• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2013)

Nezumi

Ah..yes. The common problem with modern polish mainsteam literature - it's all nonsense ramblings without any story.
For actual good story one needs to go to fantasy/SF/crime novels.

Well I didn't want to phrase it quite so harsh... but that was exactly what I thought about this book. I was going to read the Witcher Books soon and am quite confident that they will restore my fate in polish literature. Hope the translation doesn't suck though.

Nymerio

Still reading through the Garrett P.I. series:

51tLUJ7CZiL.jpg

These covers are so bad...

thog16

Neo Member
3045.jpg

Finnaly finished this (English title is Runners). I honestly don't know what to make out of this book. I get the whole parts where the books deals with the constant moving around of the modern day person. But I really didn't get how the constant mentioning of plastination fitted into it. Reall strange book that also dragged on at times. It was one of two books I got as a present when I applied for an internship at a little publishing house. The second being:

zeh_juli_schilf_bichtitel.jpg

English title is Dark Matter or Free Fall in the US. Started it yesterday. Not sure if I like her writing style much but this one appears to at least have a story.
It is a very good novel, very thoughtful, but also quite a bit depressing.

eattomorro

Neo Member
I love the Gormenghast trilogy, but it is something you've got to sink yourself into up to the eyeballs. Book 2 in particular has some really spectacular stuff in it.

Have you read Mr Pye yet?

I really enjoyed the first book, I just think video games and movies have killed my attention span. And if I had problems with this, think how Bleak House is gonna mess with me.

Never Read Mr. Pye, did you enjoy it?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I really enjoyed the first book, I just think video games and movies have killed my attention span. And if I had problems with this, think how Bleak House is gonna mess with me.

Never Read Mr. Pye, did you enjoy it?

Wonderfully quirky little book. Must have read it about four times now.

There are two Neil Gaiman books, American Gods, and Good Omens on sale for $1.99 on Amazon. Either of these worth a read? The only other Neil Gaiman book I've read is The Graveyard Book, which I enjoyed.

Dresden

There are two Neil Gaiman books, American Gods, and Good Omens on sale for $1.99 on Amazon. Either of these worth a read? The only other Neil Gaiman book I've read is The Graveyard Book, which I enjoyed.

Those are his best books, so yes. Good Omens in particular.

Tenrius

I read American Gods and it was dandy. Will probably even give it a reread at some point.

mike23

tTbBxpO.png

Recently read the Advent Mage series, pretty good, but a bit disappointing. Best way I can describe is that it's a not so epic, epic fantasy.

iW4Cg3S.jpg
mh7hPem.jpg

cf1TWrd.jpg
qPqz0r7.jpg

On a side note, how is Mage not in the chrome spelling dictionary.

Empty

scorsese by ebert

collection of reviews, essays, interviews spanning from scorsese's first film to the departed. ebert clearly has a great affinity towards scorsese's work, his reviews repeatedly refer to him as the greatest living american filmaker, and relates a lot to the themes that scorsese keeps returning to, like guilt, in particular roman catholic concepts of guilt, and struggles with properly relating to women. this gives his writing a real personal touch that makes his reviews very insightful, especially when it comes to identifying scorsese's own ability to find parts of himself the lives (jesus, jake la motta, henry hill, howard hughes) or work (paul schraders scripts, age of innocence, cape fear) of other people. the centerpiece of the book is a long one on one interview between the two from 1997, printed in full, but it doesn't really work. marty is so passionate his stream of consciousness talking style doesn't translate well to print, nor does not having the clips they refer to in front of you make for fun reading.

reasons to live by amy hempel

short story collection about people struggling in their lives with a very unique and stylish voice that i found spell-binding. her prose is incredibly stripped down and what's there in each story are scatterings of beautifully observed and empathetic moments or feelings linked together by these breaks that say as much as the words do. there are a few weak stories that are a little too brief and cute, but the longer ones, and by longer i mean about fifteen pages, are outstanding. i can easily see someone hating it, but i read the whole book it one go and walked around in a melancholy trance afterwards.

what i talk about when i talk about running by haruki murakami

part autobiography, part diary, part collection of life lessons, part manifesto for the benefits of regular excersise, part answer to millions of people asking for tips about how to become a writer, this is quite a strange book. it's not really cohesive and wanders into the realm of indulgence and inane at times (do we care what running shoes he likes or what he has on his minidisc(!)) but i found learning about how murakami first decided to become a writer - by just doing it - and the detailed descriptions of his marathon and triathlon experiences quite interesting and yes it did make me want to get back into running.

