• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

SUPREME1

Banned
So what's the verdict on shaving creams vs shaving soaps? When I shaved yesterday I used a soap, but I also ordered a cream that so far remains untested. I couldn't get a lather going with the soap no matter how hard I tried, and I'm not sure if it is meant to work that way.

I use TAoS's Lavendar shaving cream. Smells really good and produces the most creamy and lush lather.

It takes a few minutes to whip it up real nice, but it's worth it.

Edit: A bit over priced, but a little goes a long way and so it lasts a long while.

art_of_shaving_lavender_shave_cream_jar__27002_zoom.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I shave with a straight razor and got sick of it. It's too demanding and my new jobs requires shaving daily. It takes time to strop and sending it off to get honed once it loses its edge.

I bought a DE a week ago. As you can imagine, the transition is minimal. No cuts, smooth shave right from the get go. It definitely has to be my straight razor experience. I used to nick myself with that thing every so often. I think the DE gives me a little more leeway haha

To the new guys, the key is keeping the 30 degree angle. Lock your wrist and let the razor's weight do its thing. Enjoy.

Also, an alum block is used for your entire face. The styptic pen (sp) is used for nicks. Ask me how I know all about those pens.

bob page

I use TAoS's Lavendar shaving cream. Smells really good and produces the most creamy and lush lather.

It takes a few minutes to whip it up real nice, but it's worth it.

Edit: A bit over priced, but a little goes a long way and so it lasts a long while.

art_of_shaving_lavender_shave_cream_jar__27002_zoom.jpg

I use their unscented cream and love it. Definitely worth the price.

eastmen

Banned
This thread got me interested. I went to the art of shaving in the mall which is crazy expensive . However I bought a travel kit they had which was $25 for a travel size good badger + pre oil + shaving cream + an after balm.

I'm only using my mach 3 and it still gave me my best shave yet. I'm going to invest in a better brush.

I have Eczema and I'm wondering if any of the companys make a shaving cream for eczema ?

I figure brush first and better shaving cream and then get a strait razor in a few months as I work through the blades i still have for my mach 3.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ooh, that felt pretty amazing. Tried out my Truefitt & Hill sample bag goodies, after four passes with the lovely lather had to force myself to move on to aftershave. Couple of spots need some practice, and managed to do a couple of micro cuts under my chin. I did have a 3 day beard though.

Wife says Truefitt & Hill smells 15 year older than me, so maybe I'll pick up some samples next week from the new Soho Aesop - do they have a more contemporary fragrance?

h3ro

What do you guys use as a pre-shave?

I've never used an oil/lotion as part of my pre-shave before. I usually go with an exfoliation in the shower and wash with hot water before applying lather while the beard is soft from the shower. I don't have a coarse beard but I'm always willing to try something that will get me a better shave.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
What do you guys use as a pre-shave?

I've never used an oil/lotion as part of my pre-shave before. I usually go with an exfoliation in the shower and wash with hot water before applying lather while the beard is soft from the shower. I don't have a coarse beard but I'm always willing to try something that will get me a better shave.

I'm not a fan of pre-shave oils. I've tried 2 different brands and they both gummed my razor up while I was shaving, but that's just my experience.

Neutrogena makes a lather-less shaving cream that I'm sure has been posted in this thread, which I never got a really good shave from when using it alone, but using it as a pre-shave base provided noticeable results especially in the razor burn department.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any recommendations for a more youthful scent, a series of Pre-Shaving Oil / Shaving Cream (love my lather) / Aftershave / Cologne?

I've tried now Truefitt & Hill Crafton and 1805, wife says both smell like an old gentleman. Their Sandalwood is a bit better, kinda like Polo Sports.

I used to like Tommy back in the day, and Blue Hugo. But it's hard to find a complete series with a younger scent.

About to jump into this after a few years of beard trimming... oh God what am I getting myself into...

Need help deciding on a razor between the Merkur 34C and the 180 (or fill in the blank). I got short, fat fingers so I was leaning more towards the 34C.

Ooh, that felt pretty amazing. Tried out my Truefitt & Hill sample bag goodies, after four passes with the lovely lather had to force myself to move on to aftershave. Couple of spots need some practice, and managed to do a couple of micro cuts under my chin. I did have a 3 day beard though.

Wife says Truefitt & Hill smells 15 year older than me, so maybe I'll pick up some samples next week from the new Soho Aesop - do they have a more contemporary fragrance?

Aesop creams smell amazing. Refreshing and satisfying, you should check them out. No chemicals and not old man smelling. Way expensive though, but a nice present.

