• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They share some similarities because Pizzaman is kind of a one-note author.
Fix't.

Also, Galveston has been optioned by some studio or another so if Pizzaman delivers on True Dick S2, you'll probably see Galveston on the silver screen in a year or two.

TripOpt55

I finished Last Argument of Kings and liked it. I'm not sure I'm happy with how everything ended, but I'm also thinking it feels appropriate for the trilogy to end this way. I will definitely be checking out the standalone novels in this series. How do they compare to the trilogy?

Next up though is The Way of Kings, which was recommended by some in these threads.

lightus

I finished Last Argument of Kings and liked it. I'm not sure I'm happy with how everything ended, but I'm also thinking it feels appropriate for the trilogy to end this way. I will definitely be checking out the standalone novels in this series. How do they compare to the trilogy?

Next up though is The Way of Kings, which was recommended by some in these threads.

They are enjoyable, but there is a definite drop in quality. I'd give it some time between books as they can feel a bit "same-y" if read too close together.

On a bit of a Stephen King kick right now (it helps that my library has like 25 of his books in the Kindle format). I just finished Dead Zone, and started Needful Things. I have a feeling I am going to really like Needful Things.

SolKane

Working my way through this:
the-short-novels-of-john-steinbeck-683x1024.jpg

ShaneB

Let me know what you think. I feel I could be in the mood for some football reading myself with the new season upon us!

Finished it up yesterday and gave it 4/5. My review summed it up, as a learning resource, think some of it went over my head at times, and I know I won't retain a lot of it, but still learned a bunch, and it was a just a nice read in general.

Its a very fun read.

ShaneB - no Seahawks this year?

Heh, thinks got complicated and explained a bunch in the NFL threads. But yeah, didn't feel right and figured to move on.

Still deciding what to read next.

oyKOsLI.png

It's not normal of me to read romance/bodice-rippers novels; I usually read thrillers, mysteries, and sci-fi's.

Why am I reading it?

I really don't know.

Dresden

I should talk about something I did read. Am nearly through Dead Souls, and have enjoyed it very much. Otherwise it was nothing but comics this week.

Necrovex

I should talk about something I did read. Am nearly through Dead Souls, and have enjoyed it very much. Otherwise it was nothing but comics this week.

Comics are very important to talk about. Like I am reading through Fables, Plato, and Solanin at the moment while trying to get through the second book of 1Q84. Balancing comics and novels is an extremely difficult feat.

Oh yeah, I am attempting to read through the Marvel canon. I am starting on the Marvel Knights era, starting with Inhumans, Black Panther, and Daredevil.

Nuke Soda

160 pages into One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and enjoying it immensely. It deals with some bizarre stuff with some interesting characters (so far) and it just a joy to read.

Woorloog

Banned
Finishes Limit.
In the end, it wasn't so bad but it was definitely too long and slow, at first. The near-end was quite thrilling actually.
Not a book i'll be reading again though, not that good. For me, a good book is a book i can read a few times, and an excellent book is something i can read many, many times (and the same applies to films and games and other things).

Now to continue re-read of ASOIAF... Not that interested though, i feel like i want to read more scifi but i can't find the sort i like (Limit was hard scifi but it was more of a thriller than a scifi book, the focus wasn't really on the scifi stuff).

TTG

Finished Authority by Vandermeer yesterday. There's been some talk about him here, so I won't bother linking/posting the cover image.

It kept enough momentum to check out the third and final book when that comes out, but it wasn't as strong as the first. The shift in setting was great if ultimately unfulfilling, the horror elements are still effective(
when the words/sermon first showed back up, that shit was downright unsettling
) and the ending is successful as well. The sustained surreal feel of it is more powerful this time as well because obviously there are no clear ground rules.

My gripes really come down to two points. First, the Matrix 2 vibes were coming on strong, not to mention clearly telegraphed. I found myself waiting for the resolution/breakdown, which exposes the artifice of the structure. For a book that's so much about atmosphere, breaking immersion like that counts for a lot. Second, the frustration that meets Control at every turn, that became my primary reaction for a sizable part of the novel as well. Vandermeer wants to keep most of this a secret until the very last moments I gather, that also means we make very little progress, much less than the first book actually, over an appreciably longer sequel. That means we're left with the characters from Southern Reach and Control and I didn't find them very compelling.

So, still good, but we've hit a rough patch here. It loads up a lot of expectations for the third, rather than outright failing.

Finished Authority by Vandermeer yesterday. There's been some talk about him here, so I won't bother linking/posting the cover image.

