• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s your favorite Canadian city and why?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have only been to Montreal, and I live in Toronto.

So I will say Montreal > Toronto

MikeyB

Depends what you want.

European style feel in a small geographic area? Montreal.

Outdoor activities and scenery spread out over a wide geographic area? Vancouver (and Whistler, Galiano, Saltspring, North Shore mountains, etc.)

Great neighbourhoods with distinct personalities? Toronto. Here's my suggested tour:

When you do come to Toronto, you need to check out its Chinese food (uptown, Richmond Hill, Markham). It is some of the best in North America. There is some good Jamaican food (mostly uptown now) and Jamaican Chinese food (Spadina, Dundas West) too.

To get a feel for downtown old Toronto, buy a day pass on transit. Start off at the ROM and if high end shopping is your thing, roam around on Bloor. Take the subway or walk to St. George or Bathurst on Bloor. Walk west until you hit Christie. That takes you through the Annex and into Koreatown.

Get back on the subway around Christie and ride it to Dundas West. Hop onto the 504 south to Queen. Walk a few blocks east to see an interesting couple of blocks of Queen street west and onto the 501 to head east. Cruise through Parkdale (or get off to eat Tibetan food... spicy momos) and get off at Ossington. Walk up Ossington to Dundas, stopping at restaurants and shops.

Get on the Dundas eastbound streetcar and ride it till around Spadina. From there, you can check out Kensington Market or Chinatown. If you loop back to Dundas, continue east on a streetcar to get to Dundas Square. Walk
around there and through the mall to Queen street.

Get back on the Queen streetcar eastbound. Ride through Leslieville to Coxwell avenue. Walk south to get to the lake and follow the beach eastwards on the boardwalk until you get to a gated dog park. Just past there walk north to Queen to find yourself in the heart of the Beaches. Walk or take a streetcar east to Ed's Real Scoop, but go for ramen next door first.

At this point uber to your hotel. That is a full day easily.

Detours along this route include High Park, Trinity Belwoods Park, the Entertainment District (tourist trap), the Distillery district (tourist trap), Graffiti alley, and the Tulip Steakhouse.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Detours along this route include High Park, Trinity Bellwoods Park, the Entertainment District (tourist trap), the Distillery district (tourist trap), Graffiti alley, and the Tulip Steakhouse.

Trinity Bellwoods is the tits on a nice day. Everyone just hanging out, drinking beers, smoking joints, playing sports, BBQing.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon. I had one of the best dates of my life there.

Mimosa97

This is honestly a pretty strange opinion to have. I've been overseas for weeks, including 3 weeks in Italy and 2 in France, and I noticed no such thing. Not the taste, not the pricing. Baffling.

I suppose it's easier to buy "factory meat" here but, hey, don't do that. I go to a local butcher who lists the local farm where stuff comes from and guess what, it's as good as anything.

I'm not talking about restaurants. Prices are pretty much the same (even cheaper now with the super low CAD). I'm talking about groceries. With the same budget in France or Spain I could buy so many more products and the difference in quality is night and day. Be it meat, poultry, cold cuts, yogurts, frozen products etc...

Honestly I feel like you could make bank in Canada if you launched a line of good quality food products.

jstripes

Banned
Trinity Bellwoods is the tits on a nice day. Everyone just hanging out, drinking beers, smoking joints, playing sports, BBQing.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon. I had one of the best dates of my life there.

It's nice how the police generally turn a blind eye to drinking in Trinity Bellwoods. They'll temporarily start cracking down when an uptight politician makes a fuss, but aside from that it's pretty much OK. They've got better things to do than write-up a bunch of docile hipsters.

Pacbois

I recently moved to Montreal from Paris but I also spent some time visiting Toronto. My plan was originally to move to Toronto but the cost of life and the godawful transit made me chose Montreal instead. I'm happy with my choice, Montreal is really cool and fun, I live in a big apartment in a great neighborhood for basically nothing. But there's just one thing that is still bothering me is that I still struggle to meet people and make friends, granted i'm an introvert but both time I visited Toronto I made cool friends. Maybe it'll change soon but yeah for me I still struggle with the people here.

