• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

Loxley

KwAjKtM.jpg

Researching for a graphic novel that I'm writing/illustrating.

You should read this, if you haven't already:

51ABBhMm5GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

But not so much this:

51vVMLCuljL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Rachman's first novel, The Imperfectionists (interwoven stories about the demise of an English language newspaper based in Rome) was very well-received and I loved it so much, I could NOT wait for a follow-up.

Rise & Fall is the follow-up. And even though I read the NYT review after I'd already read the novel, I couldn't help but very much embrace the reviews opening:

Once you flip past the title page of a novel or story collection, you are entering into a relationship with someone, the fiction writer, who will try to deceive you for his or her own selfish reasons — literary glory, financial gain, sexual display, take your pick. At some point you decide whether or not you will let yourself look past the motive that helped bring the book into being, a decision that depends on your sense of how fairly the writer has treated you.

You know the old lament of writers - 'there are so many great books already, why the hell am I doing this'? This novel simply has no reason to exist, which is shocking, given how great his first was. This is one of those 'I've got a mortgage to pay, so I've got to write something' type of deals. Instead of getting even more ambitious, Rachman scales things down to a (SHOCK!) precocious girl being banded about the globe by (SURPRISE!) quirky people that may or may not be related to her. And OF COURSE the truth of their relation to her is not revealed until the end, even though EVERYONE in the novel has known the answer the entire time. And as much as I've railed against The Goldfinch, Rachman's book exists in that same general area - a character study of a character that isn't the least bit interesting. At lest Rise & Fall was shorter.

Nezumi

Finished:

61StbxJx%2B3L._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

Loved it, though not quite as much as the first one. The new narrator was a blessing though.

The_White_Rose.jpg

Really enjoyable read. But considering how much build up there was I thought that the ending felt a bit rushed.

Now listening and reading:

616fd5PwCuL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,10,70_OU03_AA300_.jpg

(The Witcher 2 - The Time of Contempt)

The story is crawling along at a snail's pace but somehow the detailed world-building makes up for it.

12109372.jpg

About 30% in and really liking it. Feels very fresh and imaginative. Though I have to either finish it tonight or put it aside since tomorrow this comes out.

widow.jpg

Seeing how things developed in the last book I'm really exited to read on.

TripOpt55

I finished Before They Are Hanged and am now into Last Argument of Kings. Really excited to see how this story wraps up.

Cerity

Tried getting back into the brothers karamazov but just couldn't do it. I can't deal with pages after pages of dialogue dealing with an aspect of religion or the universe.

Going to give this a go I guess.

Zoyoxak.jpg

Zoyoxak.jpg

That is a fantastic novel. If you like it, grab the other two books, which are equally as fantastic - The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it when you're done!

bigf00t

Really enjoyable read. But considering how much build up there was I thought that the ending felt a bit rushed.

I really enjoy the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, and I've heard this compared favorably. If you've read any of Erikson's, would you agree?

All_the_pretty_horses_mccarthy_cover.jpg

Just finished this, and I really enjoyed it. I read Blood Meridian a couple weeks ago, and I preferred it, but this was good too. The plot felt a little more structured, maybe even formulaic; I'm not sure if I like that. It's not what I expect from McCarthy. Still great though, with some amazing scenes.

55398.jpg

Speaking of Book of the Fallen, I'm a couple chapters into this, and it's off to an amazing start. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but Erikson always pulls me in.

I finished reading nearly all of MIchael Connelly's books last month. Harry Bosch is a great character, but I struggled to finish the books in the end. Not sure if it was the books themselves or the fact I read them all back to back, but I found the last few a bit lacking.

140671.jpg

Started reading The Black Company by Glen Cook thanks to all the positive GAF reviews but I admit I'm having a hard time getting into it. The writing style is quite different and I'm not sure if it's the ebook version I have, but there are a lot of typos and weird things going on with the formatting as well. Can someone help sell me on these books? I really want to like them but, like I said, I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Only 7 books left until I finish the 50 movies/50 books in a year challenge, woohoo!