Masenkame

I finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon several days ago. This novel is a phenomenal read. It's irreverent and heartbreaking. I really enjoyed the prose, with Chabon using great descriptions and metaphors. The setting of novel in an alternate history present-day Jewish Alaskan settlement is interesting, and Chabon does not waste it. The characters are both steeped and mired in Jewish identity and culture.

I'm reading this right now as well. Enjoying it, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed Kav and Clay.

I have that novel and Wonder Boys in my collection. I'm looking forward to those two.

I'm currently halfway through The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. It's interesting so far.

Bonethug

Do share how this is when you're finished. When it first mentioned in this thread it certainly did peak my interest.
P1A20xY.jpg

Bonethug said:
A third of the way done, and so far it has been the life and times of a video game designer in 1997 with geek culture name drops ala Ready Player One.
The name drops are not as in your face and as heavily involved with the plot of the story as they are in RPO.
So far it has not been what I was expecting, but may be at the point where the story starts to develop.

Finally, finished limping through this book. Did not enjoy the book much. I found the middle half that focused on the past and not the game development to be especially painful.

Bauhaus

Banned
Just picked up Don Quixote a couple days back myself.

For those that have read it, is there anything I need to know or should keep in mind before I jump in?

Thanks
The book gains a lot in audio format, try to get the audiobook.
Also, you should probably read about Amadis de Gaula, El cantar de Roldan and Mio Cid before you start.

P1A20xY.jpg

Finally, finished limping through this book. Did not enjoy the book much. I found the middle half that focused on the past and not the game development to be especially painful.

Yeah I'm in the middle of the slog right now. Sometimes the writing is just so bad I have no will to read on. But I'm kind of forcing myself to finish now.

LadyRiven

Good Omens is one of my favorite novels. In fact, I don't have a copy, so after reading this I just went to buy it. ;p I still have American Gods on the 'to-read' list.

I also noticed that InterWorld is $1.99, so I'm grabbing that, too.

Kuraudo

Banned
Just picked up Don Quixote a couple days back myself.

For those that have read it, is there anything I need to know or should keep in mind before I jump in?

Thanks

Just dive in. It's very accessible despite its age, especially with the modern translations. There are a lot of references that you may want to follow up on while reading (the end notes in the Penguin edition are pretty good for this), but you won't lose anything if you don't.

Really fantastic book.

krishian

Finished Cornwell's Lords of the North.

Started this bad boy:
Cover-River-of-Stars-by-Guy-Gavriel-Kay.jpg

Only 20 pages in but dat Kay prose <3
Finished this a couple of days ago, one of his best so far imo (and I love all of them other than Fionavar and Tigana). Love the Chinese setting and hope we get another book there, maybe set during the Mongol conquests or something.

Right now I'm reading the last novel in the Dunk & Egg tales.

After that it's time for:

Been thinking about buying The First Law trilogy boxset, but haven't read anything from Joe Abercrombie. Saw this book at a local library, in English, and thought it was a good idea to read it so I'll know for sure if I'll like The First Law trilogy as well. Although I also like aSoIaF, so I think I'll the First Law as well.

suzu

Right now I'm reading the last novel in the Dunk & Egg tales.

After that it's time for:

Been thinking about buying The First Law trilogy boxset, but haven't read anything from Joe Abercrombie. Saw this book at a local library, in English, and thought it was a good idea to read it so I'll know for sure if I'll like The First Law trilogy as well. Although I also like aSoIaF, so I think I'll the First Law as well.

You'll probably get more out of it if you read The First Law trilogy first, before starting Red Country.

If you want a more "standalone" book by Joe Abercrombie, then you could try Best Served Cold. It is set in the same world.

You'll probably get more out of it if you read The First Law trilogy first, before starting Red Country.

If you want a more "standalone" book by Joe Abercrombie, then you could try Best Served Cold. It is set in the same world.

Hmm. No library has Best Served Cold, could buy it for 12 euros. But I'd rather put that money towards the boxset, which is 29 euros.

Fjordson

I don't think The First Law trilogy is on ASOIF's level, but you'll probably enjoy it. I thought it was fantastic. Going to start reading Abercrombie's standalone novels based in the First Law universe soon.

Wiktor

Can anyone recommend me a book? I'm looking for something set in a fantasy world (more along the lines on Lotr) or a highly regarded book(any genre) around 200 to 300 pages. I'm trying to get back into reading and everyone. Know is screaming at me to read Game of Thrones but I don't want to dive into a 1000 page book right away.

Thanks

I would recommend the early works of Jonathan Carroll. Especially Voice of Our Shadow, The Land of Laughs and Sleeping in Flame.