Draft

About to jump into this after a few years of beard trimming... oh God what am I getting myself into...

Need help deciding on a razor between the Merkur 34C and the 180 (or fill in the blank). I got short, fat fingers so I was leaning more towards the 34C.
Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point of a long handle model. I have big hands so went with the long handled razor. What I found is that the proper way to hold the razor is way the hell up near the sharp end, so it doesn't really matter how long the handle is.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point of a long handle model. I have big hands so went with the long handled razor. What I found is that the proper way to hold the razor is way the hell up near the sharp end, so it doesn't really matter how long the handle is.

Thanks I've been watching videos for the past couple hours and forgot that all of the guys have been holding the razor there lol.

Here's my list from Amazon; I'll probably commit before bedtime. Just need some witch hazel for my skin but I'll grab that at the local grocery store:

Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor #34C + 5 Free DE Razor Blades
$43.33

Double Edge Razor Blade Economy Sample Pack #1 - 60 Blades
$18.00

Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin 5.2 oz (147 g)
$9.00

Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
$13.95

Subtotal: $84.28

Draft

Thanks I've been watching videos for the past couple hours and forgot that all of the guys have been holding the razor there lol.

Here's my list from Amazon; I'll probably commit before bedtime. Just need some witch hazel for my skin but I'll grab that at the local grocery store:

Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor #34C + 5 Free DE Razor Blades
$43.33

Double Edge Razor Blade Economy Sample Pack #1 - 60 Blades
$18.00

Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin 5.2 oz (147 g)
$9.00

Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
$13.95

Subtotal: $84.28
If you've got sensitive skin or are prone to razor burn, this stuff is the shit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VS5O3Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

J-Roderton

I'm really digging this whole wet shaving thing. I've shaved 4-5 times already and I could not go back. I'm really going to have to upgrade my razor soon, though. Looks like I'll be going with Merkur. This Lord razor isn't the best, but it was good to start with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Here's my list from Amazon

Get a brush stand. You don't want your brush to not dry off properly. It'll stink.

If you've got sensitive skin or are prone to razor burn, this stuff is the shit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VS5O3Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My skin isn't terribly sensitive but acne can sometimes be a problem around my chin (definitely getting witch hazel). If my skin can't handle it, I'll try what you recommend.

Get a brush stand. You don't want your brush to not dry off properly. It'll stink.

Thinking about adding a stainless steel one, not chrome, due to flaking and stuff. This one from Amazon looks nice.

ameratsu

You don't need a brush stand. They look nice, but I've had my badger brush without one for 2 years and it doesn't smell bad. Just shake it out after rinsing.

Just did my second shave in 2 days.. yeah it's a bit much but I had stubble going on already. I found that shark brand razors have worked a TON better than the Gilette so far. I have yet to try some of the other brands in the variety pack but these have worked fantastic in the short time I've had this Merkur. Very pleased at the close shave it gives. Next up is to buy some Prorasso and see how that works out.

Draft

You don't need a brush stand. They look nice, but I've had my badger brush without one for 2 years and it doesn't smell bad. Just shake it out after rinsing.
Part of wet shaving is being a baller and ballers don't let their brush lay on the sink like a dead mouse. Ballers hang that shit.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I wanna try this. How effective is this for shaving the head? I'm a bald guy who shaves regularly (every couple days).

pax217

Most people recommend trying this instead: http://www.headblade.com/

This question comes out often, maybe I could add a FAQ section in the OP...

Clicked on that, then clicked "Headbladers" thinking I'd see the models... saw a good friend of mine that I had no clue was sponsored by these guys, listed as "Dango." Ha ha, awesome. His head is indeed well-shaved on a regular basis.

Esch

Banned
Just got my sampler. It has Derby, Astra SP, Feather, 2 kinds of gillettes, sharks, and maybe dorcos? I think i'm trying the astra SPs first. wish me luck wetshavegaf.

HDRemake

Banned
I've been skimming through this thread, and I can't figure out what the hell it is about...

"Wet" shaving? As opposed to what? Do some people shave without water and shaving cream or something?

Bboy AJ

I've been skimming through this thread, and I can't figure out what the hell it is about...

"Wet" shaving? As opposed to what? Do some people shave without water and shaving cream or something?

Why don't you just read the thread instead of absentmindedly posting?

Giard

Just got my sampler. It has Derby, Astra SP, Feather, 2 kinds of gillettes, sharks, and maybe dorcos? I think i'm trying the astra SPs first. wish me luck wetshavegaf.
I like Astras, hope you'll like them as well. You'll probably find the Dorcos to be the worst of the bunch.