Minus_Me

It's nice how the police generally turn a blind eye to drinking in Trinity Bellwoods. They'll temporarily start cracking down when an uptight politician makes a fuss, but aside from that it's pretty much OK. They've got better things to do than write-up a bunch of docile hipsters.

Toronto should adopt the Montreal concept of being able to drink outside if you're having a "picnic".

Stasis

Grew up in NYC... I guess that's obvious lol.

So I still consider that to be my hometown, and visit often, but I love Montreal so much I moved here permanently. That's my answer.

And there are tons of good restaurants here. Just like there are tons in NYC. Whoever was saying there isn't and that Canada doesn't have good food... reincarnation of Tabris who only thinks Michelin starred places are good? I've eaten at a few of those. I still think Montreal and Quebec city have a LOT of fantastic places. Most people agree. Bourdain certainly does =)

All this Toronto hate lol.

Toronto is Canada's biggest and best city OP, don't listen to GAF.

Toronto was the only answer to begin with from a logical standpoint, but these threads are often the only time the other smaller cities in Canada get a chance to shine for a little while.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I’m looking to visit Canada and I have three options–Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal

All three seem like great visits based on my research. Montreal seems to have more fans online. Vancouver has some amazing fine dining and Toronto has sheer diversity of locales.

What do you pick and why?
Toronto. Tons of things to do, great nightlife, neighborhoods, restaurants. There's always something new every time I visit.

Vancouver is scrnic but there's not much else to do here. Good for a 2 day trip but not much more unless you're into outdoorsy things (but if you are then we should be your top choice). Dining is better in Toronto, but on a short trip you probably won't notice the difference.

Montreal is my least favourite of the three. Night life and food is good but the city is pretty dirty, run down and overall depressing. I like Quebec City more.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I think it's worth considering that if everyone you meet is mean, they might not be the problem.

There's also "Spread Eagle", "Come by Chance", "Heart's Delight", "Gay's Cove", and my fav "Bay d'espoir" (pronounced "Bay D'espair" -- literally the exact opposite of its meaning)
Or that people living there are following their city stereotypes too much.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I've always said that Montréal is Edna, Toronto is Ned, Vancouver is Cookie Kwan and Ottawa is Ralph.

Shoeless

I live in Victoria and its pretty damn nice here. Beautiful and virtually zero crime. Lots of nice pubs. Lots of women.

I've only been to Victoria once, and that was as a kid during the late 80s. I remember Batman had come out that summer. All I really remember about the experience was that downtown felt positively Victorian with the street lamps and old school shops. Felt like I was in another time period after Vancouver.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Vancouver area is really nice, definitely my number 1. Victoria Island is gorgeous too. Calgary was pretty cool and Toronto and Montreal are great modern cities to explore.

Québec City

It's big and sprawling without feeling like a metropolis, and it has a fuckton of history and culture embedded in it. The Vieux Québec is just beautiful and has tons of restaurants, bars and shops to visit.

Québec City

Code:
[IMG]https://maintenance.ville.quebec.qc.ca/img/banner.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://ww.rsatravelinsurance.com/sites/rsatravelinsurance.com/files/ville-de-quebec_0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://ville.quebec.qc.ca/touristes/img/img_histoire.jpg[/IMG]

Flux

Alert, Nunavut.

Only was there for a research expedition and not sure what it's like living there. It's cool for the top of the world experience and if you want to pretend your in "The Thing". Otherwise Toronto I guess by default.

Azuran

Banned
Toronto because I live here.

Charlottetown was also pretty cool. It may be my favorite Canadian city that I have visited just because the entire place feels so cozy.

All this Toronto hate lol.

Toronto is Canada's biggest and best city OP, don't listen to GAF.

It's normal to be jealous of the best. I would be too if my city wasn't good enough to get their own MLB team.

Nothing better than seeing some guy in Calgary badmouthing Toronto yet calling himself a Blue Jays fan. Get your own team you moochers!

jstripes

Banned
Alert, Nunavut.

Only was there for a research expedition and not sure what it's like living there. It's cool for the top of the world experience and if you want to pretend your in "The Thing". Otherwise Toronto I guess by default.

I had a coworker who was stationed there when he was in the army. He said it was a weird place. You could hear the dogs barking 20 km away.

