• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

Considering how rushed the second half of season two felt, I'm really surprised by this

Rushed in what way? I thought season 2 was even better than 1, which surprised me considering how much I liked 1. Seemed like a normal season of episodes to me. Though I never watched the last 2 episodes because... I was...
sad
. So was there some kind of arc there that felt rushed? Or lacked conclusion?

Evilisk

Rushed in what way? I thought season 2 was even better than 1, which surprised me considering how much I liked 1. Seemed like a normal season of episodes to me. Though I never watched the last 2 episodes because... I was...
sad
. So was there some kind of arc there that felt rushed? Or lacked conclusion?

Like I said, I loved the first 12 episodes of Season 2 (except for maybe Love God, but that still had that hilarious Stan balloon). I just mostly felt disappointed by the episodes that followed. I think that "rushed" was the wrong word, but it did feel like the show was ending rather prematurely.

I actually don't remember most of my nitpicks, and I should probably rewatch Season 2 before I get into this.

I do remember not liking Roadside Attraction (aside from the plot of Stan pranking the other tourist traps), and not liking that it was
the last normal episode of the show. I did feel that there were some loose ends, like Blandin in the finale. There was also the Zodiac, and how it was used in the last episode, but again, I'll go into more detail once I've rewatched the show.

I'm not saying I hated the show, I was really damn hooked for a while. It's just that I'm surprised only 2 seasons were planned, it could have easily benefited from a third season, in my opinion anyway.

Like I said, I loved the first 12 episodes of Season 2 (except for maybe Love God, but that still had that hilarious Stan balloon). I just mostly felt disappointed by the episodes that followed. I think that "rushed" was the wrong word, but it did feel like the show was ending rather prematurely.

I actually don't remember most of my nitpicks, and I should probably rewatch Season 2 before I get into this.

I do remember not liking Roadside Attraction (aside from the plot of Stan pranking the other tourist traps), and not liking that it was
the last normal episode of the show. I did feel that there were some loose ends, like Blandin in the finale. There was also the Zodiac, and how it was used in the last episode, but again, I'll go into more detail once I've rewatched the show.

I'm not saying I hated the show, I was really damn hooked for a while. It's just that I'm surprised only 2 seasons were planned, it could have easily benefited from a third season, in my opinion anyway.

This is the start of the conversation with Icyflamez96.
4352125-looney-tunes-theme-song-6.jpg

You had to remind me they stopped this show after only 2 season....

I loved this show soo much :(

I just disliked most of the songs.

He's talking about The Looney Tunes Show, while you're talking about Gravity Falls.

TEJ

I have my dvd's of ernest and celestine plus babar the movie out there....somewhere :(

One of my big pet peeves about western animation is that most people view almost all of it on the same level as dora the explorer. That's like treating every novel as being on the same level as twilight.

Rated-G

Any word on a US Blu-ray, or are we stuck with the DVD?

I'm so sick of shows that are produced and aired in HD only getting standard def physical releases. It's particularly egregious with animated shows. I'd love a bluray release of Over the Garden Wall, and Gravity Falls. Hell even My Little Pony. (And while I'm dreaming... TRON Uprising, Wander Over Yonder, and Motorcity which have all been completely robbed of physical releases.)

Nudull

Banned
I'm so sick of shows that are produced and aired in HD only getting standard def physical releases. It's particularly egregious with animated shows. I'd love a bluray release of Over the Garden Wall, and Gravity Falls. Hell even My Little Pony. (And while I'm dreaming... TRON Uprising, Wander Over Yonder, and Motorcity which have all been completely robbed of physical releases.)

I know that Adventure Time, Regular Show, Korra, Transformers Prime and Star Wars TCW/Rebels have gotten blu-ray sets in the US, at least. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had blu-ray volumes in Canada, too.

Several DC comic shows (including the DC Nation shows. Yes, including Teen Titans Go) got some BR sets as ell.

Xe4

Banned
I have my dvd's of ernest and celestine plus babar the movie out there....somewhere :(

One of my big pet peeves about western animation is that most people view almost all of it on the same level as dora the explorer. That's like treating every novel as being on the same level as twilight.
DVD? You gotta blu ray that shit man. E&C is too gorgeous to see in standard def. Plus the Blu-Ray is the same cost as DVD.

On that note, GKids is doing gods work. Getting western (and some eastern) animation out there like no other distribution company has.

Seriously, without them I wouldn't have nearly as many movies in my collection, and I certainly would have seen nearly as many in theater.