How often should I swap blades? I do usually 3-4 passes per shave.
Depends greatly on the blade you're using. On average, I guess you should change once every 3-4 shaves, but YMMV.

Bboy AJ

It's only been a week since I received my DE and I'm already shaving my balls with it. See, too easy! Keep at it, new guys.

Esch

Banned
Im trying out the astras in a few but i notice they have this nasty ass adhesive on them in every package. Not hard to get off, but still lame.

Why don't you just read the thread instead of absentmindedly posting?

To be honest, it is a legitimate question for someone not familiar with its usage. After all, using a cartridge razor with some can shaving gel would still be considered wet shaving, and the OP hasn't really elaborated on the usage of the term.

'Wet shaving' is often used interchangeably with 'traditional shaving'. Instead of using cartridge razors, you use razors that hold replaceable double edged blades, and instead of rubbing shaving gel on your face from a can, you use a shaving brush and shaving creme (usually in a small tub). There's a technique involved in this kind of shaving because you can't just run the razor across your face and expect the same results as what you would get using a cartridge razor.

Guys with sensitive skin find traditional shaving to be a lot more useful than those with less sensitive skin and straight facial hair. So if you've ever felt uncomfortabe after a cartridge razor shave, if your skin has felt a burning and tingling sensation afterwards, or if you're tired of getting razor bumps on your jaw, then traditional shaving would probably suit you.

Laekon

Can anyone help me out with the difference between the Merkur 33C and 34C HD. I get that the HD is heavier but what does that mean to me?

HDRemake

Banned
To be honest, it is a legitimate question for someone not familiar with its usage. After all, using a cartridge razor with some can shaving gel would still be considered wet shaving, and the OP hasn't really elaborated on the usage of the term.

'Wet shaving' is often used interchangeably with 'traditional shaving'. Instead of using cartridge razors, you use razors that hold replaceable double edged blades, and instead of rubbing shaving gel on your face from a can, you use a shaving brush and shaving creme (usually in a small tub). There's a technique involved in this kind of shaving because you can't just run the razor across your face and expect the same results as what you would get using a cartridge razor.

Guys with sensitive skin find traditional shaving to be a lot more useful than those with less sensitive skin and straight facial hair. So if you've ever felt uncomfortabe after a cartridge razor shave, if your skin has felt a burning and tingling sensation afterwards, or if you're tired of getting razor bumps on your jaw, then traditional shaving would probably suit you.

Thanks for clarifying. After the "read the thread" response, I decided to just Wikipedia the term "wet shaving." Like you said, both shaving with a brush/soap/double-edged razors and just using shaving cream with a cartridge razor are considered wet shaving. This is why I think it's kind of weird to say "WetshaveGAF" or whatever. "Wet shaving" is what probably 90% of all men do on a daily basis.

I guess "traditional wet shaving" is a little clearer, but isn't there a better term for shaving in the manner that this thread celebrates?

Giard

It's only been a week since I received my DE and I'm already shaving my balls with it. See, too easy! Keep at it, new guys.
You are a brave man. I certainly wouldn't do that with Feathers.

Im trying out the astras in a few but i notice they have this nasty ass adhesive on them in every package. Not hard to get off, but still lame.
Some people like to scrape the excess off with the old blade they're replacing.

Thanks for clarifying. After the "read the thread" response, I decided to just Wikipedia the term "wet shaving." Like you said, both shaving with a brush/soap/double-edged razors and just using shaving cream with a cartridge razor are considered wet shaving. This is why I think it's kind of weird to say "WetshaveGAF" or whatever. "Wet shaving" is what probably 90% of all men do on a daily basis.

I guess "traditional wet shaving" is a little clearer, but isn't there a better term for shaving in the manner that this thread celebrates?
I understand that "wet shaving" doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it, but I don't really know what to answer you besides "it's just called that way". When you search wet shaving on Google, it'll always be about safety/straight razors with a brush.

ctrayne

Picked up some of the Mr. Taylor's scented stuff from TOBS and enjoying it a lot. The shaving cream in the jar is much softer than the good old sandalwood, which is like a hard soap block in comparison.

taylorbondmrtaylorscologne.jpg

Laekon

Well I just placed my order for a DE89, a sample razor set with a bunch of Gillette and Feather blades, and some Taylor of Old Bond street cream. I'm skipping the brush and going for a cream for right now. My main reason is to save money in the long run so I hope it works out.

Esch

Banned
Astra shave was incredible. Way better than the Merkur blades. Very nice. Nicked myself, I got a little too carried away with how little the blades tugged lol.

Top Bottom