I don't remember a single typo in the Black Company series, but I read them in the packaged trilogy editions.

As far as the series goes, I found it phenomenal. The story really grows into an epic fantasy tale. I'll admit it won me over from the start, so if you're struggling with finding it interesting that may not change.

Being in the military made me especially drawn to the camaraderie between all the Company members.

I'm on the third book of the Mistborn series, and I recently read WoK and WoR. What should my next Sanderson book be? I never gave him a shot before, and I'm shocked at how much I've enjoyed his books.

Pau

I'm on the third book of the Mistborn series, and I recently read WoK and WoR. What should my next Sanderson book be? I never gave him a shot before, and I'm shocked at how much I've enjoyed his books.
I really liked The Emperor's Soul. It's very short though. I thought Alloy of Law (which takes place in the Mistborn universe) to be pretty mediocre.

I really liked The Emperor's Soul. It's very short though. I thought Alloy of Law (which takes place in the Mistborn universe) to be pretty mediocre.

Thanks for the response. That's a bummer about Alloy of Law. I will probably still give it a chance, but I might move it down my list.

tmarques

Almost done and trying to understand what is supposed to be scandalous about it. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie but it's so boring I suspect the DVD will be collecting dust for a long while.

Dresden

It's only the best novel of 2014 from one of the best writers working today.

It was okay. Thought it'd be better as a short story or a novella, limited to showing only the half-time stuff. Not particularly incisive or funny, covering ground already well trod. The use of 'ire' in place of 'our' to parody patriotic americanspeak was a pretty nice touch though. It creates a nice cadence of, dunno, anger or grief whenever it's repeated, ire, ire, ire, ire flag, ire boys, ire freedom, ire guns. Nina leven. We're still for the war, don't you worry.

Cade

Started reading The Black Company by Glen Cook thanks to all the positive GAF reviews but I admit I'm having a hard time getting into it. The writing style is quite different and I'm not sure if it's the ebook version I have, but there are a lot of typos and weird things going on with the formatting as well. Can someone help sell me on these books? I really want to like them but, like I said, I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Only 7 books left until I finish the 50 movies/50 books in a year challenge, woohoo!

I've noticed almost every eBook is typo-ridden. It's pretty bad. I assume it's not an Amazon thing, but a publisher/author-submitted thing? Otherwise Amazon needs to step their game up. I'd take whoever's job it is for half pay. Contact me Amazon.

--
I finished The Last Town, the third Wayward Pines book. Ultimately it felt like 2.5, like all this could've been in the second book if Crouch hadn't wanted it to be a trilogy. The ending also fell flat for me since it was such an obvious cop-out that I somehow didn't see coming. Decent series, though.

Not sure what I'm starting next. Might finish Bone.

Nymerio

Tried getting back into the brothers karamazov but just couldn't do it. I can't deal with pages after pages of dialogue dealing with an aspect of religion or the universe.

Zoyoxak.jpg

This is one of my favourite books, I hope you enjoy it.

duckroll

Finished up Annihilation pretty quickly. Really short book. That was a good read. Haly keeps talking about this "New Weird" movement, but I've heard of it before. The book reminded me a lot of Lovecraft, but in a much more modern and concise way. Very captivating setting, with just the right mix of dread and wonder. The scope was what surprised me the most, because it was a book which felt like a short story. The restrain on the narrative made the tone much stronger because like all good mysterious settings, it's what we don't know or understand which makes the horror more effective.

Looking forward to digging through the next book soon.

SleazyC

16158559.jpg

So far very interesting book, the writing style is very stilted and rapid-paced that fits an image of what a book written by Tyson would be like. Not sure if Tyson wrote any of this book but it certainly feels like he did.

Shengar

http://i.imgur.com/7rlevB0.jpg[IMG]

Otherwise known as I Am a Cat. Picking it up again after putting it down about 2 years ago. Figured my Japanese is good enough to finish it this time around.[/QUOTE]
The english translation is astounding. I hope I can read it in its native language soon.

