk about frame rates or other similar things on a technical level.
Yeah, it was all about sprite sizes, displayable colors, number of sound channels, etc. I loved it when things like that had more meaning. OK, I'm feeling really old now. LOL

mrklaw

MrArseFace

ST owners going on about 7% faster CPU and higher frame rates in FA-18 Interceptor and Carrier Command, followed by rebuttals from Amiga owners shouting 'hardware scrolling!'

ToD_

People certainly could see the difference back in those days. Like a poster above me mentioned, people simply didn't know what it was called. In addition, when 3D PC gaming became bigger, people started to notice that more power would allow for smoother frame rates.

I remember back when Unreal Tournament (99) came out, I was playing at a friend's house and the game ran smoother on his PC. I wanted that, because it made the game more enjoyable to play. On the 8 and 16-bit consoles I didn't have the option to upgrade my GPU to do so, nor did I have a comparison of the same game being played on another system where it ran smoother. So back then it simply didn't matter that much. And yes, the majority ran at 60 anyway.

Nowadays we know pretty well what it takes to obtain smoother frame rates. Many people are in the "I enjoy games more when they are smoother camp", and they know the consoles are capable of delivering that experience if the developer would aim for it. Needless to say, this has now (and has been for a while) a topic worthy of discussion but in the 8 and 16-bit days it wasn't so much because of the reasons above.

Spladam

DAMN IT.. 'Spladam' brought this to the front page today lol.

It was an accident I swear, found it on a search with the Metal Slug comment and just expressed my love of the Steam version. hahahahahaha. Love how it just comes back to life after. LOL.

Spladam

Horsepuckey...

We cared plenty, just about different things... Stuff like Blast Processing and BITS, So many BITS
Oh man this is cracking me up. The nostalgia is making me feel all fuzzy.

On a more releavent note, I wanted to make the argument that half the great games in video game history did not run at 60FPS (which is how I ended up doing the search that brought this thread back from the dead) but the truth is, in the world of 2-D, low frame-rate has much less of an impact, as the issue of photo sensitivity and motion sickness becomes more prevalent in the 3rd dimension. Doom ran at a rather low frame rate on many machines (it was capped at 30 even if you had a bad-ass 486 I believe) and I don't know if you guys remember the news articles about not playing Doom in the dark as many folks were getting sick and having seizures, but this had much to do with the brain trying to reconcile the 3rd dimension on a 2d screen, much like VR making people sick if it's not responding with a latency below 5ms.

Still, I've enjoyed many a crappy frame rate game (Doom, GoldenEye) before I knew the science behind it.

Sorry for resurrecting this necro, but it is KINDA relevant :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
StaticJam said:
Why are people so obsessed with 60FPS as of lately?
After a generation of sub 30fps games, it's something of a revelation (especially to anyone that entered console gaming during).
PS1->PS2 transition was similar (more so thanks to dominance of 60fps games on PS2 in its early years).

danielcw said:
And either CPU core on the 3DS is weaker than the PSP's CPU.
And emulation may not be parralized that well.
A number of PSP emulators already use both R4000 cores (including the SNES one IIRC), but yea, extracting parallelism in emulators is non-trivial.

Top Bottom