• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

dionysus

Yaldog
Got my safety razor for Christmas and used it for the first time. Worked great.

One question. If I am using a good quality shaving soap for my lather, is there any reason to wash your face afterwords?

There's bill bowl from Dirty Bird Pottery: http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

Or the new one from Fine Accoutrements: https://www.fineaccoutrements.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FLB

And also LadySea: http://www.ladysea.net/pottery/shaving.php

If you want to keep the lather warm, you can check out scuttles too. They use a reservoir of hot water to keep the upper bowl portion warm.
I'm still on the fence whether i'm going to stick a safety razor, but I know i'm sticking with the build-your-own lather and am very intrigued by the scuttles. I have a mug right now and i'm not a fan of it at all, and if I spend a little more than just a bowl I can get one of these that seem awesome.

Oh, so I defected to electric shavers, sorry.
Bought a top of the line Braun shaver and never looked back. There's just no way I could spend the time & antagonize my skin with wet shaving for work every morning :p

(sensitive skin + quite a pronounced beard over here)

ramyeon

Oh, so I defected to electric shavers, sorry.
Bought a top of the line Braun shaver and never looked back. There's just no way I could spend the time & antagonize my skin with wet shaving for work every morning :p

(sensitive skin + quite a pronounced beard over here)
I guess mileage varies but I have pretty sensitive skin and safety razors and wet shaving have been more kind to it than any electric razor ever was.

It does take a bit more time in the mornings, though worth it for me. Even then I find it doesn't take a whole lot longer than shaving regularly now that I've been doing it for awhile.

If you avoid safety-razor shaving because your skin is sensitive, you might be cutting your skin to spite your face. I would imagine the typical shave consists of once with the grain, once across the grain, and once against. That's how I shaved with a Mach 3 all through the Schick Hydro 5, and now with a Merkur. That's three passes of a single razor-blade on my skin. A Mach 3 has nine blade passes; the Schick has fifteen!

Protome

If you avoid safety-razor shaving because your skin is sensitive, you might be cutting your skin to spite your face. I would imagine the typical shave consists of once with the grain, once across the grain, and once against. That's how I shaved with a Mach 3 all through the Schick Hydro 5, and now with a Merkur. That's three passes of a single razor-blade on my skin. A Mach 3 has nine blade passes; the Schick has fifteen!
This is kinda why I'm switching. I have sensitive skin and as a result always either have a shadow even after shaving or a lot of pain. Hoping one blade sorts this issue!

Hiko

Banned
Truefitt and Hill shaving cream = heaven

My god the lather is so luxurious and cushion-y. Makes my face feel so soft and smooth afterwards. I highly recommend this cream. I currently use the lavender but I've also used the ultimate comfort cream. Both are excellent. Easily better than the Art of Shaving cream that I tried.

Banglish

I can't decide if I should buy a new high-end electric razor or get a nice safety razor/brush/cream combo. Time isn't an issue as of now in the mornings for me, I just don't want to have to constantly be switching blades for fear of getting razor bumps.

clav

I can't decide if I should buy a new high-end electric razor or get a nice safety razor/brush/cream combo. Time isn't an issue as of now in the mornings for me, I just don't want to have to constantly be switching blades for fear of getting razor bumps.

When do you usually shave?

Jarrod38

Here is my new gear I bought a few days ago, but just came today so it may not be until Friday or Saturday until I shave.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MW2ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

50 Big Ben Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades x2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VSU36K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Feather Styling Razor Disposal Case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWGEY1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Taborcarn

Here is my new gear I bought a few days ago, but just came today so it may not be until Friday or Saturday until I shave.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MW2ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

50 Big Ben Super Stainless Double Edge Safety Razor Blades x2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VSU36K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Feather Styling Razor Disposal Case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWGEY1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nice kit! Good luck!

Jarrod38

Pull a stupid move while shaving nick my lip and boy did that bleed for a bit. Cannot believe something I do almost every other day I pull this stupid move.

dionysus

Yaldog
I've worked my way to the Derby portion of my razor sampler pack.

Ow. My fucking face. These things last one shave and they're done.

I have worked my way through my sampling kit and now in a runoff to select my razor brand. I like derby, shark, and the gilettes (7 o'clock and silver blue) so I am shaving with them again.