I put this in the 50/50 thread but thought there may be some interest here. I can't vouch for the quality of any of these books since I haven't read them, but here you go:

Choose from 20 different Kindle books for $1 per book (up to 20).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1001174961

If anyone has read our can recommend any, that would be greatly appreciated. Might apply to US only.

List is:
Adventures of the Karaoke King by Harold Taw
Aftermath by Jerry S. Drake
Augusta by Carolyn Brown
Bone River by Megan Chance
China Jack by Karl Lassiter
Current of Love by Sandra Leesmith
Finding Emma by Steena Holmes
In the Dismal Swamp by Patrick Balester
Mulligan Girl by Rebecca L. Boschee
Murder Express by Robert Scott
One Bitten by Stephen Leather
She Can Run by Melinda Leigh
Strings Attached by Nick Nolan
The Dove by Carolyn Brown
The First Assassin by John J. Miller
The King of Kahle by Tierno Monénembo
The Kingdom Of Strange by Shula Klinger
The Last Voyage of the Steamer Barnard Clinton by David E. Unruh
The Spy Lover by Kiana Davenport
Tune In Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries by Tim Anderson

uvz

Neo Member
216363.jpg

Halfway thru the book so far. Great stuff, what if Japan and Germany won the war? Feels almost realistic, and having an alternate history novel be a major plot device within an alternate history novel, that's just the genius of PKD. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

favourite sci fi writer, why is he dead.

My problem is more with the very one dimensional, very black and white characters than with the ideology. If a character's features are "angular" they're going to be a good guy with nigh-superhuman abilities, if a character is described as having gone to college (anywhere but Patrick Henry University, of course) they're probably useless at their job. Nobody has children except for one case I remember in
the "Maker's" little hideaway, and those kids are there for a couple of sentences worth of a point then disappear
. I just don't think Rand is all that great of a writer.

I read both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead back to back about two years ago and I felt The Fountainhead was the better novel. They both suffer from many of the same major issues but with The Fountainhead it felt like I was reading a novel with a philosophical message and with Atlas Shrugged it felt like I was reading a philosophy book with an incredibly thin layer of story on top. Other than the totally ridiculous court case at the end most of what I remember from The Fountainhead is at least plausible. I'm not surprised that Rand went into non-fiction for the rest of her career after Atlas Shrugged because IMO when reading it it seemed pretty obvious that non-fiction is what she wanted to be writing anyway.

I agree with everything you say. I really dislike the way you are told to hate or admire characters, especially franseca d whatever. Its fustrating because somtimes i feel its a very well written book, other times i feel insulted by how much she has to spell out that hes a bad man hate him. Like you said a lot of characters actions defy belief like the train crisis chapter. I feel she uses cheap tricks throughout.

ymmv

Banned
I've been getting on with

vNv55jf.jpg

Not very far into it so far, but I'm in love with it already. The writing feels so effortlessly perfect.

I want to read a few classic western novels. What else is there besides Lonesome Dove and Blood Meridian?

survivor

Banned
Got bunch of new Agatha Christie novels. It's been almost a year since the last one I read so I'm very excited to go through them.

Started with Five Little Pigs first. Seems to be one of those investigating old cases type of mystery which are always fun to read and and too different from the regular cases.
ibeVIlSfwkOgqF.jpg

Also, I think most of her novels got a new refresh cause I'm seeing a lot of newly printed editions. I like the style they went for with most of the new covers.

I want to read a few classic western novels. What else is there besides Lonesome Dove and Blood Meridian?

More Cormac McCarthy (Cities of the Plain & All The Pretty Horses)
More Larry McMurtry (Comanche Moon & Dead Man's Walk)

Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey - free ebook on Gutenberg

How the West Was Won - Louis L'amour (he wrote about 100 westerns)

Unforgiven: The Screenplay - David Webb Peoples (is SO good it deserves to be read on its own as literature)

The Big Sky - A. B. Guthrie

Shane - Jack Shaefer

I just finished the last book in the Wheel of Time series and I'm left kind of stunned at how badly the last 100 or so pages were written. What the hell, Sanderson? You were doing an OK job and then... :/

Starting:
images

5th book and it has been a pretty fantastic series so far. Dat 4th book climax.

I just finished that and started
thebonehunters1.jpg

Series is kind of in a weird transition phase right now, but based on the review scores I've seen, this one is supposed to be one of, it not the best, in the series. I just hope there's a Kruppe appearance at some point!

Seandor

Neo Member
Ah, Lonesome Dove. It's been about 15 years since I've read it, so I think I might do a reread this year. It's still one of my favorite books after all these years. In fact, some years ago I had a girlfriend who I recommended it to, and she didn't even get halfway through, saying it was boring of all things. After we broke up, whenever I found myself missing her I would just remember that little fact, and decide that I was well rid of her!