It kept enough momentum to check out the third and final book when that comes out, but it wasn't as strong as the first. The shift in setting was great if ultimately unfulfilling, the horror elements are still effective(
when the words/sermon first showed back up, that shit was downright unsettling
) and the ending is successful as well. The sustained surreal feel of it is more powerful this time as well because obviously there are no clear ground rules.

My gripes really come down to two points. First, the Matrix 2 vibes were coming on strong, not to mention clearly telegraphed. I found myself waiting for the resolution/breakdown, which exposes the artifice of the structure. For a book that's so much about atmosphere, breaking immersion like that counts for a lot. Second, the frustration that meets Control at every turn, that became my primary reaction for a sizable part of the novel as well. Vandermeer wants to keep most of this a secret until the very last moments I gather, that also means we make very little progress, much less than the first book actually, over an appreciably longer sequel. That means we're left with the characters from Southern Reach and Control and I didn't find them very compelling.

So, still good, but we've hit a rough patch here. It loads up a lot of expectations for the third, rather than outright failing.

One small thing that I cannot decide how I feel about, but seems to be taking me out of the book, is the way the narration will seemingly address the reader with second person or suddenly take up Control's thought (and voice) by employing fragments at odd times. Fragments in the truest sense: basically unfinished thoughts. I feel like this book might have been first person at one point, but not all of the narration was adapted to fit the 3rd person change.

But I do agree, I'm not totally sold on Control . . . at least, not in the same way I was in the Biologist.

TTG

One small thing that I cannot decide how I feel about, but seems to be taking me out of the book, is the way the narration will seemingly address the reader with second person or suddenly take up Control's thought (and voice) by employing fragments at odd times. Fragments in the truest sense: basically unfinished thoughts. I feel like this book might have been first person at one point, but not all of the narration was adapted to fit the 3rd person change.

But I do agree, I'm not totally sold on Control . . . at least, not in the same way I was in the Biologist.

I did not pick up on that. What did you make of the climactic chapter being numbered 00X and the dream chapters being 000?
Is Area X seeping into his mind/dreams? Has it been doing so for a long time because he grew up in the area, or something else entirely? This has to be connected to the third book somehow, right? Control isn't showing up in Area X as just another guy, he's got some connections that are very nebulous so far, beyond being director for a week that is.

As far as the cast of characters not living up to the first batch, Vandermeer had a misstep there. I don't know if there was a conversation that felt real or genuine in the whole book, besides maybe the very last encounter Control has. Everything is smeared in an unreality. I wanted Control to shake the shit out of someone, anyone at some point or another, have a real moment. In Annihilation, there was far less to work with for the Biologist, but the dialogue worked well, observations and doubts about her squad were pointed. It's as if the author was working so hard on establishing this surreal mood throughout there was nothing concrete left of these characters.

I did not pick up on that. What did you make of the climactic chapter being numbered 00X and the dream chapters being 000?
Is Area X seeping into his mind/dreams? Has it been doing so for a long time because he grew up in the area, or something else entirely? This has to be connected to the third book somehow, right? Control isn't showing up in Area X as just another guy, he's got some connections that are very nebulous so far, beyond being director for a week that is.

As far as the cast of characters not living up to the first batch, Vandermeer had a misstep there. I don't know if there was a conversation that felt real or genuine in the whole book, besides maybe the very last encounter Control has. Everything is smeared in an unreality. I wanted Control to shake the shit out of someone, anyone at some point or another, have a real moment. In Annihilation, there was far less to work with for the Biologist, but the dialogue worked well, observations and doubts about her squad were pointed. It's as if the author was working so hard on establishing this surreal mood throughout there was nothing concrete left of these characters.

I'm only on page 135, so I've got a ways to go still :) But I'll post my thoughts once I finish, hopefully in the next day or two depending on my school work load.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Took a break from "The Count of Monte Cristo" since it's like a zillion pages long to enjoy "Of Peace of Mind" by Seneca to try to get a better understanding while currently re-reading "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius Antoninus.

I find these books about Stoicism to be very refreshing and enlightening. They reach me in a way that Buddhism hasn't (Yet!). I'm wondering if, understanding that "Of Peace of Mind" and "Meditations" are all I've read so far, if you guys might have any other suggestions?

I've much more enjoyed Aurelius to Seneca. "Of Peace of Mind" didn't catch me quite like "Meditations". I think "Meditations" may be one of the most perfect books I've read. It is comprehensive yet digestible, and smartly written yet shows an economy of words that I can really appreciate.