For me the worst was feather and blue bird. I am planning on posting my results when I finish.

nomster

I have worked my way through my sampling kit and now in a runoff to select my razor brand. I like derby, shark, and the gilettes (7 o'clock and silver blue) so I am shaving with them again.

For me the worst was feather and blue bird. I am planning on posting my results when I finish.

I just went through derby, shark, feather, astra, and merkur. Astra gave the best results for me. Feathers got close but my face felt rubbed raw after them.

My shaving soap is beginning to run out. The problem now is that the lather is more difficult to whisp up to be usable, it barely lathers, and that the quality of the lather is worse as well.

Is there a fix for this?

OZ70xDT.jpg

Taborcarn

Not really. You could try softening it up with some water, then pressing the outsides down into the middle. It doesn't always work for me though, sometimes it comes completely apart and some gets wasted.

Giard

Not sure if this applies to the topic but...

Looking for a beard care product. My beard produces dandruff and I'd like something that helps. It's short, and shampoo doesn't work. I've found some stuff but it seems really expensive.

Happy to see that the thread still lives on.

dionysus

Yaldog
So I got that cheap Van der Hagen shave set a while back for the bowl, brush, and stand and have been using the included soap ever since. How does this brand of soap stack up to the recommendations in the OP? Can I expect significant improvement. I also have the dreadnought shaving cream and it is definitely a notch above the Van der Hagen soap.

Azulsky

I just ran out of my tub of Art of Shaving Unscented Shaving Cream.

Any recommendations for a unscented/sensitive skin shaving cream? I'm not unhappy with the above product just wanted to try something new.

Probably also need to get more aftershave balm too.

Knch

I just ran out of my tub of Art of Shaving Unscented Shaving Cream.

Any recommendations for a unscented/sensitive skin shaving cream? I'm not unhappy with the above product just wanted to try something new.

Probably also need to get more aftershave balm too.

http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/

I have there unscented after shave balm, which is one of the better aftershaves I have. Their older scented soaps are really nice too, and the new formulation should be even better (and there is an unscented one.)

Strampas

Neo Member
I've recently started with wet shaving. But I'm having problems building a good lather on my face. It feels thin and wet, but the shavings have turned out ok. Today it didn't feel that wet, but I cut myself many times. My face looks like a mess.

Taborcarn

I've recently started with wet shaving. But I'm having problems building a good lather on my face. It feels thin and wet, but the shavings have turned out ok. Today it didn't feel that wet, but I cut myself many times. My face looks like a mess.

What kind of soap/cream are you using? A lot of time the answer comes down to more; more product, more water, more time building the lather. Seems a little counter-intuitive to add more water to make it less thin, but some soaps just like it that way.

TheExodu5

Banned
I switched to a safety razor two years ago after a Gillette Fusion gave me a bad case of ingrown hairs (and a staph infection).

Used an electric razor last week. Surprise, surprise. Tons of ingrown hairs and a minor infection that went away on its own. Never again. Safety razor for life.

Strampas

Neo Member
What kind of soap/cream are you using? A lot of time the answer comes down to more; more product, more water, more time building the lather. Seems a little counter-intuitive to add more water to make it less thin, but some soaps just like it that way.

I'm using a soap from L'Occitane.

Are you supposed to put any pressure with a safety razor? I picked up a van den hagen safety razor and seems a lot better than I was getting. What's the benefit of more expensive safety razors?

Taborcarn

Are you supposed to put any pressure with a safety razor? I picked up a van den hagen safety razor and seems a lot better than I was getting. What's the benefit of more expensive safety razors?

No,you're really not. As long as you have the correct angle pretty much the weight the razor should be enough to make it glide over the surface and take off the hair.

The main benefit of more expensive razors is the quality of craftsmanship. Most of the less expensive DEs now will be made of pot metal plated in chrome. If the plating gets scratched or worn away, the metal underneath can corrode pretty quickly. A stainless steel razor can last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Hieberrr

I'm finding that even after shaving, I can still see small stubbles. So, my face doesn't look 100% clean. I assume I need a more aggressive configuration?

Taborcarn

I'm finding that even after shaving, I can still see small stubbles. So, my face doesn't look 100% clean. I assume I need a more aggressive configuration?