Speaking of which, have any of you big Lonesome Dove fans seen the television mini-series? It's so damn fantastic that the actors who played the roles are permanently burned in my mind as the embodiments of those characters. Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as Gus and Woodrow in particular. There were also television adaptations of every other book in the series, and while they don't compare to Lonesome Dove, they're still sorta fun to watch after reading the books.

Reading:

Persepolis
The Book Thief

Pretty great books so far.

Also, got my first eReader, the KoboGlo :D

Aura HD looks great, but no $$ :(

Also, I finished like the first chapter of Game of Thrones, but I have a pet peeve of reading books where I know what happens. Since I've been keeping up with the show and all... I want to stop watching the show until I finish the books, but both are so good and I don't want one to take away from the other.

I watched LoTR way before I got the books, and I couldn't get through the books because I knew the story. I just hate not being able to imagine for myself when reading. I want to discover the story, but it's already been told to me :(

How good do the Song of I&F books get past the latest TV episode? I would hope it maintains its greatness, but I'm afraid to commit.

Jintor

I've got myself doubting if I'll hit my 60 book target this year... should've stuck to 50. I'm 8 behind on schedule and most of the ones on my shelf are 500-pagers at least :/

Kallor

I just finished that and started
thebonehunters1.jpg

Series is kind of in a weird transition phase right now, but based on the review scores I've seen, this one is supposed to be one of, it not the best, in the series. I just hope there's a Kruppe appearance at some point!

Lol. Love Kruppe. So, did you enjoy Midnight Tides? (spoil me not! only about a 140 pages in) Also, are you or have you read any of the Ian C Esslemont books? Been wondering if I should bother with them.

jdavid459

Can anyone reccommend me a book about a road trip/ cross country adventure? Something exciting. Seen Into the Wild (movie)... loved it, tried reading On the Road by Kerouac but didn't find it interesting at all.

Krowley

Ah, Lonesome Dove. It's been about 15 years since I've read it, so I think I might do a reread this year. It's still one of my favorite books after all these years. In fact, some years ago I had a girlfriend who I recommended it to, and she didn't even get halfway through, saying it was boring of all things. After we broke up, whenever I found myself missing her I would just remember that little fact, and decide that I was well rid of her!

Speaking of which, have any of you big Lonesome Dove fans seen the television mini-series? It's so damn fantastic that the actors who played the roles are permanently burned in my mind as the embodiments of those characters. Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as Gus and Woodrow in particular. There were also television adaptations of every other book in the series, and while they don't compare to Lonesome Dove, they're still sorta fun to watch after reading the books.

Yeah, the Lonesome Dove mini-series is one of the finest adaptions of a book I can ever remember seeing. Mostly because the acting is so fantastic.

Gus and Call will always be Duval and Jones in my mind too. They're just perfect in every way.

Lol. Love Kruppe. So, did you enjoy Midnight Tides? (spoil me not! only about a 140 pages in) Also, are you or have you read any of the Ian C Esslemont books? Been wondering if I should bother with them.

I liked Midnight Tides a lot, except the ending was a disappointment in my mind. I'm not sure other people would say the same thing. I can't explain it better than that without saying too much. Still a great book overall, and introduced a couple of my new favorite characters (Tehol and Bugg).

BTW, I like your name!

Kallor

I liked Midnight Tides a lot, except the ending was a disappointment in my mind. I'm not sure other people would say the same thing. I can't explain it better than that without saying too much. Still a great book overall, and introduced a couple of my new favorite characters (Tehol and Bugg).

BTW, I like your name!

Good to hear, sometimes these books can be a bit tough to sink into.

And thanks ;-)

bengraven

I had seen bits and pieces of the mini-series when it first came out 20 years ago, which obviously spoiled a lot of scenes like the moccasin swarm --- as a kid who's trying not to watch this "boring western" all the old people are watching, it's hard not to remember a boy getting dragged underwater and bitten to death by poisonous snakes.

I read the book for the first time last year and I tried hard not to think of the actors in the parts. I came up with my own cast actually, though I still really couldn't get a better actor for Gus, so I still pictured a younger Robert Duvall. My cast had Call being Unforgiven-aged Clint Eastwood, Eric Bana as Jake Spoon, Mary Louise-Parker as Clara and a few others I can't remember now. It was a "good cast" though.

Soon after I finally watched the mini-series from beginning to end and my god, it aged well. It was fantastic and one of the best and most faithful adaptations I've ever seen.

Top Bottom