One day, one of the movies distributed by them is going to win the Oscar... one day...
probably not : (

vypek

It was only planned for 2 seasons from the start.

Not sure how I missed this post. lol. But thanks. I would have liked them to go on but I'm glad they were able to wrap up what they set out to do :) I might actually buy the series if I can find it. Really liked that show

Nudull

Banned
Not sure how I missed this post. lol. But thanks. I would have liked them to go on but I'm glad they were able to wrap up what they set out to do :) I might actually buy the series if I can find it. Really liked that show

I think only the first season made it to DVD, dunno about digital.

robotuw

Anybody checked out Wakfu?
I've seen it compared to Last Airbender, which got me really intrigued, but I've seen about half a dozen episodes now and it doesn't seem that great aside from the visual style. Does it get better over time? Does Percedal get less annoying?

Xe4

Banned
Happy Halloween everybody!

What's your favorite Halloween themed cartoon episode/movie?

For me, I really enjoy Scooby Doo: The Witch's Ghost.

giphy.gif
I love invader Zim's haloween episode. Thr show was creepy enough as it was, but that episode took it to another level.

zim-halloweenies6.jpg

zim-nightmaregaz.jpg

zim-gir.jpg

I'm still shocked what Nick let Vasquez get away with and really want him to do another TV series. I love his fucked up stlye.

Evilisk

Happy Halloween everybody!

What's your favorite Halloween themed cartoon episode/movie?

For me, I really enjoy Scooby Doo: The Witch's Ghost.

giphy.gif

I remember watching that. I feel so old now. As in "we originally borrowed that movie for VHS from the library" kind of old

Anyway, you can't go through Halloween without watching a Nightmare Before Christmas imo. And I know I always mention Grim Adventures, but with how the earlier seasons of that show went (with the Nergal Jr. episode flat out just being a slasher flick with kids), it's almost like a Halloween show anyway (there's also an actual Halloween special and one of the movies takes place during Halloween itself)

Ed Edd n Eddy's Boo haa haa. It was so awesome. Also the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Halloween special.

My man. I love the Grim Adventures Halloween special.

I've seen it compared to Last Airbender, which got me really intrigued, but I've seen about half a dozen episodes now and it doesn't seem that great aside from the visual style. Does it get better over time? Does Percedal get less annoying?

I actually started this a while back. I have no idea if it gets better, though I recall the English dub being terrible. I should get back into watching this show.

Yeah, it takes a while to get going. There's a big sports two-parter halfway through the season, and it gets a lot better by that point.

My sister and I thought it'd be fun to watch Over the Garden Wall for Halloween last night. Considering you can just marathon it in about 2 hours makes me want to count it as a movie pick.

For TV cartoon EPISODES, I think I'll have to give that to Phineas and Ferb. In its long run there were several Halloween/Spooky episodes, but I think I'll have to give it to Tri State Trilogy of Terror edging out That's the Spirit (with Michael Douglas) and the fantastic Night of the Living Pharmacists.

Just a heads up, were going to be getting Big Hero 6 cartoon news this week. In case you don't know, Bob Schooley is the main guy behind it who also created Kim Possible!

https://mobile.twitter.com/bob_schooley/status/792228347757469696

Speaking of Kim Possible, my gosh was this show good. The theme was catchy, the cast of colorful characters made for exciting episodes and the humor was decent as well. The camp wannaweep episodes were like b-movies and the movies were great, especially 'So the Drama'. If the show ended there I wouldn't have minded at all. But then we got another season, yay.

Also, I really enjoyed watching totally spies too. It was fun, the gadgets were nifty and Jerry was great. Also Alex was best agent.

JDHarbs

The Nightmare Before Christmas is my Halloween tradition every year. I'm about to start it soon, and maybe binge on some Courage the Cowardly Dog afterward. Love this time of year.

ionitron

I completely agree. Season 2 was pretty much perfection until the big reveal that the whole series was leading up to, and while that in itself was actually incredibly well executed, it kinda fell a little flat at the end. I also don't think it was rushed per-sé, it was just... I don't know, I don't think it was as well articulated as the series proved it can do.

I'm glad it ended where it did at least, it saved itself from becoming mediocre later on, buuut I wish some things were elaborated or explored more.

Just throwing it out there but Ed Edd, and Eddy is still my favorite cartoon, especially for the animation style. Don't understand why there aren't more shows with the whole jiddering lines thing.