Reading

policeman_final_72.jpg

and absolutely loving it. Bought the sequels on the back of half of this. Now praying that Winters nails the ending. Adored his horror novel Bedbugs a couple of years ago, and then wrote him off a little based on those Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters novels he did. Evidently that was a bit of a mistake.

Woorloog

Banned
Thanks for the response. That's a bummer about Alloy of Law. I will probably still give it a chance, but I might move it down my list.

Very fun book, if short. I kind of like it more than the original series. Kind of a western+Roaring Twenties+magic. Fun. Unique as far as i know.

I recommend Warbreaker too

besada

Banned
I have just finished reading Shards of Honor, Barrayar, and Warrior's Apprentice by Bujold. I have a bunch of other stuff queued up, but for now I think I'll stay in the Vorkosigan universe.

140671.jpg

I started reading this as well. I'm finding it kind of...not very well written? Might be the translator's fault. It moves very quickly too. In a way that's cool, but sometimes it doesn't have enough time to build up an atmosphere and give things weight. But the plot so far is interesting.

besada

Banned
Finished up Annihilation pretty quickly. Really short book. That was a good read. Haly keeps talking about this "New Weird" movement, but I've heard of it before. The book reminded me a lot of Lovecraft, but in a much more modern and concise way. Very captivating setting, with just the right mix of dread and wonder. The scope was what surprised me the most, because it was a book which felt like a short story. The restrain on the narrative made the tone much stronger because like all good mysterious settings, it's what we don't know or understand which makes the horror more effective.

Looking forward to digging through the next book soon.
Glad you liked it. I think Authority is even better. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion in Acceptance.

Reading

policeman_final_72.jpg

and absolutely loving it. Bought the sequels on the back of half of this. Now praying that Winters nails the ending. Adored his horror novel Bedbugs a couple of years ago, and then wrote him off a little based on those Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters novels he did. Evidently that was a bit of a mistake.

The whole trilogy is amazing and the ending is...I can't even. So good.

Nymerio

So, I looked up The Last Policeman on goodreads and the premise sounds very cool. Definitely something I'm going to read.

Just started Blood Song though. Liking hit so far.

13569581.jpg

Low Red Moon by Caitlin R. Kiernan.

The Neil Gaiman blurb that adorns the trade paperback edition Low Red Moon states that Kiernan has "a gift for language that borders on scary". That's not really hyperbole. Kiernan is super-talented. She puts together words, phrases and sentences that demand to be read and read again. Her writing can't be simply read, it has to be adored. Low Red Moon is no different.

Low Red Moon is a werewolf novel, but it's not like any werewolf novel you've ever read before. Kiernan isn't interested in full-on Lycanthrope madness. There is fur and fangs and claws, but the werewolf Narcissa Snow does most of her monstrous things while still in her human form. Deranged, Narcissa is convinced she can gain access to an ancient order, by offering up the unborn child of a gifted psychic.

Like in Silk, Kiernan starts out providing plausible real-world explanations for all the strange shit that's happening. She does a great job walking this line, until she decides to fully step over into the realm of the unexplainable. By the end of the book, she's charging into a vaguely Lovecraftian nightmare world of Ancient Gods and monsters. It's a great book, and easily one of her stronger works.

Up next:

2176907.jpg

I just graduated high school and am bored this summer so I'm reading a bunch of YA Fiction I missed because I didn't read much during high school. I read through the Divergent Trilogy a week or so back (thought it was really awful and am surprised it got a movie deal) and just finished the Maze Runner Trilogy and its prequel (I thought the second book had great twists and mind games but the ending of the series left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth). I also found out that Cinda Williams Chima wrote another Heir book, so I reread the first three books and The Enchanter Heir (really good book btw even if it doesn't really tie in much to the others).

I tried the link in the OP for "100 Books High School Students Should Read" but the link's broken. Anybody have recommendations?