It's possible. Are you doing multiple passes? Going against the grain with your setup might help without having to replace equipment. Otherwise you could try an adjustable razor so you can find the aggressiveness that suits you. Out of these I prefer the Merkur Progress.

Also some people (like me) just have fair skin and dark, course hair so it always looks like a 5 o'clock shadow no matter how close the shave is.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I hadn't gone all in before with the shave soap and brush, since I don't have to shave that often. One can of Barbasol lasted me about three years, but when it ran out I didn't want to drop a ton of money at the Art of Shaving on premium stuff if I didn't know that I'd like using it. Target had a cheap setup for $25 with a plastic handled brush, a bowl, some soap, and a plastic hanger that I got.

I am liking it, but I'm having something of a hard time with lather. I just don't get a lot of lather, and feel like I'm spending too much time whipping it up, and then a lot just gets stuck in the brush. Might that just be because of the cheap soap and brush? Or do you guys think that with time I'll develop technique and it won't be an issue?

I also got Shea Moisture aftershave, thinking that since it was just $4 it wasn't much of a gamble, but it works really, really well. Sometimes I get really bad razorburn on the corners of my chin, but it gets rid of all the irritation and redness in just a minute or two. I haven't had an ingrown hair or anything else any time that I've used it.

Knch

I am liking it, but I'm having something of a hard time with lather. I just don't get a lot of lather, and feel like I'm spending too much time whipping it up, and then a lot just gets stuck in the brush. Might that just be because of the cheap soap and brush? Or do you guys think that with time I'll develop technique and it won't be an issue?

What type of brush is it? Boar shouldn't be too hard, badger can be a bit tricky and some soaps are just impossible (I really want that sea-salt soap to work, but it just doesn't (can't recall who makes it atm, it's an artisan soap I got through wet shave club))

If you want to make it easy on yourself, get a synthetic brush, those are dead easy to lather with.

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/omega-s-brush-pro-s10049-synthetic-fiber-shaving-brush-red

And if you shop there, you might as well get some razorock soap. Dirt cheap and one of the better soaps out there. I'm quite fond of the following.

http://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mudder-focker-shave-soap

(And no, it's not only because of the funny name.)

I hadn't gone all in before with the shave soap and brush, since I don't have to shave that often. One can of Barbasol lasted me about three years, but when it ran out I didn't want to drop a ton of money at the Art of Shaving on premium stuff if I didn't know that I'd like using it. Target had a cheap setup for $25 with a plastic handled brush, a bowl, some soap, and a plastic hanger that I got.

I also got Shea Moisture aftershave, thinking that since it was just $4 it wasn't much of a gamble, but it works really, really well. Sometimes I get really bad razorburn on the corners of my chin, but it gets rid of all the irritation and redness in just a minute or two. I haven't had an ingrown hair or anything else any time that I've used it.
Is it the Van der Hagen set? That is what I started with. The soap that comes with it is really hard to lather up, but the brush doesn't seem to be that bad - I still use it. Instead try Proraso, you can't go wrong and much easier to lather up.

Rest

I experimented with water this time, the directions on the soap were just wrong. It said to wet the brush and use that to lather. I saw discussion in here about wetting the soap too, and that worked really well. Plenty of lather in just a couple minutes.

Is it the Van der Hagen set? That is what I started with. The soap that comes with it is really hard to lather up, but the brush doesn't seem to be that bad - I still use it. Instead try Proraso, you can't go wrong and much easier to lather up.
That's the exact set. I like the smell of the soap that it came with, so I'll probably use it until it's gone before I get more. I'm picky about scents, so I'm going to have to go to a soap maker or a shaving shop I think when I get my next soap.

Rest

I don't have to shave very often, so getting used to the techniques used with a straight razor was going pretty slowly. Because I didn't get a lot of practice, as lot of things were time consuming, so I'd been skipping doing a cross grain pass.

I've decided get rid of my mustache and goatee for now, and go with a clean shaven look, which means I have to shave at most every other day now, instead of once or twice a week. With no styling to work around, I don't need to be so deliberate, so everything takes less time. I've taken up the cross grain pass, and everything is so much closer and smoother.

Oh god! Don't use Dr. Carvers easy Shave Butter from dollar shave club. Instantly put my face on fire! I was using the sample that came with my razor and had to wash it off my face half way through. Went back with Cremo (the best shave cream ever) and finished my face with that.

Top Bottom