Psxphile

Just throwing it out there but Ed Edd, and Eddy is still my favorite cartoon, especially for the animation style. Don't understand why there aren't more shows with the whole jiddering lines thing.

EvRNxQo.gif

ZfBkj9n.gif

You just reminded me that this exists. I haven't seen it in years. I remember catching it on Comedy Central years ago.

I completely agree. Season 2 was pretty much perfection until the big reveal that the whole series was leading up to, and while that in itself was actually incredibly well executed, it kinda fell a little flat at the end. I also don't think it was rushed per-sé, it was just... I don't know, I don't think it was as well articulated as the series proved it can do.

I'm glad it ended where it did at least, it saved itself from becoming mediocre later on, buuut I wish some things were elaborated or explored more.

I think Alex said he purposefully left some loose ends, didn't he? He seemed to allude, leading up to the finale, that Disney might be doing more Gravity Falls stuff that he won't be directly involved with. I kind of expect another web series at some point.

All I see is people hate on that tbh. Edd Ed n Eddy is one of my favorites though.

Rated-G

All I see is people hate on that tbh. Edd Ed n Eddy is one of my favorites though.

As good as all of Home Movies was, I remember being disappointed they dropped Squigglevision after the first season. But I guess the animation got more ambitious than that style really allows...

As good as all of Home Movies was, I remember being disappointed they dropped Squigglevision after the first season. But I guess the animation got more ambitious than that style really allows...
Squigglevision was done via a gargantuan machine that broke down often. But this is also the era from when people lipsynced their scenes by playing walkmans back and forth with a stopwatch.

The switch to flash in Home Movies season three streamlined the pipeline for a million bazillion reasons, and was also a lot cheaper, despite the animation becoming much more ambitious in season three compared to the first two.

I love the way a well done traceback/judder looks. It can make a character seem alive even when it's not technically moving, but it does mean you have to redraw a character three times instead of once, whenever they're standing still.

Fox318

The Fleisher shorts are one of the few places to actually get Superman right outside of the comics. He is still the definitive version of Superman to me, just as Batman from TAS is of The Dark Knight.

Here's a good video analyzing them.
https://youtu.be/dDMQ3tXNKgM

Fleischer era Superman still remains one of the most amazing adaptations of any comic book property in animation form.
It's kinda crazy how off the mark most Superman adaptations are.

Rated-G

Squigglevision was done via a gargantuan machine that broke down often. But this is also the era from when people lipsynced their scenes by playing walkmans back and forth with a stopwatch.

The switch to flash in Home Movies season three streamlined the pipeline for a million bazillion reasons, and was also a lot cheaper, despite the animation becoming much more ambitious in season three compared to the first two.

I love the way a well done traceback/judder looks. It can make a character seem alive even when it's not technically moving, but it does mean you have to redraw a character three times instead of once, whenever they're standing still.

Yeah I definitely don't miss synching audio that way. It was satisfying to get done but I feel like I have more time to devote to other points of scene prep and blocking now.

I remember the collective sigh of relief from my friends working on that show when the switch was made. Though now a lot of them just wish they could have had the time to replicate the look in Flash, given how relatively simple it's become now.

Yeah I definitely don't miss synching audio that way. It was satisfying to get done but I feel like I have more time to devote to other points of scene prep and blocking now.

I remember the collective sigh of relief from my friends working on that show when the switch was made. Though now a lot of them just wish they could have had the time to replicate the look in Flash, given how relatively simple it's become now.
When my friends co-workers have to occasionally dabble in traditional paper animation or stop motion, they find it easier to work out their lipsync timing in flash, because the ability to freely scrub audio is such a milestone of efficiency.

Also oh wow, you know people who worked on the show! I was at Soup 2 Nuts for four years, albeit after Time Warp Trio when Wordgirl was just starting up. I love every veteran of the crew from that time, and I keep running into them in every subsequent studio.

RIP Soup 2 Nuts.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Pixar has released their gorgeous short film Piper online. Fuck me that water, that lighting, that everything.

When my friends co-workers have to occasionally dabble in traditional paper animation or stop motion, they find it easier to work out their lipsync timing in flash, because the ability to freely scrub audio is such a milestone of efficiency.

Also oh wow, you know people who worked on the show! I was at Soup 2 Nuts for four years, albeit after Time Warp Trio when Wordgirl was just starting up. I love every veteran of the crew from that time, and I keep running into them in every subsequent studio.

RIP Soup 2 Nuts.

HOLD THE PHONE there was an animated Time Warp Trio!?!

Top Bottom