Seanspeed

Banned
You should read this, if you haven't already:

51ABBhMm5GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

But not so much this:

51vVMLCuljL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Rachman's first novel, The Imperfectionists (interwoven stories about the demise of an English language newspaper based in Rome) was very well-received and I loved it so much, I could NOT wait for a follow-up.

Rise & Fall is the follow-up. And even though I read the NYT review after I'd already read the novel, I couldn't help but very much embrace the reviews opening:

Once you flip past the title page of a novel or story collection, you are entering into a relationship with someone, the fiction writer, who will try to deceive you for his or her own selfish reasons — literary glory, financial gain, sexual display, take your pick. At some point you decide whether or not you will let yourself look past the motive that helped bring the book into being, a decision that depends on your sense of how fairly the writer has treated you.

You know the old lament of writers - 'there are so many great books already, why the hell am I doing this'? This novel simply has no reason to exist, which is shocking, given how great his first was. This is one of those 'I've got a mortgage to pay, so I've got to write something' type of deals. Instead of getting even more ambitious, Rachman scales things down to a (SHOCK!) precocious girl being banded about the globe by (SURPRISE!) quirky people that may or may not be related to her. And OF COURSE the truth of their relation to her is not revealed until the end, even though EVERYONE in the novel has known the answer the entire time. And as much as I've railed against The Goldfinch, Rachman's book exists in that same general area - a character study of a character that isn't the least bit interesting. At lest Rise & Fall was shorter.
I thought The Imperfectionists was a pretty decent read. Not sure I 'loved it', but it was an interesting little romp with a unique setup.

Shame his other one sounds like it was phoned-in.

I tried to like the Last Policeman, and got maybe 20% in or so I believe, but it just never grabbed me I guess.

Back to Football I go, with the season starting soon, it's all coming together. Figure this book could help me understand everything else better away from the ball.

Now Reading..

Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look by Pat Kirwan
8580731.jpg
Let me know what you think. I feel I could be in the mood for some football reading myself with the new season upon us!

I finished 11/22/63 which was pretty good and am now onto The Golem and The Jinni after a few nice reviews on here.

About 40% through and its really good so far. I love the setting, I love the writing, I love that its fantastical without using stereotypical fantasy elements, and its another author who I feel has wonderful insight into the nature of humanity which I'm always a fan of. Its also incredibly charming so far.

zanos

Neo Member
77431.jpg

I'm an Age of Sail junkie, and this is probably the paragon of the 'sea novel' series genre. You have your Conrad and Melville and even a bit of J.F. Cooper, but the scope of these novels is pretty massive and the attention to detail from the jargon and seamanship to the vernacular of the day is quite an achievement. I would imagine that this drives some people insane, but I have to confess a certain admiration for it. So far the series has been fantastic. Sure, it has its slow moments but overall it's well written, well thought out, and quite enjoyable.

I am about half way through this...

passage.png

I am really liking it so far! very interesting characters, and great atmosphere. Anybody read the second book as well? I can definitely see my self continuing the series.

Very fun book, if short. I kind of like it more than the original series. Kind of a western+Roaring Twenties+magic. Fun. Unique as far as i know.

I recommend Warbreaker too

Coming off the high that is the original trilogy, I'll probably give it a little bit of time before diving into this one. If I read it next then I might view it poorly just from series fatigue. I got lost in the Discworld series for a month or two earlier this year, and I ended up not enjoying some of the books as much as I probably would have if I had read them at a slower pace. I may read a couple more of them then come back to Sanderson.

Thanks for the Warbreaker recommendation.

ShaneB

Let me know what you think. I feel I could be in the mood for some football reading myself with the new season upon us!

So far so good! Nice educational read for me. If you're looking for Football reading I'd probably suggest Collision Low Crossers, or if you play fantasy sports, certainly check out Fantasy Life which I really liked as a really fun read.