Piecake

Thinking, Fast and Slow was interesting and had some good information, but was a bit dull. Still, I am glad I read it.

I am now reading this. I am not too far in, but it is really interesting. I am tempted to create a memory palace myself since I would be amazing to actually remember details of books that I read months/years ago. I haven't gotten to the point where he really explains it.

I think this is my last psych book. Back to history after this. Was a nice diversion though.

Ceebs

Not really been in the reading mood this month so far, but I did order a copy of this after being intrigued by the movie trailer, which I read yesterday.

hornsuxcoh.jpg

Really enjoyed it. I found myself with a mix of sick glee as things progressed with the main character and then some genuine repulsion when the POV shifted to the villain. Never read him before, but I think he has his dad's knack for capturing the feeling of teenage years. Sadly none of his other novels really jump out at me as sounding very interesting.

Now starting something I had on my shelf for a while I never got around to:

lifeafterlifekechg.jpg

Just finished Annihilation. Definitely one of the more interesting fiction books I've read in quite some time. I've got a hold placed on Authority, so in the meantime:

Gone_Girl_(Flynn_novel).jpg

I've heard mixed things about this book but I like it so far, granted I'm only about 6% in.

Renting e-books from the library is so awesome!

Palmer_v1

Yay New thread.

Still making my way through this. Loving it.

17827166.jpg

The Humans by Matt Haig

I read this based on the praise here, and enjoyed it a lot. Felt a bit like if Ford Prefect never left Earth. I woke my wife up, laughing, when I got to the part about nipples.

I also read Child of a Hidden Sea by A. M. Dellamonica, again based on GAF recommendations in the July thread I think.

I liked it overall, but it seemed to go by really fast, and had what felt like a sudden, anti-climatic, ending. Liked the characters a lot though, particularly the strong female leads. I would read further books based on these characters and world.

Now I need to find something else in the fantasy/sci fi realm to read.

Edit: Nevermind, this settled it for me:

It's out!

W4pTXQp.jpg

Krowley

hornsuxcoh.jpg

Really enjoyed it. I found myself with a mix of sick glee as things progressed with the main character and then some genuine repulsion when the POV shifted to the villain. Never read him before, but I think he has his dad's knack for capturing the feeling of teenage years. Sadly none of his other novels really jump out at me as sounding very interesting.

For what its worth, I've like both his other novels more than Horns. It's really good, but it almost feels like a short story that got inflated to me.

Heart shaped box was genuinely creepy, much creepier than you would probably think based on the premise. It has some problems but its one of the scarier horror novels I've read in recent years.

I think NOS4A2 is his most enjoyable book, though not as scary as Heart Shaped Box. It's less a horror novel, and more a contemporary fantasy with some very dark elements. I would compare it to something like American Gods, only somewhat creepier. The characters were great and the story has a bit of an epic sweep to it.

Cerity

Just finished up Bridge of Birds, struggled with it for awhile until I sat myself down to power through the rest of it. I usually do my reading in short bursts (on the toilet, before bed) until something about the book hooks me and keeps me reading. I wanted to move onto another book, this was short enough so I did sit down and just finish it off. Probably the first 80% of the book is what I feel to be someone's idea of how an ancient tale would be told. The writing flitted across ideas and told you the key points, where the points themselves were the entertaining parts. I'm not too big on this not so detailed style of delivery when reading which is why I struggled with it for awhile. I feel I'd prefer it to be told in a bar room, around a campfire - that type of deal.

Though, the book shines in the last 20% or so, the way Hughart wraps everything up is fantastic. It really played to a younger/pure self where you want to see it all end on a good note. Very little, if anything at all was left unanswered and all the characters you were introduced to ultimately had their own good ending.

A solid 4, leaning towards 4.5/5.

I feel like reading more Murakami at this stage, moreso with the release of his latest book. Maybe Norwegian Wood or After Dark.

O.DOGG

Just finished The Dispossessed. It was a bit slow for the first half of the book but it picked up afterwards. I noticed the same was true for the only other book of Le Guin's I've read so far - The Right Hand of Darkness. Both have fascinating worlds and interesting, developed characters. I imagine this is what true science fiction is.

Moving on to Dying Inside.