Of those three, generally I'd say Montreal for its culture and entertainment. Every time I'm there I think, "Why do I live in Kitchener-Waterloo again?" Not on the list, but I would recommend Québec City even more so for the full "European city in North America" experience, as others have mentioned. Both cities are great.

That said, I would also suggest checking out Hamilton. It's beautiful with tons of gorgeous trails and waterfalls, the arts scene on James North is great, it's cheap, it's got a lot of history (you can see canons lined up where they were pointed at American ships in the war of 1812, board a warship in the harbour from WWII and the Korean War, and so much more), and it's just all around an interesting city. People often call it Toronto's Brooklyn but I think that's not quite doing it justice. It's its own culture entirely.

It's also close to Toronto, so you could go back and forth on the bus/train and get the best of both worlds!
Hey my fellow KW citizen! Waterloo is an underrated city that gets over shadowed by the big cities surrounding it. I love it here!

May I humbly make the case for:

Halifax!

pyuR3iR.jpg

Warning: Hali-fever is the flu.

Fun Facts about Halifax!

Fantastic Winter Tourism!

Enjoy the Dirty Ice Lumps Festival each spring (& summer)!

Enjoy one of Sir Donald Ayre's famous "Donairs"

donair.jpg

Mmm! Doesn't that look delicious!

Halifax! At Least We're Not St. John's! (tm)

I've only ever lived in Halifax since I moved here, but it's great!

In addition to this, the harbour is great and you're like an hour away from watching amazing tide changes. It's my favourite thing here. You can literally walk on the ocean floor.

YESS Haliginion GAF. Rise Halifax, RISE

But in all honesty, I really couldn't think of a better place to be. Nova Scotia is truly beautiful and is such a wonderful place to call home.

Nowadays it's especially pretty here, the flowers are blooming, everything is bursting with greenery and the lakes/ ocean are just coated with glittering sunshine. I think a lot of us here take how lovely the city is for granted sometimes.

It's a nice place for tourists as well, we have a great local food scene thanks to an excellent selection of seafood, lots of heritage, stunning natural beauty and Maritimers are genuinely some of the finest and most loving people in the world.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Québec City

It's big and sprawling without feeling like a metropolis, and it has a fuckton of history and culture embedded in it. The Vieux Québec is just beautiful and has tons of restaurants, bars and shops to visit.

Québec City

Code:
[img]https://maintenance.ville.quebec.qc.ca/img/banner.jpg[/img]
[img]https://ww.rsatravelinsurance.com/sites/rsatravelinsurance.com/files/ville-de-quebec_0.jpg[/img]
[img]https://ville.quebec.qc.ca/touristes/img/img_histoire.jpg[/img]
OP said "city" though
;)

Oppo

Uncle Testsu cheesecake = line up
Tsujiri = line up
Lady Marmalade = line up
Bonjour Brioche = line up
Sansotei Ramen = line up
Plenty of places in TO with line ups not to mention the stupid food fests where people pay to line up for subpar quantities of average food.

ok yeah, that's fair. i guess you are right. i take it back.

I'm not talking about restaurants. Prices are pretty much the same (even cheaper now with the super low CAD). I'm talking about groceries. With the same budget in France or Spain I could buy so many more products and the difference in quality is night and day. Be it meat, poultry, cold cuts, yogurts, frozen products etc...

Honestly I feel like you could make bank in Canada if you launched a line of good quality food products.
this is a strange response since i mentioned a local butcher as an example. agree to disagree i guess.

I recently moved to Montreal from Paris but I also spent some time visiting Toronto. My plan was originally to move to Toronto but the cost of life and the godawful transit made me chose Montreal instead. I'm happy with my choice, Montreal is really cool and fun, I live in a big apartment in a great neighborhood for basically nothing. But there's just one thing that is still bothering me is that I still struggle to meet people and make friends, granted i'm an introvert but both time I visited Toronto I made cool friends. Maybe it'll change soon but yeah for me I still struggle with the people here.
I moved to Montreal from Mississauga (a suburb just outside of Toronto). Love Montreal. Personally I find people much easier to talk to here than back in the GTA. Been here a few years, though I do live in Dorval now to be closer to work.

KillLaCam

Banned
Vancouver for me because its super diverse. I always enjoy places like that. I reminds me of a western Singapore or something like that.

Toronto is cool too.

Top Bottom