• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? - Christmas reprint

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I searched and there doesn't seem to be one for this month.

510j9vgdfpl.jpg

Just finished watching the BBC TV series and thought I'd check out the book seeing how I loved American Gods.

Also, Lenny Henry co-wrote the script for Neverwhere. Lenny Henry.

eznark

Banned
Rereading it because I finally got around to picking up the paperback and I have some time off and travel coming up.

20070528_radicals.jpg

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
reading this:
51FVNE8GCBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

some stories(all) are so depressing and sad but well there is no but as far as i know they're all really depressing and sad and they're giving me bad dreams - nightmares

156d5kj.jpg

I just finished Bad Monkeys, recommended by some gaffer in another book thread about which books would make good videogames.

Although I don't think it would make a good game, I really really enjoyed reading it.

Rezbit

I have decided to broaden my literary horizons, so I'm getting into some canonical texts. Currently going through Dante's Divine Comedy, and next up will probably be Milton's Paradise Lost.

I've started my second attempt to read through the Lord of the Rings books. They are really well written, so hopefully this time I make it through the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil.

Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged.

It's weird and very out of date in the modern world, but I've still found it very inspiring, and wish I'd been able to read it earlier in my life - it would have helped. I don't think her POV is the ultimate end of everything, as there are definitely some facts of life outside her scope. However it still counts as a remarkable and impressive work imo, and apart from anything else I'm enjoying the characters and their story.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
10r05sh.jpg

Still working my way through 2666. It's an amazing read, but I take it in pretty small bites, so this'll be next to my bed for a while.

2a0i544.jpg

Also flipping through What to Say... a bit as it was recommended by my boss after I had a breakdown at work last week. I feel sort of like a heel for even having one of these self help books in my posession, but I'll give it a chance.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
straydog1980 said:
156d5kj.jpg

I just finished Bad Monkeys, recommended by some gaffer in another book thread about which books would make good videogames.

Although I don't think it would make a good game, I really really enjoyed reading it.

That was me. It has lotsa good props for a game... Also 2666 is amazing

zaxor0

myth_of_sisyphus.jpg

But I just found out its on my list of books for next semester, so I might switch to this (provided I get it tomorrow)

9780061575594.jpg

VALIS

Fallout-NL said:
image of 'On the Road'

Is this the new edition that publishes the original, unedited scroll for the first time? I need to read that.

I've been reading a lot of music biographies lately. Particularly this

51u4QBUfukL._SS500_.jpg

and this

51ea-VeWZLL._SS500_.jpg

`Moe Joe.

Banned
I'm a noob when it comes to new book news. Are there any good book review sites that can get me into the knowledge of the bad books and the good? I'm sick of blind buying books :S

Thanks.

GhaleonEB

I don't have it yet, but the new Stephen King collection of short stories is on hold at the library for me. That's up next.

way more

StoOgE said:
about halfway through it.

0553573403.01.L

I'm not sure of how to make fun of you. Clearly you read a book that a child would. Irrespective, I will report my own readings.

0345348036.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

6a00d09e6c58b1be2b00e398f0942b0005-320pi

Edit: /Stooge I like you and I like your posts.

zaxor0

primemover21 said:
prob. the most difficult book i've ever read

I am really interested in Hiedegger. I've only read a essay about the concept of time by him, but I really want to know more. Hopefully it isn't as bad a the Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel, I couldn't finish the 50 page preface. Though I think I will try to tackle it this summer.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Besides the stuff I posted in the other thread we just had, I've started

180px-Black_Like_Me.jpg

It only took a couple pages for my worries of condescension and racism on the author's part himself to float away; dude's very smart and in-touch with the human condition.

el jacko said:
24637199.jpg

it's pretty good!
That looks cool.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
`Moe Joe. said:
I'm a noob when it comes to new book news. Are there any good book review sites that can get me into the knowledge of the bad books and the good? I'm sick of blind buying books :S

Thanks.

New books are not good, that should help :lol

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
51CoEFDzD1L._SS500_.jpg

"I suppose I was young when I first saw them," King Haggard said. "Now I must be old—at least I have picked many more things up than I had then, and put them all down again. But I always knew that nothing was worth the investment of my heart, because nothing lasts, and I was right, and so I was always old. Yet each time I see my unicorns, it is like that morning in the woods, and I am truly young in spite of myself, and anything can happen in a world that holds such beauty."

Such a wonderful, wonderful book.

Meloche

Just about to start this:

51R25ckfb7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Seems kind of topical.

Also on the list is The code book : the evolution of secrecy from Mary, Queen of Scots, to quantum cryptography by Simon Singh, which was recommended in another of these threads.
`Moe Joe. said:

Thanks.
Whenever I hear about a book I check out the reviews on Amazon. Usually the aggregate score isn't particularly useful but you can usually find some great reviews that'll let you know what to expect. Also if you're tired of wasting money on books you're not sure you'll like, try going to the library. It's a wonderful resource.

Falch

neuromancer.jpg

About halfway through. Incredible that this was written in 1984.

After that, I'll probably revisit this:

1857988477.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm also still reading through this:

smallgreene_the-fabric-of-the-cosmos.jpg

Fantastic stuff.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dostoevsky-Devils

Doesn't grab me like other Dostoevsky novels I've read. It's just a bit too ridiculous (but I know that's the point). I'm thinking about just dropping it in favor of The Adolescent.

Lelielle

thecommitmentsavage.jpg

AWESOME book so far I finished reading the preceding book "the Kid", really funny/crude/endearing/thought provoking duo of books, I would highly recommend them not just for the great writing, but for the multitude of issues it discusses in a very real, entertaining and clear way. excellent :D

Kildace

Just started
41fafkIky5L._SS500_.jpg

Hard to venture an opinion on a 1 200 page book after 50. I like the litterary style though (so far), it will be a good chance to increase my vocabulary.

Ace 8095

good_calories_bad_calories.jpg

This is probably to most the fascinating book on nutrition ever written. A must read if you have any interest on the subject.

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Joker (The new one). Going to re-read Watchmen over break and hopefully pick up All-Star Superman as well.

Drowned World - JG Ballard
World War Z - Max Brooks
Northern Lights (From his "Dark Materials" trilogy, ultimate Christmas book in my... book) - Pullman

Once these are out of the way, i'm thinking of starting the Twilight books (why not) or the "Song of Ice and Fire" saga

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Recently finished:
411XT7GWCRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This had a couple cool essays, but a lot of it was just a little too masturbatory of clever word play. I love his two novellas and his plays though.

51HMSF38DWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I finally read this one and it was really awesome. I don't know if I like the sound of the follow-ups, so I might just skip them and let this this one's ending stay pure.

Now I'm reading:
512QCMYCY7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Top Bottom