DyingInside%281stEd%29.jpg

Just finished up Bridge of Birds, struggled with it for awhile until I sat myself down to power through the rest of it. I usually do my reading in short bursts (on the toilet, before bed) until something about the book hooks me and keeps me reading. I wanted to move onto another book, this was short enough so I did sit down and just finish it off. Probably the first 80% of the book is what I feel to be someone's idea of how an ancient tale would be told. The writing flitted across ideas and told you the key points, where the points themselves were the entertaining parts. I'm not too big on this not so detailed style of delivery when reading which is why I struggled with it for awhile. I feel I'd prefer it to be told in a bar room, around a campfire - that type of deal.

Though, the book shines in the last 20% or so, the way Hughart wraps everything up is fantastic. It really played to a younger/pure self where you want to see it all end on a good note. Very little, if anything at all was left unanswered and all the characters you were introduced to ultimately had their own good ending.

A solid 4, leaning towards 4.5/5.

I feel like reading more Murakami at this stage, moreso with the release of his latest book. Maybe Norwegian Wood or After Dark.

I'm glad to hear that you liked Bridge of Birds. The sequels, IMO, are even better. He learned a lot going to books 2 and 3.

Nuke Soda

Just finished Annihilation. Definitely one of the more interesting fiction books I've read in quite some time. I've got a hold placed on Authority, so in the meantime:

I've heard mixed things about this book but I like it so far, granted I'm only about 6% in.

Gone Girl is good. Not sure it will be a very good movie though.

Vyer

I thought the first half of Gone Girl was impressive, mainly because of how well the book pulls off what I consider a difficult task. The second half is a little less impressive IMO but it's still all in all an entertaining read.

Cerity

Aaand just finished up Norwegian Wood. Still have to collect my thoughts on it given I more or less finished it in less than 12 hours. God bless public holidays.

I thought the first half of Gone Girl was impressive, mainly because of how well the book pulls off what I consider a difficult task. The second half is a little less impressive IMO but it's still all in all an entertaining read.

I finished the book last night and was just going to post that. I didn't enjoy the book quite as much after
it was revealed that Amy is fucking crazy and staged the whole thing
. But overall, it was a great read. I also agree with Nuke Soda in that I don't know if it's going to make for a good movie.

Now reading:

authority.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Mr.Swag

Banned
Is any Tom Clancy novel a must read? Never read one. Don't care for reading such a large series in chronological order, so I want to just try out the best one.

Is any Tom Clancy novel a must read? Never read one. Don't care for reading such a large series in chronological order, so I want to just try out the best one.
Red Storm Rising is a stand alone. I read it 20 years ago so time may have eroded my memory, but I consider it one of Clancy's best (without needing to be immersed in the Jack Ryan canon).

duckroll

I'm reading that right now too! Picked it up the other day from the library on a whim. I was actually curious as to what made it interesting enough for Fincher to watch to direct, and the author doing the movie screenplay is pretty rare too. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's going to be interesting to see how the movie is adapted, because it seems to lean very heavily on being a written narrative.

TTG

I'm still in the middle of this, but felt like I had to post. Went into it with cautious optimism. I read the first three in The Foundation series a long time back and while I liked it, the combination of the big concepts(I don't know how else to define it, call it a premise that can be defined in one line) being the sole focus and those same concepts no longer being novel(it's been a while and those books were the inspiration for a lot of stuff) took away from the experience.

Well, so far I, Robot is a lot more charming and relatively timeless. With how we conceive AI now, it requires perhaps more suspension of disbelief than some newer books, but really it's not so grating. It's is structured as a series of short stories and they're really fucking good! I'm currently on the fourth and Asimov is batting 3 for 3, including a complete home run in this: Reason. In order, we had a charming story, then an awe inspiring one and finally one of my absolute favorites: when sci fi and philosophy combine.

phaze

412b9asnkxql._bo12042iqo78.jpg

Is dated and though the author tries to maintain objectivity, too harsh on Monty and Brits as a whole. Maps are few and with little detail, the author devotes most of his time on interpersonal relations especially Monty-Ike, sometimes almost to the complete exclusion of actual military operations. Big plus is an extensive quoting from correspondence and directives with a whole appendix dedicated to them.

Still reading:
Red Storm Over the Balkans: The Failed Soviet Invasion of Romania. - Glantz
Monty: The Lonely Leader - Alistair Horne

Item Box

Gonna start reading Ready Player One by Earnest Cline today.

Ready-Player-One-Paperback-Cover1.jpeg

Kinda just bought it on a whim after seeing good reviews for it, and after reading the synopsis on the book I hope I don't regret it, sounds just like sword art online.

That's not a good thing.

Top Bottom