• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the 3 party AAA Exclusives on or coming to PS4?

If you have the budget to make a AAA game, you have the budget to put it on every platform it can run on. The only reasons why you'd only be on one would be if the audience for your game is overwhelmingly on one platform or if you're being paid to only develop the game for that platform.

Sony has a sufficiently large and varied quantity of development studios that they don't really need to go to third parties to develop exclusives for them to the extent that Microsoft (who has a smaller number of internal studios, to my knowledge) or Nintendo (who needs third parties to make games that cover audiences/genres that their internal studios aren't really suited for) need to.

kswiston

If you have Played the last couple entries in the series, you wouldn't have to ask this question, it's an outstanding series

It's nowhere near AAA though. AAA games have worldwide television campaigns, product placements and tie-ins, etc on top of large production budgets.

If you have Played the last couple entries in the series, you wouldn't have to ask this question, it's an outstanding series

AAA isn't a measure of quality, though, it's a measure of budget.

The Persona series is great, but your average Assassin's Creed game probably has a larger budget than every Persona game ever released (including spinoffs and ports/re-releases) combined.

sublimit

Banned
LittleBigPlanet 3
Bloodborne

Edit: Wait i guess i didn't understand the question,did you meant upcoming 3rd party exclusives? If so then it's just Bloodborne and Yakuza 0 (of which the later will never come in the west.)

pixlexic

Banned
Yeah I was just thinking how there will never be another SNES vs Genesis era.

In that I mean those two console were like 90% exclusives and 10% multiplatform titles.
Today its the exact opposite.

Not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

Zareka

Yup, I've played every recent Persona game and I do think they're better than all of the AAA I've played (Persona is one of my favourite series, period) but that doesn't change the fact they have pretty small budgets, which is generally what the term AAA refers to.

Oneechambara Z2 Chaos.

Nevermind you said TRIPLE A.

LittleBigPlanet 3
Bloodborne

Edit: Wait i guess i didn't understand the question,did you meant upcoming 3rd party exclusives? If so then it's just Bloodborne and Yakuza 0 (of which the later will never come in the west.)
Bloodborne is first party.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to know what defines a "AAA" rating?

I was under the impression that it's something like a rating based on 3 factors.

1) review scores.
2) (innovative) gameplay
3) financial success

Or is it based on how much money is dumped into something?

AAA implies that there is a substantial amount of funding and marketing behind the development of a title. Given such resources, it doesn't really make sense to release a game exclusively on one platform because that would intentionally be restricting the potential consumer base for no gain.

The only case that I can think of is Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3, and even then we don't really know the full story behind the exclusivity. There's also the possibility that Sony co-funded the marketing push, which means that MGS4 could be considered a 2nd party title.

I don't see how any developer and/or publisher would pursue a 3rd party exclusive title, especially in this day and age, where development on one platform can be transferred to some extent to another platform more easily than it was in the past.

Faustek

At this point, nothing under a $500 million budget is AAA. Nice going, Destiny!

I know its a joke but ponder the possibility. How would the platform holders cope? We know Sony turtled in on the Vita and are putting more effort in smaller but multiple titles and they are on the PS4 as well.

Edit: as in the smaller games are on PS4 as well and not as in Sony's first party are going small.

ShinMaruku

Can someone give me an exact definition of AAA, AA, A?

There is not exact definition it's just a catch call fo big budget big hyped game. In this industry people over use words and make them lose meaning. See MMO beta and what not. You have nutters saying pso2 and destiny are MMOs.
EleGiggle.png

I blame marketers.

kswiston

1&2 no but 3 seems to be a pretty vast and expensive looking game

That doesn't make it AAA though. They are spending $40M on the title including $25M in marketing. Break even point is probably around 1.5M units. That's a mid level title for this generation.

ReaperXL7

I don't know but I wish the big third parties could make something even half as exciting to me as No Man's Sky is.

I'm not even positive NMS will be as great as I want it to be but their trailers are still the coolest of this gen so far.

I think part of it currently is that many publishers might have been betting on either MS still leading the US or had no faith that the New consoles would sell at all.

ShinMaruku

I put it to most publishers have no idea what they are doing. Only like 3 of them have their shit together. And even Activision has some things to learn. I think it's a factor of the economy and nobody having enough faith in projects to stand on their own. They have to hedge their bets. It's all these guys are mini tokugawa ieyasu and nobody is Oda Nobunaga. :p

majik13

According to this logic Demon's Souls is a 3rd party exclusive.

From doing most of the work means nothing.

I was just pointing out that From Software is a Third party Developer, and still is. And then agreeing with the setiment that it is considered a more or less a 1st/2nd party game. It all depends how things are defined. Third party game or third party developer? OP didnt clearly define what he was looking for exactly.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't understand why would anybody WANT 3rd party AAA exclusives? They are a shitty anti consumer practice that does nothing except prevent certain subsets of gamers from playing a product they would otherwise be able to play. Frankly, I'm glad they are not common practice with two of the three major platform developers.

Sony appears to be collaborating with a number of third-party developers this coming generation so finding a production without their direct involvement is a tricky aspect to answering the criteria (along with ignoring second-party choices). Off the top of my head, I believe these are some major players that are strictly exclusive to the PS4:
  • Bloodborne (From Software)
  • Deep Down (Capcom)
  • Hellblade (Ninja Theory; timed-exclusive)
  • Let It Die (Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Rime (Tequila Works)
  • Silent Hills (Konami)
Plus a few cross-platform options:
  • Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix)
  • Guilty Gear Xrd (Arc System)
  • Persona 5 (Atlus)
  • Ryū ga Gotoku: Ishin! & Zero (Sega; JPN import)

Top Bottom