Finished Hardwired and started California. I better like this, Sushi, or its your head!! :b

California by Edan Lepucki

77431.jpg

I'm an Age of Sail junkie, and this is probably the paragon of the 'sea novel' series genre. You have your Conrad and Melville and even a bit of J.F. Cooper, but the scope of these novels is pretty massive and the attention to detail from the jargon and seamanship to the vernacular of the day is quite an achievement. I would imagine that this drives some people insane, but I have to confess a certain admiration for it. So far the series has been fantastic. Sure, it has its slow moments but overall it's well written, well thought out, and quite enjoyable.

Master and Commander was definitely my favorite book club book. I really should continue on in the series.

hythloday

passage.png

I am really liking it so far! very interesting characters, and great atmosphere. Anybody read the second book as well? I can definitely see my self continuing the series.

I read the second book. It was good, but I think the The Passage hooked me more. Actually I had forgotten the third book is due this year or next year, I'll have to look for that.

I just finished:

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

Wanted some non-fiction, and it did nicely.

I keep trying to restart Crossroads of Twilight in the Wheel of Time series, but I just can't get into it. I'll come back to it at some point because I really wanted to finish the series this year. Just have to slog through
chapter upon chapter of characters who I couldn't give a fuck about to get to the ones I actually do for 2 or 3 scenes, then it's back to Nobody in Bumfuck doing a thing.

I just started this instead. I really like "family saga" stories a la The Thorn Birds so this might be decent for me.

In the Land of the Long White Cloud by Sarah Lark

passage.png

I really liked the book until I got to the end. I forgot where but it totally jumped the shark for me, so I never wanted to start reading the second book.

Finished Hardwired and started California. I better like this, Sushi, or its your head!! :b

California by Edan Lepucki

Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think about it (even if you don't like it).

Stoner - John Williams

418R39DsUqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Initially I held my judgement for the book. But after going through the first chapter, I could not deny the brilliance in the writing. It is so impeccable and carried in such beautiful tones that I was just left moved. Even more surprising was how simple the story was, humble but captivating at the same time. Stoner surely deserves its praise. An unforgettable read in the truest of senses and one I will hold as a priceless experience. Classically recommended.

thomaser

Agreed. I took two Wilde classes, one in undergrad, one in grad, and never got an appreciation for his poetry. The Ballad of Reading Gaol was okay, but for all of Wilde's individualism, his poetry relied on too many Classical and Romantic tropes. Was it Yeats who called Wilde an, "almost great poet"? lol

Yes, at this point I'm halfway through and starting to get really tired of Melpomene, Arcady and daffodils. His poems have none of the clever wit that's so characteristic of his stories and plays. He's just namedropping mythical figures and other poets.

I have just finished reading Shards of Honor, Barrayar, and Warrior's Apprentice by Bujold. I have a bunch of other stuff queued up, but for now I think I'll stay in the Vorkosigan universe.

I like those, but I was never able to do them back to back, just too much space opera at once. Had to space them out a little bit with some other books. My favorite stuff of hers is actually her Chalion fantasy series. Give them a try if you need a break from space.

This is my current jam. I tend to read multiple history books on the same topics in chunks, so I picked this up with a current Soviet / Communist China history kick. It's a good read, but doesn't really connect you to any characters the way that the best history books do, so it does tend a bit dry at times. Bit surprised that it was a Pulitzer winner, but the research level is pretty impressive.

Stoner - John Williams

418R39DsUqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Initially I held my judgement for the book. But after going through the first chapter, I could not deny the brilliance in the writing. It is so impeccable and carried in such beautiful tones that I was just left moved. Even more surprising was how simple the story was, humble but captivating at the same time. Stoner surely deserves its praise. An unforgettable read in the truest of senses and one I will hold as a priceless experience. Classically recommended.

Yep. The first chapter conveys the tone of the book so beautifully. To anyone who is thinking about this book, just read the first chapter. If you're not interested after that, then the book probably isn't for you since it's less of a plot-driven book. Nothing really _happens_ but it "doesn't happen" in such heart-achingly poignant prose. Aaaah, I just can't describe it.

Top Bottom